AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ouran Host Club

Notices

Old 2006-04-18, 14:46   Link #201
ryublade

I love this show! I like the way the show pokes fun of the typical shoujo elements such as "the first kiss", "the love letter", "the popular, rich, handsome and super smart (usually top ranking) hero" and "the poor heroine who somehow manages to attract several guys although she's no beauty", etc. Even the settings are typical shoujo settings exaggerated. Although, I admit I am still enough of a shoujo addict to root for Haruhi and Tamaki pairing. Maybe it's because I'm a fan of Tamaki, who seems to be in his own magical imaginary world most of time yet still notices the important stuff. (I was also a fan of a certain M-sempai from Honey & Clover who will probably never graduate. Ha Ha )
ryublade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 15:02   Link #202
Zelda1

I am not normally a shoujo fan, but I love this show (Doremi sub is awesome!!!) I have only seen the first ep so far, but seeing BONES' take on the "anti-harem" is terrific and I have no fear of the ending. As one of those who d/l'ed it because of that candy like 'Episode #1' tag, I am very glad I did.
Zelda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 16:07   Link #203
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep 3:

Last edited by hi no ken Jebus; 2006-04-18 at 16:17.
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 16:14   Link #204
Omniscient

Episode 03 Screencaps and Summary

Spoiler:
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 16:31   Link #205
domino
デレデレ

Wow, it seems this show has attacked the entire anime community... everyone I know is in LOVE with it and spreading the love like wildfire! I'm so glad! I wonder if this show deserves its own forum?

Anyway, question: What day/time does this show air in Japan? Just curious... then I know when to expect a fansub. Every time a new episode comes out, it brightens my week and becomes a little "lets watch ouran!" party in my dorm.. :P
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 16:41   Link #206
dxgarten

Episode 03 screencaps and summary

Episode 3 screenshots and summary

Spoiler:

Last edited by dxgarten; 2006-04-18 at 22:51.
dxgarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 18:18   Link #207
Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino
Anyway, question: What day/time does this show air in Japan? Just curious... then I know when to expect a fansub. Every time a new episode comes out, it brightens my week and becomes a little "lets watch ouran!" party in my dorm.. :P
The first airing of this show each week is on Tuesday nights at 24:50 Japan Standard Time on NTV.
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 20:08   Link #208
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Spoiler for episode3:

And, honestly, I can't really make up my mind as to which aspect of Ouran I liked best. This whole episode I couldn't wipe a grin off my face, but the high drama and romance were just as good, and in many respects, superior to slapstick comedy we've had this time. As much as I love Tamaki making a clown of himself, I think that Ouran's strenght is definitely two-fold:

1) Haruhi's rational reactions to all the over-the-top things that go on in Hostobu in particular, and Ouran in general. The way she manages to pierce through all of Tamaki's BS and twirling roses and get to the heart of the matter is just amazing.

2) The dramatic scenes: Ayanokoji, Tohru and Kanako, even Tamaki's pathetic attempts at showing affection for Haruhi are all, in my opinion, making a lot more impact than the whole "Host Club milking the swooning fangirls" subplot, which while being VERY FUNNY, doesn't really add much to the characters.

In fact, I think all of them (especially Tamaki) shine when they get out of their sterotypical roles which they've crafted for the swooning fangirls and really show what they're made of. Episode 2 was especially good in this respect, but episode 3 also had some "out of character" scenes. Hell, even Hani seemed like a real person there for a second (instead of just a "loli-shot-kei" character).

So, yeah, Ouran still rocks, both in the mindless fun and depth-of-field departments. Gotta love BONES. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 20:09   Link #209
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
This week instead of tea cups we get a kite. ^___^ Tamaki looks good in brown hair.

My thoughts on ep. 3 changes from manga.

Spoiler:
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 20:12   Link #210
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
you think this will be the second "haruhi" to get it's own forum too after a few episodes?

I can't wait for the third episodes. curse you all for making me wet my pants

where is that fansub?
Old 2006-04-18, 20:32   Link #211
SmartChick
Future Billionaire

Send a message via AIM to SmartChick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori
This week instead of tea cups we get a kite. ^___^ Tamaki looks good in brown hair.

My thoughts on ep. 3 changes from manga.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by SmartChick; 2006-04-18 at 20:57.
SmartChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 22:52   Link #212
dxgarten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
you think this will be the second "haruhi" to get it's own forum too after a few episodes?
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be as much post on this one as in that other Haruhi.
dxgarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 23:06   Link #213
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Bleach started much like this too... *remembers the days when we had to talk about Bleach in one topics*

I think Host Club will probably eventually gets its own forum... probably.

@ Smartchick. I am glad someone agrees with me.
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 06:09   Link #214
MarmoO

This season best comedy. Haruhi with her straightforwardness is just too cute. It’s much better drawn than manga, especially Haruhi who is pure love here. For me third anime I’ll be definitely watching this season.
MarmoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 07:00   Link #215
Rhys
Interweb crawler

The 2 Haruhis really rule the airwaves this season! Love Ouran High Host Club. The art's cuter than the manga, and the colors they use is simply fabulous. Characters are crazy hilarious, especially Tamaki, but the one who makes this show is Haruhi with her bluntness. The show knows how to poke fun at itself. And it's most befitting that Honey's VA is the same as Momiji from Fruits Basket.
Rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 07:08   Link #216
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Oh yeah, one of the biggest barrel of laughs I've ever seen in just one episode of any anime. But perhaps the funniest thing of all is
Spoiler:
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 11:12   Link #217
AnthyQ

Ouran High Music Vid

Someone's already done a pretty good music video for Ouran here. I dunno how they managed to make it so good with only two episodes to work with, but wow. (Warning for a spice girls song, though.)

I'm just loving the show, myself. It's...so much crack. And since I'm involved in some bishounen and shoujo fandoms, at least peripherally, I recognize all those fangirl stereotypes the show's making fun of.

It's fun...which is part of the reason I got into anime to begin with. Good thing to be reminded of, with all the depressing shows I've been watching recently.

Can't wait till the next episode!
AnthyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 11:23   Link #218
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

After seeing AnthyQ's nick I finally realized what it was that was blinking in the recesses of my mind as I watched this show... Utena: Girl who dresses as guy. Ouran: Girl who dresses as guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxgarten
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be as much post on this one as in that other Haruhi.
It would be really cool if it did... but yea.. this doesn't seem to have the astronomical rise in post counts th other Haruhi had.

maa... gambaru shikanai deshou

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 12:01   Link #219
Decel

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
this doesn't seem to have the astronomical rise in post counts th other Haruhi had.
I think it's just a situation where a great show is being eclipsed by a phenomenon.

Ouran's still good though, and I'm looking forward to Lunar's release (assuming Friday) which takes time, but at least they don't do v2/v3/v4.../v99 fixes often (I have bandwidth quotas, so it's a huge matter for me).

I really like the comedy/serious mix. The last combo that pulled this off in recent memory was HiMM which was sadly short and open-ended.
Decel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 13:53   Link #220
Gryff
England ~_~

Episode three is great, can they make every episode of this series as good?
I hope so!
Gryff is offline   Reply With Quote