AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 30 36.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 30.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 20.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 9.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.22%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-12-01, 17:23   Link #101
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
i think she was actually a childhood friend of her (hinted when he keeps saying that yuffie was just like before) and should know how innocent she is...also when he hints that cornilia hasnt changed at all it also implies that he also knew her when he was young...before he was outcasted...
And thus, the second part of my question - in case he was not going to hurt her, what was the use of threatening her in the first place ? Actually i don't think she was a 'friend' - look how he treats his childhood friend, while obviously knowing that they are enemies out in the field.

My best gues he wants to make her his 'supporter' - sort of showing her that he lets her go despite the fact that she could be a powerful tool in his hands, but doesn't do so just because she is a 'harmless' girl - thus promoting the image of "champion of justice" he is showing to the public. But again the question kicks in if this is the case - why threaten her in the first place ?

Unless ofc that was used for the dramatic effect of the moment only(without thinking deeper in to it from the writers side), making us believe for a moment that Lulu might have actualy shot her, which we know he is fully capable of.
Old 2006-12-01, 18:33   Link #102
cyoti

After watching the subbed version of Episode 8, am I to understand that Area 11/Japan is suppose to be the Arrakis of the Britannia Empire, the area necessary for driving the empire while itself is a centerpoint for insurrection and rebellion?

So then why was such an incompetent like Clovis given the position initially?
cyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 18:57   Link #103
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
My best gues he wants to make her his 'supporter' - sort of showing her that he lets her go despite the fact that she could be a powerful tool in his hands, but doesn't do so just because she is a 'harmless' girl - thus promoting the image of "champion of justice" he is showing to the public. But again the question kicks in if this is the case - why threaten her in the first place ?
something must have been said in the interlude between the gun pointing and the building going boom...well theres ont enough info to make a proper guess but chances are yuffie would have a flashback to the scene in a future ep...
or maybe the other option...stop thinking soo much!

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 21:41   Link #104
LCeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
And thus, the second part of my question - in case he was not going to hurt her, what was the use of threatening her in the first place ? Actually i don't think she was a 'friend' - look how he treats his childhood friend, while obviously knowing that they are enemies out in the field.

Unless ofc that was used for the dramatic effect of the moment only(without thinking deeper in to it from the writers side), making us believe for a moment that Lulu might have actualy shot her, which we know he is fully capable of.
Some great points there Skyfall.

I personally think that he didn't kill Euphemia because he couldn't. If he killed her, Cornelia would have finished them all right there. Instead, he saves her, saving himself as well as his "army", and now he earns himself a great reputation. It was hitting two birds with one stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
something must have been said in the interlude between the gun pointing and the building going boom...well theres ont enough info to make a proper guess but chances are yuffie would have a flashback to the scene in a future ep...
or maybe the other option...stop thinking soo much!
That's also a possibility, but not a likely one. I don't think it's likely that he said anything that would influence her thinking later on. I would say Skyfall's dramatic effect explanation would be more likely than this one, just my hunch.
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 22:03   Link #105
guiltygearxt
C.C. belongs to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
do you realize that this episode smash completely the possibility to compare DN and CG ?
do u find similarity between DN and CG?

Lelouch gets geass from green hair girl and now he wants 2 create a new world

Lelouch = Light in DN

green hair girl = Ryuku in DN

im not saying they r 100% same, im just saying they r alike
guiltygearxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 22:04   Link #106
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Gah.. i knew this would happen again.

Just because two shows have the same theme doesn't make them in anyway a like at all.
Old 2006-12-01, 23:01   Link #107
Wadjet
Join the Yggdra Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Gah.. i knew this would happen again.

Just because two shows have the same theme doesn't make them in anyway a like at all.
LOL

that like makes no sense at all. If they do have the same theme they have to be similar some way right? But anyway I know what you mean, but you have to agree there are some similarities and I think the one guilty pointed out is the biggest one. i think there is a whole different discussion going on about it in the morality thread. But anyways back to ep 8...

I think Zero Geass'd Euphie while we weren't looking. I don't know what for or what he told her but it may come back to save or help him out in later eps. He knows how much Cornellia dotes on Euphie so maybe something to help set her up? Anyway even if he didn't Geass her something had to have happened there. I doubt it was for suspense to make viewers think he had killed her (for like 2 minutes). Maybe we find out later in a flashback
Old 2006-12-01, 23:46   Link #108
Jewelray

Send a message via AIM to Jewelray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadjet View Post
I doubt it was for suspense to make viewers think he had killed her (for like 2 minutes). Maybe we find out later in a flashback
That totally had me (for like 2 minutes.) I was thinking "wow if he really kills her... I'll gain a lot of respect for this show!" Of course if would have creeped me out a bit, but it would have been gutsy and unexpected to kill off a future main character. Plus a part of me wanted to see Lelouch be a psychopath.

But I guess a 'misguided idealist' will have to do.
Jewelray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 00:01   Link #109
Missilebuster
gg, uninstall

anyone else think suzuko (or watever the hell his name is) looked a little to angry at zero, considering he was fighting for innocent people (when zero was making his speach about protecting them, suzuko looked rly pissed)? hell they should be secret allies

"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
~Spike Spiegel
Missilebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 01:20   Link #110
myopius

Hmm... I'm still not sure if it's Karen or Kallen, but I'll pick Kallen since I prefer it aesthetically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Somehow I get the impression that Lelouch himself isn't taking the melodramatic "order of the black knights" really seriously. I'd say it's more of a propaganda trick/way of pleasing the masses than a serious "secret organization". Or maybe the cheesy outfits and the dramatic name is just the creator's way of showing us that capable as Lelouch might be, he's still just a teenager with a taste for cheap drama.
Indeed they do look cheesy, but really, to a lesser extent many other characters' outfits look odd. I mean, the Emperor's whole appearance is overdone, as is Kallen's overly ... terrorist outfit. Lelouch does seem to have a taste for the theatrical, but I don't think he does it for out of some odd sense of humor, it's just the way he rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CronuZ View Post
Its gonna be a recap episode on Lulu's perspective future explaining some unexplained question like how he learn to pilot KnightMare, why is he and his sister are declared dead, why Ashford family sheltered them etc. I doubt this is gonna be a typical Gundam recap. Hopefully Taniguchi wont let his fans down on this.
I really would like this to be the case. By the way, your wording confused me, I thought you actually knew it was going to be that kind of recap, but from your last sentence I suppose you're just hoping.
How he learned to pilot a Knightmare, that's an interesting note. If they were only first used in the war on Japan, there's probably no way he would have had an opportunity as a child to learn to use one. Maybe he has used a simulator, however? Hmm, I wonder if anyone else knows about it, if that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsoor View Post
I was quite surprised to see Lelouch give up something about his identity during his conversation, but after a while it seemed reasonable. Even if he disguises himself there's no way he's not giving hints as to who he might be, with that character of his. Showing off to Ougi and Karen in the trailer was classic.
From what they've seen, Zero has been able to accomplish the impossible in many cases. Acquiring a trailer doesn't seem like it would the act which would cause them to think, he must be a noble. He insulted the nobles when he mentioned that he "requested" it from them, too, so it doesn't seem like they would think, maybe he's close to or among the nobles so he's able to acquire these things. That was a very cool scene.

Quote:
Did anyone notice Euphemia staring at the end there? Was she worried about the future? Did Lelouch do something to make her want to save him? Or was she just making puppydog eyes at the dashing, daredevil dandy who came, saw, and was victorious, in matters both of flesh and heart?
Yeah, that's the impression I got, concern for what will happen. Also, I feel like maybe she's slightly troubled by the way Zero ripped into her brother as a mass murderer. And since Cornelia essentially did the same as that man, it may have caused her to think about her close sister in a troubling way, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
1. We are certain about nothing. This is speculation...but not an unwelcome one.
2. We are shown NOTHING at all. The scene between Euphemia and Zero ends on a cliffhanger with Zero drawing a gun on her and giving the feeling that he's going to kill her. Then we go back to Suzaku's fight. We don't know what Zero did in the meantime, before he detonated the building's facade right in Suzaku's face, which is why we wonder whether Lelouch did anything to Euphemia before setting her in one of those life rafts.
3. She doesn't get to speak at all after Zero draws his gun. Her eyes don't show the telltale, red iris rim that Geassed girl sports but we don't know exactly whether one can indeed rewire the subject's brain so as to 'reactivate' the instructions at given times.
I considered that he could have asked Euphemia to kill Cornelia when she was in a position to do so with no visible chance of failure, like if Cornelia handed her a gun and she checked that after Euphemia checked that it was loaded, or something. However, I had dismissed it, assuming that the cut from when Zero pointed his gun at Euphemia was so we wouldn't see him lowering it and then issuing the order to put the hostages on boats, to provide suspense. But, if that did happen to be the case, that Euphemia had a secret order... if it was to do an immoral act, I wonder how that would complicate Euphemia's character, to find that she had done such a thing. Anyway, I'm inclined to think he didn't order that, because his ideal scenario would be to question Euphemia with the Geass and then shoot her dead, and a puppet can't accomplish that. Edit: Actually, Wadjet may be right on. If he had a codeword of some sort so that Euphemia would, say, take herself hostage...

Really nice episode. Really, really nice.

Edit:
On the relationship between this show and Death Note. Obviously they have similarities, and comparisons can be drawn between them. Obviously they each also have their own unique traits. For some reason I sense major hostility when there's a Death Note reference, butI don't think anyone is arguing that they're exactly identical.

Last edited by myopius; 2006-12-02 at 02:13.
myopius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 06:25   Link #111
Clarste
Human

I think it's obvious that something happened between Lelouch and Euphemia that we didn't see. You just don't go from pointing a gun at someone to putting them on a liferaft without saying something in between. At the very least I'd expect some little explanation of why he's not killing her (which may or may not be his real motivation). He may have Geassed for information, or even programmed her for something, but I wouldn't be surprised if his purpose was fulfilled simply by showing her that "I could have killed you but I didn't." That's a pretty powerful message, and I'm wondering how that'll play out. Anyway, now that he knows that his Geass is limited to once per person, it seems like he's going to be a bit more frugal with it on important people, and it doesn't seem like he has a detailed long-term plan yet.

On another note, I guess I should have realized this earlier, but it seems like Jeremiah and his minion's role is to be the officers who've been Geassed and lived to tell about it. And considering they're immune now, they'd make a pretty big hindrance to Lelouch's plans if/when Britannia realizes what he can do.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 07:13   Link #112
katsumi
ghostly member

Overall I liked this episode, but the ending, when Zero appeared in public with his new founded order was just a lil' bit too dramatic (=cheesy....) IMO. I guess that's because of Zero/Lulu's personality

Anyway, the episode left us with some details not explained. The discussion here concerning the scene between Zero and Euphemia is interesting.
At first I took it just as a suspense scene that's without deeper meaning as some discussed, but you guys got my curiosity. And now I can't wait to see if there was more to this scene and if it will be important for later developements in the series. Actually, I hope it has some meaning to it, otherwise it would just add to the cheesyness I sensed at the end of the episode. Why point a gun at someone if you let her/him go afterwards?

I sense upcoming complications within his Order as he was very secretive (?) about it when the "terrorists" asked him what his intentions were. And Karen's facial expression at the end also left me with an uncomfortable feeling. I think it wasn't too clever to let his fellow "knights" in the dark about his plans. He acted like that in previous episodes when it came to fighting, but the fight against Cornelia showed the weakness of this approach.
It seems to me they are nothing else than puppets to him, like the players in a game of chess, who are there to be strategically placed as best fitting for the outcome of the game = to win.
But those aren't emotionless chess pieces, they are humans and at the moment I think he tends to forget that.

On another topic: I still haven't gotten 'round to read through the morality discussion, but on the surface there is a similarity to DN (topic). Just wanted to add my view as for now
katsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 08:24   Link #113
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadjet View Post
that like makes no sense at all. If they do have the same theme they have to be similar some way right?
Same theme, completely different genre - makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius
Hmm... I'm still not sure if it's Karen or Kallen, but I'll pick Kallen since I prefer it aesthetically.
Thanks to the different subs people have been confused to do with the characters names, i just use the ones posted on the shows Wikipedia page, they seem to all be spot on.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2006-12-02 at 09:19.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 09:29   Link #114
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Thanks to the different subs people have been confused to do with the characters names, i just use the ones posted on the shows Wikipedia page, they seem to all be spot on.
Yeah, but even there (since I also contribute to the page from time to time, when there's something relevant to add or some formatting to do) the spellings change depending on who decides to stick to the official names and who prefers a more realistic/aesthetic spelling. Information also comes and goes depending on whether the users consider it as useful/relevant or not (the last debate in date being whether the words 'Settlements' and 'Ghettos' should remain in the 'Terminology' section).

Anyway, here's the official name list from Animage's December issue:

- Lelouch Lamperouge
- Nunnally Lamperouge
- Suzaku Kururugi
- C.C. (pronounced 'C-two' for those who still don't know)
- Jeremiah Gottwald
- Villetta Nu
- Kallen Stadtfeld
- Milly Ashford
- Shirley Fenette
- Rivalz Cardemonde
- Cornelia li Britania
- Euphemia li Britannia
- Llyod Asplund
- Cecile Croomy
Old 2006-12-02, 10:47   Link #115
Arya

About Lelouch/Euphemia thing ... I guess the meaning of pointing a gun at her is ... well Lelouch often do some actions only because he know (or suppose to know) the reaction they will cause (ie CC episode, he pointed the gun at his own head just because he knew that action would have stopped CC, and not because he really intended to shoot at himself if she didn't let him go) so it could be the case, but I don't guess so. Because of these GS vibes I cant' stop to see Euphemia as Lacus, so I guess that Lelouch is smart enough to know that nobody can deceives Lacus ... so the only smarty thing to do it is to be honest to her showing his true intentions, overacting his evil side with that "i'll kill you" playing just to remark his good points. Good points in a Lacus point of view of course, so I'm not talking about the "save the weaks" story here, but the "she is not aware yet but he is a good boy so at some point of the story she'll understand that they could fight togheter" or something like that.

About DN resemblances ... In my opinion one resemblance don't make two things similar...i mean, the "spaghetti all'amatriciana" and "pizza margherita" have both tomato salsa but they are very different dishes
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 11:41   Link #116
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Episode 8 was excellent as usual...Somehow it didn't have the same impact as episode 5 or 7 did, but perhaps that's because I was expecting quality of the same caliber from the former.

Thinking about it, the Order of the Black Knights would be something Lelouch thinks up of, anyway. I suppose it might be that remaining speck of royalty blood in him that makes him think that way. If not, it might be simply in direct opposition to the 'Knights' of the Britannian Empire, but I'm thinking too much on the second point.

I really hate to admit it, but looking at Suzaku's and Euphemia's reactions to Zero's speech and Nina's stupid little predicament respectively, they are starting to remain me more and more of the "Godly Couple" from a certain Gundam series. Can't say too much for Suzaku, since I've only caught a glimpse of his expression during the entire sequence, but somehow the way they do things seem to share the same nature as that of "Them".

As to what Lelouch might (or might not) have said to Euphemia, I think it's pretty interesting when it comes down to the point where we get on a emotional rollercoaster ride for her regarding her own family and what they have been doing (both her elder brother and sister massacring or at least ordering the genocide of numerous innocents. To put it mildly, an ignorance of the importance of the lives of people they don't really care much for). Putting together what she might possibly wish for from episode 5 (or was it 4 or 6? Can't remember), it certainly comes into conflict with her ideals.

Then again, no more turnabouts. I don't want to see a main character suddenly ditched for another goody two-shoes to take over. Too many bad memories of that.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 14:15   Link #117
Jewelray

Send a message via AIM to Jewelray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
r...i mean, the "spaghetti all'amatriciana" and "pizza margherita" have both tomato salsa but they are very different dishes
Haha nice analogy.

Similar themes on the broader level but with different take on them-- I think it's enough to make comparisons but really in the end it will be contrasts that will be most meaningful.
Jewelray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 14:32   Link #118
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
bad fashion sense, but "order of the Black knights" makes more sense then "League of Black Knights".

But then if i had my own way, i would call it "Black Knights of the Round Table" LOLz
Old 2006-12-02, 16:41   Link #119
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
bad fashion sense, but "order of the Black knights" makes more sense then "League of Black Knights".

But then if i had my own way, i would call it "Black Knights of the Round Table" LOLz
But that would require every member to be equal to one another.
Obviously that's not true. Lelouch's the Chess King, Kellen's the Chess Queen, and everyone else is just following orders.^_^
Old 2006-12-02, 17:36   Link #120
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ and in the other corner we will have suzaku and yuffie

i will puke if it turns into a GS parody

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote