AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-10-19, 20:48   Link #2581
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyoti View Post
Wait what?

Spoiler for spoilers:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-10-20, 08:42   Link #2582
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayate-sama View Post
God, I cannot go through the book yet both with time and skill but Aria has already been released in the Dengekibunko magazine so it probably don't have many changes, rondo on the other hand is not sure .
Funny how we don't need a full translation for Progressive, considering that more than half of it's content is already translated (albeit using web novel manuscripts) But considering that Warmth of the Heart and the other side stories published only had minor changes there shouldn't be much changes.

Also, I just noticed that the Monochrome Concierto translation past ch. 1 got taken down. Huh.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 15:42   Link #2583
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Well, good, now's as good a time as any to go though that translation and make it read properly in English.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 16:04   Link #2584
Awrya
U mad?

The Progressive illustrations are pretty much the same as the side stories, though they added a few more. 001, does Kawahara intend to publish volumes in the triple digits?
Old 2012-10-21, 01:09   Link #2585
bludvein

It feels like the Progressive illustrations were heavily influenced by the anime.
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 09:35   Link #2586
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
The Progressive illustrations are pretty much the same as the side stories, though they added a few more. 001, does Kawahara intend to publish volumes in the triple digits?
You know, if Progressive got a full Anime Adaptation, I'd think it would easily match those Huge 100+ Shounen Manga Anime adaptation series.

SAO Progressive: Action Shounen
ALO: Action Shounen
GGO: Seinen
Mother's Rosario: Healing/Tragedy/Family.
Alicization: Seinen.

Anyway, here's to hoping that Lizbeth and Scilla get's more DEBAN in Progressive!
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 09:40   Link #2587
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyoti View Post
Wait what?

Spoiler for spoilers:
Spoiler for reply, alicization end spoilers:
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 10:11   Link #2588
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Spoiler for reply, alicization end spoilers:
He wasn't talking about that.

Spoiler for spoilers web novel:
Old 2012-10-21, 12:26   Link #2589
Zeriand
Banned

Ugh, this week's episode made me remember more details about ALO than I actually want to. This is the only arc where the villain is a horrendous creep with a world creepily designed to corrupt its residents. Ugh.
Zeriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 12:28   Link #2590
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeriand View Post
Ugh, this week's episode made me remember more details about ALO than I actually want to. This is the only arc where the villain is a horrendous creep with a world creepily designed to corrupt its residents. Ugh.
What do you mean with this? The normal players aren't being corrupted or do you mean the 300 caught SAO players?
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 12:47   Link #2591
Divini
Senpai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
What do you mean with this? The normal players aren't being corrupted or do you mean the 300 caught SAO players?
Normal players - the way the game is designed initially is that it encourages betrayal, greed, corruption, barbarism (strong take what they want from the weak). Not surprising at all knowing the personality of its "god".

Kirito said so himself with the cait sith and sylphs agreeing.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 12:52   Link #2592
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
Normal players - the way the game is designed initially is that it encourages betrayal, greed, corruption, barbarism (strong take what they want from the weak). Not surprising at all knowing the personality of its "god".

Kirito said so himself with the cait sith and sylphs agreeing.
You are right, I forgot that part.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 13:02   Link #2593
Zeriand
Banned

Yeah. Even the world's biggest objective is to make it so that only one clan has the rights to meet with 'God' and be granted any wish (possible) in ALO, except that it is impossible unless the clans are united.

And then there's this retarded shit where they try to pile up a tonne of people and 'Rocket Fly' towards the World Tree, and the GM got scared and put a skyshield that prevents further ascend.

... God this has to be one of the most annoying arcs in SAO, even though the anime is done unusually well. I can almost imagine the part where Kirito tries to break through the 'impossible' gate and the million Guardians swarming up against him with Suguho's evil smile on it. F.
Old 2012-10-21, 13:47   Link #2594
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
Carebears spotted!

Implying that anything other than meaningless pvp and copy-pasta pve are "bad".

Not every MMO need to be a happy pve theme park where people sit around and sing kumbya, where the pvp are about as meaningful as the trash you tossed out last week.

It also doesn't mean that people who enjoy pvp-centric games are "corrupted", leave those to people who can't separate real life from video games.

Quote:
Yeah. Even the world's biggest objective is to make it so that only one clan has the rights to meet with 'God' and be granted any wish (possible) in ALO, except that it is impossible unless the clans are united.
actually no, it's impossible period.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 14:16   Link #2595
Zeriand
Banned

We're not saying that PvPs are bad; we're saying that ALO is designed to intentionally corrupt players morally. There are many aspects of the game that are set to be unfair, such as the Ultimate Objective in ALO: To reach the World Tree and meet God to have on of your wishes granted, is impossible because the bastard never intended anyone to do that in the first place. One of the examples I've stated is the immediate sky blockade after the players almost succeeded in rocket jumping towards the World Tree.

A normal game wouldn't have set an impossible objective at the first place; all the bastard wants to do is to show off that he has absolute power in that world and toy around with his residents like a God would do, and this God has a shitty taste for misery and evil.

The World Tree was actually a research center where he does horrible experiments on 300 patients he managed to 'slip' and trap in ALO - if I remember correctly, even the clans fighting was in a way an experiment for him.
Old 2012-10-21, 14:24   Link #2596
Therrester

Hey everyone. I'd hate to stop the current discussion but I have a quick question regarding the Light Novels.

I first became aware of the series due to the anime and watched it in entirety in one evening. Strictly saying, I loved my experience. As such, i read volumes 1 though 4 these past two days and am now extremely glad that Kirito saved Asuna.

Thing is though, I'm reluctant to keep on reading because most of my love for the series is due to Asuna and Kirito's devotion to one another and their quest to be together. Now that they are, I'm afraid that the later novels will focus on other aspects of the story and throw their relationship into the background. Since that easily my favorite aspect of the series, I don't think I'll enjoy the later novels as much if their relationship isn't one of the center parts of the novel.

So, if I continue reading, will I be disappointed regarding this? Or will it still be a main presence within the volumes while the story progresses in a different manner?

Again, I apologise for stopping the discussion to ask this. Hope it's not an issue.
Therrester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 14:33   Link #2597
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
We're not saying that PvPs are bad; we're saying that ALO is designed to intentionally corrupt players morally.
Which is false to begin with, and is no better than those crazy politicians who blame video games for "corrupting the youth" and causing young people to go out and commit crimes.

In Eve Online, there's no such thing as consensual PVP, you can get shot at and killed EVERYWHERE, market scams, political backstabbing are common place, and guess what? it is one of the most vibrant MMO world of them all. Decisions you make matter because the losses are real, friends matter because trust is the most valuable commodity in the universe, and the political intrigues have led to some of the most amazing stories of any games.

And guess what, it doesn't make eve players any more morally corrupt than anyone else, thank you very much.

Quote:
There are many aspects of the game that are set to be unfair, such as the Ultimate Objective in ALO: To reach the World Tree and meet God to have on of your wishes granted, is impossible because the bastard never intended anyone to do that in the first place.
Which has no bearing on the rest of the game.

Quote:
One of the examples I've stated is the immediate sky blockade after the players almost succeeded in rocket jumping towards the World Tree.
It would've been so even if ALO was completely legit, you don't get to skip your way to the final reward without having to put in the work in ANY game.

Quote:
A normal game wouldn't have set an impossible objective at the first place; all the bastard wants to do is to show off that he has absolute power in that world and toy around with his residents like a God would do, and this God has a shitty taste for misery and evil.
Nope, now that's just your blind hatre for Sugou talking. He doesn't care about ALO the game one way or the other beyond it continue to function as a screen for his research project.

Quote:
if I remember correctly, even the clans fighting was in a way an experiment for him.
you remembered wrong.
Old 2012-10-21, 14:38   Link #2598
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therrester View Post
Hey everyone. I'd hate to stop the current discussion but I have a quick question regarding the Light Novels.

I first became aware of the series due to the anime and watched it in entirety in one evening. Strictly saying, I loved my experience. As such, i read volumes 1 though 4 these past two days and am now extremely glad that Kirito saved Asuna.

Thing is though, I'm reluctant to keep on reading because most of my love for the series is due to Asuna and Kirito's devotion to one another and their quest to be together. Now that they are, I'm afraid that the later novels will focus on other aspects of the story and throw their relationship into the background. Since that easily my favorite aspect of the series, I don't think I'll enjoy the later novels as much if their relationship isn't one of the center parts of the novel.

So, if I continue reading, will I be disappointed regarding this? Or will it still be a main presence within the volumes while the story progresses in a different manner?

Again, I apologise for stopping the discussion to ask this. Hope it's not an issue.
Kirito and Asuna's relation continue to be one of the central tenets of their character, but the later stories arcs also explores into other topics. Keep in mind that while the Kirito x Asuna relationship is important, SAO is by no means a romance story, if you're expecting romance to be a central focus, you're going to be disappointed.
Old 2012-10-21, 14:55   Link #2599
Therrester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Kirito and Asuna's relation continue to be one of the central tenets of their character, but the later stories arcs also explores into other topics. Keep in mind that while the Kirito x Asuna relationship is important, SAO is by no means a romance story, if you're expecting romance to be a central focus, you're going to be disappointed.
Thanks for your reply. By no means am I solely interested in a pure romance novel. The actions still remains my mean focus; I just enjoyed the romance side of things more this time around.

I'll probably give the next few novels a shot when I have more free time. But, thanks again for clearing up a couple things. I'm sure I'll enjoy it either way.
Therrester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 16:56   Link #2600
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therrester View Post
Thanks for your reply. By no means am I solely interested in a pure romance novel. The actions still remains my mean focus; I just enjoyed the romance side of things more this time around.
Well, in GGO Asuna only has some cameo appearances, so take it as you will.

Mother's Rosario, on the other hand, is all about Asuna (and my favorite volume). Though in this case Kirito is the one relegated to a few cameo appearances.

It's really only in Alicization when we get to see a bit more of both together again.

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality