Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-08, 06:26   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Chapter 518 [Manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.
Old 2008-10-08, 07:50   Link #2
Prestige

Eearly synopsis is out;

Chapter 518 rough script

Luffy who sees Hancock's back doesn't perish after all.

Hancock says she'd rather die then let anyone see her back and live, she lunges at Luffy.

A 'Mero Mero' attack hits him [what the, is it Noro Noro?] I was too hasty, I need to calm down [?] what was with that weird face.

Hancock is surprised her 'Mero Mero' attacks were ineffective.

Luffy quickly escapes the bathroom, but is later recaptured and taken to an arena to be executed.

Hancock questions Luffy on what his objectives are, Margaret apologizes for failing to protect everyone, as does that noisy woman and the giant woman.

Hancock turns those three to stone

A dark monster that is used for these execution rituals tries to kill him. But Luffy binds him up with a snake and takes it down with a large blow.

Hancock tries 'Mero Mero' again, but as expected it failed [Gaben (shock sfx)] she makes a really weird face.

The two Boa sisters arrive
With a giant snake, it finishes there

Btw Luffy gets pissed according pics after he sees what Hancock does to Margaret and others...and when Luffy gets mad stuff starts to blow up =)
Old 2008-10-08, 08:02   Link #3
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Oh. Goody. Showoff time: I've got the second...piece of roast!!

And, on to the topic now: I was wondering last chapter: Do DF users only get disabled when they stand in Sea water? Or any body of still water?

Cos I thought it was that any body of unmoving water would disable them, due to the Kalifa thing, but since Luffy dropped in on Boa's bath, I've had my doubts.

If he's standing in the water up to his knees, or so, shouldn't his legs buckle?

Not sure. Please enlighten me? Probably they are only affected by actual water form the sea? Or salt water? So probably Kalifa was not disabled and Nami's comment was off? Or...?

Say: where's MarvelB already? Can't start a discussion without the B... *suspense drumroll plays*

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Last edited by holypanl; 2008-10-08 at 08:17.
Old 2008-10-08, 08:26   Link #4
Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
Oh. Goody. Showoff time: I've got the second...piece of roast!!

And, on to the topic now: I was wondering last chapter: Do DF users only get disabled when they stand in Sea water? Or any body of still water?

Cos I thought it was that any body of unmoving water would disable them, due to the Kalifa thing, but since Luffy dropped in on Boa's bath, I've had my doubts.

If he's standing in the water up to his knees, or so, shouldn't his legs buckle?

Not sure. Please enlighten me? Probably they are only affected by actual water form the sea? Or salt water? So probably Kalifa was not disabled and Nami's comment was off? Or...?

Say: where's MarvelB already? Can't start a discussion without the B... *suspense drumroll plays*
Well I doubt that Hancock is bathing in sea water...wouldn't really be good to her skin . Normal water shouldn't have any effect on Devil fruit users...they just can't swim on it... Luffy used Water-luffy mode vs Crocodile at Alabasta succesfully too, so I am confident that Devil fruit users can be completely cowered by water without any negative effect.

Sea water is entirly diffrent thing, I believe that Devil fruit users can touch it and even be cowered bit without major impact... Aokiji pushed his hand under sea and continued to froze sea without issue.

Seastone is compressed and focused materiliazition of sea energy so even small fraction can entirly disable DF powers, but I don't think small drips of Sea water have huge effect, body should be covered more than 30% to Sea water to get nullifying effect.

I am not entirly sure was that water in Crocodiles underground Rainbase HQ sea water or normal water or was it just Seastone bars that nullified Luffys powers, Luffy atleast continued to beat those crocodiles after freed even when he was standing on water over knees.

On chapter topic, I like how its going and I do hope Margaret,Aleaphadra and Sweet-pie aren't dead yet and there is way to undo stoning curse.
Old 2008-10-08, 09:43   Link #5
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Surprised he's captured that easily. Wonder how that happened then.
If you think about it, it's amazing that Boa's Mero Mero didn't work even while she's naked. Unless she covered up before she did that.

Pretty sure the 3 amazons will get de-petrified somehow, not surprised that Luffy gets angry about that (someone doing that to their own nakama always gets him riled up).

Ooo, first page. That's a first for me.
Old 2008-10-08, 09:49   Link #6
marvelB

Y'know what's really funny? The fake spoiler from last week (which involved Margaret turning to stone) turned out to be true after all. Sadly, Sweetpea and Aphelandra share her fate, as well....

I noticed from the spoiler pics that Hancock has an attack where she blows a kiss and shoots it like a gun at Luffy. Looks like her Mero Mero attacks don't just turn people to stone (Luffy mistaking the name for Foxy's "Noro Noro" was quite amusing, IMO). I think this proves that Luffy will still have a tough time against her even if he's unaffected by her petrification power....

Oh, and it looks like Marigold and Sandersonia are both snake-type Zoans. But seeing as Luffy's pretty pissed now, he'll most definitely give those two a good thrashing.

Oh, and it seems we still haven't found out the secret of Hancock's back yet....
Old 2008-10-08, 10:44   Link #7
Darmill

Both sisters transformed themselves into monsters (guess Boa must also have this ability but avoids to use it).

Being surprised by Luffys resistance, Hancocks face expression was just like Enels. Maybe she's easier to handle for Luffy than Sir Crocodile, but we never know.

OP takes a week off, so chapter 519 will first appear in 2 weeks.
Old 2008-10-08, 10:47   Link #8
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Oh, and it looks like Marigold and Sandersonia are both snake-type Zoans.

no two people can have the same Devil Fruit though.
Old 2008-10-08, 10:50   Link #9
ChaosPaladin
Bringer of Order & Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmill View Post
Both sisters transformed themselves into monsters (guess Boa must also have this ability but avoids to use it).

Being surprised by Luffys resistance, Hancocks face expression was just like Enels. Maybe she's easier to handle for Luffy than Sir Crocodile, but we never know.

OP takes a week off, so chapter 519 will first appear in 2 weeks.
argh!!!! a week without one piece!!! tt is so agonising. but if more exciting stuffs follow i won't mind the wait.

u know wat will be an awesome twist? Boa falling in luv with Luffy cos he maybe the only male in the world who can resist her charm and not turn into stone
Old 2008-10-08, 11:01   Link #10
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis View Post
no two people can have the same Devil Fruit though.

Yeah, but it's not like there's only one kind of snake. There're probably different "models" of snake fruits (viper, anaconda, cobra, etc.), like how we've had different "models" of, say, the dog fruit for instance (dacshund, jackal, wolf, etc.).

And I wonder... maybe Hancock's "kiss gun" is a Haki attack? It seemed to be quite effective on Luffy (I think I even saw him bleeding in that one picture...).
Old 2008-10-08, 12:52   Link #11
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Hey you're not thinking enough: You could have something like:

Snake Snake Fruit: Model Python, Cobra, etc

Apart form that, though, I've thought up the possibility of a person only eating a piece of a fruit, and seomone else eatig the rest or something.

Or what if two people bite it at once??

Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;

Then they came for me!

Last edited by holypanl; 2008-10-08 at 13:05.
Old 2008-10-08, 13:28   Link #12
marvelB

Two or more people with the same DF power would just be plain cheap, ESPECIALLY if it's a Logia power. In fact, I can't help but think that it would force Oda to come up with a rushed, broken method of dealing with them, since 2 or 3 people with the same Logia ability would be pretty much unstoppable, even if it turns out that they CAN be damaged with Haki. It actually makes me think of the final battle in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 5, where the main character obtains an incredibly broken power-up for his Stand because the main villain's Stand was practically invincible....
Old 2008-10-08, 13:48   Link #13
Rainbowman

Quote:
Y'know what's really funny? The fake spoiler from last week (which involved Margaret turning to stone) turned out to be true after all. Sadly, Sweetpea and Aphelandra share her fate, as well....
I can't believe that spoiler happened to be true. And the fact that Sweetpea and Aphelandra share her fate made it worse. (crying mews) I hope there's a way to reverse the effects.

Quote:
I noticed from the spoiler pics that Hancock has an attack where she blows a kiss and shoots it like a gun at Luffy. Looks like her Mero Mero attacks don't just turn people to stone (Luffy mistaking the name for Foxy's "Noro Noro" was quite amusing, IMO). I think this proves that Luffy will still have a tough time against her even if he's unaffected by her petrification power....
LOL I can't believe Luffy doesn't know how to tell his Devil Fruits apart, confusing Mero Mero for Noro Noro.

Quote:
Oh, and it looks like Marigold and Sandersonia are both snake-type Zoans. But seeing as Luffy's pretty pissed now, he'll most definitely give those two a good thrashing.
Think we can see pics of the sisters for proof of their powers?

Quote:
Oh, and it seems we still haven't found out the secret of Hancock's back yet....
Just a joke here, but I hope she doesn't have backne. That can be REALLY ugly especially for her. <BLEAGH!
Old 2008-10-08, 13:56   Link #14
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Actually it makes sense if Boa's back is just plain ugly.

Boa being extremely proud and arrogant because of her beauty, will hate it if people she's that she has an ugly back.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-10-08, 13:59   Link #15
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

I wanna know what Happened to Shaks after WB vs Shanks.

That's something that's been bothering me for a while.

Then they came for me!
Old 2008-10-08, 14:11   Link #16
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
I wanna know what Happened to Shaks after WB vs Shanks.
i don't think that has started yet. the battle between the Schibukia and WB has yet to take place.
Old 2008-10-08, 14:36   Link #17
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

lol so Boa makes a face kinda like when Eniel finds his attacks don't work against Luffy. He really is just their natural enemy
Old 2008-10-08, 14:41   Link #18
Darmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosPaladin View Post
u know wat will be an awesome twist? Boa falling in luv with Luffy cos he maybe the only male in the world who can resist her charm and not turn into stone
If that's the case, Luffy would simply pound her away cause she's not only ugly inside but also has an ugly back...

In the last chapter, the old amazon leader got a newspaper. We'll probably see her again in 519 where she's reading the paper with Luffy in the headline.
Old 2008-10-08, 16:51   Link #19
sanzo
33million Humming Brook

so after hes done with boa that will be 3 shichibukia hes defeated. damn luffy.

p.s. bonta kun that a rather....provacitive picture. lol
Old 2008-10-08, 17:04   Link #20
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Saw some of the spoiler pics... The 3 sisters are really surprised when Boa's ability fails to petrify Luffy. Luffy's confused too cause he has no idea what she tried to do, funny panel with lots of questionmarks.

Still wondering how he got recaptured though. Maybe he tried not to hurt anyone so they got a chance to grab him...

Zoans vs Luffy might be interesting.
Closed Thread