AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-12, 09:12   Link #1101
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Some people like Shinji feels the same way you do, which is fine, personally I couldn't care less, as it was story was executed decently well.
Fair enough. I have no intention on forcing my opinion.

Quote:
Fairy Dance is no more of a "subplot" than GGO or even the SAO arc itself.
Allow me to rephrase. I liked the SAO arc much more than the Fairy Dance, and it bothered me that Fairy Dance had to come along right before the romance subplot, which was the highlight of the SAO arc, could be resolved. That's my opinion, so you don't have to agree with it.

Quote:
Of course not, but neither should a genuinely hate-able villain somehow become a minus IMO.
It was more of a personal reaction from me than anything else, but it wouldn't hurt for some villains to be a bit more complex as opposed to the usual caricature-ish villainy we're so used to.

Last edited by Qilin; 2012-07-12 at 09:34.
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 09:15   Link #1102
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
It's quite amusing to note that romantically speaking, Kirito and Asuna's relationship has been far beyond the point of 90+% of Romantic couples in anime, manga, LN or VN ever since Volume 2.
Heh, indeed it is. It's also why I'm fine with there not being as much development with regard to their romance in the later volumes.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 09:25   Link #1103
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Heh, indeed it is. It's also why I'm fine with there not being as much development with regard to their romance in the later volumes.
In many ways, I think only Clannad Afterstory ( and some of the older, 90's Rom Coms) have gone further.

But in a sense, it doesn't seem that Asuna and Kirito have that many issues cropping up in their relationship that they have to work at - unlike, say Mysterious Girl Friend X - of course, reaching a stage of development only close married couples usually reach by the end of Volume 1 probably played a huge role. Hopefully, the rewrites of the Aincrad arc would give an even finer resolution of their development.

Of course, I'd suspect the next set of issues to crop up will only occur once there's a change in their current circumstances in the real world - ie: Post Alicization but if the story is ending after this current arc, the author probably won't be exploring that. I guess though, on the romantic front, the "happy families (couples) are all alike" principal makes it very tricky for more development. Because short of both of them tying the knot in real life, there's very little room for more development - cohabiting together in University is not going to raise any real new issues, for example, nor are conflicting life goals, since both of them seem to be headed down the same path in life. (And one of the big Life Goals is Each other, of course).

Last edited by novalysis; 2012-07-12 at 09:37.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 09:34   Link #1104
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
In many ways, I think only Clannad Afterstory ( and some of the older, 90's Rom Coms) have gone further.

But in a sense, it doesn't seem that Asuna and Kirito have that many issues cropping up in their relationship that they have to work at - unlike, say Mysterious Girl Friend X - of course, reaching a stage of development only close married couples usually reach by the end of Volume 1 probably played a huge role.

Of course, I'd suspect the next set of issues to crop up will only occur once there's a change in their current circumstances in the real world - ie: Post Alicization but if the story is ending after this current arc, the author probably won't be exploring that.
Eh, perhaps. I don't like the Clannad series. But all I'll say is I'm pretty sure that Clannad, and perhaps those other shows weren't a good mix of action, fantasy, sci-fi, and romance. ;p

Some people are just made for each other like that. :3

I'm sure that they'll deal with those issues as they crop up, as they've both proven to be very understanding people.
Old 2012-07-12, 09:40   Link #1105
novalysis

Quote:
Eh, perhaps. I don't like the Clannad series. But all I'll say is I'm pretty sure that Clannad, and perhaps those other shows weren't a good mix of action, fantasy, sci-fi, and romance. ;p

Some people are just made for each other like that. :3

I'm sure that they'll deal with those issues as they crop up, as they've both proven to be very understanding people.
Well true, given the genre bursting dimensions of SAO, romance has, and easily could be relegated to a sub-background plot. I'm just observing that even in series where romance is a background plot, they don't spend nearly the bulk of their arcs with their couples in a state just short of marriage. And that's one of the rather unique things to SAO.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 09:43   Link #1106
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Well true, given the genre bursting dimensions of SAO, romance has, and easily could be relegated to a sub-background plot. I'm just observing that even in series where romance is a background plot, they don't spend nearly the bulk of their arcs with their couples in a state just short of marriage. And that's one of the rather unique things to SAO.
Depends on your perspective, I suppose.

And yes, well said.
Old 2012-07-12, 09:52   Link #1107
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Because short of both of them tying the knot in real life, there's very little room for more development
cue SAO: Midlife Crisis arc!
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 10:10   Link #1108
deathbringer

Yeah I think one of the biggest weaknesses of sao is that each individual arc feels like a reboot with only the sub plots that are a continuation of the story. Not that the latter arcs are that much worse than first(they're pretty good and still very enjoyable), it is just that it gives the series a very disjointed feel.
deathbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 10:36   Link #1109
kyp275
Meh

eh, reboot is definitely the wrong word to use here, a more accurate term would be episodic. SAO does not have a major overarching plot that goes from the beginning to the end. The story is about Kirito & Co., and their experiences in various VR world.
Old 2012-07-12, 10:42   Link #1110
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
eh, reboot is definitely the wrong word to use here, a more accurate term would be episodic. SAO does not have a major overarching plot that goes from the beginning to the end. The story is about Kirito & Co., and their experiences in various VR world.
This. I dislike arguing semantics, but eh, I definitely agree with kyp in this case.
Old 2012-07-12, 11:09   Link #1111
maelstormCaT

Quote:
This. I dislike arguing semantics, but eh, I definitely agree with kyp in this case.
Same here.
Though I do notice that the problem at Phantom Bullet and Fairy Dance stemmed from Sword Art Online. So I guess all the novels still comes from the same Root.

Have to wonder if Alicization is also a stem from SoA... Kirito get stuck in UW because of a member of the laughing coffin after all. Maybe we'll find out what happened to PoH in this last arc?

And Shinon's story about the 4th Bullets of Bullets <BoB> Tournament is quite sketchy also. The fact that her opponent acted like an assassin almost screams out <Laughing Coffin>
maelstormCaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 11:20   Link #1112
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

there is also Kayaba who is running loose in the VRM games.
Old 2012-07-12, 11:32   Link #1113
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstormCaT View Post
Same here.
Though I do notice that the problem at Phantom Bullet and Fairy Dance stemmed from Sword Art Online. So I guess all the novels still comes from the same Root.
It's hard to top that 'root' though.

I mean, ultimately for all of the problems that exist post-SAO, they never possessed the same level of emotions and investment for the characters simply for the reason that they're no longer in the same life-or-death situation.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 11:38   Link #1114
maelstormCaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post

I mean, ultimately for all of the problems that exist post-SAO, they never possessed the same level of emotions and investment for the characters simply for the reason that they're no longer in the same life-or-death situation.
I think Alicization is a life death situation... maybe...
maelstormCaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 12:08   Link #1115
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:

I agree with this actually. Kirito mellowed out somewhat post-ALO as seen in GGO and Mothers Rosario...still his first time experiencing pain in UG is somewhat going back to SAO levels.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 12:43   Link #1116
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

just read "There is but One Ultimate Way" really hope the author keep the new ending similar to this and Asuna is such a understanding wife
Old 2012-07-12, 12:47   Link #1117
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
just read "There is but One Ultimate Way" really hope the author keep the new ending similar to this and Asuna is such a understanding wife
Uh, no. Why ruin such a good relationship? It was confirmed to be non-canon by the author, so there's not a hope in hell it'll happen.
Old 2012-07-12, 12:57   Link #1118
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Uh, no. Why ruin such a good relationship? It was confirmed to be non-canon by the author, so there's not a hope in hell it'll happen.
Exactly.

Either way though, I hereby offer my service regardless of which route the author takes - If Kirito goes the harem route, I'll be more than happy to comfort poor Asuna, who obviously deserves better. And if Kirito sticks with Asuna... well, I'll do the same for all the poor rejected haremettes
Old 2012-07-12, 13:44   Link #1119
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker

Quote:

Huh? All of the arcs have been life-or-death situations in some sense. That's at least so for Kirito.

ALO: Kirito's beloved Asuna was about to get NTR'ed. That's cause for suicide there.

GGO: Death Gun's murders almost ended with Kirito. He can dodge/cut bullets, but the syringes always seem to stick him.

Alicization: Well... happy second syringe encounter! What the heck do we even know about the UW?

Quote:
Let's hope that SAO doesn't go beyond hell to a harem ending then. Kirito has hardly shown romantic interest for anyone besides Asuna (good husband). His ambiguous relationship with Sachi hardly matters after her . Kirito desires not a harem.
trinitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 13:49   Link #1120
haseo0408

Does anyone know if the guys in Baka-Tsiku are going to tanslate volume 10? After having the first 9 in english I can´t wait for latest one.
haseo0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality