AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 35 39.77%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 34.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 20.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.41%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-12, 17:49   Link #221
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Possibly, it's true that Ritsuko didn't have the Sakakibara name yet. While we don't even know that much about Kouichi's father to tell anything. All we know about the father side is that he's in India doing research and things. I first dubbed the father as NTR, but he could have some influence in this whole situation. Why dont we stuff him in class 3 as well to add to the story? Or maybe Reiko has something to do with the issue? She did seem very suspicious and very strict about the rules of the school.

Also, this story is set in 1998. So maybe the author took the Sakakibara incident, and dubbed it as "cruel death" in the story. Since the incident occurred in 1997, while I assume his father didn't have his name like that? Of course that incident could have no meaning in this anime.
Old 2012-02-12, 17:53   Link #222
monsta666

I think the pace of the anime thus far has been good. They have generally done a good job of building the suspense but have not dragged things too long which would have only created frustration rather than anticipation for the upcoming events.

If I were one of the classmates, I am not sure what I would do. Most school yard rumours are a loud of crock and even as a kid you knew they were rubbish so the rumours would spread freely. But if the deaths happened on such a consistent basis then probably not although I am surprised no drastic action was taken such as people refusing to join class 3 or any of its substitutes or the school hits the papers for being cursed etc leading to other major actions. But perhaps that will be explained in later episodes. I do like how they have not relied so heavily on gruesome deaths to carry this series although saying that some of the deaths especially the first one was a little suspect in terms of plausibility.
Old 2012-02-12, 17:54   Link #223
kitten320

^No I wouldn't. But if I were Kouichi I would start to demand answers long time ago especially after everyone are mentioning curses behind my back and are acting weird all the time. Also class can't expect him to ignore someone for no reason without any kind of explanation or hint. And how can he follow the rules if he never got them?

He never pushed the issue forward and just accepted things while doing small staff in the background. The only time he really pushed it was now in episode 5. Though there better be explanation as to why Mei is not affected, is it because she got isolated? Also the curse only affects people in class 3 and their relatives so why not ask someone from different class or a staff member that is not related?

Also it is dumb that they still keep the cursed class. New principle excuse doesn't work because deaths started way back in the past.

And especially to hardcore fans who don't like my negative comments, if shows were to be watched only by those who LOVE them, every single one would have a perfect score then and we would have millions of garbage. So learn to deal with those who disagree with you. And at least try to bother to mention your name when neg repping. Saying that I'm idiot really doesn't help the issue, just shows how narrow minded some people are here.

No offence to those who were bringing facts into our discussions, I do appreciate that. This is one of the reasons why I am willing to keep watching and stop complaining until the show stops airing. Who knows, I might end up praising the second part.
Old 2012-02-12, 17:56   Link #224
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Why dont we stuff him in class 3 as well to add to the story?
Though you'd think that if Kouichi spotted his mom in the class picture he'd be able to spot his dad as well in the same one.

I figure he's in india because he wants nothing to do with that village

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
But if I were Kouichi I would start to demand answers long time ago especially after everyone are mentioning curses behind my back and are acting weird all the time.
I know you want to know stuff as quickly as possible but all you would have done is get people killed a whole lot quicker considering that it seems acknowledging Mei's existance seems to be signing your death warrant,you might find it hard to believe but there's people that are calling Kouichi stupid for being too puching.If the anime had him being being even more puching there would be even more of those complaints.

Quote:
Also class can't expect him to ignore someone for no reason without any kind of explanation or hint. And how can he follow the rules if he never got them?Of course the class knows that
They don't expect him too,that's why they're so fustrated,they're not mad at him per se,they're just fustrated at the situation they're in

Quote:
Though there better be explanation as to why Mei is not affected, is it because she got isolated?
Well first of all who says she's not affected? While I personaly don't adhere to it there's the theory that her cousin dying in april makes her the first victim of the curse.
Then maybe she'll be affected later or as you said maybe we'll be given a eason why she's not.
Though we might not need a reason at all,nowhere have we heard that the curse affects every student in class 3

Quote:
Also the curse only affects people in class 3 and their relatives so why not ask someone from different class or a staff member that is not related?
On that one,I'll add something that puzzles me,as far as I know the staff is unaffected by the curse,so why wasn't the teacher of class 3 able to tell Kouichi about the situation?

Quote:
Also it is dumb that they still keep the cursed class. New principle excuse doesn't work because deaths started way back in the past.
Again,nowhere does it say that the curse happened every year,and even then,they tried changing rooms,changing names etc,you've got to put the students somewhere and it just seemed to stick whatever they did.

Last edited by totoum; 2012-02-12 at 18:49.
Old 2012-02-12, 18:43   Link #225
monsta666

Quote:
^No I wouldn't. But if I were Kouichi I would start to demand answers long time ago especially after everyone are mentioning curses behind my back and are acting weird all the time. Also class can't expect him to ignore someone for no reason without any kind of explanation or hint. And how can he follow the rules if he never got them?
I think some of the class were tempted to tell him but there would have been strong peer pressure not to do so. Not only from classmates but also from parents particularly if the guy was new and was going away soon. I suppose they hoped nothing would have happened and so not telling would be a non-issue. That didn't happen and by the time the first death occurred they felt it was too late to say anything as interacting with the "ghost" would simply spur more deaths as the curse runs its course. Since ignoring him is a known countermeasure to halting this curse they just figured it was in the best interests of the group to ignore him even if that was cruel on the individual.

Sure it is unfair for the guy and maybe it could have been handled better but like some classmate said earlier: what is done is done. We cannot change the past. The time to tell him was right at the start but that opportunity was squandered.

Quote:
Now I am surprised by them keeping the class too. But I guess this is just a anime series so this detail can be overlooked although maybe they may explain why class three was not simply abandoned and they just expanded the other classes to absorb the excess students. The other alternative if people were paranoid enough was to open another school or make kids go to a school outside town. I suspect a combination of the above would be taken but well we wouldn't really have a anime series if people behaved in this more logical manner. So some suspension of disbelief is required at least on this end.

Quote:
And especially to hardcore fans who don't like my negative comments, if shows were to be watched only by those who LOVE them, every single one would have a perfect score then and we would have millions of garbage. So learn to deal with those who disagree with you. And at least try to bother to mention your name when neg repping. Saying that I'm idiot really doesn't help the issue, just shows how narrow minded some people are here.
That is cool. Sometimes it is useful to hear some critical comments and this is especially true for lurkers who will trawl through old series to see if it is worthwhile to watch a series. I know I do that and sometimes actively look for the odd negative point as people have a tendency to gloss over the bad points and only talk about the good thus creating a positive bias for the series.

However - and this is only from my experience in other forums - ranting on and on about how bad a series is can be annoying for other posters in the thread. This is particularly true if the person does not provide constructive reasons for the negative posts which is the case for the majority of cases although not for you. So that is why people have a beef with it. As long as you are critical but civil towards other posters you should not run into too many problems. But all this is just my opinion. Take it for what it is worth and my opinion is absolutely worthless and comes free with charge! :P
Old 2012-02-12, 18:49   Link #226
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
And especially to hardcore fans who don't like my negative comments, if shows were to be watched only by those who LOVE them, every single one would have a perfect score then and we would have millions of garbage. So learn to deal with those who disagree with you.
Now I agree with that 100%... and with everything else you said. Sometimes I get the feeling that a negative opinion isnt welcome in the forums.... its like "if you dont want to praise it, better be quiet". But isnt a forum about exchanging opinions? Also, if people were only praising a show, then how do you get an idea about how good or bad it is?

Quote:
And at least try to bother to mention your name when neg repping. Saying that I'm idiot really doesn't help the issue, just shows how narrow minded some people are here.
Thats kind of nasty and cowardly.... but then again, I can see how people are afraid of retaliation. On a side note, I frequently forget to sign positive rep. So for those who got one and are wondering from who... its prolly me....
Old 2012-02-12, 18:59   Link #227
kitten320

They still can't expect him to just ignore Mei for no reason what so ever =/

Yeh I know, but I believe that setting could be done a bit better. Or with better excuses, hopefully there will be some.

That's what I do too
I know what you mean but I've been moaning only for 2-3 days, you can't say it's a lot. And truthfully if no one replied, I would've been quiet
Though I'm glad that I got responses, that cleared some things up for me.

Well as promised I'll try to keep it down for next 7 episodes now that I let the steam out. Besides we got pass the part that really bothered me so it will take a lot of time before something else could start to bug me
Hopefully nothing will

warita
I always thought that what one of naruto forums had was a great function. No matter what rep you received, be it positive or negative, the name of a person was always attached by a system. I find it useful because for one you know who the person was and when you know, it makes you less annoyed and by that minimizes the moaning around.
I hate talking about neg reps but most of them are so dumb and plain that it is hard to be quiet especially when you don't know whom to address about it =/
I don't mind neg rep when it's with proper reason and deserved but when you get rep saying "idiot" or "You spelled the name wrong" it's just... ugh >.<

P.S. And thanks for positive reps but really there is no need for that. I pointed neg rep out in hope to make people address the issue directly, not to get points back. But still thanks

Last edited by kitten320; 2012-02-12 at 19:10.
Old 2012-02-12, 19:28   Link #228
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

(Concerning the topic of why not ask other class students) Remember the different P.E. schedules between the classes? As well as the nurse getting caught in the elevator? It also applies to people that associate themselves with class 3 students. So I assume that the other classes don't want to affiliate themselves with a cursed class bound for death.
Old 2012-02-12, 19:40   Link #229
kitten320

The nurse was a sister of one of the guys, she had direct connection since she was relative.

Other students are not blood related.
Old 2012-02-12, 19:45   Link #230
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Ah, that brother keeps slipping out of my mind. Probably because we don't even know 85% of class 3. So it just comes to the conclusion that the other classes think they are just accidents.
Old 2012-02-12, 21:20   Link #231
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Oh, come on. People who have been around long enough will know that I've ranted on my fair share of shows, the most recent of which I vividly remember was AnoHana. Sure, I get my share of negreps, but in making such remarks, I was prepared for the backlash. So, I don't bother to air my displeasure about receiving them — they come with the territory. What's more surprising is that I get cookies for daring to voice my thoughts.

The difference lies in the way one vents. In your case, you insist that there is something intrinsically flawed about Another when, as far as I can tell, it's really just you — your reactions to the story — not the show itself.

Case in point:
Quote:
At least (Shiki) was different from norm. Here almost every character has the same face.
Yet, on Star Crossed Anime Blog, you have this view:
Quote:
That also has a very interesting effect that I applauded this series for: there are no copy-paste students in that class. Everyone here feels like a proper classmate, there just are a bunch of them who don’t talk to the main character.
So, what now? Are the students cookie-cutter characters, or not? Neither, necessarily. It depends on the viewer. In your case, they seem the same kind of bland. In my case, I'm impressed that every classmate has a different design and a name (some students have just one, others have two... well, we'll soon see if this matters...).

Similarly, just as Shiki worked for you, it didn't for me. That show was a bore for me almost from the third or fourth episode, once it became clear what was going on. I even predicted how the main antagonist would behave. The set-up was straight out of an Anne Rice novel. I never enjoyed her re-invention of a genre that spawned a generation of poor imitations. So, that's possibly why I never could quite get into Shiki, among its other perceived flaws.

It's fine to criticise, as long as you're aware of the limitations of your own critique. Most reasonable people will know when you're being fair, and not just throwing rotten tomatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Thats kind of nasty and cowardly.... but then again, I can see how people are afraid of retaliation. On a side note, I frequently forget to sign positive rep. So for those who got one and are wondering from who... its prolly me...
I don't just "forget" — I don't even sign my reps any more (unless the very rare instance calls for it). Good or bad, I just hand them out, as fairly as I can. That way, I won't have anything on my conscience: I no longer worry that I'm fishing for praise in return.
Old 2012-02-12, 22:03   Link #232
kitten320

TinyRedLeaf
Truthfully most of neg reps make me laugh but I still have the urge to pick on some of them. The anonymous is the main issue for that because its cowardly.

