AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 10
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 114 53.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 48 22.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 26 12.15%
7 out of 10 : Good... 10 4.67%
6 out of 10 : Average... 7 3.27%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 1.40%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.47%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 4 1.87%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-08, 23:24   Link #161
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
Heathcliff used the brain burst program
Physical Burstooo!!!
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 23:28   Link #162
Znail

Also, the entire reason behind making death real in the game was to make it more like a real world. Thus having real sex makes perfect sense.

As for the Asuna development, so while they could have fleshed it out so is it still pretty clear if you look back at the earlier episodes. The main point is that while we do have have progress made during the time skipps, so are the main changes to Asuna's character done in the episodes. We have Asuna previous episode pretty arbitrary without asking for kirito's oppinion deciding that they should spend some time together, but this actually started already at the end of the Murder arc episode, with her deciding that they should have dinner together. You just have to draw the logical conclusion that during the time that passed in between those so was there more of the same.

This show is rather extreme case of only show not tell. The upside is that the plot will progress quickly with no need for lenghty explenations about everything. The downside is that you have to accept what is shown as reallity on faith alone.
Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:

[edit]I didn't consider that an actually spoiler as it doesn't reveal anything at all.

Last edited by Znail; 2012-09-09 at 00:26.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 23:38   Link #163
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I admit all the deleted posts in the beginning were the most entertaining part of this thread.
How can I apply to get my Saturday back? Even after I left the house I was constantly moderating posts in the thread (as much as you can do on a smartphone). I don't even know anymore... *sigh*

Hint to Novel Readers: If you're comparing stuff that happened in the anime to how it happened in the novels, use a spoiler tag that explains it's a comparison to the novel to what was shown! If it's something that didn't happen in the anime and may well happen latter, don't discuss it here at all! This is all clearly explained in the Spoiler Policy thread that's been there for weeks now, and hasn't changed!
Old 2012-09-08, 23:38   Link #164
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Talk about feeding shippers to the max. I can see why a lot of people simply loved this episode .

Kirito gets pwned by Heathcleef in a duel, Asuna goes Unlimited Blade Works on Kuradeel and then the implied notion that the two had sex (lol @ Virtual Reality sex) and now they are gonna get married. Talk about a packed episode both in terms of action and in the romance department. A bit too packed I would say...

Going back to the Heathcleef fight again, I must be spoilt on Fate/Zero or something because it was pretty awkwardly animated. Lots of jarring frames and the majority of the fight composed of going Kirito going berserk on Heathcleef's shield. Can't help but judge it really.

Also that scene with Asuna stripping to her undergarments. I must admit it was pretty cute... until she went full out tsundere mode on Kirito because he acted like an idiot in that scene. Talk about mega cliche . Oh well, it's implied the two got laid so I guess that's a +1 lawl.

Anyways, pretty solid episode. It's amazing how SAO got a lot better since it stopped being Side Arcs Online and started on the main plot.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 23:48   Link #165
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
you know what after this episode I'm surprised no one made any Shining Finger jokes...
Of course not. Kirito clearly went for the chest instead of the head, that's God Finger right there.

Asuna, on the other hand...
Old 2012-09-08, 23:51   Link #166
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

The game made the paralysis status effect almost unfairly effective. First there was that tanker who was taken by paralysis arrow or something, now Kirito and the Godfred guy.

I like this episode overall, even though the pace was lightning fast. We go from Kirito challenging the Heathcliff to joining the guild to the assassination attempts and to leaving the guild a bit too fast.

Best part is the Kirito and Asuna's interaction at the end. It was really fun but like the rest of the episode, feel rushed
Old 2012-09-08, 23:56   Link #167
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Did Kirito actually get owned by Heathcliff? I thought the whole moment there as Heathcliff somehow managed to almost freeze time, for lack of a better word, was going to be further explored, as it seemed to insinuate that Heathcliff's seemingly invulnerable defense may have nothing to do with his unique skill. In fact, it seemed Heathcliff's great defensive skills was actually not a match to Kirito's offensive power, until that hitch in time occurred.

The conspiracy theorist in me smells something fishy!
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 23:57   Link #168
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmos View Post
Two, proposing after one night with a girl. Then again she saved him and he proposed afterward anyways and she accepted. Can't shake the feeling it's because of his first lay though.
Well, keep in mind that marriage in the game (as was defined in the Murder Mystery arc) means sharing your inventory and all your items. So I think it's more a sign of absolute trust than necessarily "'till death do us part". Of course, in this game, death could part them any day, so I guess it's sort of the same. In the end, it's not like she hadn't been dropping plenty of hints over their encounters that marriage is something she's interested in (what did she say? "Romantic and Pragamatic?" ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
I like this episode overall, even though the pace was lightning fast. We go from Kirito challenging the Heathcliff to joining the guild to the assassination attempts and to leaving the guild a bit too fast.
I don't think they necessarily said that they were leaving the guild, though they talked about getting away. I guess we'll find out later.
Old 2012-09-09, 00:01   Link #169
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Did Kirito actually get owned by Heathcliff? I thought the whole moment there as Heathcliff somehow managed to almost freeze time, for lack of a better word, was going to be further explored, as it seemed to insinuate that Heathcliff's seemingly invulnerable defense may have nothing to do with his unique skill. In fact, it seemed Heathcliff's great defensive skills was actually not a match to Kirito's offensive power, until that hitch in time occurred.

The conspiracy theorist in me smells something fishy!
I smell something fishy too. Am I suddenly watching Emiya from F/Z here with his time manipulation abilities?
Old 2012-09-09, 00:01   Link #170
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Also, let's not forget that it's been two years. Kirito was impressed with Asuna from the get go. I'd say this is hardly sudden. It's probably been a slow burn, in terms of feelings, for both of them, especially with the amount of time they weren't together.

There's probably a mountain of novels that deal with a romance that had its seed start prior to the two lovers living separate lives, before finally realizing that love down the road. SAO may not have concentrated much on that aspect, but I think it still fits the mold.

Edit: While Kirito, as a character has some issues, I am overjoyed at a young male protagonist in anime who is able to just lay it out there like he did. That type of behavior by a young male in anime is pretty much unheard of these days.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-09-09, 00:02   Link #171
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't think they necessarily said that they were leaving the guild, though they talked about getting away. I guess we'll find out later.
The subs I watched had her ask if they could take time off from the front lines, not leave the guild.

Last edited by Rising Dragon; 2012-09-09 at 00:02. Reason: Christ, every time I try to post you people put in two to three new posts in the meantime.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 00:02   Link #172
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Episode 10

Hahaha...Why does it seems that everything was moving so fast? As if it was rush.

Ok, it's the first time I seen Kirito with that face... the face of disperation in a duel that is... He should awesome moves but Heathcliff just ignores them... Hah! After he , defeated him, Kirito was just left there sitting in the ground... but I see no react from him... nor a "damn, I lost"...

Wow, Kuradeel is one big BAst***, he looks worst than the last time... Now I seen another frightening Asuna... She's a winner!!! Kuradeel was dog food there... But due to Asuna's kindness, Kirito has to kill again...

The Night Scene... Asuna-Chan? It's just a few seconds and you're undressing at once!!! Wait for the food to settle... I might throw up!!! The scene was so funny...!!!

Well, I'll rate is Good... for the development but the transition was so fast... if not quite obvious...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 00:04   Link #173
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well, abrupt is the best way to describe this... that said, character development was still done well, and the story has moved forward. it seems like they're nearing some sort of "end" soon, is this show really 2 cour?

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 00:04   Link #174
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
The game made the paralysis status effect almost unfairly effective. First there was that tanker who was taken by paralysis arrow or something, now Kirito and the Godfred guy.
Paralysis is already quite the game breaker on some games (Elder Scrolls come to mind ). Though to compensate, it takes ridiculous amount of mp/gold/whatever resources to make the target stay paralyzed for each additional seconds.
Old 2012-09-09, 00:05   Link #175
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
well, abrupt is the best way to describe this... that said, character development was still done well, and the story has moved forward. it seems like they're nearing some sort of "end" soon, is this show really 2 cour?
Yes, the show is slated for 25 episodes (with perhaps a 26th on the last Blu-Ray/DVD).
Old 2012-09-09, 00:07   Link #176
Divini
Senpai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Paralysis is already quite the game breaker on some games (Elder Scrolls come to mind ). Though to compensate, it takes ridiculous amount of mp/gold/whatever resources to make the target stay paralyzed for each additional seconds.
I'd also assume it's far more effective having someone DRINK THE FRESH NON-DILUTED POISON STRAIGHT rather than the usual "applying on a weapon and getting a flesh wound in".
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 00:08   Link #177
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yes, the show is slated for 25 episodes (with perhaps a 26th on the last Blu-Ray/DVD).
that's good to know, but i wonder how much more they can expand into this game. he's already level 95, they're nearing the end, and what appears to be the final boss character (come on, you can't possibly miss that flag..) has maybe made an appearance.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 00:08   Link #178
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
So now the truth can be told -- this episode contains the one scene every novel reader wanted to see. No, not the duel with Heathcliff. And not Asuna doing Unlimited Bladework with a single sword.

No, the truth is, novel readers are just a bunch of shippers who wanted to see Kirito and Asuna get married. Who cares that Heathcliff pwned Kirito -- Heathcliff sleeps alone in his bed tonight while Kirito is unleashing two years worth of ... something.

Boss fights are cool, but Asuna knocking Kirito out and dragging him to bed is better.
Well, I guess I'm at odds with novel readers then, since for me the definite highlights of this episode was the duel and the whole bit with Kuradeel (great plot twist with him, by the way - I liked him a lot better as a cackling theatrical villain than as this super-strict, overly protective and paranoid guy).

Honestly, the romance part, while nice in some ways, also felt extremely rushed to me (I'd even say "tacked on" except it's too important to call it "tacked on").

But the awesomeness of the duel and the Asuna rescuing Kirito bit largely made up for it for me, hence why I rate this episode 9/10. I'm very glad that Kirito lost the duel and over how Asuna rescued Kirito this time. Kirito was bordering on a Gary Stu before this episode, but this episode has now effectively laid to rest such criticisms of his character. Heathcliff's character was very nicely fleshed out here too.

However, I feel like I just watched the highlights of two consecutive anime episodes. I think that the duel, the Kuradeel bit, and Kirito getting used to being in a guild again (even with a new look) should have had its own episode, and that the romance consummation should have had its own episode too. Mind you, it's possible that the novels themselves are similarly rushed, so this may not be a flaw with the adaptation (note to novel readers - Don't tell me what the case is on that here on this thread because it would be a spoiler, but I'm open to any PMs that people want to send on the topic).

The extremely rushed aspect is my only significant complaint about this episode (I have a couple other minor nitpicks, but nothing substantive), as I thought the first half or so of it was just fantastic. This is probably my favorite SAO episode yet.
Old 2012-09-09, 00:10   Link #179
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
I smell something fishy too. Am I suddenly watching Emiya from F/Z here with his time manipulation abilities?
My first thought was that the creator of the game isn't quite being as hands off as it may seem, though then I calmed down and thought about how weird it would be that the creator would care enough to intervene. Then, my second thought was that Heathcliff is actually the creator of the game. Then, I decided, that's probably too out there.

Regardless, Heathcliff's smile in that moment should tell us all we need to know about him. I've watched enough anime to know that that wasn't the smile of a good guy. Nevermind the author's very obvious past in playing old-school MMOs, where leaders of "top guilds" were pretty much never actual nice people.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-09-09, 00:23   Link #180
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Regardless, Heathcliff's smile in that moment should tell us all we need to know about him. I've watched enough anime to know that that wasn't the smile of a good guy. Nevermind the author's very obvious past in playing old-school MMOs, where leaders of "top guilds" were pretty much never actual nice people.
You just reminded me of 50 DKP MINUS