AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-03-10, 11:07   Link #61
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Yes it always made me smile when people were looking forward to some bloodbath early on in psycho-pass,that's just not how Gen works.

I also perfectly understand why some people wanted to see Kagari's body since if I've learned something from fate zero and Phantom is that with Gen your really shouldn't assume someone's dead unless you see their body.

I've always been curious about Requiem for the Phantom's ending,I don't mind it at all but it caused quite an uproar and from my understanding the very end is anime original,it makes me wonder how much he approves of it.

Spoiler for madoka magica + ending of requiem for the phantom:
Yeah but..

Spoiler:

So, I'll believe that Urobutcher will play nice when the last few minutes of the last episode ends.
Old 2013-03-10, 12:33   Link #62
Kirarakim

I agree that Urobuchi doesn't just use "death" to shock the audience. The fact that the audience was shocked at Mami's death was more because of the genre, but Urobuchi's deaths are not just pointless and do move the story in important ways.

However I wouldn't say that Urobuchi never relies on shock value (although perhaps this is more the director's fault not Urobuchi).

For example some of the violent scenes in Psycho Pass (especially during the riots) were a bit too much for me. I didn't really like how the rape scene was done in the first episode either.

And in Fate Zero the scene with Rin's mom and Kariya I felt was also over the top.

I just felt some of those scenes were a bit much!
Old 2013-03-10, 15:24   Link #63
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Urobuchi Gen is not about body counts. There are countless shows that put out tons of carnage for the audience. And yes, his deaths also tend to serve a point. The infamy of Urobuchi Gen is the sheer despair he manages to bring to the audience with the deaths of his characters.

Spoiler:
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 15:58   Link #64
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I agree that Urobuchi doesn't just use "death" to shock the audience. The fact that the audience was shocked at Mami's death was more because of the genre, but Urobuchi's deaths are not just pointless and do move the story in important ways.

However I wouldn't say that Urobuchi never relies on shock value (although perhaps this is more the director's fault not Urobuchi).

For example some of the violent scenes in Psycho Pass (especially during the riots) were a bit too much for me. I didn't really like how the rape scene was done in the first episode either.

And in Fate Zero the scene with Rin's mom and Kariya I felt was also over the top.

I just felt some of those scenes were a bit much!
I don't think he embellishes death scenes (you know, in that ridiculously gorey Another or Blood+ way) but he's very blunt and "real" with his death scenes.

That was my main takeaway from Mami's death scene. That death is going to be very realistic in a Gen work, and you may well not get the cliche bit where the fallen hero gets to voice some final words to his or her comrades.

Of course, this could make his deaths more disturbing for some. Some probably laugh off Another and Blood+ because it's so insanely over-the-top. You can't really do that with a Gen death, imo.
Old 2013-03-10, 16:08   Link #65
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Triple, Gen is messing with us, perhaps.

"Oh, you thought someone would die here... nope, they have to serve a purpose still, and maybe it'd be better if they died now... but too bad!"

I need to catch up on PP though. /dodges trash thrown in my direction

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 16:12   Link #66
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't think he embellishes death scenes (you know, in that ridiculously gorey Another or Blood+ way) but he's very blunt and "real" with his death scenes.

That was my main takeaway from Mami's death scene. That death is going to be very realistic in a Gen work, and you may well not get the cliche bit where the fallen hero gets to voice some final words to his or her comrades.

Of course, this could make his deaths more disturbing for some. Some probably laugh off Another and Blood+ because it's so insanely over-the-top. You can't really do that with a Gen death, imo.
But all those scenes I mentioned weren't death scenes

When I say over-the-top I don't mean in the Blood-C variety but the violence and disturbing aspect of those scenes linger too much for me, if I have one criticism of Gen.

But like I said I am not really sure if Gen or the director is at fault in these cases.
Old 2013-03-10, 16:24   Link #67
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Triple, Gen is messing with us, perhaps.
I like that idea.

That Gen knows his reputation precedes him, and so is intentionally playing against it to surprise people.
Old 2013-03-10, 16:29   Link #68
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
I like that idea.

That Gen knows his reputation precedes him, and so is intentionally playing against it to surprise people.
Well, personally I've always hated the term "death flag", as if there's a schedule for someone to die, lol. I feel that a lot of us would complain that it's too predictable.

In high levels of any game, players know that there's a certain pattern that exists and other players and the audience run along those expectations. But they get that extra edge by using this against them. The same goes for experienced writers like Gen. And then they flip the table by doing the predictable thing we overlook, because it's too predictable.

He is a Dangerously Genre Savvy Villain, Triple. So he knows what we think he knows. :S

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 16:42   Link #69
4Tran

Quote:
I haven't watched many shows that Urobuchi Gen wrote, but I have seen the Dominators exploding their victims. I think that easily qualifies as insanely over-the-top.
Old 2013-03-10, 17:20   Link #70
scineram

Wtf does he have to do with those?
scineram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 17:33   Link #71
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I haven't watched many shows that Urobuchi Gen wrote, but I have seen the Dominators exploding their victims. I think that easily qualifies as insanely over-the-top.
As Kirarakim said that could be the director rather than Urobuchi,even the character designer had a say in how all the gadgets looked and worked.

His scripts can be pretty vague, for example in Madoka the script would just say "Homura fights Walpurgis Night" but how that fight looked was all up to the rest of the creative staff.
Old 2013-03-10, 17:52   Link #72
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
As Kirarakim said that could be the director rather than Urobuchi,even the character designer had a say in how all the gadgets looked and worked.

His scripts can be pretty vague, for example in Madoka the script would just say "Homura fights Walpurgis Night" but how that fight looked was all up to the rest of the creative staff.
But if the over-the-top violence is out of the hands of the writer, then it hardly makes sense to attibute Urobuchi for restraint either.

Anyways, I'd imagine that a fair number of the creative staff had significant input into how the Dominators work. Their impact on how the violence is framed in the show is too significant to suggest otherwise.
Old 2013-03-10, 17:53   Link #73
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I like that idea.

I think he's more likely to do that with Gargantia, not Psycho Pass. I'm betting at least two main characters will die by the end of the series (the only "good guy" safe is Yayoi because her death would be pointless). As for the end of the series itself... there's a 50/50% chance it will be either bleak or moderately optimistic. I can't envision a happy ending for Psycho-pass. It wouldn't fit the tone of the series.

Anyway, I agree Urobuchi is not the butcher some people are making him out to be. He doesn't kill or torture his characters for fun. Everything has a purpose in his narrative, and that's why I like him. I don't think he's all that "darker" than other writers, he just has the balls to do what needs to be done. Too many writers are scared to kill their characters because of the fan backlash. He, on the other hand, doesn't give a damn. His story is his first priority.
Old 2013-03-10, 18:00   Link #74
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Gen almost always goes for bittersweet endings. All of his shows have been like that.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 19:34   Link #75
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

What else has he done besides Fate/Zero and Psycho Pass?

Not being smart, I seriously have no idea. I'd like to check more of his work out.
Old 2013-03-19, 19:41   Link #76
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post

Not being smart, I seriously have no idea. I'd like to check more of his work out.
Ever hear of Madoka Magica?

If you go way back, there's Phantom: Requiem of a Phantom. Although IIRC, he only wrote a few episodes of that.

He's also wrote many VNs, probably the most famous of which being Saya no Uta (be warned! That VN is known to cause nightmares ).
Old 2013-03-19, 19:45   Link #77
DanielMors
Second Stake of Sloth

Quote:

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, also known as Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and the upcoming Suisei no Gargantia are shows written by him. Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom is based on a visual novel written by him.
Besides that there are only some other visual novels written by Urobuchi, since he started off as a writer for nitroplus and only recently got into the anime industry (as far as I know).
DanielMors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 19:46   Link #78
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
Old 2013-03-19, 19:50   Link #79
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Oh wow...I seriously had no idea he was the one who wrote Madoka!
Old 2013-03-19, 20:24   Link #80
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
They tried to hide it though. Because it will reveal what the nature of that anime is. They put it out at Episode 3.

Tags
urobuchi gen