Well I totally can't agree with that. Take a look at class photo, just by changing few hairstyles, you'll get a twin.
The most noticeable is twin tails girl and teacher, especially in that official photo. Their face is identical. I also never took notice of heart problematic kid until he died, that's an issue. In Shiki I at least knew who the characters are before they died.
Old 2012-02-12, 22:58   Link #233
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Excellent episode. Oh man. Now we know she isn't a ghost. I would have never thought that they could ignore her that well.

Now then... will love break the curse?
Old 2012-02-12, 23:01   Link #234
sa547
*Author

^
Tomorrow's the 14th, and I suppose that this week's episode, well , has a romantic angle amidst the fear gripping all (except for those two "outcasts") of 3-3.
Old 2012-02-12, 23:10   Link #235
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Well I totally can't agree with that. Take a look at class photo, just by changing few hairstyles, you'll get a twin.
The most noticeable is twin tails girl and teacher, especially in that official photo. Their face is identical. I also never took notice of heart problematic kid until he died, that's an issue. In Shiki I at least knew who the characters are before they died.
But you have to admit that this is a "flaw" which carries with the medium as a whole, anime I mean. Once you go for a certain degree of abstraction, making characters look very stylized (which Noizi Itô does) hairstyle, shape/colour of the eyes and clothing is basically the only thing that distinguishes them from another.
Shiki basically HAD to go for a design which made characters easily recognizable when they tried actually taking a cast that was too big for it's 1271 pages source novel and fuse it into a manga which severely shortened the events down.

Another has a cast that is recognizably smaller and is adapted from a medium that doesn't even need to flesh out all of those classmates. Actually, considering that we are supposed to witness the events through Kôichi's perspective (which admittedly the anime fails at least partially at) it's understandable that we don't really know those characters compared to how the characters of Shiki interacted with each other.

And even further, look at a real life graduation picture taken at a school with uniforms and tell me you could immediatly differentiate each student from one another without even trying. Do it actually, just google 卒業写真.
Takabayashi (heart attack guy) was introduced in episode 1...if you didn't pay attention you would very likely have had the same reaction in real life. If you can't remember somebody who actually introduced himself to you and talked to you, it's not actually his fault alone. I'm not saying that Another's characters are great, I find many of them pretty bland as characters actually, but it does do a good job of portraying what an actuall class would be like for a transfer student.
Old 2012-02-13, 01:27   Link #236
molitar

Another point of total unreality in this show.. NOBODY appears to be panicking! You may die! Your family members may die! But they carry on.. only the one girl panicked when she realized she was a target.. otherwise it's like even though it's happening I refuse to believe it is!

Secondly if pretending one person does not exist why not just add an empty chair to the classroom and let it be 31 people in that class.. Or close off the class and you have to split the 30 people among the 4 other classes if their is five total classes.. all better than risking having your children killed.
Old 2012-02-13, 07:33   Link #237
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
Another point of total unreality in this show.. NOBODY appears to be panicking! You may die! Your family members may die! But they carry on.. only the one girl panicked when she realized she was a target.. otherwise it's like even though it's happening I refuse to believe it is!
Actually, panicking WILL kill you off faster... Panicking = acknowleding you're near death because of some curse that has activated cus of some transfer guy talking to Me- *gets a heart attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
Secondly if pretending one person does not exist why not just add an empty chair to the classroom and let it be 31 people in that class.. Or close off the class and you have to split the 30 people among the 4 other classes if their is five total classes.. all better than risking having your children killed.
(1) It's the fault of the class, not the anime. They were probably afraid to try other methods when they found out that the 'Let there be 1 nonexisting student' thing worked. They tried all sorts of methods alright, but it doesn't mean they haven't tried everything. For all we know, there may only be 13 death flags so far...or 20... or 25... etc. etc.

(2) Splitting the class won't work, cus (1) If you split the class, it'll only transfer the curse to an UNKNOWN class and thus set off panick to the other classes as well (This is why Class 3 is the only class that seemed to be isolated in the first place. If they were to close it, or split it, then who knows what'll happen next. (see Point #2 for a prediction) The last thing they'd want to spread to the other classes is fear. (2) Class 3... as stated, is a number, which means 3rd Class of the School's 9th Grade. Say you split that #3 class. Okay so we have 1, 2, 4... and probably 5, and 6. Will the curse hit a class? Yes. What number? Class # 4. If they were to do such a thing, this would be a probable outcome. Now I don't know what'll happen if there were only Class #1 and Class #2, but that same unpredictability is the very reason they can't do it. Hmm... maybe risk the school getting closed? But what about my animmmeeeeee.... I wonder what WOULD happen if the school closed?
Old 2012-02-13, 20:34   Link #238
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

In case you don't notice, but the class has been in a silent panic ever since the deaths started.
Old 2012-02-14, 07:45   Link #239
Unknown Soldier
:D

Quote:
TinyRedLeaf
Truthfully most of neg reps make me laugh but I still have the urge to pick on some of them. The anonymous is the main issue for that because its cowardly.
AS is currently the only forum which I frequent which still uses a rep system.

Most forums disable their rep systems, because of how easily they are abused, how people with lots of rep can easily destroy someone who posts only rarely with no rep, and yes, because they are anonymous and so are actually detrimental to a community because people can stab each other in the back. Rep systems inherently favor people who've been on a forum a long time and have had time to build up a lot of rep over people who either lurk most of the time or simply joined recently.

But really the biggest reason why most forums don't bother with rep systems is simply because if you post on a forum enough, people will know you, and you don't need a 20 green squares under your name, 1 green square, a black square, or 8 red squares for people to know what you're going to say.

This is completely off-topic though so I won't comment further.
Old 2012-02-14, 09:54   Link #240
Forsaken_Infinity

Yeah that stuff about neg reps is totally offtopic. You should pm an admin with your suggestions about the system although they already have heard anything you could possibly bring up (as told by an admin ). As regards to the anonymity, the point of the rep system is to give you personal feedback that lets the repper choose whether or not to remain anonymous. The suggestion that the name of the repper tag along has popped up only a gazillion times so far I bet and AS staff have made it obvious enough that they like things as is. If you so dislike it, just turn off your reputation (as have I and many others).

I was one of the guys (perhaps the only guy?) who negrepped you saying you were repeating issues that were already addressed in the thread btw. I don't like it when people keep blurting the same stuff out and as far as I can see, it's you who is either not bothering to keep up with the discussions or simply isn't comprehending it. You can dislike the show - no issues whatsoever with that - but reiterating the issues you have with it when they were already catered to gets annoying, especially if you are vocal and keep claiming that the flaws you see in the show are absolute when people already pointed out - with valid arguments - that they aren't even flaws beyond your subjective opinion.

The only reason I repped you and not post on the thread itself was because I repped you in some suggestion thread where you were harping on the show and it'd have been absolutely offtopic to talk about how you were ignoring the discussion that already addressed whatever issues you pointed out with the show. As to why not keep my name, why would I go out of my way to do that? I think I said no more than "go back to the thread and read the answers to the problems you have with the show - others brought it up and they were addressed several times already." so it's your loss if you let your temper flare up ^^

And that bit about Shiki is really offtopic but Shiki was awesome not because it's mystery was awesome (it wasn't a mystery in the first place and it was obvious how it was gonna play out) but because of the way it presented itself and more importantly, because of the way it went about the whole deal - it neither condoned nor condemned the shikis. That, combined with some memorable characters (unfortunately, more so from the side cast than the main cast) and good art and music made it a very good show. The high point of the show, as far as I am concerned, were the two extra episodes released with the DVD six months after the show stopped airing. And they were awesome not because there was a significant mystery but because of the portrayal of humans, all kinds of them, in face of a common - already discovered - enemy.