AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-31, 04:24   Link #341
YourIdeas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elior View Post
so from what i seen so far it seems so it seems few of the battles in doki doki will be based on strategy instead of shooting thier attacks right away
The battles are a bit gimmicky, but at least it's better than Smile's stale "get beat, make friendship speech, launch the giant fucking lazer" formula.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 11:18   Link #342
sirtao

I'm still waiting for the reveal Joe Okada is actually Joker from Smile, trolling everybody everywhere forever

Joe Okada->Joker da!
sirtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 12:35   Link #343
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I think Mamoru Miyano would have been a better choice for Joe rather than Takahiro Sakurai, although there are more interesting and fitting VA to take into account other peoples' preferences.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 16:33   Link #344
ujiuji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Hope this serves as a proper analogy:

Rika is to Yomi while Mana is to Mato, and Makoto is to Yuu.

Although I don't think TOEI is going to troll us with some severe personality or emotional stuff on Rika, surely those pics from above are enough to troll me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Spoiler for Ondul! Precure 09 - Obake va Akadyan:
I do wish you'd mention which show characters are from when making comparisons. Not everyone has seen the same shows and some of those names are too common to narrow it down much. If you just write "characters a, b, & c from show x" I can at least go and look up show x and get an idea of what you mean. I might even be intrigued enough to watch show x!

I don't want to pick on posters whose thoughts I enjoy reading, but I've noticed this habit of referring to characters from other series without naming that series has become more common of late. To give an idea of the problems this can cause; the only Reirei I can think of off hand is the eponymous heroine of a soft-core hentai series from the 1990s. I doubt she's the character you meant. Or maybe she is!
ujiuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 16:35   Link #345
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujiuji View Post
I doubt she's the character you meant. Or maybe she is!
My fault. "Reirei" is my nickname for Vividred Operation's Rei Kuroki. And Fate is from Nanoha. Both in the magical girl genre.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 16:43   Link #346
ujiuji

That's okay, it's just a pet peeve of mine. The amusing thing is the other Reirei could, from what I can make out, be referred to as a magical girl of sorts. I haven't seen it, don't know if she ever went to school, so I really did have some doubts.
Old 2013-03-31, 16:56   Link #347
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujiuji View Post
I do wish you'd mention which show characters are from when making comparisons. Not everyone has seen the same shows and some of those names are too common to narrow it down much. If you just write "characters a, b, & c from show x" I can at least go and look up show x and get an idea of what you mean. I might even be intrigued enough to watch show x!
I offer my apologies for causing you too much confusion.

The characters that I mentioned- Yuu, Mato, and Yomi - come from Black Rock Shooter, the anime.
Old 2013-03-31, 18:16   Link #348
ujiuji

Quote:
I offer my apologies for causing you too much confusion.

The characters that I mentioned- Yuu, Mato, and Yomi - come from Black Rock Shooter, the anime.
Thanks, I shall investigate.
Old 2013-03-31, 19:14   Link #349
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I think that this is a pretty good explanation for why you wouldn't want to make a baby a central part of a story.
I have the same opinion. Well, but nothing can be done about what the scriptwriters want.
Anyway, I think it's safe to assume that not every episode would be about babysitting.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 21:33   Link #350
4Tran

Episode 9

From the best episode of Dokidoki last week, we get one of the worst episodes this week. It's a pretty typical baby gets on the loose and causes chaos story, and these stories tend to be terrible. Younger children tend to like this kind of show/episode, but I don't think that it offers very much for older viewers. If it had let the characters interact in unfamiliar and novel ways, then it would have been something, but this outing doesn't offer any of that.

- Ai is a terrible character in large doses.

- Joe is a pretty terrible character as well. He wouldn't be so bad if the Cures actually asked him questions, but without that, he's just a source of frustration (and poor writing).

- They did have a couple of characters who would have been far better at taking care of Ai. Dabi and the butler would have done a much better job than the (lesser) fairies. So of course, they don't end up doing anything this episode.

I sure hope that this episode isn't going to be a sign of things to come.
Old 2013-03-31, 22:03   Link #351
YourIdeas

Quote:
- They did have a couple of characters who would have been far better at taking care of Ai. Dabi and the butler would have done a much better job than the (lesser) fairies. So of course, they don't end up doing anything this episode.
I thought of this as well (for Sebastian anyways, Dabi's too busy being a manager to take care of Ai) but then I remembered that she needs her food, bed, etc. from the Lovies, which I'm guessing is a Precure-only settable item.

Also, I really don't think Ai is that bad, though I admit that Joe's action this episode was just strange writing to set up this episode's plot.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 23:06   Link #352
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
From the best episode of Dokidoki last week, we get one of the worst episodes this week. It's a pretty typical baby gets on the loose and causes chaos story, and these stories tend to be terrible. Younger children tend to like this kind of show/episode, but I don't think that it offers very much for older viewers. If it had let the characters interact in unfamiliar and novel ways, then it would have been something, but this outing doesn't offer any of that.

- Joe is a pretty terrible character as well. He wouldn't be so bad if the Cures actually asked him questions, but without that, he's just a source of frustration (and poor writing).

It's too early to comment anything positive on Joe. So, for the time being, he's still not at the same league to Kaoru from Fresh; at least, the latter baked doughnuts to make happy the girls, and his explored past was quite interesting.

To me the worst kind of episode in any of TOEI's magical-girl shows are the type when one of the girls is offered a chance to take on a scholarship, making a tour, or doing some business overseas and away from home and getting anxious at the potential possibility of a break-up and not being together with the other girls anymore.
Honestly, the plot in those kinds of episode is not only campy but an über waste, because at the end, the girl in question chooses not to go and decline that opportunity. Instead, she stays at home with the rest of the team.
Now, I'm not complaining, because the girl declines to take on an offer that could potentially boost her personal career or her personal life. But, because I already know right from the start, that the particular girl is loyal to her other friends and will stay with them forever; those kinds of episodes are too much ado about nothing.

As for other characters taking care of Ai, well that's not going to happen due to merchandising purposes. It serves for a cute and moé advertising showing Ai and the girls nursing baby Ai, so that the children watching this anime will buy more toys and paraphernalia related to this season, and thus increasing sales for BANDAI.
Old 2013-04-01, 03:47   Link #353
elior

Quote:

actully the girls did asked joe questions about him but he avoided give any information and escape all the time
elior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 14:26   Link #354
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourIdeas View Post
I thought of this as well (for Sebastian anyways, Dabi's too busy being a manager to take care of Ai) but then I remembered that she needs her food, bed, etc. from the Lovies, which I'm guessing is a Precure-only settable item.
The non-story reasons are way more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourIdeas View Post
Also, I really don't think Ai is that bad, though I admit that Joe's action this episode was just strange writing to set up this episode's plot.
So far, Joe exists as a way for Ai to interact with the Cures without having her stay with Mana. It's an alternative to the Sailor Moon-style brainwashing of Usagi's family.

Quote:
To me the worst kind of episode in any of TOEI's magical-girl shows are the type when one of the girls is offered a chance to take on a scholarship, making a tour, or doing some business overseas and away from home and getting anxious at the potential possibility of a break-up and not being together with the other girls anymore.
Honestly, the plot in those kinds of episode is not only campy but an über waste, because at the end, the girl in question chooses not to go and decline that opportunity. Instead, she stays at home with the rest of the team.
Now, I'm not complaining, because the girl declines to take on an offer that could potentially boost her personal career or her personal life. But, because I already know right from the start, that the particular girl is loyal to her other friends and will stay with them forever; those kinds of episodes are too much ado about nothing.
I don't really mind that story when it's used to shine on a never before seen facet of a character, and how their friends react to this new uncertainty. It's not really meant to generate a whole lot of tension by itself. Generally, the story works best if the character in question has an established reason for going abroad, but it can still be effective otherwise (see Smile Precure 43).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elior View Post
actully the girls did asked joe questions about him but he avoided give any information and escape all the time
Joe's non-answers are part and parcel of why he's such a frustrating character. In a good episode, his faults can be overlooked, but it gets really grating in bad episodes.
Old 2013-04-02, 00:27   Link #355
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Episode 9:

Spoiler:
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 09:04   Link #356
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

It seems we will get a new character in July
Spoiler:
Old 2013-04-02, 11:49   Link #357
Midonin
Last Engage

I'm getting a Miracle Berthier crossed with a MagiStick vibe from those new weapons. What Makopi's doing is straight up MagiYellow.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 23:05   Link #358
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I'm getting a Miracle Berthier crossed with a MagiStick vibe from those new weapons.
One looks like the bottom half of this:

and the other looks like this:

Old 2013-04-03, 00:41   Link #359
elior

Quote:

the first one is the new weapon we will see in episode 11
elior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 00:43   Link #360
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:

Why do I get Sailor Moon vibes from watching both?

Tags
action, magical girl