AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-04-01, 22:34   Link #21
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

There were some clunkers, of course, like Cardcaptors, and there were times where they had to edit some nudity and too much blood since it was originally a 3 pm-6 pm school day block. But in general, it showed solid shows with solid dubs.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 22:48   Link #22
Dr. Casey

I wasn't ever too happy with most of the dubs because one of the things I expect the most in a translation is faithfulness to the original script. English dubs like Dragon Ball are enjoyable watches in their own right, but I once watched the English version with subtitles on and it proved headache-inducing because almost none of the dialogue relates whatsoever to what was actually said in the Japanese. Yu Yu Hakusho was much the same, though not to the same degree. They're nowhere near as flagrantly and blatantly butchered as Cardcaptors or anything, of course, and they're not bad products in and of themselves, but they do diverge enough from the spirit and characterization of the original to put me off.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 22:51   Link #23
solomon

pishawww, Yu Yu had a really fun dub, you got what the story was and characters idocyncracies stayed the same, it's shonen not Tolstoy, plus the more relaxed, ad libbed, wise cracker angle Funi put on DBZ and Yu Yu (especially) was much more fun than the Japanese which 90% was just standard read out of characters thoughts or needless exposition.

Anyway yea, obvious AS trolling is obvious, don't get your hopes up seriously, and rumors about Toonami coming back from what somewhere on the INTERNET, Hokey Smokes Batman it MUST BE TRUE!!!
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 23:06   Link #24
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon
it's shonen not Tolstoy
ah, the good old "It's not Shakespeare" defense (or Tolstoy, close enough); the original Dragon Ball Z was a competently written story on par with your average shonen, I don't think it's unreasonable to dislike the dub for throwing in horribly grating voices, god awful soulless faux-grunge music designed to make seven year olds think they're watching something hardcore, characters that don't have any consistent personality or character traits but instead serve as vessels for corny humor and badass as fuck trash talk to include in their cheaply-designed commercials, and a terrible script that makes it obvious that Funi thought kids are morons who can't enjoy a story unless it's filled to the brim with horribly cheesy 'humor' that would've made me eyeroll when I was 8 and 'hip' dialogue that would've made the Ninja Turtles ask them to shut the hell up; Dragon Ball Z might not be Tolstoy, but the gap between the original version and the dub is still about as wide as that between War and Peace and the Teletubbies.
Old 2012-04-01, 23:14   Link #25
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

delicious hyperbole, but aside agreeing about the music, I found both versions enjoyable to an extent, so it's a resounding "meh" from me.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 23:21   Link #26
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
delicious hyperbole
glad you like my over the top anger <3

Though I just went and used Alchemist's link to send Funi a letter begging Cartoon Network to bring Toonami back, because I am a nice guy and want to make all my wonderful AnimeSuki friends happy.
Old 2012-04-02, 02:59   Link #27
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I wasn't ever too happy with most of the dubs because one of the things I expect the most in a translation is faithfulness to the original script. English dubs like Dragon Ball are enjoyable watches in their own right, but I once watched the English version with subtitles on and it proved headache-inducing because almost none of the dialogue relates whatsoever to what was actually said in the Japanese. Yu Yu Hakusho was much the same, though not to the same degree. They're nowhere near as flagrantly and blatantly butchered as Cardcaptors or anything, of course, and they're not bad products in and of themselves, but they do diverge enough from the spirit and characterization of the original to put me off.
One thing to keep in mind is that the dubs have to speak in the exact same amount of time as the Japanese voice acting: no body wants to watch a show where a character talks with his mouth closed. That's more difficult than it sounds, as Japanese very often is so concise and omit a lot of parts of a sentence. Occasionally, the opposite is true. So it is hard to keep the same meaning and preserve the length of the sentence. I have heard sometimes even the mouth shape is taken into consideration as well, since the viewers subconsciously think something is weird if a wide open mouth makes a sound that were pronounced with the opposite mouth shape.
Old 2012-04-02, 07:51   Link #28
FaiEatsRainbows
Wonderful Wonderholic

I didn't find the English dubs to be too terrible. Cheesy, if anything. But that's expected from older anime's. They also kept it pretty accurate most of the time.
Old 2012-04-02, 14:08   Link #29
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I'm so mad I missed it Saturday night
Old 2012-04-02, 17:29   Link #30
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

How dare they play it as a april fools joke, and on Adult Swim... this isn't a joke, its a INSULT!

Its like "Hey guys we miss this stuff right? Well Haha its a joke! You're force to watch this patheticly bad real life CRAP! that we do in our back yards"
Old 2012-04-02, 17:44   Link #31
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Does anyone what the tv rating was?
Old 2012-04-02, 18:25   Link #32
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
There were some clunkers, of course, like Cardcaptors, and there were times where they had to edit some nudity and too much blood since it was originally a 3 pm-6 pm school day block. But in general, it showed solid shows with solid dubs.
Cardcaptors on Toonami?

that's news to me... cause Cardcaptors was aired exclusively on Kids WB and WarnerBrothers affiliated stations (now called CW) .
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 18:38   Link #33
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Nope, Cardcaptors was aired for a short period of time on Toonami (the CN version) and the Midnight Run in 2002. I don't even think that it ran all the way though once before being removed, though.

It's not that weird, Hamtaro had a successful run on Toonami.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 19:08   Link #34
Lost Cause

I went straight to "TOM" himself Steve Blum and asked about it, he says it was a "love letter to all of us fans" and that if you really want it back you need to tell Cartoon Network hoe you feel! I did!!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 01:45   Link #35
khalaggar venomtooth
Paragon

they should just make a channel biult only on anime it'll be easyier if anime was a stand alone catagory and less of an add on to other channels cuz its annoiying to only relie on adult swim for animes to only watch one day of the week and most of the animes on adult swim fucking shukks bawls and hav ben rerunned bellions of time if they made a channel purely biult apon anime and call it anime central or animatoons or uhhh animemultiplex or somthing that'll be kick ass cuz without saturday night adult swim what would your next source for anime?
khalaggar venomtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 01:46   Link #36
khalaggar venomtooth
Paragon

and im trying to finish up the rest of strike witches if eny1 hav ever seen that
khalaggar venomtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 06:46   Link #37
Lost Cause

They tried that, it was called Anime Network and ADV put it out a few years ago. Sorry to say its now defunct as well.
I remember not only TOONAMI but also the STARZ anime Friday night block, Tech TV had an anime block and on two different occasions SciFi did it as well.
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 07:46   Link #38
FaiEatsRainbows
Wonderful Wonderholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Tech TV had an anime block and on two different occasions SciFi did it as well.
I thought SciFi still did? I stopped keeping up with it about a year ago, though, so I don't know. It would suck if that was canceled too.
Old 2012-04-03, 08:31   Link #39
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Tech TV, Stars, Sci-Fi and Cinemax all played anime at one point. I think Sci-Fi had a anime block a couple years ago, I do remember Gurren Lagann being on it.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 09:04   Link #40
Xagzan

Wow, maybe it wasn't just a prank?

https://twitter.com/#!/adultswim/sta...04036824834049
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote