AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-04, 23:45   Link #261
herbert

Best Promo of the Year.

Simply states it's going to air with some background noise.

So impressive.
Old 2007-04-04, 23:50   Link #262
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
That was an interesting promo for sure.
It was genius! I watched it three times in complete awe.

I wonder how long it took Stratos to translate it.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 23:56   Link #263
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post

I think he spent more time laughing than actually translating it. I can only imagine the giggles as the [a.f.k.] team uploaded it.

Natch.
Old 2007-04-04, 23:57   Link #264
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Probably took it 15 minutes to translate...

...plus 5 hours of encoding :P.
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 00:05   Link #265
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post

Yes, I have to admit that it actually gets to you after you watch it a few times.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2007-04-05 at 00:18.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 03:06   Link #266
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
What a great way to wake up, I mean me watching this commercial.

For some seconds I almost expected a weird noise a la uguu or unyuu.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 03:11   Link #267
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
That promo was made of sheer brilliance.
DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 04:29   Link #268
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WD9D2RTk3s

For lazy downloaders... Here's a Youtube promo for you...
~Tsukuyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 04:48   Link #269
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Or it could be a sign of how much this show is hyped. Not many CMs imo will contain only 1 minute of a character snoring with only broadcasting info at the very end.
Was there another CM for this? The a.f.k. subbed one contained 14 seconds of footage, if you can call it that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Not releasing much video promo material until this CM is a sign of a hyped series imo. They didn't really need to do much advertising. It's been talked about since last year with Kyo-Ani's involvement. They add a Wii controller for coolness factor and let viral advertising do all the work. They have truly avoided the normal scrutiny. No trailers on the website. Nothing at TAF that has made its way to YouTube.

Fans of Kanon wouldn't let them get away with something like this imo. They'd want to scrutinize the animation product of a cherished franchise imo.
I don't really agree with that. I think the sign of a hyped series is releasing DVDs of promo footage before a show airs like what was done with Kanon and Fate Stay Night IIRC. The situation with this show is similar to the Haruhi one where there was little to no footage shown beforehand as someone already mentioned.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 05:37   Link #270
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Releasing promo footage is advertising for a series. Besides Kanon had its footage also in magazines before that DVD was released and had an interview on that DVD.

Oops, it was only 14 secs. Sorry.

------

I really didn't see anything funny about that promo at all. Compared to the other 15 sec promo that was out (Darker than BLACK, Guardian of the Sacred Spirit) this definitely was rock bottom imo. Very little to no animation was involved. Not even a hint of the type of background music used. I suppose if you want to say that they want to keep people in the dark until the first episode, then they've succeeded. Then this would again imply hype and viral advertising over traditional method of advertising imo.

Last edited by orion; 2007-04-05 at 06:03.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 06:02   Link #271
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Then this would again imply hype and viral advertising over traditional method of advertising imo.
Show me the "viral advertising" of it, by it, I mean trucks, bus, walls or floors covering with ads of Lucky Star, anything that implies "Lucky Star is everywhere!"
Old 2007-04-05, 06:13   Link #272
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

This thread is an example of viral advertising as is any other thread that deals with it meaning that the series is relying on word of mouth via the otaku population (like what happened with Haruhi in R1 , asosbrigade.com is a prime example of viral advertising as was the AoD announcement). It also had magazine articles (traditional advertising), but no real video footage that made it's way to YouTube or on its website. TAF is pretty big and nothing from that whereas Clannad was there. Even the website was pretty sparse on info.

Now look at the other releases. Darker than BLACK blitzed us. Guardian of the Sacred Spirit had loads of trailers. Reideen had a 1st ep free viewing and the Production IG blog reports. Heck, even Clannad TV put out a promo and has Kanon fans collecting stuff to receive more promo material. I can go on with the list of promos of titles for this season, but Random Curiosity has a summary for that.

Last edited by orion; 2007-04-05 at 06:27.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 06:14   Link #273
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

Hah, nice promo. But again, this seems to reinforce my assumption that this will be the next Haruhi, popularity-wise, or at least trying for it. They have practically limitless potential to play with here, after all.
Sai the Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 07:29   Link #274
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I'm in WTF-mode right now.....

Interesting promo, that's for sure.

Still not going to make me budge from my initial position of waiting for the positive blurbs before I commit to this, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Too late! What the hell did I just see????!!!! Oh right an anime promo. *shiver*. Nothing more or less than usual really for an anime promo, told us absolutely nothing about the show other than the name and air date and...well at least it didn't have crappy music so its better than most.

It's not that they don't care about the promo its that they don't have to because a) Nobody else has set the bar very high for anime promos and b) No matter what it'll sell because of the company doing it by fans who really need to think with there heads and not with their guts anc c) Those fans need to think like William Jefferson Clinton and not like George Walker Bush when contemplating what an anime will be based on evidence so you get the truth presented to you with a shocker (huh?). Kyoto Animation probably realize that the hype fans have created surrounding them that is beyond their control and potentially dangerous for this series needed to be stifled John "Settle Down" Stewart style. (Basically Fans: "WOOOOOOO KYOTO Animation" *Standing Ovation* "WOOOOOOOO WE LOVE YOU, IT'S GOING TO BE THE ENLIGHTENING ALL OVER AGAIN WOOOOOOO!" *Whistle* and then the commerical is Kyoto Animation going "settle down". Basically almost every episode of the Daily Show begins this way before he's even had a chance to do anything or describe the program for the night. Only replace the audience with Kyoto fans and Kyoto with John Stewart.)

As long as its funny I'm good. I don't think Kyoto Animation needs to prove anything with each new series because I haven't expected much from them since I first learned of them, they do high quality adaptations in my eyes and thats about. I will give them props for being humble about things and not trying to push the series as something it clearly isn't like a lot of deceitful companies.

Anyway leave it to Aya Hirano to do something really goofy and bizarre with a character. Seriously the girl should stick with what she's good at. I think I'm going to like this series as long as the KyoAni fanboys can keep themselves restrained and not start some sort of Jehovah's Witness style religion where they go to every website posting nonsense and screwing with episode ratings and summaries. The more everybody keeps things real the more I find I like talking about series with people and in turn watching them. I mean its cool to be psyched and like something a lot and even too be silly when joking about a show, but when people stop using logic in posts and opinions and they believe something too be true that isn't based on gut feeling or bias, than it becomes hard to take anything relating to a show seriously or too have fun with it.
There there, settle down, Kaioshin-oneesama.

And before you go off again, I'll like to put things in perspective for you; this is going to be one heck of a silly show. That means, if you want to follow this series, having to deal with general silliness is going to be par for the course.

Seriously though, why don't you leave your brain at home and let your hair down, for once? No need to be so serious all the time, you know.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 07:32   Link #275
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I really didn't see anything funny about that promo at all. Compared to the other 15 sec promo that was out (Darker than BLACK, Guardian of the Sacred Spirit) this definitely was rock bottom imo. Very little to no animation was involved. Not even a hint of the type of background music used.
No, in my opinion, it's just a show of KyoAni's originality when facing certain cliche's--every series has a 15 second promo featuring the badassest animation the studio can pay for, right? But what are we welcomed with now? A simple, unappealing 15 second promo where nothing happens, but, since it's something completely out of the standard (and since people know the standards of KyoAni, thus the message of the CM is transmitted correctly), it makes it up in terms of originality.

Of course, I'm not telling you "YOU MUST LIKE THIS CM!!!" or anything of the sort, but I'm just telling you which part of it most members (I presume) are seeing as original.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 08:50   Link #276
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
No, in my opinion, it's just a show of KyoAni's originality when facing certain cliche's--every series has a 15 second promo featuring the badassest animation the studio can pay for, right?
It is like in most of hollywood blockbusters, where we get served 1 min of big explosions, badass punchlines and the final "OH SHI-", even tho they are likely to be the only things noteworthy in the final release of the movie.
Quote:
But what are we welcomed with now? A simple, unappealing 15 second promo where nothing happens, but, since it's something completely out of the standard (and since people know the standards of KyoAni, thus the message of the CM is transmitted correctly), it makes it up in terms of originality.
I am inclined to believe that KyoAni's message could be something like "lower your expectations, all you gonna see is a bunch of silly girls doing silly things for 24 episodes".

EDIT: I just wanna see Konata delivering her lines like "If I join a sport club, how do I get the time to play video games?". This kind of lines and my soft spot for the dark long-haired bishoujos (Madoka, Hazuki from Yamibou, Sakaki etc...) get me sold on her character.
Old 2007-04-05, 09:29   Link #277
Kisuke06
I see...

It really is an... interesting promo. lol
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 09:40   Link #278
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
This kind of lines and my soft spot for the dark long-haired bishoujos (Madoka, Hazuki from Yamibou, Sakaki etc...) get me sold on her character.
Well, she's not exactly a... bishoujo... is she?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 10:35   Link #279
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll give her some points for breath control

Lucky☆Star isn't going to be astounding or mind-blowing or "hype of the year" ... it looks like it is going to be .... fun
Old 2007-04-05, 11:33   Link #280
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
14 seconds of uuuuuuuu....
That was too funny to take. KyoAni has never let me down, why should this be an exception?

*Goes back to worshipping KyoAni*
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen