AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-07-19, 17:12   Link #61
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

I'm actually surprised to see largely positive reactions. The art/animation was so embarrassingly all over the place, I can't even remember the last time I saw 24 minutes so chock-full of QUALITY!
It was atrocious.

Ami's transformation was better than Usagi's, but I suspect it's only because it was shorter... Usagi's sequence is still a scene of pure, utter, soul-crushing misery. I wish they wouldn't repeat it.

Now, on a positive note Ami's VA sounds pretty great though. That was the highlight of the episode for me. The direction wasn't bad either, I liked the little changes and overall flow of the episode. It's just that the horrid lack of any effort regarding the music and animation really got me this time round to the point that my enjoyment was diminished.
I'll see what it's like on a second viewing, but overall, I'm sorry to say I was more disappointed than satisfied.
Shame, because I was really looking forward to this particular episode. Can't wait to have a look at the Moon Pride MV, it's still my favourite part of SMC so far
Old 2014-07-20, 00:22   Link #62
Frumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
I'm actually surprised to see largely positive reactions. The art/animation was so embarrassingly all over the place, I can't even remember the last time I saw 24 minutes so chock-full of QUALITY!
It was atrocious.

Ami's transformation was better than Usagi's, but I suspect it's only because it was shorter... Usagi's sequence is still a scene of pure, utter, soul-crushing misery. I wish they wouldn't repeat it.

Now, on a positive note Ami's VA sounds pretty great though. That was the highlight of the episode for me. The direction wasn't bad either, I liked the little changes and overall flow of the episode. It's just that the horrid lack of any effort regarding the music and animation really got me this time round to the point that my enjoyment was diminished.
I'll see what it's like on a second viewing, but overall, I'm sorry to say I was more disappointed than satisfied.
Shame, because I was really looking forward to this particular episode. Can't wait to have a look at the Moon Pride MV, it's still my favourite part of SMC so far

Animation issues are unfortunate, but the episode was still great.
Don't really see anything wrong with the music though, but on the other hand I can't really remember any of it either.
Frumix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-20, 04:00   Link #63
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumix View Post
Animation issues are unfortunate, but the episode was still great.
Don't really see anything wrong with the music though, but on the other hand I can't really remember any of it either.
Well, my issue with the music is that the bits i do remember don't just sound similar, but sound exactly like the same composer's work for Suite Precure.

The truth is, for the first time, I'm actually genuinely disappointed. I defended you, SMC! at least pretend like you're trying.
The general direction of the episode was good, but the production was truly horrid. Not just bad (that would be fine), but actually awful.
I don't even want to mention Kotono.
Old 2014-07-20, 04:04   Link #64
Sakuya
*Artist

The wonky animation didn't bother me that much but at least, there seems to be less stiff-ness in episode 2 and more frames and movement. I was expecting the battle scene to be silly like in the original anime but it was actually pretty hardcore seeing Sailor Moon beaten like that. Poor girl. I was expecting some type of comeback from her after that but they removed the Sailor Kick that was in the manga.

The music was not memorable at all. Other than Moon's transformation music and the opening piece from episode 1, I don't even remember what the music sounds like at all. I honestly miss the old music, especially the transformation music.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-20, 04:57   Link #65
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Was Usagi.....always this screechy and male sounding O___o
Old 2014-07-20, 06:03   Link #66
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
No, and her voice is one of the worst things about this series. Kotono Mitsuishi's voice is simply not fit for cute young girls anymore, it's just not working at all. Usagi sounds like an adult woman trying very hard, and failing, to sound like a cute young girl. I think it would've been a lot more classy if they made Kotono voice Usagi's mom or, hell, Serenity, and give Usagi to a younger seiyuu.

Then again, I think this is a symptom of my problem with the series so far. Instead of trying to be fresh and "now", it's kind of like an old band getting together again and trying to get by on their old success, tricks and hijinks that worked when they were young but don't work twenty years later, when the members are older and the world has already moved on anyway. If at least it looked good it could've been a stylish remake/adaptation that's old-school but graceful about it. But it doesn't look good at all, the animation is horrid, and that's the final nail in the show's coffin, at least as far as I'm concerned. I can't imagine anyone thinking this is an anniversary project worthy of the franchise. :/ It's embarrassing, frankly. It would've been a lot better to create a new, reimagined version... (Or if the show wasn't taking itself so seriously, but it does, and that just ruins everything.)

FWIW I never was a big Sailor Moon fan and I never liked the manga, so I suppose I don't have the love for the franchise that could make me overlook the glaring flaws. But I think it's already bad when you need nostalgia glasses to enjoy a show created so recently.

Anyway, I'll keep watching for the time being - in the old anime and in the live action version (that I loved) my main point of interest was the villains, and I hope Crystal won't dispose of them as quickly as the manga, but gives them a personality and lets them shine a little.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-20, 10:07   Link #67
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
FWIW I never was a big Sailor Moon fan and I never liked the manga, so I suppose I don't have the love for the franchise that could make me overlook the glaring flaws. But I think it's already bad when you need nostalgia glasses to enjoy a show created so recently.
I think this is an important point.

There are probably a bunch of us who are trying very hard to like this regardless of any perceived flaws because of how much we like the original anime and manga. Though, even I have to admit, it's hard. Maybe it's because I'm really used to HD anime now, but going back to rewatch some episodes I am finding myself really irked by the lower quality of the old anime. Still, the mannerisms and personalities of the characters are timeless to me. Are they goofy? Yes. But that was the 90s and it still fits.

Honestly, I am finding myself more drawn to the manga over time. I am hoping Crystal can improve over the course of this series to the point where it will be something I can watch again in several years and not be somewhat disappointed with how it aged like I am with the original series right now for some reason.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-20, 11:06   Link #68
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I think this is an important point.

There are probably a bunch of us who are trying very hard to like this regardless of any perceived flaws because of how much we like the original anime and manga. Though, even I have to admit, it's hard. Maybe it's because I'm really used to HD anime now, but going back to rewatch some episodes I am finding myself really irked by the lower quality of the old anime. Still, the mannerisms and personalities of the characters are timeless to me. Are they goofy? Yes. But that was the 90s and it still fits.

Honestly, I am finding myself more drawn to the manga over time. I am hoping Crystal can improve over the course of this series to the point where it will be something I can watch again in several years and not be somewhat disappointed with how it aged like I am with the original series right now for some reason.
Very hard... This second episode looks like the worst drawn anime episode for a decade or so... The old Sailor Moon has it flows, it was very popular with all the art variation between the episodes, but in Crystal there is art variation in every 30 seconds in a single episode. From pretty and nice imagery to ridiculously off key frames and this huge contrast is jarring. When I watched the second episode for a first time I was more into the story and the episode flow, which were nicely done, but the art was really wonky... The old anime is... well 20 year-old production, but when it comes to an episode that introduces a new character or story development they gave everything they have, while Crystal has wonky moments even in the opening sequence, which is unforgivable... It is ok for an episode to have some bad moments, but not an almost entire episode done by unknown and unexperienced animators. When you watch the old anime you can never see off model faces in the opening sequences. You can never see a variation of art in an episode, at least not in such a blatant rate as the second Crystal episode. When I watched it for a second time I became embarrassed again for being a Sailor Moon fan. I think this show deserves better. And after the probably worst Sailor Moon episode ever drawn they released the PV for Moon Pride. Was that a mockery of a sort. "Hey look, it was supposed to look like this, but we don't give a penny for this show..." They better do something, the first episode was very static but it had some beautiful moments here and there and overall good art quality, but the second... Hope it won't get worse in the future... but highly doubt it.
Spoiler for Images:

A mockery indeed... Fans keep on spending money on merchandise in order to support the series, but their money went for a Video of a song the majority of fans don't like...

Last edited by minaku; 2014-07-20 at 12:20.
minaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-20, 14:45   Link #69
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Honestly it doesnt bother me because Usagi is suppose to be a whiny cry-baby 13/14 year old (tho she looks 18...). I hated her voice in the first series, now Im just used to it.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-20, 23:27   Link #70
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Surprisingly, despite the low animation quality at times, I quite enjoyed ep2. I was so focused on the changes to the plotline with Sailor Mercury that I was pretty oblivious to all the other negatives people have posted about this episode.

I quite liked how they revealed more of Ami's loneliness and sadness at the beginning - and how she longed to have friends like Usagi. It really gives Ami's character much more depth than in the original anime. And her seiyuu fits Ami quite well.

It's great to see their attacks are much better designed/animated compared to the original anime (no more bubbles for Mercury ).

The animated manga plot has made up for the inadequate animation, at least to me.

But I do wonder why the mind control on the disk didn't have any affect on Usagi?

One thing that is a bit difficult to adjust to was how Usagi's often in a damsel-in-distress situation and get saved by Tuxedo Kamen. After watching several current series with strong female leads, this situation does jump out at me. But it does make me notice how female MCs have evolved over the years. Many female MCs in current anime series are quite strong and independent (at least in shows I've seen so far but then that could be my bias in choosing what I watch). I'm guessing that if another Usagi was to appear in a new anime nowadays, she probably wouldn't get many fans.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 00:34   Link #71
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
One thing that is a bit difficult to adjust to was how Usagi's often in a damsel-in-distress situation and get saved by Tuxedo Kamen. After watching several current series with strong female leads, this situation does jump out at me. But it does make me notice how female MCs have evolved over the years. Many female MCs in current anime series are quite strong and independent (at least in shows I've seen so far but then that could be my bias in choosing what I watch). I'm guessing that if another Usagi was to appear in a new anime nowadays, she probably wouldn't get many fans.
This always bothered me, even in the old series. I never was a huge fan of Kamen, I like him a bit more now since well...he's cuter shallow. I know Usagi did get better as the series went on and sometimes he'd just show up to watch. I think since theyre following the manga closer theyre setting up once again that these two are destined to be together, he is her knight in shining armor.

