Notices

Old 2007-12-06, 17:07   Link #261
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Ahem...? It doesn't need a plot! It's part of the genre's charm
The classmates interacting with each other is all the plot we need anyway.
Old 2007-12-07, 16:18   Link #262
Hammy
slice of life otaku

just started watching this a few days ago--cant explain exactly why, but theres something special about Sketchbook that makes it so great.
definately one of my all-time favorite animes, right up there with Lucky Star and Hidamari Sketch
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 16:36   Link #263
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I'll be sad when this series ends.
Ah, but then there's the OVA to look forward to.
Of course, it would be an unforgivable crime if there is no OVA. When I was watching Aria - The Arietta, I kept thinking about how great Sketchbook will look when Hal Film can devote more time on it. (As if it isn't good enough already.)
Telliamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 15:18   Link #264
Midonin
Last Engage

Let me say this to start: Watching an episode about studying on a day when you actually have a test is an unusual experience. I don't think I'd take studying advice from any of Sora's classmates though - but if Juju were to play a few more songs, I wouldn't mind.

Episode 9 was the usual Sketchbook goodness, with lots of Kate. Her Japanese is hilarious - I can't remember a character who made me laugh every time they spoke. Both times Asaka messed with Negishi's eraser were great, as was Negishi's...study method.

On a different note, ever since the show switched the winter uniforms (last episode, I think), the atmosphere's a little different. Everyone looks so professional, even Sora. I preferred the casual-yet-pro summer uniforms, but the jackets look nice too.

Such a good show.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 16:23   Link #265
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
just started watching this a few days ago--cant explain exactly why, but theres something special about Sketchbook that makes it so great.
definately one of my all-time favorite animes, right up there with Lucky Star and Hidamari Sketch
I'll just say that I love all three of the series you mentioned. Lucky Star, Sketchbook, and Hidamari Sketch are very enjoyable series. As for why Sketchbook is special, I'd theorize it's because one can be relaxed while watching it. Beyond that I'm not sure I can put it in words myself.
Old 2007-12-10, 19:56   Link #266
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Spoiler for Episode 11:
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 23:32   Link #267
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wants: more Ao and Kate. There's something oddly moving about the siblings short scenes together and as for Kate, well - her VA is a comidienne par excellence. Every time she opens her mouth I dissolve into fits of helpless laughter. I have to pause and watch the really good monologues again.

9 was really great - a lovely discourse on studying with (as usual) no plot whatsoever but more than the usual amount of big laughs and lovely moments.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 23:34   Link #268
Midonin
Last Engage

Not just studying. It was a nice look into the world of tongue twisters too. The best being Kate attempting a Level 3 and dissolving into a storm of gibberish.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 00:27   Link #269
zoot

Sora's quiet scenes remind me a lot of Bincho-tan, especially the first episode.
zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 19:19   Link #270
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

"Red is tomato!"
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 07:52   Link #271
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 9

Hal Film Maker have just mastered the art of the insert song (step one: use good music).

While watching this ep, I was thinking about how I'd compare this with Lucky Star. One is miles ahead of the other, IMO. With Lucky Star, it always felt as if they were forcing the moe down your throat. The characters are just genuinely cute in this, so it feels way more natural. Needless to say which I prefer.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 22:29   Link #272
Dhee

Episode 9 was nice because each charcter had their own small amount of screen time and we learned a little bit from each of them. I especially like when Hazuki glued her pencil, rendering it useless. The music in this show is something that makes it's special, too.
Dhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 01:09   Link #273
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
While watching this ep, I was thinking about how I'd compare this with Lucky Star. One is miles ahead of the other, IMO. With Lucky Star, it always felt as if they were forcing the moe down your throat. The characters are just genuinely cute in this, so it feels way more natural. Needless to say which I prefer.
Granted I did enjoy Lucky Star because it was "fun" to watch, but I can see what you mean about the characters in Sketchbook being more natural. Heck it's the natural aspect that's probably one of the major appeals to shows like Sketchbook. As for which I prefer? Right now I'd probably give the edge to Sketchbook.
Old 2007-12-13, 02:09   Link #274
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Much as I love the Lucky*Star characters..... (and this is probably a terrible analogy) its kind of like comparing a Camaro to a Porsche. .... its almost a non-sequitur because they were designed with different intent.

Lucky*Star is great fun but Sketchbook is beauty and art.... I don't regret the money I've spent and am going to spend on L*S by any means though.
Old 2007-12-13, 19:11   Link #275
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhee View Post
I especially like when Hazuki glued her pencil, rendering it useless. The music in this show is something that makes it's special, too.
She wasn't that far off-base, really. Most pencil lead is ground graphite held together with clay and a bit of glue. And back when solid graphite was used, it was common for pencils to be constructed from multiple pieces. I think there was even a patent filed for doing what Hazuki did. Granted, this was for wood-encased pencils so they didn't have the problem of the glue jamming like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Razajev View Post
I'll just say that I love all three of the series you mentioned. Lucky Star, Sketchbook, and Hidamari Sketch are very enjoyable series. As for why Sketchbook is special, I'd theorize it's because one can be relaxed while watching it. Beyond that I'm not sure I can put it in words myself.
I feel that Sketchbook is more respectful of its characters. The other shows would often make jokes at the expense of Konata or Miyu, and it didn't matter how bad they looked, as long as it was funny. The humor in Sketchbook is never insulting.

Also, like Midonin pointed out, the clothing is much more flattering than the absurdly short skirts in other shows.
Telliamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 19:29   Link #276
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
I feel that Sketchbook is more respectful of its characters. The other shows would often make jokes at the expense of Konata or Miyu, and it didn't matter how bad they looked, as long as it was funny. The humor in Sketchbook is never insulting.
Who's Miyu supposed to be? If you actually mean Miyako from Hidamari Sketch, I never really felt the show was insulting her. Then again I guess I viewed her more as a free spirit than anything else. As for Konata, I can concede that at least sometimes she did come off more as a vehicle than a character. Simply because her otaku nature made it easy for her to get into <insert show here>. Still even so Konata isn't completely empty for lack of a better term as she does have her moments. Just that sometimes the drawback to being a parody show at least in part is the parody aspect can over shadow the cast in some regards.
Old 2007-12-13, 19:37   Link #277
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Razajev View Post
Who's Miyu supposed to be?
Miyuki, the pink-haired meganekko.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 20:55   Link #278
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Miyuki, the pink-haired meganekko.
Oh yeah her. Now I feel kind of silly that seeing the name Miyu made me think of Miyako from Hidamari Sketch instead of making me think about Miyuki from Lucky Star. I guess maybe Miyuki never made much of an impression on me. Either way from Lucky Star it's ultimately Misao that I'm most partial to.
Old 2007-12-14, 01:29   Link #279
cpxmay
Gensokyo Adventurer

Spoiler for Episode 11:

There's only 13 episodes for this show?
Old 2007-12-14, 02:39   Link #280
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I wish Sketchbook, ef and Minami-ke got the full 26 episode billing. Too many great shows ending so quickly. I know it's for the best, but I'm just left craving for more. The end of the year will be pretty sad with a lot of these great shows ending. I know everybody will become pessimistic again until the next huge wave of great shows blows people away yet again.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, hal, school life, seinen, slice of life