AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-25, 21:15   Link #1
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Priest: warning, strong religious themes

Has anyone else been reading this great manga. Father Ivan Issacs is one awsome character. But what gets me is the storyline and how all those priests lost faith and have turned against God. This series has a bright future ahead imo. Let me hear your comments, as you might know more about this series than i do, i have only read vol 1-8 so and i am going to be reading 9-10 soon.
Old 2003-12-26, 21:01   Link #2
Muraki
Dreamer

Well the art is ... poor ... and for some reason it reminds me of NGE o.O and there is way to many unnecesary scenes of blood ~_~ but otherwise the series is okay...
Old 2003-12-28, 00:28   Link #3
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Is this series licensed or scanlated?
I remember that I have read the first volume in japanese some time ago and it was not bad at all...

Muraki : what in this series remind you NGE?
Old 2003-12-28, 15:33   Link #4
Xiandu

The series is licensed, i have vol 1-10, gonna read 9&10 soon. As far as scanlations, i have no idea if there is any. At least i haven't seen any.

And yes i too wonder about the NGE comparison.

I think the art is so so at the beginning but it does pick up. The series is very violent, but it does have a deep story too, very deep in fact. It is one of the most engrossing manga's i have ever read, makes me wonder how much was cut out since it deals with religion so much. Everybody knows that mangas get edited all the time for content here in America.
Old 2003-12-28, 16:08   Link #5
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
I bought the first two volumes (I can't do better, it's a recent series here), And I have to say that it kicks.

I love the contrast and the rough style of the drawings. And I love the story, even its its still folded like a xmass present.

I'm really looking forward to it.

P.S: Correction, it's not a "manga" it's a "manwha" or however you spell it, the author is Korean.
Old 2003-12-29, 01:09   Link #6
Xiandu

Yes, i forgot that, so use to reading manga, that i completely spaced that the author is korean. You already really like it after 2 vol. just like i did. Be ready though, it gets really deep and disturbing in some places, but that is why i like it so much. Not enough manga, anime, or manwha make you really sit there and think about what you just watched/read.

Muraki, give the story a few more volumes worth, a good friend of mine didn't like the manwha at first for the same reasons you did, and he kept reading it at the urge of me and some other friends and now he likes it as much as we do.
Old 2003-12-29, 02:59   Link #7
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiandu
You already really like it after 2 vol. just like i did. Be ready though, it gets really deep and disturbing in some places, but that is why i like it so much.
Nothing disturbs me, so I guess its ok.
Old 2004-06-30, 04:41   Link #8
ClancyDamon
クラシー デマン

Send a message via AIM to ClancyDamon
Priest

Who's reading this one? It's freakin' brilliant! I've only read the seven or eight volumes so far, but this is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I expected something like Trigun, with gallons more blood and infinitely less story. Got the blood right, but the stories incredible! It's got the whole Dogma thing going on. That said, anyone religious should stay away (you'll just upset yourself); anyone else, try this one if you're looking for something depressing with LOTS of historically innaccurate action.
Old 2004-06-30, 10:40   Link #9
Kenchii
bleeding for sanity

Send a message via AIM to Kenchii
*checks it out* http://www.tokyopop.com/dbpage.php?p...tegorycode=BMG interesting...
Old 2004-06-30, 12:10   Link #10
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Yep, it is a very good comic series. -_-

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2006-04-23, 21:46   Link #11
hossman5280

Priest releases.

Does anyone know what the hell happened to the Priest manga, released by Tokyopop?

I have up to volume 14, then all of a sudden Tokyopop just stopped releasing it.

They definitly left me hanging :[

Sooo, does anyone know where I could find a place to download the rest of the Priest volumes?

I dont care if they have really crappy translating, but i have to find out what happens.

Thanks a bunch :]
Old 2006-04-24, 00:58   Link #12
guyverfanboy

We won't get it til November 13, 2007.
Old 2006-06-15, 14:29   Link #13
Zea
***** Eater

Red face Priest Manga

Hello there. Hmm, I bet some of you heard of the manga, or better said, manwha, Priest. It's awesome, atleast I think it is. I've got them all, except for one and two.

<edit by Mod (xris): Priest is licensed, so you may not ask for scans or downloads, please read our forum rules!>

Thanks in advance. ^~^

Sorry, nevermind. I didn't even KNOW it was licensed, gosh I'm a dork. XD

Last edited by Zea; 2006-06-15 at 14:51.
Old 2006-09-23, 13:45   Link #14
Electroguy
An Undisclosed Liability

I've got up to 9.

Its a good dark manga, quite different from the usual art styles and approaches.

I dont see how its similar to NGE in anyway but w/e.

Definately worth buying it. ^_^
Old 2006-09-23, 13:47   Link #15
Samourai
Le samouraļ est le illest

Send a message via AIM to Samourai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muraki
Well the art is ... poor ... and for some reason it reminds me of NGE o.O and there is way to many unnecesary scenes of blood ~_~ but otherwise the series is okay...

you seem very biased then.
Old 2008-01-03, 15:00   Link #16
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I just heard about this series and picked it up last week for those of you who dont know here is a quick summary from Wiki . Its also an Manhwa ( Korean Comic ) by Min-Woo Hyung.

Quote:
Priest tells the story of humanity's battle against 12 fallen angels, led by the archangel Temozarela. Despite having fought for God in the battle against Lucifer, Temozarela and his cohorts shortly thereafter find that God had lost interest in them. Upon finding God has focused his attention on humans they decide to rebel against God in light of God's favoritism towards the human race. They descend upon Earth to 'play God' among the humans who build a temple and statues for them. For their rebellion and acts against humanity, God destroyed their temple and their statues were cast underground, with their souls being trapped within the statues.

It was centuries later that a Holy Knight called Vascar De Gullion, a killer of heretics in the name of God, found Temozarela. After his wife and children were burned alive, Vascar De Gullion 'loses faith' and wanders the earth in a 'blood rage,' leaving a wake of slaughter wherever he goes. His journey comes to an end when he discovers a hidden cave with the statues of the 12 fallen angels. Temozarela talks Vascar De Gullion into giving his body to him in the hopes of gaining revenge on God.

It is again centuries later that Vascar De Gullion is found alive and sentenced to be judged as a Heretic by Betheal, a powerful priest. Upon dealing with Vascar De Gullion, Betheal discovers from Vascar De Gullion that he is not who he is meant to be, but rather Temozarela. Temozarela plays with Betheal's only pride and joy in life, a child he saved from a heretic sacrifice. The fallen angel manipulates the child into brutally slaughtering a young woman, taking her arms and heart, and setting up a blasphemous ritual room with her blood. Once Betheal sees what his child had done, he instead sees Temozarela laughing and ends up killing the child with his own hands. Betheal loses faith in God also and Temozarela takes Betheal under his wing as one of his disciples. Instead of turning in favor of Temozarela, Betheal acts as the Judas in this story, betraying Temozarela. Betheal devotes his life to study a way to trap Temozarela so that people can be free from him. This came in heretic invention of the Domas Porada. Betheals body is needed to be the key in keeping the lock on this 'cage' locked. With his soul trapped inside the Domas Porada, Betheal enters a new life altogether with the power he gained from turning away from God. He is a now a kind of demon, called Belial.

Ivan Isaacs, the hero, is called upon to solve the puzzle that the Domas Porada presents. Upon solving it Ivan is cast onto a cross after witnessing his only love, Gena, die in his arms. It is then that Belial takes Ivan, who in the madness of losing Gena denounces God. Ivan is reborn as an immortal serving Belial. Because of Gena's death Ivan devotes himself for vengeance against Temozarela and his men.

The Priest story spans three distinct time periods; modern times, the Crusades and the Wild West, although it is primarily focused on the last period. Whilst featuring a large cast of heroes, anti-heroes and villains, a number of which enjoying in depth and detailed character development within the plot, the lead antagonist of Priest is Temozarela, whilst the main protagonist is Ivan Isaacs, a now immortal, 19th century priest who sold his soul to Belial, a former priest turned devil, in the pursuit of revenge and redemption after unwittingly unleashing Temozarela from the Domas Porada, a prison of sorts constructed by Belial (then Betheal) to imprison Temozarela.
Old 2008-01-05, 05:11   Link #17
tbl
Affably Evil

I heard this is being made into a Hollywood movie.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-01-05, 10:21   Link #18
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Yes and No Priest Fans hated the script esp the subsequent changes which reduced this movie to any Vampire Movie standard . The movie is shelved for now and thats come as a relief to Priest Fans

Wiki Article :

Quote:
Priest was going into production as a movie by U.S. film studio Screen Gems. To be released in 2008, it was going to be produced by Sam Raimi (SpiderMan) , directed by Andrew Douglas, and would star Gerard Butler (300) as the title character.

However recent news has reported that both Butler and Raimi have dropped out of the project leaving the future of the film adaption of Priest unknown. Many fans of the manhwa are actually pleased about this, as the information released on the movie indicated that the story had been changed to a degree that it was unrecognizable, and had become more of a standard vampire hunter movie. .Many hope that it can now be resurrected but with a new script that actually makes some use of the original story ideas.
More than a Live Adaptation I would like see a Full Fledged Anime . Same goes for the other Korean Manhwa I read Shin Angyo Onshi (Clicky)
Old 2008-01-07, 05:30   Link #19
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

yep, instead of a 2 hour movie. a 26(or even 52) episode anime series would do justice to the great story that is Priest
Closed Thread