AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-08, 07:16   Link #41
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Sometime I wonder if it isn't just Maria's way to escape from reality.

If she were to acknowledge that witches do not exist, she'd have to accept that her mom died and she could never see her again. The idea that magic exist, that everyone will be revived in the end and that she will see her mom again in a far better world is a lot more appealing.

So maybe she does all those witch talks as a form of defense, everytime someone denies the witch she has to jump in and tell him how he's wrong, not because she wants to "convert" him, but because she wants to strengthen her conviction.

Of course she already believed in the witch from the start, but the situation made her worse, and her psychotic faces and reactions maybe come from the fact that deep inside her she knows what's the truth and as freud said, an unresolved internal conflict brings to madness.

Old 2009-08-08, 07:22   Link #42
Chii Kei
Nyeh~

I don't really have much of a preference for Maria yet, as I've only played the first game (The rest are coming in the post this week, yay!! <3) and up to ep 6 for the anime, but I really like her "uuu" - it's cute. <3

Last edited by Chii Kei; 2009-08-08 at 12:41. Reason: took out content.
Old 2009-08-08, 11:47   Link #43
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Umm... I still don't think game spoilers are allowed in character threads. o_o;

Old 2009-08-08, 12:41   Link #44
Chii Kei
Nyeh~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maho Momo View Post
Umm... I still don't think game spoilers are allowed in character threads. o_o;

Oh shoot, really? D8! I go remove!
Old 2009-08-08, 18:21   Link #45
gtr06
Golden Watch

Hoire Yui went "UUUU" once in Toradora too.

Last edited by gtr06; 2009-08-11 at 18:38.
Old 2009-08-08, 18:24   Link #46
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I believe she went Uguu in Toradora as well...she's just good at cute noises...and apparently creaping people out.
Old 2009-08-08, 18:28   Link #47
gtr06
Golden Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I believe she went Uguu in Toradora as well...she's just good at cute noises...and apparently creaping people out.
Wondering if OHASHI means "OHAyo GozaimaSHIta".
Old 2009-08-12, 02:08   Link #48
Ganon

Quote:
(but she annoyed me a bit in garden scene)
agreed,that scene with maria's "uu"s was a bit annoying but at the same time i feel sorry for her.stupid rosa..
Old 2009-08-12, 02:45   Link #49
Akuryou
*cackle* *cackle*

Send a message via MSN to Akuryou
I dislike Maria and I feel all fuzzy when Rosa falcon punches her.
Old 2009-08-12, 02:51   Link #50
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

She's nice and creepy. I enjoy Hocchan's creepy voice.
Old 2009-08-12, 05:04   Link #51
patnam

In her cute mode: "Uuuu.. Uuuu.."
In her creepy mode: "Kihihihihihihi..."
Old 2009-08-12, 18:10   Link #52
Ganon

Quote:
when Rosa falcon punches her.
u mean falcon B**ch slap lol XD.
Old 2009-08-16, 06:32   Link #53
Dark Angel Suigintou

lmao falcon b**ch slap anyways I liked how Battler smacked her across the head for her creepiness.
Old 2009-08-16, 06:52   Link #54
Kimura sensei
Kimurin, the Wise

Maria is a quite good girl.
Old 2009-08-16, 07:44   Link #55
Mirena

In the beginning I didn't like Maria at all and just found her annoying. But somehow she's started to grow on me.

Still, it's annoying when people die and she just laughs. Maybe a lack of common sense lies in the Ushiromiya blood? (Just look at Kinzo. )
Old 2009-08-16, 10:53   Link #56
Shinguji
Constantly Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirena View Post
Still, it's annoying when people die and she just laughs. Maybe a lack of common sense lies in the Ushiromiya blood? (Just look at Kinzo. )
Actually, I think Maria feels that there's no real need to be sad when everyone is going to be revive and meet again in the Golden Land anyway, due to her deep belief in magic/Beatrice. So her laughter is, in my opinion, her looking down on the others for not understanding that.
Old 2009-08-16, 13:22   Link #57
Arbane the Terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirena View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, my current theory is that she's got Asperger's Syndrome. She fits the diagnosis pretty well: Obsessive about one topic (occultism), lack of empathy, and deafness to social cues (which is very bad for her, as it means she can't tell when her mom's about to snap).
Old 2009-08-16, 16:17   Link #58
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

One diagnosis isn't going to cover her imo. I suspect that her interest in the occult may be explained as we get on in the series. Poor kid on top of beng abused may even have a second personality (creepy Maria) to escape all the violence and pain.

She gave me a headache in the beginning. Now I just say "Poor kid.".
Old 2009-08-16, 17:01   Link #59
Vega Lyra
<Congratulations>!!!!
*Artist

I love Maria's UUU sound. I fall for the cuteness of the 'UUU'. But at other time I find her so annoying when she's at her crazy laugh scenes. I feel a sick kind of sadism whenever Battler 'pats' Maria on the head.
But I fall for her cuteness. <3
Old 2009-08-17, 08:26   Link #60
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

About the asperger syndrome. It is a very common theory. It is even mentioned in the japanese umineko wiki. However I disagree with it.

This is the diagnostic table of the asperger syndrome according to the DSM IV

Quote:
(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia."
The main point here is that all the requirement with roman numbers must be fulfilled.

If one person characteristics do not met all of them, they can't be diagnosed with this syndrome.

Now Maria's case in my opinion fulfill every point, except number one. Thinking that the number I is irrelevant is a mistake.

The number one states:

Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

- marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction:

Do not mistake this. It says "impairment" not "strange". And the problem must be with social interactions.
Maria hasn't any "marked" problem with this. She can smile, she can be frown, she looks people in their eyes (and this is a very big clue that she isn't suffering from autism).

- failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level

Maria does have problems at school. However it isn't her fault. It isn't she the one who avoids people. At any rate she doesn't show such a social impairment on Rokkenjima, anything else is speculation because it wasn't shown. You need to understand that Maria doesn't remember Battler, the 4 October 1986 is as if she met him for the first time. And yet the two socialized in a matter of seconds.

- a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)

I don't think I need to explain this. It is completely wrong. Maria LOVES to show her interests to others.

- lack of social or emotional reciprocity

Excluding the lack of empathy she shows for the murders, Maria does' show this either. She well understands when people are angry (her mother), she understands when people are afraid (Battler), and she understands when people are happy. This kind of lack of understandment of human emotions is something that is very characteristic of the asperger syndrome and autism, yet Maria doesn't show that.

The other problem I see with this theory is that it doesn't explain at all the main problem of Maria's strange behavior. The first thing you would say about Maria is that she is delusional and unable to face reality.
However nothing of the sort is explained by autism.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2009-08-17 at 09:42.
Closed Thread