AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-05-02, 13:40   Link #1
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Laptop Screen Protection

Greetings all, just wanted to plop this one down quickly before taking a final -

I carry my laptop around in my backpack, in a special laptop pouch positioned nearest to my back. When the backpack is full, I believe that it pushes the lid closer to the keyboard than usual. Generally, if I go somewhere with the backpack, the computer comes along too. It gets a lot of usage. On my old laptop, I noticed a nasty gash mark that formed after about a year; within two years, imprints form the keys were very visible as well. I tried cleaning it with ethanol, but it wouldn't wipe off - it was a physical marring of the coating of the screen. It wasn't simply a matter of dirt/oils from the keyboard transferring to the screen.

I Google'd around for commercial solutions, and they seem to fall under two categories: 1) coating for the screen itself, or 2) a sort of pad that you place over the keys, to act as a buffer between the screen and the keypad. I don't care about preserving my computer to keep it looking new, but if the screen gets messed up it starts to grate on my nerves pretty badly. I'd be willing to pay at most $20 for a solution. Suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks for your time.
Old 2007-05-03, 11:26   Link #2
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
How bout a piece of Cardboard?

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 14:16   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

It'd increase overhead and likely cause damage on its own. I've considered using things like paper or what have you, but the amount of pressure that the system must go through in order to cause the damage that my system suffered must be enough that just placing anything might result in further damage.

I put down $12 for a "microfiber" cover - I'll follow up on it after I've received it and used it for a while. It's likely that a thin layer of styrofoam could achieve the same task, but as I said, I don't care to take chances. Having a rip mark on your screen is annoying and somewhat disabling.
Old 2007-05-03, 14:35   Link #4
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
I'm not sure where to get it in square form factor exactly, but a layer of neoprene or two might be a solution. But then again, that stuff is expensive. =b It's really hard to find something common, thin, offers resistance, and not damaging at the same time. This is a tricky one.

Last edited by reflection; 2007-05-03 at 14:48.
reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 14:46   Link #5
Tiberium Wolf

Wouldn't a hand bag just for the laptop be better? Since you are putting it i the backpack with other things the pressure must be pretty huge for any kind of thin protection unless you use an huge sponge! A friend of mine had the same problem. Solution: less things in the backpack or hand bag just for laptop. He went for the 1st solution.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote