AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-07-06, 15:57   Link #101
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
This probably means Federer will lose his number one spot by the end of the year. It will be intresting to see how long Nadal can maintain his position. Also be intresting to watch how Federer responds. Hopefully now they will trade number one and number two spots in a series of epic finals!

And yes Rafa has proved himself to be one of the all time greats in my opinion. He may not win as many majors as Federer (or he may, who knows) but IMO he is the toughest competitor to walk on a tennis court. Federer falling just behind, he's pretty tough too .

I think this guy was born to beat Federer, seriously. If Rafa wasn't around it would just be utter dominance and unfair
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 16:09   Link #102
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi-san View Post
This probably means Federer will lose his number one spot by the end of the year.
If Federer can win the U.S. Open again, he'll keep his number 1, but honestly he doesn't even deserve to be it this year considering Rafa's two Grand Slam wins.

@Kinny_Riddle

Federer failed so many times on break points in the first two sets that really bit his ass in the end. And then almost all of Nadal's shanks on Federer's serve in the last set kept going in that made me go to tears (But Federer should've still been able to win the point so it is still his fault).

There is also the thing to consider that Wimbledon is much slower than it was in 2003 when Federer won it. Wimbledon is no longer the same type of tournament it used to be.

Although, I think it all came down to Federer's mental lapsing throughout the match, especially at the end with his serving.

For all its worth Nadal is my second favorite player on tour, so the loss is only 3/4 as devastating as it was today.

This U.S. Open is going to be really interesting if Nadal can actually transition and if you consider the devastating defeats Federer has gone through this year. I hope he doesn't end up like Borg.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 18:01   Link #103
Blizzer
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzer View Post
I predict Nadal to win the mens and Venus to win the womens.
In hindsight I should have put money on it.

Amazing match, Federer played spectacularly, I don't think anyone can say he played bad tennis, but Nadal really deserved to win he's really stepped up his game this season.
If rain hadn't interrupted play Federer might have got a lead because of Nadal's dodgy knee.

I interpreted Federer's remark that "I will be back next year" as you better watch your back Nadal.

It was such an edge of your seat match! I hope we get to see more surprises next Wimbledon.
Blizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 18:59   Link #104
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzer View Post
Amazing match, Federer played spectacularly, I don't think anyone can say he played bad tennis, but Nadal really deserved to win he's really stepped up his game this season.
I'll agree with the bolded since Federer refuses to improve his game against this guy, but Federer did not play that great for his standards. Considering all his break chances, bad service spurts, and his amount of errrors, I would never consider it good tennis from him. Nadal on the other hand played amazing. I just wish we could've had the 2004 Federer come out today.
Old 2008-07-07, 02:58   Link #105
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Not really, just because Federer lost one tournement out of the amount he won, doubtful. He just has to prove that he can keep the top spot.

As for Wimbledon 2008, it was the best match I have ever watched. Federer coming back from a 0-2 set making it 2-2 and Nadal was ecstatic. He truely deserved to win it!

Congrats to Spain, first Euro and Wimbledon!
Old 2008-07-07, 06:35   Link #106
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachikun View Post
Not really, just because Federer lost one tournement out of the amount he won, doubtful. He just has to prove that he can keep the top spot.

As for Wimbledon 2008, it was the best match I have ever watched. Federer coming back from a 0-2 set making it 2-2 and Nadal was ecstatic. He truely deserved to win it!

Congrats to Spain, first Euro and Wimbledon!
A 4h 40min+ match: You don't get such matches every day.
Old 2008-08-27, 06:06   Link #107
Kakashi
カカシ

US Open begins!

From The Punch
The Spaniard eventually vanquished his German opponent 7-6 (7-4) 6-3 7-6 (7-4) at Flushing Meadows on Monday.

There were easy wins for fourth seed David Ferrer, who beat Martin Vassalo Arguello, and seventh seed David Nalbandian, who overcame Marcos Daniel.

But ninth seed James Blake needed five sets to overcome fellow American Donald Young 6-1 3-6 6-1 4-6 6-4.

Blake looked poised to make quick work of Young, leading two sets to one and up 2-0 in the fourth before the left-hander hit back to take the match to a deciding set.

“Donald really picked up his game and really played great towards the end of the match,” said Blake, who committed 50 unforced errors in the match.

Gael Monfils was an early winner on the first day‘s play in New York, the Frenchman crushing Pablo Cuevas of Uruguay 6-4 6-4 6-1, while 10th seed Stanislas Wawrinka beat Simone Bolelli 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 6-3.

Jurgen Melzer upset 27th seed Feliciano Lopez 4-6 7-6 (7-5) 6-2 2-6 6-4, with Britain’s Andy Murray a possible third-round opponent for the Austrian.

Nadal, 22, needed almost three hours to see off a determined challenge from qualifier Phau in the Arthur Ashe Stadium.

From ATP website
Four-time defending champion and No. 2 seed Roger Federer took sole possession of the Open Era winning streak at the US Open, taking his unbeaten run to 28 straight matches as he defeated Argentine qualifier Maximo Gonzalez 6-3, 6-0, 6-3 on Tuesday at Flushing Meadows. The Swiss previously shared the record with Ivan Lendl, who won the US Open title from 1985 to 1987 but lost in the 1988 final.

Federer needed just one hour and 22 minutes to close out the first round victory, as he fired 15 aces and converted on seven of his 13 break point chances against Gonzalez, who was making his first US Open appearance.

"I thought I really served well and I thought I moved really well for the first round, and that's positive for a start," said Federer, whose last loss at the US Open came in the 2003 fourth round against David Nalbandian.

This marks the first time since the 2004 Australian Open that Federer is not the top seed at a Grand Slam tournament. He was seeded No. 2 at that event, and went on to capture the title. He said: "One or two is always pretty much the same thing. No, the change I feel is fans are really supporting me and telling me I'm still No. 1 and still the best, You're going to be there again and stuff. So I feel like I've got unbelievable support from the fans watching me and seeing people in the streets and stuff. It's kind of really nice."

Federer is trying to become the first man since Bill Tilden in 1924 to win five consecutive titles at the US Open, and next confronts Brazilian Thiago Alves, who battled to a 4-6, 1-6, 6-1, 7-6(2), 6-4 win over Chile's Paul Capdeville. The 26-year-old Alves is currently ranked No. 137 and is playing in his first ATP-level tournament this season.

Spoiler for Full interview with Number 2 seed. From US Open Website.:

Russian Marat Safin, the US Open champion of 2000, fought through a tough first round match against Vincent Spadea, defeating the American 3-6, 6-2, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 on Arthur Ashe stadium on Tuesday at Flushing Meadows.
Old 2008-09-07, 23:13   Link #108
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Jelena Jankovich goes down in quite a horrid match. The WTA today is extremely horrid, there is no great quality of play like days of Steffi and Nartinalova and Viccario and Seles and.. well you get it.

Men's final tomorrow. Murray vs Federer. I'm not fully confident in Federer, but my prediction is 3:1 Federer. Murray did Federer a favor by upsetting Nadal; he's probably doing somersaults at this moment.
Old 2008-09-08, 06:59   Link #109
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
.... probably doing somersaults at this moment.
Had to agree. However, Murray did win by 3-1, and Nadal's game on hardcourts has only gotten better thus far, so Federer better not underestimate his opponent.
Old 2008-09-08, 10:00   Link #110
Kakashi
カカシ

After Nadal went two sets down, Federer was in a win-win situation. If Nadal climbed his way back and won it in five, exhaustion would have set in during the final. Then there's the alternative, Murray pulling through, which happened. He's in his first Grand Slam final and Federer has never lost to a first time finalist. Still, Murrays on form and the seemingly unfathonable sporting achievements keep coming for Britain. So expect a focused Federer tonight.
Old 2008-09-08, 10:08   Link #111
MagicaLideaL
Madder Sky~
*Graphic Designer

Well i don't really think Murray has any chance to win. Federer is so on form and the only one Federer fear was Nadal... Noone else can make Federer fear like what Nadal did. The style of Murray is almost same like Djokovic and it's not better than the third seed. Federer can really hander Murray easily. I am afraid this will be an easy final for Federer that has no challenge at all and maybe 3 straight sets
MagicaLideaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 10:24   Link #112
Kakashi
カカシ

I don't think Federer fears Nadal, after all in interviews he claimed to enjoy matches with him. Before the Wimbledon final he said bring on the challenge and went on to play a part in the best match ever. I read a similar statement from him a few days ago. To be honest, Nadal's style can trouble Federer. But then Nadal seems to raise his game every time they play, maybe the adrenaline rush that comes with playing the world number one. Or perhaps, being the underdog, he can simply let loose. Bear in mind Nadal is probably the toughest competitor ever to play the game. Additionally he works harder than anyone.

I'd have to agree that Federer is the favourite tonight.
Old 2008-09-08, 14:30   Link #113
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I hate CBS coverage and I also hate the tournament director's decisions. Match is 5 P.M. Eastern. I live on the West Coast so it is 2 o'clock for me. I won't be there because of work, so I miss this special little match. grr.

Anyway, I don't agree that Federer is back in form. He will never be like his '05 or '06 self ever again.
Old 2008-09-08, 20:42   Link #114
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Looks like I ate my words. Thank you Roger for pulling off this inspiring victory. 6-2 7-5 6-2. You looked a bit like your old self today.
Old 2008-09-20, 06:03   Link #115
Blerghovic
Meh

For anyone who wants to remember the greatness of this year's wimbledon final again, here's the epitome of it's epicness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIH9bLfiAzw

Also, for anyone who wants look at Federer's best tennis, here's two great matches (both last season, Andy Roddick vs Roger Federer AO 2007 and David Ferrer vs Roger Federer TMC 2007, I recommend you watch in High Quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdQm_B9jKYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4GcCffJ_as
Old 2009-02-01, 08:18   Link #116
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Oh my, poor Federer. Rafa beats him, again, at the Australian Open. Gripping match. Federer was back in form, but Nadal was, again, too fast for him in the end.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 08:44   Link #117
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

What an amazing final. Though not as epic and grueling as Nadal's 5-set match with Verdasco a few days ago, but still, Nadal shows not only can he win on clay and grass, he can now win Grand Slams in hard court as well. All that's left is the US Open and he'll achieve the career Grand Slam.

Poor Federer. He was so close to equaling Pete Sampras's record of 14 Grand Slams. To see him cry like that was heart-wrenching, even Nadal felt so sorry he had to go and embrace and comfort him. I hope he picks himself soon enough and get his no. 14 and beyond. He too is just one Slam short of his own career Grand Slam, but one man, Nadal, keeps getting in his way.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 14:43   Link #118
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I thought Federer was going to lose this match.

His game matches up really badly to Nadal. Nadal's serve goes into his backhand on the ad court (Making break point conversions difficult), Nadal hits high loopy forehands to Federer's backhand, Nadal gets to Federer's nonreturnable shots and hits a winner off of them, Nadal never gives up, and Nadal never misses in pressure situations.

Federer may not win a slam this year. To see him bawl in the trophy ceremony was quite sad.

But lets get real, Federer played a terrible match, and then basically handed over the match to Nadal in the 5th set. He served 52% for the match, and could not convert any breakpoints when necessary. He's just too passive on breakpoints, he needs to run around and hit a forehand, or at least try to tee off on one or two of those backhands. Nadal goes for broke against Fed, and gets quite a few points that way, there is something to be learned here.

Federer needs to learn to be more aggressive, higher a new coach (He desperately needs one right now), and most of all get a psychologist to stop Fed from getting so tight against Nadal. Every time he plays Nadal, he looks afraid.

Federer's potential GOAT status just went down the tube today, I don't see him coming back against Nadal to make that 6-13 record any better. All credit to Nadal though, fantastic player who never gives up. He has the right mind set of a champion, he knows truly how to compete. In a year or two people may start hyping him up as the GOAT, since I doubt Federer has much resistance left in him at this point. I would not be surprised if Federer loses before the FO finals this year.
Old 2009-05-31, 11:54   Link #119
Kakashi
カカシ

King of clay

Spoiler for you called?:

Spoiler for Just as planned:
Old 2009-05-31, 12:56   Link #120
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I had a feeling that Nadal was going to lose this FO, that;s why I put Federer to win in my draw. Federer has so much pressure now with both Nadal and Djokovic out. This is an unbelievable result.

Tags
tennis