Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-08, 22:23   Link #1121
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The 4th Kyoto Animation Awards have began accepting entries.
Don't you mean rejecting them?

I wonder if they're ever gonna have a grand prize winner ever.
Old 2012-06-08, 23:09   Link #1122
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Considering awarding the grand prize doesn't require them to animate it now, I think it has a much greater chance of being awarded.
Old 2012-06-13, 22:03   Link #1123
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Care to explain reasoning?
Don't even bother.
Old 2012-06-17, 19:07   Link #1124
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

New CM from Kyoto "never makes anything I want" Animation.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2012-06-17, 19:16   Link #1125
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post

YouTube
They keep teasing us with kickass commercials with amazing action animation that we'll never get a full blown series out of. It drives me nuts (especially considering I still hold out hope for more fullmetal panic some time *goes sob in a corner*)
Old 2012-06-17, 19:24   Link #1126
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
They keep teasing us with kickass commercials with amazing action animation that we'll never get a full blown series out of.
But we did get a full 26 episode series of "kickass" amazing action animation!

YouTube
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2012-06-17, 20:38   Link #1127
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

At which point you go "WFT?"
Old 2012-06-18, 04:35   Link #1128
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post

YouTube
I notice Lucy went back to the rainbow towards the end.

No seriously. What do they smoke?

Natch.
Old 2012-06-18, 04:58   Link #1129
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I notice Lucy went back to the rainbow towards the end.

No seriously. What do they smoke?

Natch.
Probably stole a bit from Shinbo's crack pile .

But really both Nichijou and Hyouka has some scenes and ideas that just screamed Shaft, so I would'nt be surprised if they took some inspiration from them. Not exactly uncommon that studios are influenced by each other's styles.
Old 2012-06-18, 10:20   Link #1130
rulfo

Well what the hell, someone has already uploaded the CM. That was fast. KyoAni seems to be really busy dishing out all these CMs.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:27   Link #1131
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
Well what the hell, someone has already uploaded the CM. That was fast. KyoAni seems to be really busy dishing out all these CMs.
I wonder if these CMs will get other production studios besides Kadokawa and Pony Canyon to give these a look and hire them for some project.
Old 2012-06-19, 04:40   Link #1132
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
I wonder if these CMs will get other production studios besides Kadokawa and Pony Canyon to give these a look and hire them for some project.
I'd like to see them to get handled by Aniplex.
Old 2012-06-19, 05:06   Link #1133
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Probably stole a bit from Shinbo's crack pile .

But really both Nichijou and Hyouka has some scenes and ideas that just screamed Shaft, so I would'nt be surprised if they took some inspiration from them. Not exactly uncommon that studios are influenced by each other's styles.
You'll learn why by looking @ this blog post.

http://aninomiyako.wordpress.com/201...t-work-part-1/

Also holy shit @ KyoAni doing 35+ Episodes of Inuyasha, had no idea it was that many.
Old 2012-07-09, 21:58   Link #1134
ElCachicamo

I don't care if they like to make moe shows. Their storyboard work and animation are amazing. Toshiyuki Inoue is right. They're the most advanced studio in Japan.
Old 2012-07-14, 14:49   Link #1135
Warm Mist

I have a question that maybe someone who posts around here can answer.

How does KyoAni manage their employees? I know they try to only work with inhouse KAs and as much inhouse inbetweeners as possible, but what does that change in the big picture? For example, in the Tokyo area most KAs are freelance and work by contract, the contract (and payment) a lot of the times being based on the number of drawings, and this contributes to the deplorable state of most animators' economy.

I had read somewhere that KyoAni pay their animators a fixed monthly salary like any other company, and that gives the animators better stability and time to keep on schedule and work on quality frames. The studio not being in the Tokyo area probably helps with this, because the animators can't hop from one studio to the other and back like they want.
But how much of this is true? I mean, do they pay all animators a monthly salary regardless of the work, or do they (also) pay an amount per drawing/episode they work in? The rest of the staff is the same, or would, for example, an AD get paid on a episode basis?
How do they handle royalties?

I'm interested to know the business practices of the company, and how they managed to stay like they are and produce the best TV animation while not being a monster like Bandai-Sunrise. So if this information is available in Japanese and someone could be able to translate, or if someone knows about this topic, please answer.
Old 2012-07-14, 15:55   Link #1136
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I don't have a full answer. I do know that Kyoto Animation has something like an animation school as well, so it is possible they use student as well for projects (that must be some homework. Those that pass get on the screen maybe?)
Old 2012-07-14, 22:40   Link #1137
Warm Mist

They probably use students for inbetweening and clean-up animation, yes. That gives more weight to the claim that they aim for stability of their employees, instead of being contract-based like most other studios. I'm thinking a good bunch of the animation students that graduate on Kyoani's school end up working for them, and that's how they maintain (and improve) their standards over time.

Also, my understanding of animation production over at Japan is that the budget dedicated to raw animation (i.e the frames) is all spent on paying the animators, and thus the number of frames a given episode of anime has is fixed. If Kyoani's policy is paying a monthly salary regardless of the number of drawings, would it be true that the only thing keeping them on the grounds of limited animation is schedule and time constraints? Or do some other factors come into play?

I don't think many people here are sakugafags or know this much about the production process of anime, but if someone that does reads this, I beg for a response.
Thanks in advance
Old 2012-07-15, 12:02   Link #1138
ElCachicamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
They probably use students for inbetweening and clean-up animation, yes. That gives more weight to the claim that they aim for stability of their employees, instead of being contract-based like most other studios. I'm thinking a good bunch of the animation students that graduate on Kyoani's school end up working for them, and that's how they maintain (and improve) their standards over time.

Also, my understanding of animation production over at Japan is that the budget dedicated to raw animation (i.e the frames) is all spent on paying the animators, and thus the number of frames a given episode of anime has is fixed. If Kyoani's policy is paying a monthly salary regardless of the number of drawings, would it be true that the only thing keeping them on the grounds of limited animation is schedule and time constraints? Or do some other factors come into play?

I don't think many people here are sakugafags or know this much about the production process of anime, but if someone that does reads this, I beg for a response.
Thanks in advance
I want to know their secret as well because they are successful where others studios have failed. In Japan they pay per sheet, full animation doesn't always mean better animation, a good example is the last He-man show where the storyboards, and layouts were terrible, and the animation was too floaty. Dennou Coil was more limited but the key animation was of a higher quality. AFAIK Ghibli actually pay a salary to their animators, so maybe Kyoani is the same, and Kyoto is less expensive than Tokyo and that may help also.

Another studio with really high standards is Bones, a lot of good in house talent there. The opposite to these studios is A-1 pictures where they use freelance animators for everything.
Old 2012-07-15, 17:00   Link #1139
Warm Mist

Dennou Coil also had a gigantic budget and was directed by arguably the best key animator in recent history.

I don't know if there is a budget number for a Kyoani show out there, but that would be interesting, to more or less see how they manage their resources.

Yes, probably the main factor helping Kyoani's situation is the geographical position they're in, that eases the craze from the Tokyo area and also incentives keeping their staff near Kyoto where they'd certainly work for them.
Old 2012-07-15, 19:36   Link #1140
stormtrooper

I don't know if they have a lot of budget for their recent anime. To be honest they have only 1 anime this year - Hyouka. Then there will be one more anime next year so I don't think they have so much work.

Probably a good amount of money goes to their salaries.
Closed Thread

Tags
studios