AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-08, 19:16   Link #41
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I really wonder, why they were so surprised about the dragon.
I mean they've already met Giants, Dinosaurs and Sea Creatures larger than islands. A dragon seems not very impressive compared to all this.
I guess dragons are just as mythical in the OP universe as they are in our world...
Old 2012-02-08, 20:14   Link #42
Mateus

After reading the chapter I'm not sure if the legs guy meant the Shichibukai as an ally or as an enemy...
Old 2012-02-08, 20:31   Link #43
animeffs13240
V for Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
After reading the chapter I'm not sure if the legs guy meant the Shichibukai as an ally or as an enemy...
well with the force the strawhats were attacked by, i think he was thinking the shichibukai were the enemies IMO, but now that you mention it it would be build up tension in the future if he meant them as allies (im just gonna use my imagination)
Old 2012-02-08, 21:02   Link #44
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
The legs guy seems to be enemies with the Shichibukai.

On a different note, is it just me or is it getting a bit tiresome with all the plot lines involving Shichibukai? I was hoping to see some non Yonkou non Shichibukai and yet still powerful pirate groups..especially in the New World.
Old 2012-02-08, 21:21   Link #45
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
The legs guy seems to be enemies with the Shichibukai.

On a different note, is it just me or is it getting a bit tiresome with all the plot lines involving Shichibukai? I was hoping to see some non Yonkou non Shichibukai and yet still powerful pirate groups..especially in the New World.
I was too, I was hoping to see some of the Supernovas even as early as Punk Hazard. But I think as long as the World Government is in alliance with the Shichibukai then I think they are plenty plot relevant, especially since we still don't know too much about Doflamingo and Mihawk, and there should be a few new ones to replace Jimbei, Moria, & Blackbeard (unless one of them is Buggy then we only need to know who two of them are )
Old 2012-02-08, 21:35   Link #46
james0246

Considering that people are still complaining about Luffy's victory over Moria some 200 chapters after the fact, I would say that showing Luffy standing on equal terms with a Shichibukai is a must before anyone is willing to accept him legitimately standing up to an Admiral or a Yonkou.
Old 2012-02-08, 21:54   Link #47
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
I was too, I was hoping to see some of the Supernovas even as early as Punk Hazard. But I think as long as the World Government is in alliance with the Shichibukai then I think they are plenty plot relevant, especially since we still don't know too much about Doflamingo and Mihawk, and there should be a few new ones to replace Jimbei, Moria, & Blackbeard (unless one of them is Buggy then we only need to know who two of them are )
Heh what if it's both?
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Considering that people are still complaining about Luffy's victory over Moria some 200 chapters after the fact, I would say that showing Luffy standing on equal terms with a Shichibukai is a must before anyone is willing to accept him legitimately standing up to an Admiral or a Yonkou.
True. We know that Luffy's fight with Big Mom is coming and some poeple seem skeptical about whether or not he should be able to beat her. However we don't know exactly when they will meet up and as such, Luffy has time to build up his rep. Beating down a shichibukai in a straight up one-on-one fight should do that very well.
Old 2012-02-08, 22:00   Link #48
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
I mean they've already met Giants, Dinosaurs and Sea Creatures larger than islands. A dragon seems not very impressive compared to all this.
People who believe in prophecy babbling burning bushes redicule fantasies of others.

Last edited by aohige; 2012-02-08 at 22:38.
Old 2012-02-08, 22:06   Link #49
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 656
That was a good chapter. Zoro and Luffy make a pretty good team. Zoro was awesome cutting the head off that Dragon. I am glad there is a Shichibukai in this arch. That is weird seeing a guy cut in half. I wonder if the Fleet Admiral Akainu has a tighter grip on the Shichibukai? Why would they be worried if they were pirates and or not? Shichibukai do not care who they kill. Good thing Brook does not need to breath air, he got away.
Old 2012-02-08, 22:15   Link #50
hero147

Fleet Admiral Akainu has no control over the Shichibukai. The marines and the Shichibukai are 2 different entities of the World Government.
Old 2012-02-08, 22:22   Link #51
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
Good thing Brook does not need to breath air, he got away.
Actually you can see him down on the ground in the panel where Sanji discovers everyone sleeping... So he apperently was effected. However, It seems like he might have still gotten away since it doesn't sound like he wasn't included in the head count (2 humans, a cyborg and a pet); They probably left him behind thinking that he was a skeleton... ofcourse he IS a skeleton! Skull joke!
Old 2012-02-08, 22:28   Link #52
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

^
I did not see that at all my mistake. I figured he would be unaffected by the gas. They miscounted then. They only counted four bodies. Did they count brook or sanji?

Hero147
The WG gave the Marines more authority due to Aokiji leaving. So who knows what the three parties are like now.
Old 2012-02-08, 22:30   Link #53
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Haha, just noticed him - those guys must've been like "WTH are these guys doing with a dressed up skeleton on deck" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Actually you can see him down on the ground in the panel where Sanji discovers everyone sleeping... So he apperently was effected. However, It seems like he might have still gotten away since it doesn't sound like he wasn't included in the head count (2 humans, a cyborg and a pet); They probably left him behind thinking that he was a skeleton... ofcourse he IS a skeleton! Skull joke!
Also, if there were 3 Shichibukai positions available, Law could've joined them just for precaution, like Blackbeard did - seeing as he was careful and didn't rush into the New World right away... His power works kind of like Blueno's, who made Luffy's head rotate like a revolving door
Old 2012-02-09, 01:35   Link #54
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
probably because giants, dinosaurs and sea kings are more common compared to dragons. perhaps in their world the dragons are believed to be extinct.

and in fairness to oda's writing, it's not as if he pulled that idea of dragons out of his ass. he did hint on their existence when ryuuma appeared in one piece. so it's not that farfetched.
Old 2012-02-09, 01:43   Link #55
paradox13
zzz

Quote:
I would say that showing Luffy standing on equal terms with a Shichibukai is a must before anyone is willing to accept him legitimately standing up to an Admiral or a Yonkou.
Fair enough, but I really don't think there is a single Power level for Shichibukai, especially considering there are 7 of them.

Even the individual emperors and admirals are different in strength compared to each other.
Old 2012-02-09, 09:17   Link #56
golgo13

Thought for a while about Law becoming a Shichibukai and perhaps working with teaming up with Vegapunk on biological experiments. Even looking at the masked intruders on the straw hat ship thinking it could be the heart crew looking at their relative sizes; although jean bart is much bigger so probably not. Just couldn't believe that Law would become a Shichibukai unless forced, even though a guy like flamingo is one for convenience so who knows..

Another note is the blackbeard pirates are stealing devil fruit powers so in the future things could get confusing unless it is revealed one of their crew members is responsible. It does seem like they need to kill in order to get the powers and I doubt any of the supernovas have been killed yet.

So ya, another possibility is that buggy can now able to chop others up as well as himself.. But i don't see him as a shichibukai (if he became one) that would hang around doing experiments, he is prob looking for treasure and trouble
Old 2012-02-09, 11:20   Link #57
marvelB

In all honesty, I'm not really surprised that the Straw-Hats are tangling with a warlord so soon after their arrival in the NW. It pretty much mirrors how they got involved with Crocodile upon first entering the Grand Line's first half, after all. That being said, I'm still going to assume for now that this warlord is a new character rather than someone we're already familiar with (even if I am eagerly awaiting the great Buggy's return ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post

Hey, you also forgot to mention Crocodile! But yeah, I do agree with you. Luffy beating a Shichibukai in a straight-up fight now would definitely make the difference between his pre-skip and current self much more clear (even if I still have my doubts about him being capable of beating any admirals or emperors at this point). After all, Hody just didn't cut it, even if Luffy acknowledged him as being on the level of a supernova (and that was a power gained from excessive substance abuse).....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
People who believe in prophecy babbling burning bushes redicule fantasies of others.
Not to mention we even saw Luffy literally kick a god's ass long before the skip.
Old 2012-02-09, 13:40   Link #58
paradox13
zzz

Quote:
This is a surprisingly profound post. Sounds like something straight from Nietzsche.
Old 2012-02-10, 08:07   Link #59
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

^Er, I wasn't trying to hijack the thread with religious discussion.

Rather, simply pointing out that people who have no problem beliving in one unlikely story can still have problem accepting equally ridiculous tale.
Hence, "having Giants and Devil Fruits and whatnot as reality doesn't necessary mean they believe in Dragons".
Old 2012-02-10, 09:39   Link #60
james0246

^I'm fairly certain philip72 was just having a good natured go at paradox.

Whatever the case, yes believing in giants is not the same as believing in dragons (and vice versa depending on where you are in the One Piece universe), so of course the suspicion on the part of the Strawhats is justified. (Truthfully, I was unclear as to why they didn't first think of dinosaurs, considering they have actually seen, fought, and eaten dinosaurs in the past. After the whole 'breathing-fire-thing' though, dragon was a justifiable guess, but dinosaur would have worked just as well previous to that.)
Closed Thread