AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-11-12, 15:23   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
My SD card won't read anymore

The other day my SDHC card won't read on my card reader so I can no longer access my files. I tried using recovery programs and calling the manufacture but it didn't really workout. I think I might need a new card but until then is there anyway I can at least get my files before that happens?

Kingston SDHC 4GB card
Old 2012-11-12, 15:57   Link #2
Random32
Also a Lolicon

1. How old is this card? They do have lifespans, and the lifespans of earlier ones tend to be short.
2. What have you tried so far?
3. What are you willing to pay to get your data back?
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 18:06   Link #3
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
1. How old is this card? They do have lifespans, and the lifespans of earlier ones tend to be short.
2. What have you tried so far?
3. What are you willing to pay to get your data back?
  1. I think it is over three years since I had it.
  2. I used recovery programs and my card reader
  3. Anything I can afford to get.
Old 2012-11-12, 18:38   Link #4
Random32
Also a Lolicon

How dead is it?

Can you get far enough to see the files? Or is it even recognized?

Also, your best bet is probably to take it to a shop that deals with cameras and see what they can do.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 22:02   Link #5
Guernsey
The GAP Man

I put it in a card reader but nothing shows up and it slows down as if it is trying to load up but i can't.
Old 2012-11-13, 06:54   Link #6
Jaden

Try with another computer/card reader, just to make sure it's really the card that is broken.
Old 2012-11-14, 16:09   Link #7
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Well if it is broken... as in the die physically broke on the card due to e.g. mechanical stress, then your data is gone for good. If it is related to minor damages or ageing, then you would have experienced a considerable slowdown of the SD card before it failed (okay that applies more for quality SD cards than low cost devices).
Old 2012-11-15, 12:38   Link #8
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Hmmm that is a thought, I had my SD card for a few years before it slowed down. I take it to most places but it usually works fine for me.
Old 2012-11-15, 15:58   Link #9
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

If the die was broken one could try to make the SD card warm (this means the die expands and maybe closes critical broken circuits - not too warm though, since this might break the die even more).

If the SD card failed because of age, it means many gates were failing. If it was the in-circuit wiring that is needed for the block deletes that failed you could still read the content but not writing on it. So, lets consider the failed gates... Cooling the gates means less resistance. This can temporarily reactivate "dead" gates. However, the effect will vanish rapidly when actual data is read, because this will heat up the die.

Static electricity can damage the DACs/ADCs and address-multiplexer/clock. In that case only a professional might be able to recover some data.