Im just gonna vomit then Chibi-usa shows up and oogles him along with Usagi...and then they get jealous of each other.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2014-07-21, 01:39   Link #72
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

My impression of Mamoru when I was a kid watching anime on TV is like "Wow what a handsome useless guy", seriously all I remember about him was some of his dramatic entrances, how he threw a rose, said some encouraging lines to Sailor Moon then didn't really do anything and just disappeared. At least he serves some kind of role in the manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Im just gonna vomit then Chibi-usa shows up and oogles him along with Usagi...and then they get jealous of each other.
Yeah I was never fond of this myself, it's just extremely weird whenever Usagi got jealous of Chibi Usa (their first meeting doesn't count), also Chibi Usa knows from the start that this Mamoru is her father's younger version and yet...
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 04:11   Link #73
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
My impression of Mamoru when I was a kid watching anime on TV is like "Wow what a handsome useless guy", seriously all I remember about him was some of his dramatic entrances, how he threw a rose, said some encouraging lines to Sailor Moon then didn't really do anything and just disappeared. At least he serves some kind of role in the manga.

Yeah I was never fond of this myself, it's just extremely weird whenever Usagi got jealous of Chibi Usa (their first meeting doesn't count), also Chibi Usa knows from the start that this Mamoru is her father's younger version and yet...
At the begining she doesn't know, later she knows, but it is quite normal for a young little girl to want to marry her father. But in the manga there wasn't a lot of moment like this. They don't fight as much over Mamoru. But Black Lady is a whole different story there.

Last edited by minaku; 2014-07-21 at 11:55.
Old 2014-07-21, 08:02   Link #74
ukulelembo
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaku View Post
At the begining she doesn't know, later she knows, but it is quite normal for a young little girl to want to marry her father. But in the manga there wasn't a lot of moment like this. They don't fight as much over Mamoru. But Black Lady is a how different story there.
Takeuchi confirmed that Chibiusa had a little Electra complex. And her Black Lady form it drastically intensified.
ukulelembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 08:30   Link #75
Amalia2611

I really like the fact that they follow the manga closer.... and although the animation in the second episode wasn't as good I enjoyed it... I hope that they will correct the flaws in the rest of the episodes..

I liked Mamoru in the anime but in the manga he is much better. Since they are going to do the manga Mamoru... is FINE by me
Amalia2611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 09:16   Link #76
jhpace1

The word that comes to my mind is "lackluster".

It looks like the production company is trying to cash in on the SM name alone. Yes, the artwork was hit-or-miss, with "miss" being the result. They're trying to make the "pastel" look of the original anime. It's not working. The CGI is limited to the transformation sequences, and it's also not working, there's nothing catching and holding on to your attention. If we asked a new generation of viewers to judge if SMC could stand on its' own, I'm afraid the answer would be "no".

Sailor Moon's "ultrasonic attack" and "police siren hairpieces" are the only things new. Maybe to be represented in a new toy/figurine?

Mamoru isn't just wearing a dinner tuxedo, he's gone full-out with jewelry on the tuxedo as well, like an ambassador at a dance. Why? It doesn't make sense. Unless somehow he's supposed to look like he did in the Moon Kingdom. Most people would attract a lot of attention if you walked down a major city street in full dress military/ambassador style.

Ami-chan...is now different from the 1990s anime, even non-Americanized. Still a bookworm, obsessed with studying as her only outlet for her astounding intelligence. But entirely lacking the confidence, the charm, she had in the original anime. Maybe she'll develop it as the SMC episodes unfold.

Next episode: Rei-chan, who looks even more suspicious and obsessive than ever before.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 10:58   Link #77
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulelembo View Post
. And her Black Lady form it drastically intensified.
That is the only form I can tolerate her in
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2014-07-21, 12:18   Link #78
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
That is the only form I can tolerate her in
Aww, I liked her in the later arcs of the manga Granted, she was merely obnoxious at first, but by the time she discovers her own (future) squad, she's become a lot more likeable.
Maybe I'm a bit weird. I really enjoyed her personality in Parallel Moon as well

Then again, I could not stand her in the anime either, except for comic relief.
Old 2014-07-21, 12:33   Link #79
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Aww, I liked her in the later arcs of the manga Granted, she was merely obnoxious at first, but by the time she discovers her own (future) squad, she's become a lot more likeable.
Maybe I'm a bit weird. I really enjoyed her personality in Parallel Moon as well

Then again, I could not stand her in the anime either, except for comic relief.
She is a very likable character in the manga. Actually she was the second favorite character of the month in Nakayoshi once. But in the anime they have ruined her like Tuxedo Mask. She wasn't even funny there... I guess they used her in order the make the relationship of Mamoru and Usagi even more tuned down and childish... By the way the next episode's animation director has worked on things like Death Note and Soul Eater, so I expect something at least presentable...

Last edited by minaku; 2014-07-21 at 14:40.
Old 2014-07-21, 15:59   Link #80
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
Sailor Moon's "ultrasonic attack" and "police siren hairpieces" are the only things new. Maybe to be represented in a new toy/figurine?
That attack has been around in the original anime. The reason why you may not have noticed it is because it only happened twice in that version: once in the very first episode (which is also based on the very first chapter of the manga), and then later in an episode of SuperS.