AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-01-22, 13:15   Link #201
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, I finally got around to watching the conclusion of this show - I don't think spoiler tags are necessary at this point, are they? Anyway...

I give the finale a solid "B" - I enjoyed the thoughtful contemplation of it and the way all the major characters were brought together. It had an element of anti-climax to it, though - which the whole series did, in some ways, as the story never quite lived up to the spectacular intro ep. Watching Shou-chan agonize over Miko, alternately reaching out and pushing away, was sheer torture - but I see their ending (the major unanswered question of the final arc) as optimistic. They're just too young to have a real relationship, but I get the sense that Miko is developing feelings for Shokichi that she doesn't quite understand yet. I think they have a chance (sequel, please!).

What disappointed me was that the main thrust of the series lost so much appeal. Yurie's cuteness (and whining) became overbearing, Mitsue was always a bit of a cipher and Matsuri only partially lowered her obnoxious shell. How ironic that in a show ostensibly about the girls, it was the boys who ended up being more interesting. Shou-chan, obviously, the strange and vexing Ken-chan, the trials of the insecure God Yashima, even the two otousans - the always appealing Hitotsubashi-san and the late-charging pathos of Saegusa-san - proved winning. Of the girls only little Miko actually grew in appeal as the series progressed, commanding center-stage with Shou-chan by the end of the run as far as plot development was concerned.

These are quibbles, in a way - this is a fine show all in all, with some of the best animation and music you'll see. It was a good ride, even if it fell just short of the greatness that was promised.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 16:00   Link #202
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The real loss for me is that the Miko+Shou-chan thread was the secret gold in this show and it was disappointing not to see more portrayed of that.
Heh, I think Miko has already won, packaged, and sealed the deal -- it's just a matter of training the poor boy

I think what enthralled me most about the series was just the atmosphere, the portrayal of the small town, its people, and the deeply wound integration of Shinto into daily life. I've been studying Shinto and Buddhism for the last few years and highly commend this series for any neophyte curious about the axioms of the place where anime comes from.

I rate it a must-have for any serious anime collector.
I agree, it was the small-scale interpretations of daily life in this magical town that impressed most, not the Godly adventures of Yurie. Kamichu is off the charts as far as atmospherics are concenred, and you'll rarely see Shinto portrayed so beautifully and understandably.

Of course it was disappointing not to see more Shou-chan and Miko stuff, but it did at least enter into the equation in the end - and it was the best part of the mix, for me. I agree that they have a good chance, but I don't think Miko is necessarily the instigator - Shou-chan is more ready for a "relationship" than she is, but doesn't know how to deal with it. When he grows into his feelings and learns how to communicate them to her, she'll be ready. It would be wonderful to see that development on screen, of course!
Old 2007-01-22, 17:00   Link #203
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I gave the show an A- ... but for pretty much the same quibbles as Enzo.
Mitsue wasn't so much a cipher but ultimately a quiet, little girl "with no distinguishing traits" Of course, I find girls like Matsuri delightful but diversity is what makes the world tick The only real derail (for me) was the martian episode.. .and I guess it would have been less annoying if placed a few episodes further into the series. It would have been nice to see more of the cute little musical goddess (purely for research of course ).

The real loss for me is that the Miko+Shou-chan thread was the secret gold in this show and it was disappointing not to see more portrayed of that.
Heh, I think Miko has already won, packaged, and sealed the deal -- it's just a matter of training the poor boy

I think what enthralled me most about the series was just the atmosphere, the portrayal of the small town, its people, and the deeply wound integration of Shinto into daily life. I've been studying Shinto and Buddhism for the last few years and highly commend this series for any neophyte curious about the axioms of the place where anime comes from.

I rate it a must-have for any serious anime collector.
Old 2008-07-27, 05:43   Link #204
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

And for those who missed Kamichu! collecting because Geneon went poof....

Funimation has announced it is picking up Kamichu! for re-release.
No word yet on details.

Buy Kamichu! The power of the goddess compels you.
Old 2008-08-19, 04:01   Link #205
nojay
Scanlator

Kamichu! in Onomichi

I was in Onomichi yesterday and found there was a small exhibit of Kamichu! material being held in a store in the shopping arcade. I picked up a couple of digital prints from the show but I couldn't buy a poster for the event since I didn't have space in my luggage for it.

The show finishes 24th August, sorry to say so it's not likely anybody else in the Western fan community will get to see it.
Old 2008-08-20, 22:14   Link #206
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
And for those who missed Kamichu! collecting because Geneon went poof....

Funimation has announced it is picking up Kamichu! for re-release.
No word yet on details.

Buy Kamichu! The power of the goddess compels you.
Ahhh...I kind of wished I hadn't already bought the Geneon boxed set now...the Funimation one will probably be cheaper, after all.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 22:25   Link #207
Asrialys

But the Geneon box looks so nice, especially if yours has that slip cover.
Old 2008-08-20, 22:27   Link #208
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
But the Geneon box looks so nice, especially if yours has that slip cover.
The quasi-wooden one? orz. I threw it away because I thought it was stupid.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 02:37   Link #209
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

... and many otaku cried out and were silenced by heart failure.
Old 2008-08-22, 02:52   Link #210
Asrialys

By the way, I thought I read somewhere that FUNimation will keep Geneon's normal pricing practices anyway. FUNimation is just the distributor, not the licenseholder.
Old 2009-03-30, 12:50   Link #211
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So - in the event anyone's interested, I just posted a Shoukichi/Miko-chan "After Story" over in "Fan Creations". With all these Clannad after-stories floating about, and after seeing that the Kamichu manga did no better than the anime (actually, worse) at tying up this wonderful subplot, I had an odd urge to just do it myself. So I did. Haven't really written fanfic in a long age, so I don't rally know why I felt the compulsion all of a sudden - like I said, the urge just came over me and it certainly wasn't ever going to be resolved any other way...
Old 2010-02-09, 15:49   Link #212
sirn
田舎者言うな

Kamichu! Blu-ray BOX is coming!

I can't say how long I waited, but finally…
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-10, 22:47   Link #213
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its a damn shame the blu-ray releases for all these series don't come with english subtitles. I'd probably more likely buy them than the R2-japan DVDs.

edit: its kind of amusing to read stuff I wrote 3-5 years ago on topics.
Old 2010-10-31, 12:12   Link #214
tyciol
*Artist

That renumbering with the DVD releases was a bit confusing, I am glad they wrote the guidelines on the page =)
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-12, 17:48   Link #215
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

The series was cute, it reminded me the film Spirited Away actually, though the love intrest being clueless some parts :/

Enjoyed the characters and the romance subplot was cute. The dad better higher Ken as some thing, boy needs a job to be able to even call his girlfriend :/

Over all so and so Anime. I enjoyed it for what it was worth. At least it had an actual ending too, I hate when Anime leave off with a to be continued type, than you really need a season two and you don't know if you'll get one or not.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slice of life