AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 11 19.64%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 17.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 30.36%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 17.86%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 10.71%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.57%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-27, 13:21   Link #41
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneizel View Post
re: other squad 7 members talking - The Japanese credits for 4 include Jann, Emile and Karl, but I don't recall any of them actually speaking... Or maybe they mean as background voices when Welkin and Faldio were announcing things... ~o~;
Edy doesn't even have a voice. Wth.
Old 2009-04-29, 03:40   Link #42
Solecs

Just saw the ep and I thought it was pretty good. I'm getting more comfortable with the personality changes they've made with Alicia and Welkin and I think I'm actually starting to like them now. I also like how they're building Faldio's relationship with Welkin and they're giving him a good amount of weirdness to compliment Welkin. Hopefully we get some more interactions outside the core characters next ep.

Did anybody else notice that Faldio's shirt magically disappears after he gets dressed? Right after Welkin tells him he'll catch a cold they show a close-up of Faldio's head where you can see the white shirt underneath, and in the next body shot he's bare chested again. Though he's wearing the Officer's jacket.
Old 2009-04-29, 05:54   Link #43
kalbron

Well, my jury's still out on the anime.

Primarily because pretty much nothing at all happened this episode. Somehow though that final interaction with Faldio-Alicia-Welkin seemed to... well... almost fit their game personalities I guess.

A pointless episode, but it could have been far worse.

Edit: The strangest thing I felt was how they randomly had a relatively low ranking officer told to go greet a General/have his squad assigned to the General's company. Shouldn't it have been Captain Varrot and the entire regiment rather than just a fragment of one? O.o
Old 2009-04-29, 08:06   Link #44
kamikazex

pretty awesome episode. the facial expressions get me every time
Old 2009-04-29, 09:49   Link #45
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well here I was going to comment on why people who obviously have distinct character designs were behaving like background props this episode, but it seems it was also on just about everyone else's mind aswell.

I guess the producers never watched any good WWII movies...Or really military movies at all. Its all about the squad as a whole ya know? We want to get to know each one of them and thier interactions together not just the select few. Right now if they'd broaden their view abit instead of trying to trot out this reverse ecchi anime scenes I think the show would be a great deal more fun as a hole...

Otherwise the overall story continues to intrigue, but alot of the character interactions still feel rather stilted and forced...I have a feeling this animes gonna be the one to drive me to buy a PS3 as I have an incredible suspicion from the reviews that I read of the game that the anime so far is doing a disservice to the characters though I may be wrong.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2009-04-29, 11:29   Link #46
Solecs

I'm hoping they start bringing in the squad members in the next episode or two. Though from looking at the next ep preview that doesn't seem like it'll be there. Then again, they seem to be introducing 4-5 characters per episode so maybe they'll start with side characters now, since I can't think of any other major players who haven't shown up yet.

I still liked the episode as a whole though, they built up the Welkin-Alicia-Faldio relationship and showed off either side's jerkface generals (Gregor and Damon). I also like to think that they built up Welkin. It seemed like Welkin was aware of how terrible a general Damon is and was ok with not working under his command (i.e. he knew that Damon was going to get screwed.). But then that's just speculation on my part :-/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
Edit: The strangest thing I felt was how they randomly had a relatively low ranking officer told to go greet a General/have his squad assigned to the General's company. Shouldn't it have been Captain Varrot and the entire regiment rather than just a fragment of one? O.o
From what I recall, Captain Varrot is the captain of the entire militia which is broken up into squads. The seperate squads are assigned to tasks, and in this case Squad 7 was assigned to support Damon. What I got from the episode was that Damon personally requested Welkin and Alicia to meet him as the leaders of Squad 7. I was under the impression he just wanted to see what they looked like and to tell them off after what they did in Vasel mission.
Old 2009-04-29, 11:53   Link #47
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Watching episode four again, and lol Jann has one line in this episode. ONE LINE.
Old 2009-04-29, 14:51   Link #48
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
I dont quite remember this from the game (i didnt do two of the reports) but nonetheless it was entertaining. I would like it if they focused more on the other squad members than just Welkin and Alicia though, there should be alot more depht than just those two.

Also, I am in the 'Give Edy A Voice' club.

And in the 'Give Isara more meaningful lines Club' too. If anything, Isara should get alot of focus at this point in my view, since she plays some key roles.
Old 2009-04-29, 14:58   Link #49
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
I dont quite remember this from the game
About 95% of this episode was all anime original material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
And in the 'Give Isara more meaningful lines Club' too. If anything, Isara should get alot of focus at this point in my view, since she plays some key roles.
That i agree with. She didn't even have any lines in this episode.
Old 2009-04-29, 15:57   Link #50
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That i agree with. She didn't even have any lines in this episode.
Wrong. She had one line at the end of the episode, though it was really only one word. It happened just before Alicia (accidentally) slapped Welkin.
Old 2009-04-29, 15:59   Link #51
kalbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
From what I recall, Captain Varrot is the captain of the entire militia which is broken up into squads. The seperate squads are assigned to tasks, and in this case Squad 7 was assigned to support Damon. What I got from the episode was that Damon personally requested Welkin and Alicia to meet him as the leaders of Squad 7. I was under the impression he just wanted to see what they looked like and to tell them off after what they did in Vasel mission.
Nah, Captain Varrot is only the commander of the 3rd Regiment of the Militia, which has X number of Squads/Platoons in it. In the game, Damon doesn't care what the "plebs" under her do or say, rather he chooses to chew her out all the time. Probably because she's been in the real army since the Militia proper disbanded after EW1 so he acknowledges her as slightly better than the "trash" she works with. After all, she's still not a noble so he couldn't care less even if she dies.
Old 2009-04-29, 16:02   Link #52
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runty View Post
Wrong. She had one line at the end of the episode, though it was really only one word. It happened just before Alicia (accidentally) slapped Welkin.
Oh wow.

Still, only one line? That's the point i'm getting at.
Old 2009-04-29, 16:07   Link #53
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
I share your frustration. I mean making the squad members basically a non-factor is one thing, but then making important characters take backstage an entire episode is just going even more down the wrong road.

As I said in a previous post, if by two episodes or so if things keep playing out how they are with many of the characters, my hopes for this series will significantly drop.
Old 2009-04-29, 16:12   Link #54
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Lelouch's voice with the look of Schneizel = win

Yes, I'm so sad that I'm staring at my Lelouch posters while listening to Fukuyama Jun talk. This was one of the things that captured my attention to this from the start, I read a review on the game and the author said 'the game creaters might have watched too much Code Geass' or something along those lines.

I haven't played the game nor I have any plans to play the game, since I dont have a PS3 (or a console of ANY shape...). The anime seems to be what I call 'Above average, but even if you haven't seen it, you're not losing out alot'. If they increases the amount of battle scenes, I'll soon fall asleep listening to all those strategies. So I'm quite happy at what the animators did so far.
Old 2009-04-29, 16:22   Link #55
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Oh wow.

It's only one episode. She already had a good amount of lines in the previous episode or two. Shirly Surely you can't expect her to play a major role in every episode, right?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-04-29, 16:35   Link #56
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Shirly Surely you can't expect her to play a major role in every episode, right?
Yes actually, because she's a major character.

I wish they'd stop changing Alicia's character for a second (giving her all the spotlight), and give some of the other characters a chance to shine, though at this rate it looks like i'm asking far to much out of this adaptation.

Don't get me wrong i'm enjoying it, though it's frustrating to watch.
Old 2009-04-29, 16:48   Link #57
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
It's only one episode. She already had a good amount of lines in the previous episode or two. Shirly Surely you can't expect her to play a major role in every episode, right?
I'm serious. And don't call me "Shirley."

Anyway...

My thoughts on Episode 4:

-I can tell the Faldio/Alicia thing is going to piss me off. I understand the adaption is just that; an adaption. But I think this is too major of a change. Is it REALLY necessary to add this? I mean, to garner some female audience can't they just rely on the obvious relationship between Alicia and Welkin? You can change their relationship to hold the shoujo portion of this anime.

-I don't remember from the game if this rout of the Gallian Regulars was mentioned, but I like them showing the Regulars getting schooled because Damon was such a pr*ck in the game. He's the definition of a spiteful commander.

-This episode seemed really short for some reason. Don't know why.

-I'm not complaining, BUT... It's VERY obvious to me that they are going to highlight Selvaria's boobage every time she appears on screen. I don't have a problem with that.

-Honestly, why did they pick some of the most obscure or generic characters for the rest of Squad 7? Maybe so they didn't have to bother developing them? Edy and Marina, for example, are very beloved by the game fans so they're obvious choices, but really, do you need BOTH of the twin snipers? Is Ted really necessary? Come on now. I can understand if they're in there, as I said, so they don't have to develop them, but if they do bother to give them lines and feature them a bit later I'll be kinda ticked because there were a LOT better choices. MUCH more interesting characters won't ever get into the anime.

-I wonder how long the battle for Khloden Wood will take compared to Vasel, which was pretty quick.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-04-29, 17:04   Link #58
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Yes, Isara IS a main character. And I expect her to play a role in every episode she is in.

I dont want her to get the secondary character treatment, shes an extremely important character in this series.
Old 2009-04-29, 17:20   Link #59
Runty

I just watched doremi's subbed version. My extra points:

Spoiler for Episode 4, Subbed:
Old 2009-04-29, 17:36   Link #60
kalbron

Honestly Runty I thought Faldio's lines redefined retarded playboy and felt rather forced and hammy, but then again I'm a guy, so maybe there are girls that like that sort of stuff?
Closed Thread