AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-05-08, 11:56   Link #201
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

The more the story progresses the more it looks to me that Loid is actually a terrible spy.

He certainly has exceptional skills, but he completely failed at not standing out, blending among the crowd, maintaining a low profile, and be professional and collected in any situation.

Squandering a substantial amount of government funds and taking away time from several other spies from their assigned tasks while also exposing them to the risk blowing their cover just to satisfy an unreasonable request from her adopted daughter might be just the icing on the cake.

I mean okay, as others have pointed out, it's better to disconnect your brain entirely. I'm loving this series so far, it's a lot of fun, it's amazing, and I don't mind the occasional rule of cool and anime logic, but I expected and I would have preferred if this was a little bit more serious.

So while this is still a great experience for me, this probably won't get my vote as the anime of the year.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-08, 13:18   Link #202
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The more the story progresses the more it looks to me that Loid is actually a terrible spy.

He certainly has exceptional skills, but he completely failed at not standing out, blending among the crowd, maintaining a low profile, and be professional and collected in any situation.

Squandering a substantial amount of government funds and taking away time from several other spies from their assigned tasks while also exposing them to the risk blowing their cover just to satisfy an unreasonable request from her adopted daughter might be just the icing on the cake.

I mean okay, as others have pointed out, it's better to disconnect your brain entirely. I'm loving this series so far, it's a lot of fun, it's amazing, and I don't mind the occasional rule of cool and anime logic, but I expected and I would have preferred if this was a little bit more serious.

So while this is still a great experience for me, this probably won't get my vote as the anime of the year.
Do you even remember what the mission is?
Old 2022-05-08, 13:56   Link #203
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Do you even remember what the mission is?
Please. Don't tell me that you seriously want to argue that granting Anya's request was absolutely necessary for the mission.

Old 2022-05-08, 14:27   Link #204
EroKing

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-15 at 08:28.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-08, 14:39   Link #205
bakato

Quote:
Please. Don't tell me that you seriously want to argue that granting Anya's request was absolutely necessary for the mission.
Keeping Anya motivated to do her best in the most elite school in the nation? The same Anya who is academically inferior to her diamond-spooned peers in the same school with absurd standards for its applicants and likely demands even more of its students? No, I can't imagine how this remotely necessary.

Maybe this hasn't sunk in yet, but Anya is the lynchpin of Operation Strix, not Loid and definitely not Yor.
Old 2022-05-08, 15:00   Link #206
ryllharu

Quote:
Maybe this hasn't sunk in yet, but Anya is the lynchpin of Operation Strix, not Loid and definitely not Yor.
Agreed. There's only so many ways Loid can cheat for Anya.

You don't become an ultra-elite school for leaders of Ostania without some degree of security.

He stole the test answers, but the teachers eyes are everywhere trying to filter out the "trash" applicants. The Forgers may have made a fan out of Henry Henderson, but like he said, there's only so much he could do either, since he is only one teacher and was worried he might be fired as well.

Like it or not, Loid has to rely on a girl who isn't nearly as smart as she came off at the orphanage and probably lied about her age.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-08, 16:39   Link #207
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

Again, this was mostly original and this is exactly why it didn't work for me. Even when silly SxF still has a tether to realism - this episode snapped that tether way too much. Plus it wasn't really all that funny.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-08, 16:58   Link #208
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Keeping Anya motivated to do her best in the most elite school in the nation? The same Anya who is academically inferior to her diamond-spooned peers in the same school with absurd standards for its applicants and likely demands even more of its students? No, I can't imagine how this remotely necessary.

He probably could have motivated her on more of a budget, though. The first step would have been to slap the silly out of Franky, but it could have been done.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-08, 17:27   Link #209
Huh...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He probably could have motivated her on more of a budget, though. The first step would have been to slap the silly out of Franky, but it could have been done.
Well, while not on the same level as Yor, but Twilight was also sort of drunk and did most of the stuff in a sort of daze feeling.

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-08, 17:28   Link #210
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
As for me, I threw away any expectation of this being a serious spy anime after the stampede scene last episode. It's honestly only as serious as Charlie Chaplin movies at this point.

So yeah, I'm expecting all the craziness from this point on. Less Full Metal Panic! and more Fumoffu? is what I'm getting at.
Old 2022-05-08, 18:06   Link #211
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Again, this was mostly original and this is exactly why it didn't work for me. Even when silly SxF still has a tether to realism - this episode snapped that tether way too much. Plus it wasn't really all that funny.
I'm glad I'm not alone. This is exactly why I said I'm afraid the writers of the anime don't get the series. The manga walks a very fine line, they crossed it completely with this episode. Better to play it safe and just stick to the original material, it's extremely popular for a reason.
Old 2022-05-08, 18:44   Link #212
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm glad I'm not alone. This is exactly why I said I'm afraid the writers of the anime don't get the series. The manga walks a very fine line, they crossed it completely with this episode. Better to play it safe and just stick to the original material, it's extremely popular for a reason.
And I think they will mostly stick with it. It’s likely just a matter of occasional stalling to make the finale stop point fall when they want it to - they know SxF will get as many seasons as it needs to fully adapt.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-08, 18:53   Link #213
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
I sort of get where you guys are coming from, though admittedly I'm pretty casual about the source manga. This one feels like it might be worth coming back to once its got a few more episodes to establish the setting, or maybe during the second cour. I don't dislike the adaptation or anything but its really milking these early chapters for all they're worth.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-08, 18:59   Link #214
Random14

The original chapter was already pushing things (with dragging all those agents there) but wow, they made things even crazier in the anime version. I know they had to drag out a relatively light chapter for one episode (whereas last episode covered two chapters), and next episode will start a new "arc" (actually attending the school), but just hope they don't go this overboard again this season. The manga is a comedy but usually didn't go all out wacky for one long uninterrupted stretch.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-08, 19:56   Link #215
bakato

Quote:
I bet you're a real pistol at parties. The chapter this episode adapted was less than 30 pages and the only filler was the rescue scene. They legitimately summoned every agent in Ostania to play the role of guests for Anya, many of whom were fanboys of Twilight. So I could totally see them taking part in a bombastic princess rescue as goons. How does this stretch the suspension of disbelief for you?

Compared to this episode, the source chapter seems anticlimactic and its ending abrupt in comparison. If you told me this is what Endo actually wanted to draw then I would've believed you. This episode was very popular for a reason so the staff should keep doing what they're doing.
Old 2022-05-08, 22:14   Link #216
Frontier

Honestly, even if it leaned more into a bit of absurdist comedy, it didn't really feel that tonally out of place to me for this series, and like with the other filler, it's building up the family bond/dynamic in a fun way and putting them in crazy situations. So it worked for me .

Plus, drunk Yor is worth the price of admission .
Old 2022-05-08, 23:27   Link #217
Strahan

The castle episode was all sorts of silly as far as being "believable", but it was just meant to be a fun episode. Not everything has to be serious and realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'm so glad Yor is getting all the fan art love that she is. You never really know if certain shows will get that much love, but she's definitely getting it here. I'm sure the latest episode will just line up nicely with plenty more great drunk Yor art .
Ain't that the truth. I was surprised when I went on Gelbooru and only 5 eps in or so of a new show there are already 2059 matches for "yor_briar" lol
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-08, 23:41   Link #218
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Is this anime original? Yeaaah, it's anime original.
It's entertaining to me how sometimes it is so obvious when something is anime original.

...Like when they drag a farce on for half an episode
Not just this anime. Like Takagi-san and Nagatoro-san's dream sequence. Well, one spent an entire episode, not half. Man, don't know what they are thinking. Put all of your effort in animating this manga, advertising like hell, and hmm... Let's not animate the manga after all!

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-09, 06:10   Link #219
Wandering Soul

I wasn't a huge fan of the chapter this episode was based on and the anime original content didn't help here either. I gues they needed to pad things out a bit to end where they want.
Old 2022-05-09, 07:26   Link #220
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:

This is so wrong on so many levels.

Anya isn't so petty and spoiled that she would have stopped cooperating for the sake of the mission just because Loid wouldn't have given her an entire castle to play in with several attendants playing along.

Moreover at no point it was stated that the mission requires Anya to be an exceptional student. All that it was necessary was for her to be a student in that school.

The rest is about Loid, not Anya. Loid needs to get close to Donovan Desmon, and while Anya becoming friend of his son would help, nobody said that it is necessary.
Because it was clearly stated that Loid would need to approach Donovan during social gatherings and his presence there can be justified just by being one of the parents of the children attending the prestigious school.

I don't see any evidence that suggests that Anya's role isn't pretty much done, all she needs to do is avoiding getting expelled or causing unnecessary trouble, which shouldn't be that hard. Loid is assuming that Anya is a very smart child, the reality is that she can read people's mind, but it doesn't matter, the fact remains that she can't possibly perform badly given her ability.

Tags
action, bondman, comedy, espionage, james bond, secret agency