AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-04-26, 23:16   Link #1
me=D
mister smillie

how long should i leave my comp on?

okay im doin something thats 10gigs rite now and i already had my comp on for 24 hours or so. i proby need to leave it on for a another 48 hours before i finish. my question is will my comp break down if i leave it on any longer cuz its startin to get slow and hot.
me=D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 23:34   Link #2
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

only turn it off if the room isn't well cooled...cause being on for long periods of time it'll heat up a lot...and if the room is poorly cooled the comp might over heat

but other then that...comps can be left on for long periods of time (look at the comps in school labs...they're on almost everyday of the year and rarely turned off)
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 04:38   Link #3
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
in university they leave the computers on all year ( except holydays ) and they work fine.
mine is on all holydays and it still works fine. if your computer isn't used to be on for a long period then do step by step, don't decide on morning "well let's leave it on till next month" .
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 13:58   Link #4
nooc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchop
...cause being on for long periods of time it'll heat up a lot...and if the room is poorly cooled the comp might over heat
It's not like the computer slowly rises in temp for a long period of time. It more probable that it quickly rises in themp and stays there, pretty much at a constand temp. But if the working temp. is above normai, it can and will cause damage by either breaking or rapidly shortening the lifespan.

Just check that the comp. is working inside acceptable temp. parameters and all should be well. Doesn't really matter if it's working hard or not. It won't break..
nooc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 19:05   Link #5
Majin-EBK4

OK what were looking at here is your CPU's temp. for the most part when you bought it from the manufacturer the installed the proper components to keep it cool no matter how long you keep it on.

also i recommend never shuting off you computer
#1 When things get hot they expand (your CPU)
#2 When they cool down they contract

so expanding and contracting your CPU will actually shorten its lifespan, shorter than leaving it on all the time!!!

My computers are left on 24/7/365 i have a redundant power supply to keep them on even if the power goes out. My computers still work fine my oldest one is a linux system and it has been on for at least 1000 days in a row and its about 10 years old and it still works fine
Majin-EBK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-29, 01:55   Link #6
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

As long as you have proper airflow and cooling in your computer case, leaving a computer on for 24/7 won't pose a problem. The limiting factor is Windows itself since it tends to become unstable over a long duration (45-60 days is when I'm forced to restart).
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote