AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's - Rating
Perfect 10 16 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 20.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 12.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 6.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-15, 16:23   Link #1
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's Discussion Thread (spoilers)

This thread is intended to discuss anything related to the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 2nd A's movie, be it the movie itself, it's cast, or any related materials. As such it will contain SPOILERS about the movie.... Be warned!

Should you wish to avoid spoilers, head to the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 2nd A's, Expectations and Speculation thread instead.

Also, feel free to vote in the poll to indicate what you thought of the movie!
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 16:37   Link #2
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
How about after the release of the Blu-Ray (close the poll first)

http://nanoha.com/theater.html (Where are the theaters located? I'm planning to go to the south of Japan)
Old 2012-07-15, 17:29   Link #3
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Good idea. Poll closed until at least the film is done with the theatrical run.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 17:47   Link #4
Kaijo
Banned

So, anyway, from all I've heard so far... well, I just have to get this out of my system first...

When I heard that Fate goes to "save" Nanoha and gets drained herself, it reminded me of this scene from Simpsons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...BC4KHx8#t=282s

Heh, anyway, her promise doesn't seem to mean much, and since she's still callin' herself Testarossa, we lose out on her acceptance into her family. Those things, arguably, were more important to Fate's character than her dream sequence.

Sounds like lots of beam spam and techno lasers, so it definitely carries on the first movie's "flash" factor; just little substance, given how much it drops and then how much it rushes what was left in.
Old 2012-07-15, 17:47   Link #5
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
What does the http://nanoha.com/theater.html locations talk about? I'm not sure if I can see them at the south part of Japan.
Old 2012-07-16, 06:31   Link #6
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Sounds like lots of beam spam and techno lasers, so it definitely carries on the first movie's "flash" factor; just little substance, given how much it drops and then how much it rushes what was left in.
Pfft, I'm sure Nanoha beam spam is small time.

Anyways, saying "what you heard happens in the movie" falls more under speculation, doesn't it? I think this thread's pretty premature since I doubt any of us will be able to see it. Unless a cam rip surfaces, I guess.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:36   Link #7
Kaijo
Banned

Kinda, but what we hear in summaries is spoiler material. Thus, in order to avoid cluttering the other thread with spoilers, we have this one. It is for the discussion of what happens in the movie.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:36   Link #8
Justin_Brett

Apparently instead of the Twins causing it the Book just kind of goes berserk on its own.

I get why since it's an in-universe movie, but at least come up with something else guys.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 16:55   Link #9
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
So, anyway, from all I've heard so far... well, I just have to get this out of my system first...

When I heard that Fate goes to "save" Nanoha and gets drained herself, it reminded me of this scene from Simpsons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...BC4KHx8#t=282s
Yeah, I'm with you there.

I find this editorial decision really odd. Fate arriving just in the nick of time to save Nanoha from Vita, and then firmly proclaiming that she's Nanoha's friend (not just Nanoha's ally) was a wonderful moment for Fate, as well as for Nanoha and Fate's relationship.

Why would anybody want to change that? I just don't get it.

I know that obviously some things have to be, and should be, different, but this particular change is just strange to me.

Quote:
In fairness, turning A's into a movie was always going to be a real time-management challenge. It has less "fluff" than the original Nanoha anime had, in my opinion, so it has fewer easier choices for what gets the axe and what doesn't.
Old 2012-07-16, 17:42   Link #10
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I'm still not sure exactly how it plays out since it's still unclear on whether Fate saves Nanoha from Vita, only to shortly after have both their linker cores drained. This quote from someone who watched the movie kind of implies that: "As could be seen in the trailers, Fate did not meet Nanoha in the storm of battle, but before that. She saw the barrier put up by Vita by chance and rushed in to save Nanoha." The way they first meet is obviously different, though.

The attempted save is still there, whether or not she succeeds, though...I'm not sure.
Old 2012-07-16, 18:09   Link #11
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Well since the twins aren't around, how else is she going to lose her linker core? Her and Nanoha getting them taken at the same time makes sense to me, especially at that point when the Wolkenritter were unknown enemies that were stronger than them. Saves a lot of time as well.
Old 2012-07-17, 04:15   Link #12
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Is anyone able to translate this?
Quote:
一回目の襲撃でなのはの助けに行くフェイトの前にシグナムが立ち塞がります

ここでフェイトもシグナムに敗れてしまうため TV版のようになのはを助ける事ができなかった ・・

んじゃあの名台詞

フェイト「友達だ!」

って言わないの??

と思った矢先

シグナム「あの娘はお前の家族か何かか?」

と言う問いに

フェイト「友達だ!会いたくても会えなくて・・・やっと会えた友達なんだ!!!」

友達だ!!キタ━━━(゚∀゚)━━━!!

このシーンは劇場版のほうが断然カッコイイ!!!
I believe it gives specifics to how that scene plays out in the movie.
Old 2012-07-17, 07:25   Link #13
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Well since the twins aren't around, how else is she going to lose her linker core?
There's all sorts of ways this could have been handled. You don't have to turn Fate into a horribly ineffectual rescuer, and ruin one of her best moments in order to handle this.

There are better ways of doing this.
Old 2012-07-17, 08:18   Link #14
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
There's all sorts of ways this could have been handled.
Maybe you could elaborate? Because with the time constraint, I sure can't think of any way they could do that.
Old 2012-07-17, 09:05   Link #15
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Besides, Fate was a horribly ineffectual rescuer in A's as well. Device destroyed, the person she was supposed to protect still attacked, the only thing they seem to have added here was Fate getting drained herself as well.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 09:09   Link #16
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Okay, from now on...

No one is allowed to use "Time Constraint" as an excuse for why stuff did or did not happen.

I am *SICK* of seeing that excuse for the movies that come out.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 09:21   Link #17
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
No one is allowed to use "Time Constraint" as an excuse for why stuff did or did not happen.
Thirteen episode series, each episode about 22 minutes, into a 2.5 hour movie. This sh*t happens to every adaptation - manga to anime, manga to movie, novel to movie etc; "bohooohhooo, Tom Bombadil didn't appear!" It's not an excuse, it reality.
Old 2012-07-17, 09:27   Link #18
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Thirteen episode series, each episode about 22 minutes, into a 2.5 hour movie. This sh*t happens to every adaptation - manga to anime, manga to movie, novel to movie etc; "bohooohhooo, Tom Bombadil didn't appear!" It's not an excuse, it reality.
Doesn't mean that people should use it as an excuse against any and all forms of criticism about the movie.

I know it's reality, I'm just tired of seeing it ANY time someone puts any sort of complaint up.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 09:34   Link #19
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Doesn't mean that people should use it as an excuse against any and all forms of criticism about the movie.

I know it's reality, I'm just tired of seeing it ANY time someone puts any sort of complaint up.
FYI, I'm not using it to excuse how to movie went.

Those review above? They manage to kill a good chunk of my interest, the storytelling falling into pieces just as I was afraid it would; the movie failed as a stand alone adaptation. Right now, I'm only looking forward for the fireworks - probably just gonna wait until the BD comes out and some good soul uploads the battle compilations.
Old 2012-07-17, 16:22   Link #20
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Maybe you could elaborate? Because with the time constraint, I sure can't think of any way they could do that.
Do it off-camera (in a separate fight that's briefly alluded to) and have it come up in a brief flashback if you have to (i.e. if time constraints are that big of an issue). Think of how StrikerS handled Vita's flashback of Nanoha getting brutalized by one of Jail's bots.

Yes, this isn't ideal either, but it's better than ruining one of Fate's coolest scenes, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Besides, Fate was a horribly ineffectual rescuer in A's as well.
No she's not. Fate was very effective in saving Nanoha in A's. Vita would have clearly wiped Nanoha out completely if not for Fate. Besides, the whole timing and execution of Fate's rescue was just awesome. It really made Fate look cool.

Fate (and a couple allies, IIRC) then proceeded to do an excellent job of keeping the Wolkenritter at bay. Nanoha got drained by Shamal because she didn't lay low and take time to properly heal. Not that I fault Nanoha's courage and desire to help her friends, but you can't fault Fate for that either. Fate did her part.

But it sounds like in this movie, Fate really is like Groundskeeper Willie from that Simpsons scene that Kaijo linked to.

And honestly, that's just lame, in my opinion.