AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-10-22, 05:38   Link #1021
zero7090

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I still fail to see any resemblance Guilty Crown has with Code Geass since the characters, settings and feel are all different.
Powerless boy meet mysterious girl while being cornered by military personnels inside a warehouse. Then girl give boy power of king.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 06:21   Link #1022
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Add said boy joins a rebellion against an evil Western power that has occupied Japan. Oh and there's mecha.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 06:29   Link #1023
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
Powerless boy meet mysterious girl while being cornered by military personnels inside a warehouse. Then girl give boy power of king.
Street = warehouse?
Vial = girl?

Not disagreeing on the similarities but you don't exactly put forward a compelling case...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 07:14   Link #1024
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Street = warehouse?
Vial = girl?

Not disagreeing on the similarities but you don't exactly put forward a compelling case...
You're just nitpicking the details.

The scenario/formula is pretty much the same no matter how you look at it: boy meets super-girl, get super power, is now destined to "lead". It smells of copy/paste all over; similar to the problem harem usually have. It's different each time but same formula as far as the main plotline is concerned; and the problem is the main plotline is what's going to define it. They've already set everything up CG style with 1-man pincer movements and really flashy one-shot strategies with (stupidly) "precise" impossible-planning. It's like a spiritual successor to CG. Hell even the name GC is similar. We're now just moved into the CG school setting. How long before we get the "use power to hide identity" or "rebels are powerless with out you" I wonder.

The antagonist follow pretty much the same principles too. Instead of a crap-ton of field commanders you got 1-man leader person along with some Elites which pretty much make or break them. Needless to say the rebels are pretty similar too. 1 leader, with an extra support leader and everyone one else reduced to either peons, fodder or in this case fanservice.

That said Lelouch was a much more likable character. It's like we have Suzaku as main this time. Britania was also a much more likable antagonist, just because it was so wack and funny.
Old 2011-10-22, 07:26   Link #1025
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Not really. I actually loved Code Geass. Just so far, it's been really similar to CG, which has its negatives and pluses. The whole affair seems like Yoshino and Ōkouchi wanting to try and make a better version of CG with better music, better character designs, and more realistic characters. I think Inori is a horrible character though so far but it's only two episodes in. The villains are also horribly written. Character development takes time and saying that whichever character isn't developed, isn't a fair criticism of a show only two episodes in of a 22 episode show.
I think this plan backfired though. The character designs aren't any better; save Inori, they're horribly generic. And the characters aren't realistic either, but what's worse is that the show is trying to sell the idea that they are. Character development may take time, but everyone we've seen right now has the dimensions of a cardboard cutout. The music is mostly good, but at this point I really can't call it "better" than Code Geass' music.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 07:50   Link #1026
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
I still fail to see any resemblance Guilty Crown has with Code Geass since the characters, settings and feel are all different.
Really? at this point you can't even deny it even if you're trying

Quote:
Add said boy joins a rebellion against an evil Western power that has occupied Japan. Oh and there's mecha.
And there is this ruin city too.
Old 2011-10-22, 08:00   Link #1027
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyInc View Post
Spoiler:
Like this?

Old 2011-10-22, 09:09   Link #1028
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Watched Episode 2 just now.

Any similarities drawn between Code Geass and this show are now fairly baseless. Glad that's out of the way.

Still, I am dropping this show. Not feeling that great about it, but Episode 2 really put me off this show. Here's why:

1. My fears Inori really is the submissive type willing to be used as a tool and treated like a sex-object by the creators of this show came true. That scene in the ventilation duct was so uncalled for - there are times for fanservice, but the particular timing was just SO wrong and it was demeaning to boot! Didn't like the nonchalant way Inori draped Shu's hand across her chest either. It's almost as if she likes being used this way. Factors like these just seem to degrade a heroine rather than give reasons to like her. I'm very disappointed.

2. Rest of the cast is flimsy too. Shu now comes off as generic shounen emo kid. Ayase's introduction was poorly handled and Kana Hanazawa just didn't sound right for that characterm even if Hanazawa voices shy characters generally and is shy IRL. Ayane Taketatsu and Tsugumi clashed even more for me with that style of voice - also seemed inappropriate use of catgirl traits in this case. Gai is just a royal prick. I can watch pricks in actions if they have charisma or some redeeming features. Gai has neither. Looks like more trope-style characters coming in the next few episdoes. There isn't a major character with the charisma or magnetism required to steer a show like this. So instead this feels like medium-grade shounen at best.

3. Really beginning to dislike the music - it's just not working for me. The ED theme is okay but I really don't like the OP theme and Inori's singing isn't doing it for me either. The visuals seemed a bit messy this episode - already wondering whether they spent too much budget on making Episode 1 look good.

4. The world setting/plot progression was next to none in Episode 2. Most other shows I continued with really set things straight in their second episodes - their intentions, settings and motivations became clear. Guilty Crown is already wasting time this early...I am not impressed with this.

I guess this show just isn't for me. For those continuing - good luck. I hope you enjoy this show. But I have seen enough to know the character types and style of this show just doesn't sit well with me at all. I'm better off not continuing.

Peace.
Old 2011-10-22, 09:23   Link #1029
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Really? at this point you can't even deny it even if you're trying
Possibly because i expected they will act like their Code Geass counterparts but they didn't.

Let's see:
Shu is a shy, strong but kind kid with a heart while Lelouch who is prideful, has daddy issues, a siscon, vicious mindset and a pathetic weakling.
Gai is sorta like Lelouch, if Lelouch was more honest about his opinions about his crew but doesn't treat them as pawns, isn't a smug, looks great, isn't a weakling and kicks ass.
Inori is almost emotionless girl but is a hard dutiful member while CC is a lazy, sarcastic bum who eats pizza all day.
Britannia is oppressive due to it's Social Darwinism and belief they are a better race than others while GHQ are oppressive due to a paranoid fear of a return of a virus that devastated Japan.

In conclusion, Guilty Crown is no Code Geass but something else.
Old 2011-10-22, 09:30   Link #1030
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Possibly because i expected they will act like their Code Geass counterparts but they didn't.

Let's see:
Shu is a shy, strong but kind kid with a heart while Lelouch who is prideful, has daddy issues, a siscon, vicious mindset and a pathetic weakling.
Gai is sorta like Lelouch, if Lelouch was more honest about his opinions about his crew but doesn't treat them as pawns, isn't a smug, looks great, isn't a weakling and kicks ass.
Inori is almost emotionless girl but is a hard dutiful member while CC is a lazy, sarcastic bum who eats pizza all day.
Britannia is oppressive due to it's Social Darwinism and belief they are a better race than others while GHQ are oppressive due to a paranoid fear of a return of a virus that devastated Japan.

Hahahaha... is this a joke? You only focused on the negative aspects of the CG characters. Two can play this game.

Shu is a follower. He does what other people tell him, and he's easily swayed by beauty. He decides to help out a terrorist and falls into a pathetic depression after knowing her for literally a minute. He's secretly loving the fact that he's been thrust into the role of a protagonist for two episodes.

Gai emotionally manipulates his comrades because he knows that they want to bone him. He's reckless and doesn't think his plans through. He would have gotten all of those civilians murdered if this show were more realistic.

Inori is an object. Half of the lines that come out of her mouth are about how she's a possession "I'll give you my everything; I'm yours; I already belong to you; use me." She has no personality, and is solely in this show for sex appeal.

The GHQ mass murder civilians cruelly without having any real aims. They just sort of do it for the sake of being mean. They're moustache-twirling villains.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 09:39   Link #1031
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:

Let's see:

All thing that you mentioned is "facial" (dunno the exact word that I should use) stuff. Next time you maybe gonna said "Inori's hair not green coloured like C.C".
The cast is different, of course they gonna act differently.
How about the protag that suddenly meet mysterious girl, walked into warzone, meet the rebel n the rebel outdo the opposition in ruin city.

The worse thing is I don't even wanna to compare, they just too similar.
Old 2011-10-22, 09:48   Link #1032
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Maybe i have this kind of view point because everyone keeps saying Guilty Crown is like or resembles Code Geass. The comparison kinda bored and annoyed me to the point i just decided this if they say that then fine, it's their view cause to me, it's just a new exciting anime.
Old 2011-10-22, 09:49   Link #1033
zero7090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Street = warehouse?
Vial = girl?

I am talking about the scene where they meet in the warehouse. And it was the Inori decision to give the main lead power.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 09:51   Link #1034
maplehurry

Quote:
while GHQ are oppressive due to a paranoid fear of a return of a virus that devastated Japan.
please don't make the plot 10x worse lol.
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 09:53   Link #1035
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
There is a perspective shift compared to CG. We're not following the mad leader archtype (which here is Gai) but the emo hero (Shu). Code Geass has a Clamp style, this has a realistic style. Makes no difference to the story; all your points there are pretty much just that, the differences between clamp and standard setting.

Quote:
Shu is better compared to Suzaku (damn he even looks the same). And you pretty much made the perfect description of all the points he shares to Suzaku.

Quote:
Hm. Didn't even notice they were so similar until you just pointed it out now. The differences are largely just a difference in backstory, which doesn't matter much for the plotline, so they are roughly the same character only like others have mentioned Inori is at the present time reduced to a singing doormat.

Quote:
Have you seen any sign of Japanese government? Evil country/organization takes over Japan... Japan has little to no political power in the matter and is virtually destroyed. Sounds pretty much the same deal as CG's setting, only it's not so explicitly stated here.

Quote:
In conclusion people are still in denial and afraid of this show being compared to one of the most popular shows in recent memory.

Is there really anything particularly wrong with being another CG?
Old 2011-10-22, 10:22   Link #1036
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Is there really anything particularly wrong with being another CG?
I'm not sure but it won't be unique on it's own. Can't build it's own pacing if people keep comparing it. The show has tons of resemblance and even the staff admitted it but I like the show to stand on it's own. For now it doesn't have any redeeming qualities aside from good visuals and songs. The characters still needs to be build up because they don't stand that much yet.
Old 2011-10-22, 10:43   Link #1037
Jarppa

What a visually beatiful anime. After 2 episodes story seems to be atleast not bad. Insert songs are always good thing and characters are very pretty too. Best of the season for me prolly.
Jarppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 11:14   Link #1038
Shadow5YA

requesting a gif catgirl plugsuit Tsugumi during that butt bump scene, preferably less than 2MB and not hosted on photobucket
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 12:05   Link #1039
dark998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
The only time that I've seen the heroine's face expression changed is when she is singing in the first episode (near the ending). As well as the opening when you says "I'm yours". So, it would be great to see that expression in different occasions.
You forgot the scene when Gai scolds her after failing the mission in epsiode 2.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 12:06   Link #1040
besurvivor

Everyone has their own opinion and taste whether this is good and bad so in the end the one who decide is the one who watch it

after seeing the first two episode even if some people think it is a rip off as CG or think it is bad

all in all i like this show it is kinda entertaining and refreshing after watching so much anime this year and if they keep this pace up i sure it will be one of the best anime series this year

and yes i have watch CG, one for thing for sure is CG is CG and Guilty Crown is Guilty Crown
that is my opinion anyway.

comparing this anime remind of someone post long time ago someone comparing Busou Renkin with Bleach when it first come out =_="
besurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig