Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2008-12-29, 12:19   Link #301
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
Agreed, it's simply amusing to see how some people get into a tiff about it. The comedy bits are there to 'lighten up', fan service as it were. Like a bit of flavoring added but not the main meat of the story.
Real life has moments of comedy, moments of tragedy, sometimes all in the same hour. That's what Clannad and for that matter Toradora try to sketch out. Aye, I don't know what that's so hard for some to grapple with. Someone you laugh with is someone you'll get more closely bound up with when bad things happen.
Old 2008-12-29, 12:30   Link #302
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Some people don't like to think bad things can happen to things that made them laugh.
Old 2008-12-29, 13:08   Link #303
wistfulloner

Observing the series so far, it appears that the seriousness has been integrated into the comedy well enough. I wouldn't expect any complaints for the second season.

The series will still keep its comedy aspect, that's for sure. A sudden change in setting will be distasteful to certain viewers, and viewers are what makes an anime successful.
wistfulloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 16:02   Link #304
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
The series will still keep its comedy aspect, that's for sure. .
Don't be so sure.

Spoiler for If the anime follows novels then:
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 16:32   Link #305
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Don't be so sure.

Spoiler for If the anime follows novels then:
That's a good recipe; start with light, fun material, after go for the heavier stuff. Of course the endding may go on way or a other.
Old 2008-12-29, 17:04   Link #306
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Start with comedy and light stuff, pull the drama tag and watch everything fall apart, and then slowly build it back up for a happy, satisfying ending.

THIS is how you write stuff, dammit.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 17:32   Link #307
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
However, I disagree with you Houkoholic that 10th volume will be enough for this series. The way volume 9 ends I think the series should end at volume 11th rather than 10th because there are still things left to resolve and relationship to build.
I'm pretty sure there's no more "relationships to build" after volume 9 because
Spoiler:
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 18:00   Link #308
Darknemo2000

And this is why I disagree with you

Spoiler for bah:
Old 2008-12-29, 19:10   Link #309
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
And this is why I disagree with you

Spoiler for bah:
Spoiler:

Last edited by houkoholic; 2008-12-29 at 19:27.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 21:12   Link #310
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Start with comedy and light stuff, pull the drama tag and watch everything fall apart, and then slowly build it back up for a happy, satisfying ending.

THIS is how you write stuff, dammit.
Sorry , I was saying for story in general, I was not speakink of the case ot this Novel in particular.

And of course, the ''happy, satisfying ending'' do not fit every story.
Old 2008-12-29, 21:55   Link #311
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I think more stories should have happy endings, though. Not that many do, these days...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 22:01   Link #312
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Asian literature has long loved murky, bittersweet, or tragic endings. Anime just tends to carry on that tradition. Happy endings are more a fixture of Western stories. I just cheer for the overlap.
Old 2008-12-29, 22:01   Link #313
Darknemo2000

Spoiler for lala:
Old 2008-12-30, 12:41   Link #314
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Errrrr......I thought Vol 9 is pretty on the way for a finale in Vol 10. Where is Vol 11 creeping from?
Old 2008-12-30, 12:48   Link #315
Darknemo2000

From there that the issues that are left would not leave Ryuuji and Taiga as a romantic couple at all. And since they seem to make them a couple then another volume would be needed to bring out a good epilogue to all characters as well without being rushed. They are not a couple yet, and if the volume ends up with volume 10 then you can believe that they never will be a romantic couple as well since simply infatuation and romance are different things. Since the series seem to want to end them as couple it would be nice to bring out some actual romance between them, which cannot be played properly in a single volume where we still have some other issues at our hands, nor it could provide a good epilogue about other characters as well.

Unless I am understanding it badly and author does not want for Taiga and Ryuuji to be a romantic couple at all. Just sort of soul buddies that do not really have much romantic feelings for each other - then yes, one volume is enough, but if the author wants to end up with romantic undertone in there and to make them a couple (as in a rom. couple) then I believe another volume is needed, as the most build up is for them being connected with soul but actual romance is underplayed pretty hard.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2008-12-30 at 14:22.
Old 2008-12-30, 13:02   Link #316
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I wouldn't mind an in depth volume 10 and 11 .... but I also see the non-artistic (business) part of the energy curve for the series bearing down towards a synchronized ending for the books and series.

Actually, a nightmarish scenario would be to end the anime series with a volume 10 cliff-hanger and have people seek the *story* ending in the books (or in the DVD releases) :P Urk, bad thoughts - find happy place.
Old 2008-12-30, 16:59   Link #317
wistfulloner

Eh, what are we readers and viewers to do? We are but pawns in their game of business. I'm positively hoping JC staff doesn't pull such a dirty trick.

It's actually quite possible for the entire story to end fulfilling the starting hopes of the characters, such as Taiga with Kitamura and Ryuji with Minori. It would add a good twist to an almost certain ending. That would leave Ami as the odd one out, but I leave that dilemma into the capable hands of JC staff.
wistfulloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 17:04   Link #318
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
capable hands of JC staff.
Just what have you been smoking? Must be really strong stuff, as you ignore their capabilities doing original paths in such series as ZnT and SnS. While it doesn't mean it will be so in here, but it definitely puts such statement about their original episode/ending capabilities under a serious question.

And why would you like to hurt Taiga? After all her having hopes for Kitamura would mean she is stuck forever in having unhappy onesided love, as Kitamura is in love with Sumire. And you dont have to read novels to know that - it is obvious in anime.
Old 2008-12-30, 21:18   Link #319
typhonsentra

A lot of thoughts regarding volume 6 but for tonight just one thing as I know I'll forget it if I don't write it down now: What's the deal with the perspective change at the end of this book?

Spoiler for (Nothing major, just being cautious):
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 21:26   Link #320
roan

She's been doing this since the end of volume 4. That's why I've been saying before that it's important to not skip volumes, and read the whole thing at once. It's extremely important for the next volume.

From a reader perspective, we keep in mind what's going on inside a character or what events happened off-screen from Ryuuji's pov, which was revealed at the end of the previous volume, and then gradually become irritated, because even though we already know that this happened or this is what this character is really thinking, nothing's overtly said until later in the volume.

What starts to happen around volume 4 marks the beginning of a dischord between what Ryuuji's thinking he's doing and what's really going on.

Last edited by roan; 2008-12-30 at 22:05.
roan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels, shounen