AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2012-11-22, 10:50   Link #1001
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Makes me wish that the Umineko manga comes to my contry...
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 11:48   Link #1002
CrimsonMoonMist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieliosP View Post
I just imported it from amazon, no way I'm gonna hold my breath until my local comic/manga/books import store may get it.
Plus it's cheaper.
CrimsonMoonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 14:07   Link #1003
TheGuraGuraMan

Same, have it since monday, and since I have Amazon premium I don't event pay the shipping.
TheGuraGuraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 14:14   Link #1004
battle22

Quote:
I imported it from Amazon. The translation is pretty nice. Yen Press did a wonderful job.

Last edited by battle22; 2014-02-14 at 01:57.
battle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 05:17   Link #1005
st_nick5

Just ordered volume 1 of Forgery of the Purple Logic from cdjapan. Anyone else got it? Without spoilers, what did they think of it? And is each volume going to be a separate story?
st_nick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 15:26   Link #1006
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_nick5 View Post
Just ordered volume 1 of Forgery of the Purple Logic from cdjapan. Anyone else got it? Without spoilers, what did they think of it? And is each volume going to be a separate story?
I've only seen the first two chapters... but I couldn't really read them.
So far it doesn't look bad though the art is cute but not as pretty as some manga version or... as scary as in the others manga versions (in Ep 8 during Bern's game culprit Battler is rather scary...).

The idea behind the mystery and the game might be interesting... and there's a rather funny moment... but after only 2 untranslated chapters I'm not sure I can give a correct judgement. Let's say this is only a first glance impression
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 00:48   Link #1007
Wanderer
Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
I've only seen the first two chapters...
I think you mean the first 2 volumes, which includes 10 chapters.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 05:01   Link #1008
st_nick5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Are there two volumes out? There's only one volume available on cdjapan, and it was released on 24th January this year.
Old 2013-02-05, 08:45   Link #1009
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Nope I saw only the first 2 chapters printed on the magazines of 'Forgery of purple logic'.
I wasn't even aware 2 volumes of it had been released. I thought it was just 1 as of now...
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 13:44   Link #1010
st_nick5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
Nope I saw only the first 2 chapters printed on the magazines of 'Forgery of purple logic'.
I wasn't even aware 2 volumes of it had been released. I thought it was just 1 as of now...
Pretty sure it's just one, seeing as the first volume was released less than two weeks ago.
Old 2013-04-10, 14:07   Link #1011
battle22

Just finished reading volume 2. The adaptation is pretty good, but the translation is simply amazing. I recommend every fan of Umineko to buy it, we gotta support the franchise.

Last edited by battle22; 2014-02-14 at 01:58.
battle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 08:59   Link #1012
einhorn303

Yup, once again, Yen Press has done an awesome job. And the artist for this chapter (Turn) is awesome. She's perfect for those extreme expression shots.

I hope the side manga also get licensed by Yen Press. They've already done those two side-arcs for Higurashi (Beyond Midnight and Demon Exposing), so I guess the chances are good?

Forgery of Purple Logic looks awesome to me purely because it has Erika on the cover. Very [good]!
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 15:22   Link #1013
Meeka
Graphic Artist/Translator

Send a message via Yahoo to Meeka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le7Hbh5D3MA
Found this mmv and there's a part in here where Bernkastel is falling and lambdadelta grabs her hand. I wanna know if it's actually 07th expansion manga or if it was fan made and if its real, where can I find it for my mmv lol
Old 2013-09-26, 06:56   Link #1014
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Yen Press really is doing a great job with the manga releases. I recommend them highly, and it's really nice to have such conveniently large volumes. Can't wait for ep 3. Ep 2 is nice, but I don't like its artist as much as the first one.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-14, 05:15   Link #1015
battle22

Just reading Episode 3. Pretty good so far. The best part in their translation is the fact that they try to give each character a certain style of speech. In Witch Hunts translation this was mostly absent. But Yen Press try to stay to the original as hard as possible.

Again, I recommend everyone to buy it, it's pretty sweet.
Old 2014-02-14, 10:53   Link #1016
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by battle22 View Post
Just reading Episode 3. Pretty good so far. The best part in their translation is the fact that they try to give each character a certain style of speech. In Witch Hunts translation this was mostly absent. But Yen Press try to stay to the original as hard as possible.
I don't know if a certain style of speech is necessarily closer to the original
Witch Hunt's translation was really close, sometimes probably closer than necessary because they might have feared to miss certain implications or destroy some hints (though I don't know if that was the case of course).

I'd like to read the Yen Press release once and compare, but I really don't have the money to buy Umineko in Japanese and English.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-14, 13:07   Link #1017
battle22

Yeah, Virgilia talks in a much more dignified English than WH's Lia. Jessica acts like a tomboy as narrative describes. Rudolf has a curse word in very good moments and doesn't feel tedious, Natsuhi has a very humble way of talking and Beatrice is also awesome.

I can't explain it with words well. XD
Old 2014-02-15, 12:01   Link #1018
maximilianjenus
[E]

that's a nice touch, but considering the nature of the game, a translation that is the most accurate possible is preferred. i still remember teh whole abortion vs stillborn incident.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 15:58   Link #1019
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
that's a nice touch, but considering the nature of the game, a translation that is the most accurate possible is preferred. i still remember teh whole abortion vs stillborn incident.
Well, by now it is a lot easier to create a proper translation, in case the translator is doing a good job and properly researches the whole series.
The problem is that a series like Umineko demands a lot more than just a good and lively translation, because the series has a lot more meta-context than the usual run-of-the-mill Shonen Jump manga. The best is of course a mixture of both elements, good translation and good contextualization, the question is if the Yen Press translator does that. Can anybody tell me who the translator for Umineko is?
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 19:08   Link #1020
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
Well, by now it is a lot easier to create a proper translation, in case the translator is doing a good job and properly researches the whole series.
The problem is that a series like Umineko demands a lot more than just a good and lively translation, because the series has a lot more meta-context than the usual run-of-the-mill Shonen Jump manga. The best is of course a mixture of both elements, good translation and good contextualization, the question is if the Yen Press translator does that. Can anybody tell me who the translator for Umineko is?
All the Yen Press volumes I have a list a Stephen Paul as the translator. I'm not sure that's very meaningful, though, since only a rare few translators have any sort of reputation.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen, shounen