Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-04-19, 01:25   Link #1
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Mortal Kombat -vs- DC Universe

Just a few hours ago, the existence of this project was revealed by Midway, aparently, the new game of Mortal Kombat will be a cross over with the Superheros of DC comics universe

Although at the moment, Ed Boon the creator, hasn't still confirmed if this is the so anticipated Mortal Kombat 8 or it's just an altern game, the bad news for Boon and company, is that the fans of Mortal Kombat (incluiding, me as well) aren't very happy with this "surprise"

By the moment there is no info of the gameplay of the game, the plot or even the characters, the only thing confirmed is that the game will be launched at the ends of this year and that it will be for XBOX 360 and Play Station 3, for Wii is still not confirmed

As soon I get new Info, I will post it here, by the moment the only I have is the render in the top and this trailer

Last edited by Evil Rick; 2008-10-14 at 17:46.
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 11:33   Link #2
digi.amuro

How do you do something like that? How? I dont see how these guys come up with ideas like this and keep their job. MK vs DC? It boggles the mind, it does.

I'll pick this game up tho if I can kill Superman in it. That would make this the best fighting game ever. Seriously tho, hate that guy.

Anyways, it scares me to see the direction things are going in the industry w/ stuff like this happening. And I thought the last MK game was the "last" one, tho I knew that it really couldnt be.

Some of the fighting mechanics look kinda interesting, like fighting while freefalling (that better be in there. i need moar ridiculous fighting game mechanics) and the idea of getting to beat to death my least favorite brand of superheros (barring Batman on account of awesomeness) makes this game almost tempting to pick up, just to kill Superman. I cant emphasize that point enough.
Old 2008-04-19, 12:03   Link #3
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi.amuro View Post
How do you do something like that? How? I dont see how these guys come up with ideas like this and keep their job. MK vs DC? It boggles the mind, it does.

I'll pick this game up tho if I can kill Superman in it. That would make this the best fighting game ever. Seriously tho, hate that guy.

Anyways, it scares me to see the direction things are going in the industry w/ stuff like this happening. And I thought the last MK game was the "last" one, tho I knew that it really couldnt be.

Some of the fighting mechanics look kinda interesting, like fighting while freefalling (that better be in there. i need moar ridiculous fighting game mechanics) and the idea of getting to beat to death my least favorite brand of superheros (barring Batman on account of awesomeness) makes this game almost tempting to pick up, just to kill Superman. I cant emphasize that point enough.
Bad news

There is a strong rumor that says that because DC don't want to see their superheros die, the most probably is that the Fatalyties will be removed for this game so the most probably is that this Mortal Kombat will be rated as "T"
Old 2008-04-19, 12:57   Link #4
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Exclamation New Info

trmk.org made an interview with Ed Boon, creator of Mortal Kombat, althoug I don't have the full discusion, I got the most important things that Boon reveal of this new MK
  • Ed Boon said that the idea of a Croos Over started since the time of MK3, originally Midway was in conversations with Capcom to have a Mortal Kombat-vs- Street Fighter, but aparently without relevance, DC by his part and thinking in marketing accept the offer like 2 years ago
  • DC comics will asist Midway to made the plot of MK-vs-DC
  • MK-vs-DC will take place after the events of MK Armageddon
  • Superman has been confirmed as character
  • The game will only be for XBOX 360 and Play Station 3, acording to Boon, the nintendo Wii doesn't have the properi grafic engine to suport the game
  • The weapon style and diverses fighting styles that were in the previus Mortal Kombats will not be used in this new Game
  • There will be two new improves in the game; the klose kombat (like boxing) and the freefall kombat (the ability of still be fighting while falling)
  • There will not be mini-games like Motor Kombat or Puzzle kombat
  • Ther will not be Konquest but there will be a story mode, taked from the two points of view

I still don't know if there will be included the Fatalyities or not
---------------------------------------------------------

noob.com the weeb site of Ed Boon had been reopened showing the srange image below and a text that says "Time's up" Although there is nothing in it about MK-vs-DC, now I wonder. Is that Scorpion?

Old 2008-04-19, 13:02   Link #5
rg4619

Quote:
There is a strong rumor that says that because DC don't want to see their superheros die, the most probably is that the Fatalyties will be removed for this game so the most probably is that this Mortal Kombat will be rated as "T"
That's a given for this kind of large, teen-oriented franchise.

I guess that MK sales must be slipping, but a drastic move like this might destroy appeal altogether.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 20:52   Link #6
digi.amuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Bad news

Well if that's the case, this game auto-fails. Guess I'll have to wait and see, huh?
I dont see what the big deal is. They kill off Superheroes all the time. Oh well.

Interesting stuff in that interview. To think this came of the dream match SF v MK. Seems like they're cutting it down to just the bare minimum. That'll suck.
Old 2008-04-19, 22:34   Link #7
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Honestly, this might sell just for the chance to have Batman rip Superman's head off O_o...

But on the other hand...

Superman wins. Fatality.

Is it me or can you simply not picture that happening?

I'm just wondering how Mortal Kombat can be Mortal Kombat without the FATALITIES. Come on, let us rip Superman's head off, PLEASE?
Old 2008-04-19, 23:45   Link #8
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

It's an odd combination, but certainly not the weirdest crossover ever. I stopped caring about Mortal Kombat (and fighting games in general) years ago, but this doesn't strike me as any more strange than the recent trend of adding characters like Darth Vader and Link to Soul Caliber or Snake and Sonic into SSBB.

And hey, if they can make Predator vs Batman....this shouldn't be that much more difficult to explain.
Old 2008-04-20, 12:01   Link #9
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It's an odd combination, but certainly not the weirdest crossover ever. I stopped caring about Mortal Kombat (and fighting games in general) years ago, but this doesn't strike me as any more strange than the recent trend of adding characters like Darth Vader and Link to Soul Caliber or Snake and Sonic into SSBB.

And hey, if they can make Predator vs Batman....this shouldn't be that much more difficult to explain.
At least with Link in SCII he had the whole weapons/questing/hero thing working as a plausible entrance and I don't really see anything wrong with Snake and Sonic (especially the latter) in Brawl. I thought that Star Wars characters in SCIV was as odd enough, but this? This is truly one of the weirdest crossovers I've seen in a game.

I lack the consoles and the interest in the MK series to actually play this, but I hope they do keep in those fatalities. It's not MK without them, and DC has knocked off some of its own superheroes before in rather gruesome ways before anyway. Oh well. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 21:26   Link #10
War_Lord
Modern Philosopher

This whole concept seems very very awkward to me. I just don't think this is going to work out. It'd be sweet if the themes matched, but instead they conflict with each other. One side favors blood and fatalities, the other has a protagonist alliance dubbed "super friends". One or both sides of the fanbase are gonna get turned off if they can't come up with a way to blend these themes together. But based on what I've heard, it seems like it's already too late. I'm pretty sure MK fans aren't gonna pick this up. Especially if they hate DC and would've liked the chance to kill the heroes of that universe.
Old 2008-04-20, 23:06   Link #11
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Lord View Post
This whole concept seems very very awkward to me. I just don't think this is going to work out. It'd be sweet if the themes matched, but instead they conflict with each other. One side favors blood and fatalities, the other has a protagonist alliance dubbed "super friends". One or both sides of the fanbase are gonna get turned off if they can't come up with a way to blend these themes together. But based on what I've heard, it seems like it's already too late. I'm pretty sure MK fans aren't gonna pick this up. Especially if they hate DC and would've liked the chance to kill the heroes of that universe.
By the moment the aceptation of the MK fans hasn't be good, in the oficial Mortal Kombat Fan Forum, the posts and posts of anger an unhappyness fills the threads, it got worse when Ed Boon confirmed that this is the so anticipated MK8 and not an altern game as many though

In the interview maded to Boon, he said that many fans will gonna be a bit angry at the begining but when they check the gameplay and plot, they will gona turn satisfied, I don't know you but first impresions are really important
Old 2008-04-21, 11:07   Link #12
justsomeguy

Mortal Kombat without fatalities = shit.

Superman in Mortal Kombat?! When realistically he can take on every MK character at once and win? WTF?

Heads should be rolling, both in and out of the game.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 20:20   Link #13
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Mortal Kombat without fatalities = shit.

Superman in Mortal Kombat?! When realistically he can take on every MK character at once and win? WTF?

Heads should be rolling, both in and out of the game.
You, like most people, forget that Superman's weak to magic too.
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 23:25   Link #14
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroidFanatic View Post
When Ed Boon confirmed that Superman was going to be in the game, he told that the famous man of Steel was not only weak to cryptonite, but to Magic Too

I ask my self, this may confirm the sorceres Shang Tsung & Quan Chi as characters for this game?

Old 2008-04-22, 06:20   Link #15
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

I must say, this must be the weirdest crossover for a fighting game that I have ever seen in my life. Mortal Kombat vs. DC super heroes??
The trailer didn't look that bad and free falling fighting looks interesting, but the whole concept of these two worlds colliding is really hard to see as a "successful" video game hit with anyone.
I know that lately, there have been "special guests" to cross other video game hits with other characters. One big example was Super Smash Bros. Brawl with Sonic and Snake. Sonic was alright, but it was some people who thought that bringing in Snake would be tough to do, since all of his games were pretty mature in terms of story telling and game play.
Now we have Soul Calibur 4 with Darth Vader and Yoda as special guests to enter the cross over treatment...that seems a bit weird to me, since light sabers do count as weapons, but a bit too futuristic for the Soul Calibur fighters?

I don't know how this will turn out, but whatever the reactions are later this year, when the game is released...it might determine how cross over games might turn out in the next year...and it might become a growing fad.
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 12:00   Link #16
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroidFanatic View Post
How many MK characters can actually use magic? And how much magic is in multibutton combos (which I suck at memorizing/pulling off), while Supes's player can just use normal attacks?

Unless everyone is armed with kryptonite weapons, I stand by my statement.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 12:04   Link #17
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
I must say, this must be the weirdest crossover for a fighting game that I have ever seen in my life. Mortal Kombat vs. DC super heroes??
The trailer didn't look that bad and free falling fighting looks interesting, but the whole concept of these two worlds colliding is really hard to see as a "successful" video game hit with anyone.
I know that lately, there have been "special guests" to cross other video game hits with other characters. One big example was Super Smash Bros. Brawl with Sonic and Snake. Sonic was alright, but it was some people who thought that bringing in Snake would be tough to do, since all of his games were pretty mature in terms of story telling and game play.
Now we have Soul Calibur 4 with Darth Vader and Yoda as special guests to enter the cross over treatment...that seems a bit weird to me, since light sabers do count as weapons, but a bit too futuristic for the Soul Calibur fighters?

I don't know how this will turn out, but whatever the reactions are later this year, when the game is released...it might determine how cross over games might turn out in the next year...and it might become a growing fad.
One or two aren't really that bad in case with SCIV. In SSBB it isn't that special since the game is pretty much about crossovers. Making half of the characters from DC is wtf though. o_O
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 20:34   Link #18
Ermes Marana

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
How many MK characters can actually use magic? And how much magic is in multibutton combos (which I suck at memorizing/pulling off), while Supes's player can just use normal attacks?

Unless everyone is armed with kryptonite weapons, I stand by my statement.

I agree Superman vastly overpowers most of the characters, but it is common in fighting games for certain characters to be vastly more powerful storywise.

In the Darkstalkers series, one of the characters can eat planets and create miniature suns. Yet in the game you can beat him with a sasquatch.

Actually, even in MK itself, Raiden is an Elder God and much more powerful than most others. Raiden would probably beat Superman storywise.
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 20:49   Link #19
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Mmmmmeh, I think all this "OMG THIS GAME IS GONNA SUCK BECAUSE IT'S GOT DC IN IT!!!!" stuff is getting really overblown.
Old 2008-04-22, 23:39   Link #20
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
For all the people who are saying "wtf DC/MK crossover", don't you forget another little franchise called "Marvel Vs. Capcom".

And, I don't know about you guys, but I am *dying* to play as Batman.

My only worry is balance... hell, what am I kidding, there's no way this game will be balanced, so might as well enjoy it for what it is.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote