AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-11, 03:35   Link #23341
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
@TRL : You are getting slow as you get old. A number of your fellow countrymen keeping constantly in touch with geopolitics have already evaluated and switched their stances.
More like I used to be willing to give Beijing the benefit of the doubt, at least during the 1990s and 2000s, when the focus was very demonstrably on the doctrine of "peaceful rise".

When it comes to nationalist/sovereignty issues, the Chinese leadership has, until recently, been divided over them. On balance, Beijing had tended towards soft diplomacy. But it has become increasingly harder to rationalise Chinese intentions in the past year, as they have become very noticeably hawkish with regard to control of the South China Sea. With economic and military clout comes an ever bigger ego, ever greater arrogance. Chinese claims now border on the ludicrous — it's just that, diplomatically, nobody dares to tell off Beijing straight in the face. Too much monetary and economic costs are involved now. Beijing knows this and is using it to its advantage.
Old 2012-09-11, 03:38   Link #23342
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Beijing knows this and is using it to its advantage.
In war... money and weaponry works hand in hand...
Old 2012-09-11, 03:42   Link #23343
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
More like I used to be willing to give Beijing the benefit of the doubt, at least during the 1990s and 2000s, when the focus was very demonstrably on the doctrine of "peaceful rise".

When it comes to nationalist/sovereignty issues, the Chinese leadership has, until recently, been divided over them. On balance, Beijing had tended towards soft diplomacy. But it has become increasingly harder to rationalise Chinese intentions in the past year, as they have become very noticeably hawkish with regard to control of the South China Sea. With economic and military clout comes an ever bigger ego, ever greater arrogance. Chinese claims now border on the ludicrous — it's just that, diplomatically, nobody dares to tell off Beijing straight in the face. Too much monetary and economic costs are involved now. Beijing knows this and is using it to its advantage.
You grossly underestimated the power of greed.

Though it is beyond me how did they get to be so greedy and hellbent on world domination, like it is their right to be.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-11, 03:43   Link #23344
Sumeragi
Banned

Sinocentricism. More than slightly obvious.
Old 2012-09-11, 03:44   Link #23345
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Sinocentricism. More than slightly obvious.
I am Chinese but I don't see myself as a superior race, or originate from a superior land.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-11, 03:47   Link #23346
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
I am Chinese but I don't see myself as a superior race, or originate from a superior land.
In every nation there will always be people that think they are better than the others...
Old 2012-09-11, 03:50   Link #23347
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
In every nation there will always be people that think they are better than the others...
Usually I can't be bothered with these kind of people, but those supremacist Chinese who think that China is superior because they are rich, rising and powerful......somehow viewing them as dogs who think it is right to eat their own breed seems to be more apt.

Old 2012-09-11, 03:54   Link #23348
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Would the retro-1900s political cartoon have the Chinese dog barking but the American bald eagle still flying circles over it?
Old 2012-09-11, 05:45   Link #23349
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
So lets just bring back Ryukyu Kingdom and give the island to them, problem solved .
Ask Okinawa mayor if they want to buy and see whether the noise dies down...although Okinawa holding it is better than old fart Ishihara...

Quote:
Please don't lump us with the PRC....We are as different from them as mercury and silver.

Do you even think they honestly care two shits about people generations removed from them?

Sinocentrism deriving from the exploits of an eunch hundreds of years dead is a joke.

Quote:
Though it is beyond me how did they get to be so greedy and hellbent on world domination, like it is their right to be.
How long have they been demanding tribute from others again?

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2012-09-11 at 06:03.
Old 2012-09-11, 06:29   Link #23350
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Ask Okinawa mayor if they want to buy and see whether the noise dies down...although Okinawa holding it is better than old fart Ishihara...
Question : Can we get Ishihara to fly to Beijing to negotiate the off-limits deal? The outcome either way seem rather favourable to me.

Quote:
Please don't lump us with the PRC....We are as different from them as mercury and silver.

Do you even think they honestly care two shits about people generations removed from them?

Sinocentrism deriving from the exploits of an eunch hundreds of years dead is a joke.
Actually they do : as second-generation removed relatives who are now western dogs insulting their own origin and traitors to the motherland.

Mind you, I have heard that things along those lines a few times while taking public transport, before I own an MP3 player. It amazes me how they can speak ill of the locals in a foreign land by piggybacking on their motherland's rise.

Quote:
How long have they been demanding tribute from others again?
I am not going to comment on that because there are people who think one must bear their ancestors' sins.

Old 2012-09-11, 08:45   Link #23351
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I found looking at this map from Google very instructive.

Look at how Senkaku moves the (disputed) Japanese boundary substantially westward into the East China Sea. Most of the Ryukyu chain runs southwest along the crest of the volcanic ridge so clearly visible in the satellite photograph. Now look at where Senkaku lies. It is well west of Ryukyu chain and much closer to both China and Taiwan, the other two claimants for the islands. The islands themselves might not be much, but that strategic location coupled with international maritime rights and boundaries gives Japan a presence it would not otherwise have in the more navigable part of the Sea. Just looking at the situation geographically suggests that clear Japanese possession of puny Senkaku could have rather important strategic implications.
Cookies for you!
Old 2012-09-11, 12:46   Link #23352
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Not much new yet. Just some Chinese patrol ships heading that way.

Quote:
Japan has confirmed a deal to buy disputed islands in the East China Sea—but China has sent a pair of patrol ships to "assert (its own) sovereignty" over the land, in the words of state news. "The Chinese government will not sit idly by watching its territorial sovereignty being infringed upon," the country's foreign ministry said yesterday.

Japan holds that its purchase of what it calls Senkaku—in China and Taiwan, the islands are known as Diaoyu—is intended to keep the peace. "This should cause no problem for Japan's ties with other countries and regions," says an official. "We have absolutely no desire for any repercussions as far as Japan-China relations are concerned." But the deal has prompted protests outside Japan's Beijing embassy, and Taiwan has called the decision an "extremely unfriendly move," the BBC reports.
http://www.newser.com/story/153835/c..._medium=united
Old 2012-09-11, 14:19   Link #23353
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Usually I can't be bothered with these kind of people, but those supremacist Chinese who think that China is superior because they are rich, rising and powerful......somehow viewing them as dogs who think it is right to eat their own breed seems to be more apt.
Among the last few times a particular country started trying to show their "superiority" and force themselves into world politics because they felt being on the rise in a lot of domains, there was Germany under Wilhelm II. Should the PRC try something stupid at the same time it doesn't look too good for them on the diplomatic front (especially with their shit position about the Syrian conflict ), they will lead themselves on a path to their own demise just as it ended for Germany the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Not much new yet. Just some Chinese patrol ships heading that way.

http://www.newser.com/story/153835/c..._medium=united
How long do you think it will take before Japan sends elements of the JMSDF in response?
Old 2012-09-11, 14:24   Link #23354
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Nationalism, a secular version of pig-sty mind zealotry. People find it easy to spot the others but rarely notice their own. :P
Old 2012-09-11, 14:57   Link #23355
Sumeragi
Banned

No, that's ultranationalism. Nationalism is simple pride in the country.
Old 2012-09-11, 15:29   Link #23356
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
No, that's ultranationalism. Nationalism is simple pride in the country.
heh, that's a new word.... definitions shifted to the right.

When someone is called a "nationalist" in the news,it usually means something far more extreme than simply being fond of your country.
Old 2012-09-11, 15:36   Link #23357
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. expects to earn $15.1 billion from bailing out AIG: Treasury
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88A18D20120911

U.S. rejects Netanyahu meeting request: Israel official
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88A10B20120911

Egyptians angry at film scale U.S. embassy walls
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88A11N20120911
May someone say which movie ''caused'' this ?
Old 2012-09-11, 15:38   Link #23358
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
heh, that's a new word.... definitions shifted to the right.

When someone is called a "nationalist" in the news,it usually means something far more extreme than simply being fond of your country.
Of course, what the news say isn't necessarily the correct definition.
Old 2012-09-11, 17:59   Link #23359
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Apple turns legal guns on Polish retailer A.pl

Quote:
Apple, fresh from a patent victory against South Korean rival Samsung, has turned its sights on a smaller target - Polish online grocery website A.pl.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88A0IW20120911

seriously apple!? you now sue goddamn grocery store!

Old 2012-09-11, 18:32   Link #23360
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Egypt trying to persuade Iran to drop Assad
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-11-17-57-17

Striking Chicago teachers get support from parents
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-11-18-35-29

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international