AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hidan no Aria

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-13, 10:46   Link #61
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Something that has been bugging me.

Why oh why did you go and name your (apparently) female OC with a male name?

Because if she's really from London, that's just silly. And in-universe it'd be silly.

Also....

Spoiler for Snippet:
Rather than bad boys, it should be like Hot Fuzz where nobody died as a result from that big gunfight scene, but you could still make it so god damn awesome
Old 2011-05-13, 10:53   Link #62
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
We have a WINNER!

Yes, it isn't her real name. Everything else is a plot point, and related to her ancestor, and her power.

The time Jim discovers her real name is a "flag" event.

*facepalms in resignation*

Quote:
*snip*

*facepalms in tired resignation*

"The word "discretion" does nae mean anything to you, does it, Leftenant?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdra View Post
After a long consideration, I decided to share this guy.

Name Fujita Shusuke
Division: Assualt
Height: 180cm
Hair color: black
Personality: laidback, observent and analytical
Weapon: double edge katana and Stechkin APS
Technique: Tennen Rishin-ryū, Shinsengumi-Kenjutsu and boxing
Obviously his ancestor was a policeman around the turn of the century, who had 3 sons: one went into the army, another into the police and dunno what happened to the third. His wife was a saint - a buddha, even, to marry him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Rather than bad boys, it should be like Hot Fuzz where nobody died as a result from that big gunfight scene, but you could still make it so god damn awesome
I'd totally forgotten about Hot Fuzz. That is a mortal sin. I must rectify my error at once.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2011-05-13, 11:04   Link #63
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

*facepalms in resignation*

*facepalms in tired resignation*

You can't spell 'dis-cretion' without 'cretion'!

*crickets*

W-Wait! Don't go-!
Quote:
Obviously his ancestor was a policeman around the turn of the century, who had 3 sons: one went into the army, another into the police and dunno what happened to the third. His wife was a saint - a buddha, even, to marry him.
I didn't know who he was until you said this line

Quote:
I'd totally forgotten about Hot Fuzz. That is a mortal sin. I must rectify my error at once.
If you want old school... Anybody remember "Hot Shots 2"?
Old 2011-05-13, 11:40   Link #64
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Time to join the club.

Name : Unamichi Ayari (海道 彩莉)
Division: SSR (Ex-Assault)
Height: 159
Hair color: Navy Blue
Personality: Violent tsundere.
Weapon: Dagger, tied to a piano wire, Tonfas which are actually folded boarding axes, Electrified Cutlass with a carbon-fiber core and micro-serrated edge (kept in her school locker)
Technique: Twin Phase abilities, Hyatoran: Museigensaku (百刀乱; 無制限作 "Hundred Blade Chaos; Unlimited Works")

Names : Unamichi Kanari (海道 夏奈莉)
Division: SSR (Ex-Lezzard)
Height: 158
Personality: Incredibly quiet.
Weapon: 40.S&W snub nose, bulletproof book containing an VBR-PDW and the latest edition of AsukaCIEL, Five-seveN, flintlock pistol modified to electromagnetically accelerate bullets containing an EMP solenoid or Semtex (kept in school locker).
Technique: Twin Phase abilities, Hyajuukumi: Isseishageki (百銃組; 一斉射撃 "Hundred Gun Formation; Single Fusillade")

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-05-21 at 10:31.
Old 2011-05-13, 11:58   Link #65
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Do you mean Umimichi? And, you realized that 海道 is Hokkaido, right? Well, to be more precise, Kaido.
Old 2011-05-13, 12:03   Link #66
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
Do you mean Umimichi? And, you realized that 海道 is Hokkaido, right? Well, to be more precise, Kaido.
actually, Una can be used for reading. these are the valid 名乗り for 海:
あ、 あま、 うな、 うん、 え、 か、 た、 ひろ、 ひろし、 ぶ、 まち、 まま、 み、 め、  わたる
Old 2011-05-13, 12:11   Link #67
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Ah, my bad.

My head hurts. Slightly.
Old 2011-05-13, 12:19   Link #68
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

It is "una" because "umi" rhymes with the first character of "michi" - making it hard to pronounce. I simplified it with another reading. Besides, I am punning their characters with their names because their surnames can be pronounced as "kaidou", which is the misreading of the term 海賊.

Updated the characters. Can't stop myself from thinking of something lame.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-05-13, 12:25   Link #69
Xacual

Remember for SSR students there is their specific ranking level not to mention the butei ranking level.Just seems like a lot of people are leaving out what rank Butei their creations are. Also there are other Butei schools around the world.

Anyway for fun I was trying to think of a good team set up. I thought 1 Snipe, 1 Lezzad, 1 Connect(though that might be a given since it looks like Connect students are always involved with every team), 1 Amdo, 1 Inquesta and 1 or 2 Assault. Maybe I'll think of the individuals later.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2011-05-13, 12:41   Link #70
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It is "una" because "umi" rhymes with the first character of "michi" - making it hard to pronounce. I simplified it with another reading. Besides, I am punning their characters with their names because their surnames can be pronounced as "kaidou", which is the misreading of the term 海賊.

Updated the characters. Can't stop myself from thinking of something lame.
interesting thoughts, though "umi" and "kai", the kun and on yomis, are seldom used for name readings.
Old 2011-05-13, 13:01   Link #71
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Time to join the club.

Names : Unamichi Ayari (海道 彩莉)
Weapon: Dagger, tied to a piano wire, Tonfas which are actually folded boarding axes, Electrified Cutlass with a carbon-fiber core and micro-serrated edge (kept in her school locker)
Technique: Twin Phase abilities, Hyatoran: Museigensaku (百刀乱; 無制限作 "Hundred Blade Chaos; Unlimited Works")

Weapon: 40.S&W snub nose, bulletproof book containing an MP7 and the latest edition of AsukaCIEL, Five-seveN, flintlock pistol modified to electromagnetically accelerate bullets containing an EMP solenoid or Semtex (kept in school locker).
Technique: Twin Phase abilities, Hyajuukumi: Isseishageki (百銃組; 一斉射撃 "Hundred Gun Formation; Single Fusillade.")
Those... are rather... unique weapons.

Then again as a result of my upbringing and where I grew up I tend to be somewhat down to earth regards these things...

I do think that none of the melee weapons are quite that practical though, and I'm pretty sure Semtex is out. And I'm pretty sure that the flintlock isn't that practical unless it ties in with your multishot ability...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You can't spell 'dis-cretion' without 'cretion'!

*crickets*

W-Wait! Don't go-!
*raised eyebrow*

*turns to leave*

Quote:
I didn't know who he was until you said this line
He's more commonly known by his original name, but I remember his alias that he adopted after the world changed and he adapted to fit the world while remaining true to himself. Also, the creator's mention of the Shinsengumi was a big giveaway.

Quote:
If you want old school... Anybody remember "Hot Shots 2"?
No.

In other snippets:
Spoiler for Here Come the Fuzz:

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2011-05-13 at 13:11.
Old 2011-05-13, 13:36   Link #72
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Regards teams, apparently according to the novels students form teams by September, and then teams are assigned to work together as needed.

So, for example, say a Connect team would need some Assault support, they'd be assigned an Assault team.

It'd work something like the opening shootout of Bad Boys 2 - undercovers (Inquesta) making the bust with Assault support waiting in the wings to swoop in and Connect monitoring everyone's transmissiones, Logi providing transportation support, a Snipe team providing overwatch...

I believe in miracles.

Old 2011-05-13, 14:01   Link #73
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

No teams are assigned to each other. They can choose to work together if they wish.
Old 2011-05-13, 20:17   Link #74
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
I do my best. Refining it more and dropping the Logi part.

But I do get the feeling that I won't be able to satisfy you.

Quote:
Time to join the club.

Name : Unamichi Ayari (海道 彩莉)

Weapon: 40.S&W snub nose, bulletproof book containing an MP7 and the latest edition of AsukaCIEL, Five-seveN, flintlock pistol modified to electromagnetically accelerate bullets containing an EMP solenoid or Semtex (kept in school locker).
Technique: Twin Phase abilities, Hyajuukumi: Isseishageki (百銃組; 一斉射撃 "Hundred Gun Formation; Single Fusillade")
Captain Suzumeno has Eclair and Mami as crewmates? I'm not savvy to this!
Old 2011-05-13, 20:56   Link #75
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Those... are rather... unique weapons.

Then again as a result of my upbringing and where I grew up I tend to be somewhat down to earth regards these things...

I do think that none of the melee weapons are quite that practical though, and I'm pretty sure Semtex is out. And I'm pretty sure that the flintlock isn't that practical unless it ties in with your multishot ability...
Maybe you should try fighting in an urban environment without a knife, or try scaling a wall with your bare hands.

Or even try cutting through concrete or metal with a normal steel-core blade.

Quote:
Captain Suzumeno has Eclair and Noir as crewmates? I'm not savvy to this!
If you are using doggystyle days as a compare-to, it would be chocolate wine.

