AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Fate/Zero - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 47 38.84%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 31.40%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 15.70%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.65%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.65%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.83%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.65%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-05, 14:11   Link #21
HandofFate

damn, it was all Shirley's fault, drinking that medicine out of nowhere.

question about those executor's swords/nails they always use...are they just bringing them out from hidden sleeves like a ninja, or do are they able to form a limitless number of them as some kind of religious ability.
Old 2012-05-05, 14:13   Link #22
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

These "swords", the Black Keys, aren't limitless at all: the executors of the church bring a certain amount of them (the hilts), and they materialize the blade by using their own prana, just like how Kirei did in a previous episode.
Old 2012-05-05, 14:23   Link #23
Humbaba

Damn. Is the next episode about Kiritsugu only again? He is the only character of this show I hate. Well, besides that, the episode was nice to watch, although the character I cared for died.. I liked the visuals and music here more than usual and this KnK feeling too.
I guess the next episode will be Heart of Freaks then? The problem is that I wonder if the whole rest of the series will fit into these last six episodes, considering the fact that the second season had a bunch of scenes that seemed way too rushed for me, atleast after the Caster fight. I really hope the next BD-box will contain a bit more extra minutes than the first one (and please not only about Kiritsugu).
Overall still a very good episode.
Humbaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 14:32   Link #24
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbaba View Post
Damn. Is the next episode about Kiritsugu only again? He is the only character of this show I hate. Well, besides that, the episode was nice to watch, although the character I cared for died.. I liked the visuals and music here more than usual and this KnK feeling too.
I guess the next episode will be Heart of Freaks then? The problem is that I wonder if the whole rest of the series will fit into these last six episodes, considering the fact that the second season had a bunch of scenes that seemed way too rushed for me, atleast after the Caster fight. I really hope the next BD-box will contain a bit more extra minutes than the first one (and please not only about Kiritsugu).
Overall still a very good episode.
Why shouldn't the BDs add more about Kiritsugu (and there probably will be some more additions)? He's the main character, and he's getting the character development he needs.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 14:41   Link #25
LostHanyou

Don't be so harsh on Kiritsugu. IMO, he becomes more likable as the series progresses.
LostHanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 14:56   Link #26
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkark07 View Post
Somehow I even felt bad when Kerry killed his father. But this makes me wonder, did he kill his father for become a hero or was it for vengeance?
Justice

just a slight difference from the novel. In the LN, Kiri didn't use a knife and shot his father from the back and the gun was given to him by Natalie. His father never saw it coming.
Old 2012-05-05, 15:14   Link #27
jorez
but the kid is not my son

Send a message via MSN to jorez
Hey there, Willy Wonka. I missed you, bro. At least, you did better than what you did in Mujun Rasen.

Kalafina's B side should be the permanent ED. That song is godlike.

As for the episode, interesting, but it also made me have some questions. Those questions shall be answered reading the wikia, though.

jorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 15:44   Link #28
Elestia

This episode gave a broader perspective to the nasuverse and away from the holy grail setting. Poor Shirley. As they say The Road to Hell is Paved With Good Intentions.
Old 2012-05-05, 16:14   Link #29
Thess

My God, Kiritsugu is a failure as main character. No charisma at all. I nearly fell asleep halfway of this episode.

The only remarkable thing I can say about it is of the production values: great animation and music. Overall, this season has been so weak compared to the first one in terms of adaptation where the only episode which I can say was terrible was the Rin's episode. The only episode I can say it was good of this season was the premiere one.

So disappointing Ufotable.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 16:33   Link #30
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Was that Cornelius Alba?
That it was, and I honestly thought that they were about to have Touko Aozaki save Kerry at the end there, since I remembered that some were speculating that she was the one to preform the surgery on his flashback during the Keyneth fight (blue hair and all)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
So this is how Kiritsugu became an assassin for Inferno... xd
I know right? I swear the casting in this episode was more like a tribute to Gen's earlier work than anything else. Poor Zwei, first it was lulu that brings him down then he loses Ein in this way ...

On a more serious note, Miyu Irino as a younger innocent Kiritsugu was wonderful to hear, and how he reacted to having his entire world crumpling down around him made me sympathies with him. Ayahi Takagaki as Shirley was great (Kerytugu~<3), especially when she asked Kerry to stop her. Really powerful scene right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
So Kiritsugu's first gun was TT pistol? Nice
He was a natural from the get go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Justice
So it was for both, huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
So disappointing Ufotable.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean it was a poor adaption. Aren't you finding a fault with the writing than anything else? I mean, if you think that Kiritsugu is a failure as a main character, that has to be the fault of the original writer who chose to make him appear like this. I don't think there is anything ufotable could've realistically been able to do, unless change the script drastically from how it happened originally.

Even then, having not read the novel, I thought this was an excellent episode in regards to being a stand alone story of who Kerry was, how did he start to become the sort of person we got to see in the majority of the series, and how did he start to travel down the path of darkness. I thought it was fascinating, and all around excellent as an anime episode. I don't know how well it does as an adaption, maybe they removed a lot of things or rushed a lot of stuff, but as far as I care, it worked in delivering it's message, and making me care.
Old 2012-05-05, 16:39   Link #31
LunarMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Even then, having not read the novel, I thought this was an excellent episode in regards to being a stand alone story of who Kerry was, how did he start to become the sort of person we got to see in the majority of the series, and how did he start to travel down the path of darkness. I thought it was fascinating, and all around excellent as an anime episode. I don't know how well it does as an adaption, maybe they removed a lot of things or rushed a lot of stuff, but as far as I care, it worked in delivering it's message, and making me care.
It added a lot of things, actually, and the execution is infinitely better for it. In the original novel, the flashback started with Kiritsugu and Shirley talking in the car, and then the next scene had her attacking the chickens.
To await an anime for the VN Muv-Luv,
Lunar.Moon.
Downloading from Hulu at the speed of light,
To remain within the bounds of copyrights!
http://myanimelist.net/profile/LunarMoon
LunarMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 16:52   Link #32
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I wonder what happened to Kerry's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomzx View Post
see:

Its the start of what let him on kill 1 to save 100 path.
lol Wanted quote

I thought that after he killed his farther, he is practicing how to curve a bullet
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 16:53   Link #33
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
It added a lot of things, actually, and the execution is infinitely better for it. In the original novel, the flashback started with Kiritsugu and Shirley talking in the car, and then the next scene had her attacking the chickens.
Then that's even better than I thought. If they did it the same way it had gone done in the novel, I would've been left confused as to what had just happened and why should I care at all for any of these guys.

Even if it was a stupid mistake, I could understand why Shirley did what she had done, going by her scene with Father Simon and her talk with Kerry being the successor of her teacher and the only one who could really use this amazing power to help people.

Had it gone the way you said it did in the novel, I wouldn't have gotten any of that. I would've been scratching my head thinking ''How did she drink that in the first place?'' and thought nothing of Shirley or how important she was to Kerytugu.

Seriously, this episode was more show than tell, and for that reason I now hold it in even higher regard.
Old 2012-05-05, 17:53   Link #34
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I said poor adaptation. Since season 2 began (after the first episode), there has nothing but rushing and glossing over scenes. They should have made this series longer if they wanted to focus on unimportant stuff.

Secondly, the flashback was a lot longer than the novel which was a one chapter interlude (basically showing Shirley speaking to Kiritsugu then all going to hell. That was it). They crammed 4 and a half chapters in one episode (last one) while they stretched a single chapter in another? Who taught this people pacing? Next episode doesn't adapt anything in Fate/Zero novel but a side story. It's derailing the entire story with unimportant stuff that wasn't published under F/Z. Go and do a special OVA for Heart of Freaks and let's focus on the Grail War.

Kiritsugu flashback could have been done in 1/4 of an episode and move on.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2012-05-05, 18:00   Link #35
mAc Chaos
King of Heroes

As the main character he hasn't actually gotten much focus in the anime though. At least he is now.
mAc Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 18:01   Link #36
LunarMoon

Quote:
I said poor adaptation. Since season 2 began (after the first episode), there has nothing but rushing and glossing over scenes. They should have made this series longer if they wanted to focus on unimportant stuff.

Secondly, the flashback was a lot longer than the novel which was a one chapter interlude (basically showing Shirley speaking to Kiritsugu then all going to hell. That was it). They crammed 4 and a half chapters in one episode (last one) while they stretched a single chapter in another? Who taught this people pacing? Next episode doesn't adapt anything in Fate/Zero novel but a side story. It's derailing the entire story with unimportant stuff that wasn't published under F/Z. Go and do a special OVA for Heart of Freaks and let's focus on the Grail War.

Kiritsugu flashback could have been done in 1/4 of an episode and move on.
The backstory for the main character is unimportant? Also, 1/4 of a 24 minute episode is exactly 6 minutes. They would have absolutely butchered Kiritsugu's development.
To await an anime for the VN Muv-Luv,
Lunar.Moon.
Downloading from Hulu at the speed of light,
To remain within the bounds of copyrights!
http://myanimelist.net/profile/LunarMoon
LunarMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 18:08   Link #37
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
The backstory for the main character is unimportant? Also, 1/4 of a 24 minute episode is exactly 6 minutes. They would have absolutely butchered Kiritsugu's development.
Half then. There you go. Just adapt the conversations with Shirley, the hunger and the mess afterwards (what was actually written hint). Oh and completely eliminate Heart of Freaks. Waste of time. Have them do an OVA of it since it wasn't part of F/Z anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
As the main character he hasn't actually gotten much focus in the anime though. At least he is now.
With this episode? He had more focus on the anime so far than he did in the novels.

Old 2012-05-05, 18:13   Link #38
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:

Secondly, the flashback was a lot longer than the novel which was a one chapter interlude (basically showing Shirley speaking to Kiritsugu then all going to hell. That was it). They crammed 4 and a half chapters in one episode (last one) while they stretched an interlude for flashback? Who taught this people pacing? Next episode doesn't adapt anything in Fate/Zero novel but a side story. It's derailing the entire story with unimportant stuff that wasn't published under F/Z. Go and do a special OVA for Heart of Freaks and let's focus on the Grail War.
Inner thoughts of characters can't be adapted well, so to compensate they needed some kind of SS is needed and to be honest Volume 4 Interlude was confusing for me, so this episode clears up a lot. This and the next episode will show how the naive child Kiritsugu grows into the cold machine Kiritsugu and there is no rule saying it will take up all 24 minutes.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-05-05 at 19:08. Reason: way too borderline
Awrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 18:16   Link #39
Archer

Quote:
Half then. There you go. Just adapt the conversations with Shirley, the hunger and the mess afterwards (what was actually written hint). Oh and completely eliminate Heart of Freaks. Waste of time. Have them do an OVA of it since it wasn't part of F/Z anyway.
Look, I know you really hate Kiritsugu, but this episode explains a lot about Kiritsugu that the audience didn't know before. If you want to argue further about the necessity of this episode, you should probably go to the Light Novel spoiler thread since the direction of this discussion will probably end up there anyway.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 18:20   Link #40
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Look, I know you really hate Kiritsugu, but this episode explains a lot about Kiritsugu that the audience didn't know before. If you want to argue further about the necessity of this episode, you should probably go to the Light Novel spoiler thread since the direction of this discussion will probably end up there anyway.
Eh, which could have been explained without stretching it and without continuing another irrelevant episode next week? Yes. Irrelevant. Because Hearts of Freaks isn't part of F/Z which is, oh geez, maybe about the Fourth Heaven's Feel?

Nasu says what F/Z is really about in the talks:

“Speaking of, what is the fourth war about?”

“Hum – Saber getting bullied by Gilgamesh and Alexander!”