AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2012-04-12, 21:54   Link #2061
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Oh, I love good news in the morning:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...c-guitar-sales
give credit where credit is due
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 17:04   Link #2062
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

That's funny. AKB48 guitar is a gretch... Had to check it out to be sure. Ya know what another video clip with a Gretch LP is ?

This one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBpMv2yQoXk&feature=fvst

Baby O'Riley by The Who. Another reference tie in from AKB to K-On. (through The Who) hahaha
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 22:50   Link #2063
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Saw this a while back. Found it a pretty interesting read.

http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/commen...or_kon_had_an/

Quote:
From: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%81%...A9.95.E4.BE.A1
My quick and dirty translation:
K-ON is frequently assessed by the fact that despite being a depiction of a high school Keiongaku-club, typical band-genre tropes of "Obstacles and growth along the way of achieving mainstream success", "Conflicts between musical tastes of individual members", "Serious romantic relations", and other such dramatic elements are completely eliminated. While initially it invited reactions within the anime community by certain members "being clueless as to how to enjoy this at all", the late 2000's has already seen a similar boom in works having a specifically Otaku appeal(Translator's note: K-on had a 30% female viewership, which is fairly significant for an anime, especially a late-night one like K-on), known colloquially on the internet as "atmospheric"* works. If the 2007 anime series Lucky Star is the front runner of the Atmospheric style, the present work could be considered its pinnacle. When comparing the two works, Lucky Star has the setting of an otaku main character to bring forth jokes and twists based in otaku culture, Keion differs to this in that it is completely lacking in Otaku humor-elements, and has focused entirely on the pure depiction of "the daily lives of several bishoujo".
The present work's success has often been attributed to the previously mentioned features being in line with modern society. Critic Uno Tsunehiro has claimed works like Keion(series endlessly repeating conversations about nothing in particular) depicting an idealized form of communication will increase in amount in a modern society affected with what Sociologist Kitada Akihiro calls "Tsunagari no Shakaisei"(Social condition of connectedness)**, and that this Atmospheric mentality can be seen in the anime's soundtrack and lyrics. Anime critic Hyoukawa Ryusuke considers that aside from the anime's popularity being attributable to it being adapted by a famous anime production studio, but also to the stylistic characteristic of the work's portrayl of a Joshikousei main character and their world, citing the lack of any real effort on the characters' part to improve musically nor there being any major male characters -claiming that the act of observing the main casts' daily lives within this setting was concurrent with society at the time of its popularity. Itou Yuu, a researcher at the Kyoto International Museum pointed out in the 10/21/2010 edition of the Asahi Newspaper that the anime lacks in "the basic structure of a 4-panel strips Kishoutenketsu(Japanese term for Occurence-Rising action-Twist-End pattern, think of it as the wheel of plot)" and that "due to there being no story, the characters do not experience any growth", while explaining its success as "the depiction of a twist-less and growth-less utopia-esque day-to-day as a perfect match to the strong desire present in the modern individual who wishes simply to connect with other's lives, for example through media like blogs and twitter". Ito's comments have been interpreted by the internet forum 2chan as criticizing the present work, eliciting reactions such as "For the sake of debate I'll agree there's little to no story, but saying it's empty of growth is itself an empty statement" "This is horrible, there's clearly both growth and change". Keion's producer Nakayama Yoshihisa has admitted it may be lacking in what would typically be considered a plot, but that the observant viewers who pick up on subtle cues of internal feelings and concerns of the characters from bits and pieces of their silly conversations can be authentically moved, and claims that "criticzing the piece as lacking in any eventfulness" is an overly simplistic argument.
Though Keion is a slice of life, unlike series such as "Sazae-san"(a long-running Japanese slice of life series) that basically stop the progress of time in any form, Keion instead provides a proper ending in the form of the characters' graduation. Art critic Kuresawa Takemi has praised the anime's ending with the original work at basically the same time as a satisfying form of conclusiveness, similar to the approach of Azumanga Daioh, and Uno Tsunehiro has said the heroine's paradise-like community forcefully brought to an end by graduation brings up the question of how or if they are capable of maintaing it into their future.
Keion's Daily life-oriented direction(story) has been predicted to be difficult to continue. Critic Kurose Youhei has said that simply continuing to depict the daily lives of the bishoujo would be tapering, and expects a huge shift in direction, while sociologist Miyadai Shinji has predicted slice of life series such as keion would have difficulty finding a place in a Japan under the influence of the the 3/11/2011 Touhoku Earthquake.
*Atmospheric, "kuukikei" is a term describing series that have no particular end goal that sort of meander on with conversations. They have a more ambient quality to them and don't stress plot or character development, and sometimes aren't even that humorous. The American equivalent would be those cool conversations characters have for no real reason about random inanities in Tarantino films, though instead of the end-result(not necessarily goal) being "cool" for kuukikei it's more likely than not to be "cute".
**Societal Condition of Connectedness is a legitimate sociological term describing(as far as I understand it) a society dominated by social networks like facebook and twitter, addicted to being connected 24/7 and engaging in communication not just for the practical exchange of content, emotion, and information, but for the sake of communication itself. Think of it as a room of people yawning, sneezing, and glancing at each other without actually saying anything -all acts that aren't intended to communicate anything, but if any given "receiver" interprets them as communication, then it is established as communication. Kitada developed it within the framework of the social theory of Niklas Luhman
Other sections of the article note that the rare combination of a female director, female series planner, and female character designer along with other key female staff members as contributing to the authenticity of the anime(and in my opinion another factor in what I and many consider to be a superior adaptation to the manga, which is written by a single male mangaka)
TL;DR: K-ON's utopian friendship-microcosm fulfills modern Japan's(and as an extension those of overseas fans) desire for a nearly lost form of simple connection with others, its subtler depiction of growth and change, along with espousing pointless conversation for its own sake slightly elevates the slice of life genre in terms of artfulness. Also, people in Japan think about anime very very srsly.
TL;DR the TL;DR: Fun things are fun
Anyways, I thought it was a fairly interesting read(I'm probably not alone in having never given that much thought to K-ON) so I thought I'd kill some time to share it with all you guys. Tell me if anything's difficult to understand or you see any errors and I'll clarify/fix.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 23:22   Link #2064
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Saw this a while back. Found it a pretty interesting read.
Thanks for posting; that is a rather interesting read. I think the fact that the show elicits this sort of analysis from critics, newspapers, and sociologists points to the significance of the work. Particularly, I think it's interesting that they point to time and place as being hugely significant in the show's popularity; that the anime is as much a "sign of the times" as anything else, and that other similar shows today may not achieve the same response simply due to cultural shifts. The show is ultimately a sort of escapism; a refuge from the crazy connected world, as they allude to. I think that's why the show was a tough sell to some people who are trying to get engaged in the plot of an anime, rather than just letting themselves get lost in the setting and character interactions. I also think it's interesting that the translator points to the female staff as being a key factor; that may be significant both to help add some authenticity to the character interactions at the core of the show, but perhaps also on that more subtle, intangible emotional level.

In any case, good read.
Old 2012-05-14, 17:39   Link #2065
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I loved this anime
Old 2012-05-16, 11:40   Link #2066
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Oh, I love good news in the morning:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...c-guitar-sales

Girls playing guitar is sexy... and girls playing rock on guitar are even sexier. I approve of this trend
Old 2012-05-22, 18:28   Link #2067
gRaViJa

Hey everyone (first post here). I have some questions but couldn't make a thread, so i guess this place is the best to post.

-> During last week i was bored, so i randomly started making a website (i'm a professional web developer) to try out some new stuff. I decided to make something K-On themed and i got a bit carried away and made almost an entire community website lol.

There's a news channel, a section where you can watch season 1 and season 2, a webshop with related products, an imageboards and a fullfledged forum. I think it looks pretty good so i started thinking about launching it as a fullfledged website. But to decide wether or not is should do that, i have some questions:

* Do you think there's need for a big k-on community website? Are there any english websites like this already online? Do you think a full website is needed or are you satisfied with a forum only (like this forum and hence, you don't gonna need my website)? Are forums like this one (the k-on part) active or not?

*I know there has been plenty of discussion about this, but do you think there will be a season 3 or not? I personally would say yes because of the open end of season 2, the success rate of the show and the new mangas being released in Japan. Am i just wishfull thinking or not? I'm asking this because it wouldn't be very smart to release a website for a show that isn't going to produce anything new anymore apart from the english version of the movie.

Please let me know
gRaViJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-22, 19:07   Link #2068
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay here. You've come to right thread.
First off, I'd be a little concerned about the success of the website- whilst the franchise is indeed popular, it has been diminishing since the release of the movie in Japan (the movie started airing in December last year, and will be released on DVD and BD in July). It would have been better if you could've launched it back in 2009 or 2010, when the anime aired.
This particular subforum hasn't been very active since the airing of the movie, but I'm not sure about sites dedicated to K-On.
Can't say I've seen many English K-On community sites, but I don't venture very often outside of a select number of websites.
I'm slightly concerned about the likelihood of a third anime season. Whilst the merchandise pulls in a hell of a lot of money for all involved, the new university characters in particular don't seem to have resonated quite as much with the fans as the original four; whilst the new high school chapters remain relatively popular (albeit as many people here have mentioned, a revolving door scenario is undesirable).
I'm particularly concerned about the webshop (where are you going to source the products from? Official merchandise can be expensive), and being able to watch the first two seasons of the anime on the site (since both seasons are licensed, you'll be putting a big DMCA target on your website). You may run into issues with forum moderation as well.

Apologies if this comes off as harsh or blunt, it's just the pessimism kicking in.
Personally though, I'd like to see some screenshots though, since it sounds like you've put a lot of effort into this idea. Feel free to let me know if you need some clarification on the points I brought up. Good luck!
Old 2012-05-22, 20:34   Link #2069
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If you're actually a *professional* web developer, you know about copyright law and infringement issues... the anime and manga are both licensed. Unless you've secured the rights (unlikely), you're wasting a lot of energy.
Old 2012-05-23, 05:10   Link #2070
gRaViJa

Thanks for the replies. Some answers:

* The webshop would be build with amazon, so the webstore would be on the website, but ordering and payment would go through Amazon.

* As a professional web developer i do know it's not legal. But this website would be a personal initiative + let's be honest here, there are 100's of websites that offer anime etc. for free and never get any problem. Of course i wouldn't actually host them on the website, but embed them from an video website.

* I did not waste a lot of energy since i just needed a subject to build a community website on, i never planned to release it, just to learn from it. But because it does look nice now, I decided to think about it.

Anyway, conclusion: I'll only go through with this plan if there will ever come a season 3.
gRaViJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 15:34   Link #2071
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

so who exactly is this person? I frequently see this dude on youtube k-on related stuff
Old 2012-08-09, 20:43   Link #2072
Midonin
Last Engage

Did some thinking about what, exactly, the series means to me, now that I've seen the movie. It was worth it, but it also relates to what's been going on at this board.

"K-ON Clone" and Serendipity

Last edited by Midonin; 2012-09-04 at 17:50.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 00:15   Link #2073
Sparvid
*hic*

Not exactly sure what the most fitting thread would be, but I'm guessing this.

I took a trip to Kyoto this week, and when planning things to do, I figured that I had time to make a side trip to Toyosato for the first time.

Spoiler for exterior:

Spoiler for hallways:

Spoiler for club room:

Spoiler for assembly hall:

Also, video:

If you're in the Kyoto-Osaka area, I highly recommend checking it out. Very pretty place. It took me about 2 hours from Kyoto Station (with the cheapest alternative). Make sure to write down the timetable though, since the trains from Toyosato only leave about once/hour. Otherwise it would be easy to leave the school either much too early or slightly too late.

Going directly from Tokyo would probably be quite expensive, unless you happen to have a Rail Pass for Shinkansen.

Spoiler for bonus pictures from Kyoto:
Old 2012-10-12, 06:37   Link #2074
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

I'm liking these pictures.

If I recall correctly, all the class members of 3-2 have road sign (child crossing) versions of themselves, and as can be seen, other anime characters also have their own versions, like this one of Hyouka's Eru Chitanda.

I also recognised a few of the posters as being done by various fanartists (such as this one)...

There was that incident where instruments were stolen from this place, I think. They probably didn't want to risk it again...
Old 2012-10-12, 14:02   Link #2075
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
This is so exciting! Thank you so much for posting! Its good to see what it looks like with up to date pictures/video! I remember posting something similar to this this a while back, but this is just awesome! I hope you had fun there, and again thank you for taking those pictures/video!, and posting them! You totally ROCK!

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2012-10-12 at 16:38.
Old 2012-10-30, 21:16   Link #2076
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
I saw this article pop up from ANN earlier and at first it surprised me but now that I think about it, it seems fitting.

K-ON!'s Real-Life School to Be Designated as Cultural Asset
Old 2012-11-02, 03:34   Link #2077
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

I wish Ho-kago tea time made more music!! I've been on a musical adventure trying to find things similar. I end up finding other goodies, but still I want more HTT!! ... I'm having a music withdrawal
Old 2012-11-11, 05:30   Link #2078
YuiHirasawaHTT
Untan♪

(My first post here)
I just Love K-ON!
The Anime really inspired me to get off my lazy ass and start learning how to play guitar. :P
I actually bought the same guitar as Yui :3
And 90% of my music playlist are k-on songs.
Man..I really should get outside more...Meh
Old 2012-11-11, 14:00   Link #2079
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuiHirasawaHTT View Post
(My first post here)
I just Love K-ON!
The Anime really inspired me to get off my lazy ass and start learning how to play guitar. :P
noway! keep it up!
Old 2012-11-11, 19:35   Link #2080
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuiHirasawaHTT View Post
(My first post here)
I just Love K-ON!
If you wish, you can post your songs on one of the music threads (I think the sheet music one is it, but please rectify this if it is not the case) I'd love to hear your covers!

Tags
comedy, light music, seinen