AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-01-03, 00:07   Link #1
Amorok
Ghostbuster

My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic! Discussion

What's the deal with this show? I've had SO many people recommend the series to me, but I still can't bring myself to watch it. What on Earth could possibly make a children's animated series so popular among adults?
Old 2012-01-03, 00:23   Link #2
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
What's the deal with this show? I've had SO many people recommend the series to me, but I still can't bring myself to watch it. What on Earth could possibly make a children's animated series so popular among adults?
The best I can figure is that your expectations are so low going into it that when you find out it's not abysmal, you're super excited. It's like if you handed a three year old a few crayons and he scribbled out a house. It's not good art by any stretch of the imagination, but for what it is, it's impressive.

And that's what MLP is. It may be a fantastic kids' show, but it IS a kid's show and should be judged accordingly. These people simply can't do that.
Old 2012-01-03, 00:32   Link #3
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Nostalgia? There was a My Little Pony in the 1980s.

Other than that, no clue. Not watch it myself.
Old 2012-01-03, 00:37   Link #4
solomon

There is a lot of documentation on it.

You can try the wiki or better yet this is a decent article;

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/09/07/m...y-little-pony/

Read it and the follow up.

Admittedly It does nothing for me, but I can't hate on the show cause a lot of Dexter's Lab and PPG people worked on it and they generally kick ass so, they know how to make toons that appeal to wide age groups.

Also Amarok, you don't watch any shonen do you? Cause if you do you are in fact watching shit made for kids.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 00:48   Link #5
Who

Okay, so here's how it goes:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-com...riven-era.html

^That article pissed off a few people in /co/ (4chan's cartoon board). Because MLP was mentioned in it quite a bit, quite a number of people went to go watch the show. It just so happens that the creator of MLP is also the creator of Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home (the former was something I watched occasionally 15 years ago or so and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was pretty awesome).

The rest of /b/ found out eventually and by the second episode, many were hooked for different reasons, whether it be themes and characters or the bright artwork in contrast to many cartoons produced in Western media.

And being that it originated on /b/, the source of many memes and images (9gaggers, disagree all you want, but it's true), it spread rapidly, combined with the fact that Hasbro didn't really take MLP episodes which were being streamed on Youtube, down.

Eventually, there was a huge shitfest in /b/ and MLP was the center of the argument, between users who loved the show and those who didn't.

It also helps that a lot of the developers for the show have made accounts on Youtube AND 4chan/reddit (yes, including Lauren Faust; she posts on /co/) to interact with the demographics and receive feedback.

Celebrities and famous figures have also referenced the show, and that goes a long way in advertising something. Bill Clinton was asked about characters on MLP on NPR and Colbert gives a shoutout to "bronies" on a particular episode.

Long story short: Started out as a movement to prove an article wrong, then exploded into an internet trend.

Edit: What Dilla said. Fosters I was aware but don't know why I mentioned it of but PPG not so much.

Last edited by Who; 2012-01-03 at 01:08.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 00:48   Link #6
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Nostalgia? There was a My Little Pony in the 1980s.
The new version has almost zero similarity to the old one outside of colorful ponies as main characters from what I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
^That article pissed off a few people in /co/ (4chan's cartoon board). Because MLP was mentioned in it quite a bit, quite a number of people went to go watch the show. It just so happens that the creator of MLP is also the creator of Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home (the former was something I watched occasionally 15 years ago or so and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was pretty awesome).
Slight correction, Lauren Faust is the wife of the creator of PPG and Foster's, who is Craig McCraken. She was story artist for the former and head writer for the latter.

Last edited by Dilla; 2012-01-03 at 00:58.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 00:57   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've watched a couple of episodes.... but I was immediately thinking "Powerpuff Girls" subversiveness with crazy colored horses before I knew the same creative talents were involved.

Powerpuff Girls was quite amusing (Panty&Stocking drew a lot of style from it). I see a few inklings but mostly it is a kid's show that isn't as utterly crappy as its competition.
Old 2012-01-03, 01:01   Link #8
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Okay, so here's how it goes:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-com...riven-era.html

The rest of /b/ found out eventually and by the second episode, many were hooked for different reasons, whether it be themes and characters or the bright artwork in contrast to many cartoons produced in Western media.

And being that it originated on /b/, the source of many memes and images (9gaggers, disagree all you want, but it's true), it spread rapidly, combined with the fact that Hasbro didn't really take MLP episodes which were being streamed on Youtube, down.

Eventually, there was a huge shitfest in /b/ and MLP was the center of the argument, between users who loved the show and those who didn't.

It also helps that a lot of the developers for the show have made accounts on Youtube AND 4chan/reddit (yes, including Lauren Faust; she posts on /co/) to interact with the demographics and receive feedback.

Celebrities and famous figures have also referenced the show, and that goes a long way in advertising something. Bill Clinton was asked about characters on MLP on NPR and Colbert gives a shoutout to "bronies" on a particular episode.

Long story short: Started out as a movement to prove an article wrong, then exploded into an internet trend.
Somehow I have a hard time wrapping my mind around flame/troll wars around MLP. -_-

Yes - I know such things are theoretically possible, having seen similar things over what seem to me to be equally silly occasions for discussion, but still....
Old 2012-01-03, 01:09   Link #9
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

If you still want know why MLP is awesome, let this Know Your Meme video explain.

Old 2012-01-03, 03:46   Link #10
Kallen4life

very good art, animation, voice-acting ! (especially .. Fluttershy's voice _god: .. and once you realise that Pinkie and Flutters are voiced by the same VA ...........) & ofc characters

and Q-iscord !

and you know the show is for adults as well if there are The Big Lebowski references in it .. not that it matters for whom it is, if it's good I watch it
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 03:52   Link #11
Kyouka
Is Here

its a really good series i enjoy it derpyhooves <3
Kyouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 06:17   Link #12
brocko

The western Moe culture has begun and MLP is at the forefront of this movement

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 06:26   Link #13
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Why couldn't we stick to catgirls?
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 07:06   Link #14
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Cause we use catgirls as sexy in the West?
Old 2012-01-03, 07:58   Link #15
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Cause we use catgirls as sexy in the West?
Blasphemy! Catgirls are supposed to be cute!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 09:38   Link #16
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I just don't understand why people my age [17-18] are watching it. And they're all male. It seems like a little girls cartoon.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 10:22   Link #17
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
I just don't understand why people my age [17-18] are watching it. And they're all male. It seems like a little girls cartoon.

It is. But the creator also made it accessible to older audiences as well so that when they watch it with their little daughters/nieces/w/e they won't have to feel like hammering their heads in when do.

That moe joke I made earlier was actually semi-serious to be honest. If you were to show some magical girl shows like Pretty Cure or Shugo Chara to an average person unaware of anime and manga culture (hell you could probably extend this to include the bishoujou type shows as well), they'd straight up tell you those shows are for little girls and only little girls should be watching that (and they'd be completely right in a sense). I'm pretty sure many anime fans would even share that same viewpoint too and yet here they are with a massive male otaku following and fanbase for some strange reason.

The same thing that's happening there is pretty much happening here too with MLP imo. Same phenomena just in a different media culture.

It'd be pretty interesting to see how much overlap there is between MLP fans and anime/manga otaku fans tbh. I really do wonder how many "bronies" out have next to no knowledge of otaku culture at all.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2012-01-03 at 10:33.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 11:23   Link #18
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post

I certainly wouldn't watch it of my own accord. It probably stems from my vague knowledge of it back in the 80's when the cartoon movies, and the toys, were strictly for girls.

That being said, my daughter, who is ~almost 5~ does have a couple My Little Pony figures, and she loves playing with them. One of them is pink, has moving wings, a unicorn horn, and wears a tiara (Can't think of the name). So as she grows older, and earns more TV time, I imagine I'll be watching a few episodes with her. From the descriptions posted here, I might not have to kill myself.

BTW - "earn TV time" means exactly that. 1 hour of reading and/or math when she comes home from school earns 1/2 hour of TV.

Endless "Not a bronie" Soul
Old 2012-01-03, 13:16   Link #19
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I certainly wouldn't watch it of my own accord. It probably stems from my vague knowledge of it back in the 80's when the cartoon movies, and the toys, were strictly for girls.

That being said, my daughter, who is ~almost 5~ does have a couple My Little Pony figures, and she loves playing with them. One of them is pink, has moving wings, a unicorn horn, and wears a tiara (Can't think of the name). So as she grows older, and earns more TV time, I imagine I'll be watching a few episodes with her. From the descriptions posted here, I might not have to kill myself.

BTW - "earn TV time" means exactly that. 1 hour of reading and/or math when she comes home from school earns 1/2 hour of TV.

Endless "Not a bronie" Soul
Come to think of it, since Primary Four, I start wondering about the entertainment value of TV other than anime, sci-fi and documentary. Up till today, I am still struggling with the fact that watching "Margin Call" and not using Facebook effectively grants you the status of "antisocial" and "depressed".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-03, 13:27   Link #20
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
If only there were more parents like you...

Tags
my little pony