AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

Old 2006-04-18, 00:32   Link #161
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I ran うたわれるもの through babelfish and got "Those which are sung" ... kind of poetic sounding but then we know how often Babelfish comes off more like those psychotic AI that used to be popular in the 80s.

Anyone have a better interpretation? (as he reaches for the dictionary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friera
Oh, I can't wait for the next episode. The dude there looks pretty interesting whoever he might be. ^^

And I really can't understand you boys. They are cute and whatever, but still. no need to drool all over the place.
A term one might use is "xenophyllic" (love of the alien/foreign/exotic). Beings with alien features appear attractive to some people. In a very mild sense, being attracted to someone that looks different qualifies.

If you remember Riker from Star Trek:Next Generation.. I-swear-to-the-gods he'd bop anything at all if he thought it was sentient and he could have a conversation with her afterwards. He was an extreme xenophillic.

I love the way Ururu's ears move

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-04-18 at 00:58.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 01:36   Link #162
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
There are two interpretations of Utawarerumono that somewhat make sense with the game. The first interpretation, "The Exalted One," is the literal one the game gives you at the start of the final battle and thus I'm not going to spoil you with the reasoning behind it. The second interpretation is that utawarerumono is also the word in Japanese used to describe the mythology/folktales/legends passed down orally through the Ainu people via songs and poems. In Ainugo, these are called yukar. The other way the Ainu people pass down their stories is through prose, called katararerumono in Japanese.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 03:58   Link #163
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
A term one might use is "xenophyllic" (love of the alien/foreign/exotic). Beings with alien features appear attractive to some people. In a very mild sense, being attracted to someone that looks different qualifies.

If you remember Riker from Star Trek:Next Generation.. I-swear-to-the-gods he'd bop anything at all if he thought it was sentient and he could have a conversation with her afterwards. He was an extreme xenophillic.
Now I know why Data's cat hates him so much. ... Not that he's nuts. Just that the counselor gave up translating for him.

Quote:
I love the way Ururu's ears move
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls, some pages back
Cute, yes. Maybe even sexy to some.

/But anything more, then the Lt. Commander will have to stun you.

Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 05:35   Link #164
solwyvern
▲wight
*Graphic Designer

yay, Gendou has the TV size opening. sounds really great.
Old 2006-04-18, 07:41   Link #165
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by solwyvern
yay, Gendou has the TV size opening. sounds really great.
Hmmm... don't know if anyone notices it, but the OP and ED versions from G have some stuttering static in the background.. Does anyone have the same problem? The static doesn't occur in the version of the OP i recorded off vlc.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 07:41   Link #166
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
Cute, yes. Maybe even sexy to some.
I demand the next episode has more tail-grabbing, otherwise I will go on an UtaMono strike!

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 07:54   Link #167
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara
I demand the next episode has more tail-grabbing
But, but.... Eruruu doesn't like it. ;_;
Old 2006-04-18, 08:01   Link #168
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
Oh no. I think she does. Most definitely yes. She does.

Old 2006-04-18, 08:07   Link #169
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Oh no. I think she does. Most definitely yes. She does.

In some ways yeah, but you know she'd only want one person doing it.
Old 2006-04-18, 08:10   Link #170
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
Well, you could think this way...

I just melt away when someone messes with my hair. But again, it's like you said, depends on the person.

I guess Eruruu feels that way. Although it's a bit embarassing to have someone touch you (hair, tail, whatever), it's still pretty pleasing.

If you ask me, I could make my dog go from a complete stressed state to an almost-sleeping one just by scratching her back at the base of her tail. She'd just melt on the ground and lie there quietly Wonder if Eruruu is like that after she gets used to your hands

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 08:19   Link #171
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
In some ways yeah, but you know she'd only want one person doing it.
A fanboy can only dream....

Okay this is getting sick. But serious question - does anyone know whats the age relation between Eruruu and the masked guy? (sorry cant find his name)

edit: ah would it be Hakuoro?

edit 2: Personally I think that Eruruu looks way younger than Hakuoro, that was the impression I got when I first saw them together. In human years, my guess is that Eruruu is 17-18 and Hakuoro would be 25-30..

Last edited by Lost; 2006-04-18 at 08:35.
Old 2006-04-18, 11:24   Link #172
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's probably a fair guess (at least observing the behavior of the tribe to her and her relationships with various people). She's definitely considered "ready for marriage" given the way the jerk tried to haul her off in ep 1 and the "wink wink nudge nudge" remarks from the wife of the axeman (whose name eludes me at the moment). His age is indeterminate but early 20s might be a fair estimate (I doubt the jerk is more than 19 or 20).

In the setting we're observing - all perfectly legit for a relationship.... though Eruru and H. seem to shift back and forth tween father/daughter and couple in terms of psychological feel. And, of course, having someone you trust stroke your back makes happy purrs from almost any mammal including humanoids
Old 2006-04-18, 11:29   Link #173
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
edit 2: Personally I think that Eruruu looks way younger than Hakuoro, that was the impression I got when I first saw them together. In human years, my guess is that Eruruu is 17-18 and Hakuoro would be 25-30..
Thats whaty i guess there age to be around as well. And in fedul times or even a hundred years ago, 10 years difference isn't really that much of difference between husband and wife.
Old 2006-04-18, 12:01   Link #174
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually, all you youngins are just being age spastic ... 10 years difference in age NOW in the present day is not really a big deal (between a 20yr old and 30yr old for example). I have a cousin who married someone 12 yrs older ... they both have the same hobbies (skiing, dancing, music tastes, etc).
Old 2006-04-18, 12:03   Link #175
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
Thats whaty i guess there age to be around as well. And in fedul times or even a hundred years ago, 10 years difference isn't really that much of difference between husband and wife.
Really, it's not much of a difference now. Noted, but hardly unusual. And it was fairly common until post-WWII.

I think Erururu is cute, but I don't think it has anything to do with her tail or the ears or whatever. Her expressions are cute (though her ears/tail do seem to make her more expressive). It's not that she has a tail, it's that she makes a cute little sound and blushes when it's stroked.

Similarly, the bunny costume girl from Suzumiya Haruhi makes a cute hiccup-y/sob/squeak sound when Haruhi offers to let Kyon feel her up. It's not that she's attractive precisely, but more that she's cute and makes you want to scoop her up and protect her from bad people.

Quote:
Actually, all you youngins are just being age spastic ... 10 years difference in age NOW in the present day is not really a big deal (between a 20yr old and 30yr old for example). I have a cousin who married someone 12 yrs older ... they both have the same hobbies (skiing, dancing, music tastes, etc).
That's a good point. 10 years seems significantly longer when you're twenty (say) than when you're thirty or forty or whatever. My wife is three years older than I am. When we got married (and I was 21) that seemed like a lot. Now that I'm 30, I don't even really notice.
Old 2006-04-18, 12:09   Link #176
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Legal age for the girls aside. The next ep looks like things will start to get intresting. Looks like the start of the rebellion and the gathering of his harem has already started.
Old 2006-04-18, 12:48   Link #177
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
... It's not that she's attractive precisely, but more that she's cute and makes you want to scoop her up and protect her from bad people.
quoted for great truth and applies to both Eruruu and Mikuru of Haruhi.

yeah... humans lost a lot of expressiveness when our ears and tail got so vestigal.
Old 2006-04-18, 12:52   Link #178
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
quoted for great truth and applies to both Eruruu and Mikuru of Haruhi.

yeah... humans lost a lot of expressiveness when our ears and tail got so vestigal.

Have you been looking at my tail again????
Old 2006-04-18, 13:13   Link #179
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sorry, I confine my ear and tail observations to the female variety....

edit:
Completely different subject: has anyone seen any merchandise for this show? Something tells me these characters would make really cute figurines (either the male or the females .... being able to snare a nice set of Hakuroro and Ururuu would be stellar.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-04-18 at 21:48.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 22:10   Link #180
KJlost

Spoiler:
KJlost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, aquaplus, bishoujo, kemonomimi, leaf, olm, rpg