Old 2011-05-13, 22:27   Link #76
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoakeNoHikari View Post
No teams are assigned to each other. They can choose to work together if they wish.
Really? Bugger, must have read that wrong. Noted, thanks.

Quote:
Maybe you should try fighting in an urban environment without a knife, or try scaling a wall with your bare hands.

Or even try cutting through concrete or metal with a normal steel-core blade.
My point is, my OC has a perfectly normal folding knife of a kind that's highly recommended, and easily concealable, as opposed to the exotic improbable weapons your OCs use. (I'll admit that the dagger on wire is more of am improvised improbably used weapon, and can be useful in the right circumstances, but there's a reason daggers have handles.)

How the hell you can fold down a boarding axe into a tonfa or have a electrified cutlass with carbon fibre core and micro-serrated edge, and not realise that these weapons stretch credulity, is a bit beyond my comprehension. (Also, they're not that practical for concealed carry.)

As for fighting in an urban environment without a knife, it's called bringing a gun to a knife fight.

As for cutting through concrete - you don't, it damages blades. Cutting things should never involve concrete or metal - blades are meant to cut wood, livestock, people, wires, plastic, rubber, duct tape...

(I think another reason is the difference in paradigm - Jon views his Emerson Tactical as more of a tool and less of a weapon, while Ayari views her blades as weapons, not tools.)

But if he were to cut through concrete, he'd use C4. As for scaling walls - how many times does one need to scale a wall anyway? If he needs to rappel down, he's got line in his rucksack.

Admittedly, growing up in a jungle in the middle of nowhere, I have an inclination towards simpler devices and tools that do a single job well, and which I am reasonably certain will last and/or can be replaced fairly easily, compared to exotic tools & devices of which I am unsure. Not surprisingly, perhaps, this has spilled over to Jon.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2011-05-13, 23:07   Link #77
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
If you are using doggystyle days as a compare-to, it would be chocolate wine.
Ah... That means I won't have to make a HanaKana.

Working on Rie Tanaka next.

EDIT: I wonder if I placed Camelot Castle at Cadbury, Somerset, England, would that cause a ruckus?

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2011-05-13 at 23:20.
Old 2011-05-13, 23:57   Link #78
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
My point is, my OC has a perfectly normal folding knife of a kind that's highly recommended, and easily concealable, as opposed to the exotic improbable weapons your OCs use. (I'll admit that the dagger on wire is more of am improvised improbably used weapon, and can be useful in the right circumstances, but there's a reason daggers have handles.)

How the hell you can fold down a boarding axe into a tonfa or have a electrified cutlass with carbon fibre core and micro-serrated edge, and not realise that these weapons stretch credulity, is a bit beyond my comprehension. (Also, they're not that practical for concealed carry.)
Which century do you live in?

Have you even seen a folding axe before? Or heard of metamaterials? Stun batons? Ginsu knives?

Quote:
As for fighting in an urban environment without a knife, it's called bringing a gun to a knife fight.
You are JOKING. Soldiers DO bring knives to gunfights!

Nothing beats a good old dagger to the gut when some bastard round the corner grabs your gun and points it away.

Quote:
As for cutting through concrete - you don't, it damages blades. Cutting things should never involve concrete or metal - blades are meant to cut wood, livestock, people, wires, plastic, rubber, duct tape...
Ever heard of a concrete saw?

Quote:
Ah... That means I won't have to make a HanaKana.
It is AyaKana.

Also I was thinking of swapping out the MP7 with the Five-seveN, with an automatic function, and a bottom-open clip that allows attachment to the P90's magazine, plus a C96 type stock. Need to work on the feed design because dual-clip systems tend to jam more often, and carrying too many different ammo types sound crazy.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-05-14 at 00:09.
Old 2011-05-14, 03:32   Link #79
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Remember for SSR students there is their specific ranking level not to mention the butei ranking level.Just seems like a lot of people are leaving out what rank Butei their creations are. Also there are other Butei schools around the world.
Quite, but let's face it people are going want to hang around the events of the story, you can easily BS that the Japanese school is the most famous/renowned anyway. As for ranks, I just didn't do it on purpose that's one of those "who gives a crap" things to me. Just slapping a letter on there doesn't mean anything to me, intending to at least dabble in some shorts with my characters I'm more concerned with what they do then assigning some vague or random letter/number to them. Besides that I hate systems like that anyway, they never really work and seem to exist to be defied half the time. It's canon so yeah I suppose my characters technically have them, but it's something that I'd only ever care about if it acutally somehow became relevant to the plot, otherwise I'll hedge my bets with ambiguity that lets me dodge any "oh but X letter shouldn't be able to do Y action" nonsense/debates.

Quote:
Which century do you live in?

Have you even seen a folding axe before?
It's still an axe that's almost impossible to conceal if it's of any significant size.

Quote:
Or heard of metamaterials?
These aren't magic and in fact a constant problem has been that NONE of them have had the blend of properties that make metal so useful namely you can't sharpen, mill, stamp, etc it.

Quote:
Stun batons?
Tasers work better and have a contact mode if you need be.

Quote:
Ginsu knives?
What about them they're knives, they're of high quality, but nothing more.

Quote:
You are JOKING. Soldiers DO bring knives to gunfights!

Nothing beats a good old dagger to the gut when some bastard round the corner grabs your gun and points it away.
Yeah... no, acutally it works more like this.

"The enemy struck from cover, lunging around the corner in a desperate grab for the rifle. The muzzle swung to meet him, but the burst was a moment too slow the rounds gouging the concrete floor as the attacker grabbed and cleared the weapon off him in the nick of time. A struggle ensued as the men wrestled for control of the weapon for a moment before the attacker yanked the weapon away in seeming triumphant... a moment before several shots rang out. The rifle clattered to the floor as the assistant staggered backward and collapsed from a half dozen 9mm slugs perforating his torso."

It's called a SIDEarm for a reason, a SWAT officer would NEVER pull a knife and try to stab a suspect if he somehow got a hold of his gun, and SWAT teams are what you should thinking of becasue technically these people are LAW enforcement, which by the way is another serious issue with bladed weapons which in the case of a large sword or axe are MORE lethal then guns.; if you cleave into someones torso with an Axe they're DEAD, or if you hit an arms you just frikkin' amputated that limb. "Police cleave suspects limbs off with battle axe" isn't exactly a good headline.

Now having said all that... I don't really mind this character as a concept. It's silly, but the setting is basically "action movie" and crazy melee fighters are a staple of that, but I'd get away from the technobabble stuff and just talk about the what, not the "how". It's one of those things that if you try to explain it just seems dumber. Like in Black Lagoon, by not even really acknowledging the super human feats a certain level of suspension of disbelief is maintained. When you go and try to somehow overly explain it, it just ends up amounting to either A. "its magic" or B. "That would NEVER work"

So my advice is either A. just make the swords/users outright magic or drop the technobabble stuff and just have them do this silly stuff, but don't try and explain it with junk science.

Last edited by Tk3997; 2011-05-14 at 04:25.
Old 2011-05-14, 07:44   Link #80
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Kobayashi G. Isara
“Valkyrie”
Affiliation: Butei - B. SSR - 14. Medica.
Voice: Saori Hayama

This cheerful, idealistic and naive medic is wholly into her job, making daily rounds around the class and the school, listening to complaints and worries alike. Not that chestnut-haired “hippie” is out of touch with the world; Isara is conscious of the distrust against superhuman Butei, but she wears the badge proudly, opting to let her work tell them otherwise. Her dress always includes a red scarf that is a heirloom from her grandmother. Isara also loves baking, and often makes extra for giving out. Many boys claim that her muffins have special properties, and with each batch comes even wilder claims, from increasing one’s luck at the lottery to becoming a super Butei for three minutes. Isara’s real ability instead enables her to control the radiation from enriched uranium, instead release the latent power within as spirit energy. At minimum output, the energy reinforces Kobayashi’s body, improves her strength and she can levitate by vector-thrusting. Her hair turns the same sky-blue color as her power. She can regenerate her wounds at a higher output, and apply that to her allies, allowing them to heal quicker. At this level, she can project a forcefield around herself, and include her allies at maximum output. However, this burns through the uranium plate within a few minutes. Therefore, Isara carries a disc of enriched, refined and sculpted to the best of Nemo’s technology, and a radioactively-sealed spare on her backpack wherever she goes. She can also empower the disc and use it as a blunt weapon. Or else, she throws the disc, making it arc around her opponents like a boomerang. But with her strong power in defense, Isara seldom attacks. Kobayashi is content to be the tank that makes sure her team returns home at the end of a quest.

~~~~~~

I still haven't have time to review everyone's profiles thoroughly. I'll do a proper backlog breaker once I'm done revising all these means of assessing bad limbs.

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2011-05-14 at 08:11.
Closed Thread