AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hidan no Aria

Notices

Old 2011-04-16, 16:15   Link #1161
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's not a matter of like or dislike.

For example, I quite like mecha anime. I find mechas to be quite, quite cool. But I'm not willing to accept them as realistic weapons of war.

It's the same for Butei. I'm willing to suspend disbelief and look past the absurdity. I'm not willing to tell myself giving guns to undisciplined kids is a realistic solution to the rising crimerate problem. Even if some small proportion of them could attain the kind of skill you see them exhibit.

(And if we're going to compare settings, I much preferred Regios. Kid soldiers were an absurd, desperate answer to an absurd, desperate situation.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 16:20   Link #1162
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I finished muh set!

I really wanted to make an avatar of them holding hands in the ED sequence but that damn "camera" zooms in and out too much!

....however that avatar is *so* me when I'm ranting about something. XD
Old 2011-04-16, 16:21   Link #1163
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukansa monkey View Post
Create an entire world with multiple internally consistent cultures and hundreds of years of history, and get dismissed as just fantasy. Write a wall of choppy text where the reader has to count lines just to tell who's speaking, and you're teh awesome. That's the stupidity of literary criticism.
I don't think Tolkien is dismissed as "just fantasy".

But every other Fantasy and Sci-fi writer is, so your point stands. I have to agree that I don't really like a lot of "acclaimed" modern fiction. Take Joyce, I find him utterly unpleasant. His stories are incredibly dirty and unpleasant, and some of his books (Finnegan's wake...) are unreadable. And yet the literary establishment holds him up as almost a messiah.

That said I really like Classical Greek and Roman Literature, but perhaps this is due to my associations of it with my boyhood fantasies. Historically a lot of literature (in some cases the majority) would now be considered fantasy. Realistic novels only came into vogue quite recently.

However this has nothing to do with Aria, which for all my literary pretensions I still think is mediocre at best. I don't dislike it, however, due to the whole Butei concept. I'm quite willing to forgive that if the writing was better.

Also, History Channel is a TERRIBLE way to learn about history. The best FUN way is probably Historical strategy games, at least to pique your interest. From what I've seen of it, it thinks stories about "bigfoot" is history...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 16:25   Link #1164
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Just wondering, how many of you read the LN after watching the anime?

Also, next ep is the continuation of the room sequence, for the person who wondered why Kinji was acting OOC.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 16:26   Link #1165
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
I haven't yet. I read two chapters of the manga before watching the anime and liked it.
Old 2011-04-16, 17:01   Link #1166
tsunade666

Reading the novel would be good but for me. It's either read it first before the series starts or after. I prefer if they read it after watching it. This is about the anime to begin with and not the novel.
Old 2011-04-16, 18:11   Link #1167
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post

Also, next ep is the continuation of the room sequence, for the person who wondered why Kinji was acting OOC.
I actually read the first two volumes of the LN first (currently on the third) before starting the anime. Maybe that's why I'm more lenient towards it. The first episode was a pretty faithful adaptation of the novel.
Old 2011-04-16, 18:15   Link #1168
Javiersansano

So, in the end, how much of the LN was left out of this first episode so far?
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 18:23   Link #1169
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post
So, in the end, how much of the LN was left out of this first episode so far?
Not much, just the school day after Aria transferred in and before she came to his room that evening.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 18:24   Link #1170
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
why LOLItron is into Aria is because she be a TWINTAIL (DAMMIT cure that disease already. Himeji's infected as evar and both your fetish will spread AGAIN).
It is... a terminal illness, I'm afraid. There is no cure.... the only prescription is more twintails for the rest of one's life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
yeah. not so many similarities, I guess. besides... um, TBS X MF Bunko J time slot, harem, ecchi, etc.
Ecchi? ECCHI? WHERE THE PANTSU AT YO

I already read about the timeslot, but that's not even anywhere in relation to the series itself. But Media Factory, eh.... that's one company I have not thought about for almost 4 years. Maybe in the same vein as my love-hate relationship with Marvelous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
well, well, well... quite a "serious" discussion we had for a harem anime, huh?
I'm impressed.
I know, right? You guys dumped 5 pages on me overnight. OVERNIGHT which was only about 8 hours ago (7AM here). I already said earlier I'm trying to make my weekend free from anything Infinite Stratos whatsoever so I really don't want to see it here, even if it is just for comparison's sake, which I have to say I still don't see from a series standpoint (don't bother explaining to me because I locked that part of my brain out)

Had to laugh a bit about the TV part though. I have to agree a historical strategy game is a much more fun way to learn about history, and I can personally attest to Company of Heroes . But know what to choose, because you don't want to go off spouting People's General as fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I finished muh set!

....however that avatar is *so* me when I'm ranting about something. XD
I love that scene. Kugumiya or not, it reminds me of that Hatsune Miku avatar I had a while back

And it does look good for ranting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Reading the novel would be good but for me. It's either read it first before the series starts or after. I prefer if they read it after watching it. This is about the anime to begin with and not the novel.
That's basically my feelings on the subject too. Like I.S. (gasp I dragged that into here again), I'm attempting to read it now, except for the fragmented availability of chapters, which led to the bright idea of translating some myself

But yeah, for me, no reading while the anime is going and absolutely no discussion from those sources in here.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 18:24   Link #1171
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Is the LN more Actionny or Harem?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 18:32   Link #1172
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
both if I say but more romantic and had more emotion on it. well I didn't get to see kinji all emo on the anime's first episode.

I'll say this watch the anime first before reading it the novel. I prefer the novel though because most of what I had been reading is just packs of fighting and forgetting the development of the characters. Like a new volume = new character and disregard the past character.

Hidan no Aria did justice to it's characters. Given them good development and back story. And doesn't trash the already shown character type.
Old 2011-04-16, 18:50   Link #1173
Archmagination2002

Yeah it was a good adaptation so far.. only a few minor things were altered. The biggest one being Histeria Savant Syndrome explanation was a lot more in depth.

Spoiler for Hysteria Savant Syndrome:
Archmagination2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 19:31   Link #1174
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
I found that always puzzling, since reading action scenes is extremely boring and tedious compared to watching them... as for harem, can work (e.g. Bakemonogatari) as long as it based on edgy dialogue, rather than long winded description of ecchi scenes... IMHO.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 19:42   Link #1175
broken270
Defying gravity

Spoiler:
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 19:43   Link #1176
Chiibi

Hey, I've got two questions:

Spoiler:

And
Spoiler:
Old 2011-04-16, 19:54   Link #1177
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Hey, I've got two questions:

Spoiler:

And
Spoiler:
First question is BLOOD. Hysteria Mode is literally blood getting into your brains XD Like a hypertension without problem. Feels like your in drugs Everything is so slow and you see things clearly.

Second question wait for the anime to show it
Old 2011-04-16, 19:59   Link #1178
Chiibi

Thank you for the answers, tsunade666.
Old 2011-04-16, 20:09   Link #1179
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Just caught the ep. Pretty decent. Always nice to see some guns, especially with a tsundere involved.

Looking forward to it.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 20:39   Link #1180
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Kinji's weapons of choice are fairly amusing. A butterfly knife and an illegally modified Baretta that fires 3 round bursts. I think the only issue I'll have with this is that Kinji is your typical dense male protagonist, but with a healthy dose of whininess thrown in. He's also completely useless outside of Hysteria Mode, I've noticed, and I fear with him wanting to avoid using it, like he mentioned in episode 1, he'll spend most of his time as a beating toy.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2011-04-16 at 22:11.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, guns, harem, loli, romance, school life, shounen, tsundere