AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-05-20, 08:27   Link #281
yankky5

Just asking but are you familiar with fluid dynamics and the physical properties of gas??
Old 2013-05-20, 08:49   Link #282
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankky5 View Post
Just asking but are you familiar with fluid dynamics and the physical properties of gas??
... Are you?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 09:13   Link #283
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Arg this is frustrating.

I'll post the answer on the manga thread, if anyone wants to check it out.

In case people just want to see the post, and not any other potential spoilers on the thread, here's a direct link to just my post.

This should end any arguments related to gas.
Unless you're talking about Sasha's.

Last edited by aohige; 2013-05-20 at 10:22.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 21:12   Link #284
yankky5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
... Are you?
yes.... though still in the middle of studying it but it is part of my curriculum

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Arg this is frustrating.

In case people just want to see the post, and not any other potential spoilers on the thread, here's a direct link to just my post.

sorry... I wanna try imagining what types of materials it be made in the RL

Last edited by yankky5; 2013-05-21 at 00:39.
yankky5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 03:40   Link #285
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
sorry... I wanna try imagining what types of materials it be made in the RL
Let's just imaging oxygen tanks.... Compress gas are very unstable that's why they are put in metal tanks... I meant HEAVY METAL TANKS.... I'm telling you.... if that like of gas does exist... you need a strong container... a HEAVY CONTAINER.... even a portable gas tank is like 10-15 kgs...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 06:56   Link #286
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well there already systems to use compressed gas as a way to store energy.

And there are also compressed air vehicles.

I'm not aware of anything of the sort that uses compressed gasses different from air.

I suppose that means that air is efficient enough and other gasses wouldn't be worth the effort since you'd need to spend even more energy to extract them or refine them.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 08:24   Link #287
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
No, they're monster.. Fictional Monsters that look like humans without d*cks.
Well, we can just agree to disagree here, at this point it's become a semantics argument.

Images
3D M Gear mechanics
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Arg this is frustrating.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't entertained the thought, that this world might had some fictional material.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 12:40   Link #288
Beltane70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Well there already systems to use compressed gas as a way to store energy.

And there are also compressed air vehicles.

I'm not aware of anything of the sort that uses compressed gasses different from air.

I suppose that means that air is efficient enough and other gasses wouldn't be worth the effort since you'd need to spend even more energy to extract them or refine them.
Well, there are paintball guns. Most of them use small canisters of CO2, as do some bb/pellet guns.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 16:47   Link #289
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Well, we can just agree to disagree here, at this point it's become a semantics argument
What were we talking about again?

Anyway... do they have any other used of this gas other than as a propellant?
Old 2013-05-21, 22:25   Link #290
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

So has anyone else gone out to buy an AoT inspired jacket yet? XD

I just did, can't wait til they release the division patches.

I always imagined that their jackets were leather but no way am I going to find one with that style of collar and lapel in leather, especially in real life for me to try on. But the one I got at least has the utility pockets and the epaulets.

If they don't release the patches, are any of you aware of any places I can get custom embroidered patches made?

But the o
Old 2013-05-22, 15:30   Link #291
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I thought they were using compressed natural gas that the gear burned through a high-pressure nozzle to propel the hooks, then expelled the excess gas through the back to cool the system. Guess not. I'm assuming the author is just sort of glazing over the technology a bit, like how it wasn't really explained how the full-body straps help them stay oriented and balanced.

But if it's using compressed gas to power the 3DMG like a kind of high-powered paintball gun, wouldn't the range of their grappling hooks be gradually reduced over time, as the pressure within the canister becomes less and less? [enter rant about poorly thought-out mechanics]

Personally I was expecting a more steampunk/gearpunk function to the 3DMG (way back before they explained that it required gas), and that it would have worked with clockwork springs or something mechanical that they could reset physically, rather than something like... a gas tank. The fact that characters are always forced to worry about their gas supply is frankly more irritating and distracting than it is tension-inducing.
Old 2013-05-22, 16:09   Link #292
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I thought they were using compressed natural gas that the gear burned through a high-pressure nozzle to propel the hooks, then expelled the excess gas through the back to cool the system. Guess not. I'm assuming the author is just sort of glazing over the technology a bit, like how it wasn't really explained how the full-body straps help them stay oriented and balanced.

But if it's using compressed gas to power the 3DMG like a kind of high-powered paintball gun, wouldn't the range of their grappling hooks be gradually reduced over time, as the pressure within the canister becomes less and less? [enter rant about poorly thought-out mechanics]

Personally I was expecting a more steampunk/gearpunk function to the 3DMG (way back before they explained that it required gas), and that it would have worked with clockwork springs or something mechanical that they could reset physically, rather than something like... a gas tank. The fact that characters are always forced to worry about their gas supply is frankly more irritating and distracting than it is tension-inducing.
Maybe this will help explain a bit better how they stay balanced and how the fan works?

Spoiler for Technical images from the manga explaining how the 3DM Gear works:
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 19:21   Link #293
yankky5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
Maybe this will help explain a bit better how they stay balanced and how the fan works?

Spoiler for Technical images from the manga explaining how the 3DM Gear works:
the fan certainly looks different from the anime

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-05-22, 19:41   Link #294
Gravitas Free Zone

The manga version would make me think that they're either carrying mini-kegs or are rescue St. Bernards. On the other hand the anime version seems very small for what it does.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 07:28   Link #295
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I think the author wanted to make the mechanism as much as credible as possible (even though it's application is not). He needed to come up with a power source that could move dozen kilos of mass fast and for a few hours without resorting to something too advanced.
A simple spring mechanism would have challenged my suspension of disbelief even more than it already is.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 07:36   Link #296
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I think the author wanted to make the mechanism as much as credible as possible (even though it's application is not). He needed to come up with a power source that could move dozen kilos of mass fast and for a few hours without resorting to something too advanced.
A simple spring mechanism would have challenged my suspension of disbelief even more than it already is.
These holes in their technology gives me headaches... the gas, the spring, the blades and the harpoons.... man..
Old 2013-05-23, 07:43   Link #297
yankky5

Quote:
These holes in their technology gives me headaches... the gas, the spring, the blades and the harpoons.... man..
Cant be helped aside from those weapons the fastest and most precise method to kill a big monsters is a mech lol
Old 2013-05-23, 07:50   Link #298
NoemiChan
Banned

Another though.. the neck as a weakness is LOls.. beheading wouldn't work but slicing the neck does... If they just made it like stupid giants eating anything and can't be killed like normal humans do, it'll be more exciting..... giants bleeding to death... mutilation and decapitation would be like.... yeah damn...
Old 2013-05-23, 07:57   Link #299
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Cant be helped aside from those weapons the fastest and most precise method to kill a big monsters is a mech lol
Pretty much on the same level of plausibly. But as said before a couple pages back, most sci-fi items usually requires a suspense of disbelieve. I'm just hapy the author thought about to work well enough rather than just tossing everything to the wall.

Quote:
Another though.. the neck as a weakness is LOls.. beheading wouldn't work but slicing the neck does...
Why would this be weird? It just means recovery for that one spot is weaker than the rest. It's very difficult spot to strike without more advanced weapons anyway.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 08:05   Link #300
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Why would this be weird? It just means recovery for that one spot is weaker than the rest. It's very difficult spot to strike without more advanced weapons anyway.
It's weird if you know anatomy. What's not achieved in beheading that is achieved in slicing the neck aside knowing the fact that beheading is just slicing through and through the neck?

It would have been understandable that beheading should also work (even better) but obviously their blade can't be possibly long or strong enough to slice through and through the neck. Based on the last episode, the new Titan managed to behead another titan but it still moved... it was just neutralized after severing the neck ( by stepping on it).

The reason why I think slicing the neck is the only way is because the fact is...their blade can't be possibly long or strong enough to slice through and through the neck. It's practical and pretty achievable.

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-05-23 at 08:17.