AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2012-03-24, 01:05   Link #1
Aquaman OS

For those who are unaware ever since the early 90s Banpresto (now a division of Bandai-Namco) has been releasing a series of strategy games called "Super Robot Wars" which is a massive crossover of various mecha anime and manga, all merged into one massive storyline. It started out with simply Mazinger, Getter Robo, and UC Gundam, but as the years have gone on, virtually any robot series has had the potential to take part, from Eureka 7, to Evangelion, to Full Metal Panic. One of the things it is known for is giving the player the change to alter the plots of certain series in some ways, usually by being able to prevent a character's death. Unfortunately due to the many series involved having seperate distribuition rights in the west, SRW is almost always a Japanese only release.

For modern mecha series fans of SRW anticipate a mecha series SRW debut almost from the beginning of the first episode. So of course I was waiting since episode 1 of season one of Code Geass. There were some people who doubted it's inclusion due to the unusual way Geass's plot worked out (main mecha and pilot were the chief antagonist's) and the.....complex way the 2nd season ends up being. But those fears were unfounded because Geass did indeed make it's way to the SRW world.

Geass debuted actually not in SRW but in a spinoff created by the same Company called Another Century's Episode R, which isn't strategy but a real time mecha game. Only the R2 plot was used, and the plot was mostly ignored.

It made it's SRW proper debut in SRW Z2 "Destruction chapter" which features only season 1. In two weeks SRW Z2 "Rebirth chapter" will be released which will move into the R2 plot.

So guys, anybody other than me played these games?
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 02:30   Link #2
Lost Cause

Saw some of the vids on YouTube, and I think I remember seeing the game advertised in a copy of Newtype, or Animerica. Did it make it too the console games over here?
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 07:21   Link #3
darkdhaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
For those who are unaware ever since the early 90s Banpresto (now a division of Bandai-Namco) has been releasing a series of strategy games called "Super Robot Wars" which is a massive crossover of various mecha anime and manga, all merged into one massive storyline. It started out with simply Mazinger, Getter Robo, and UC Gundam, but as the years have gone on, virtually any robot series has had the potential to take part, from Eureka 7, to Evangelion, to Full Metal Panic. One of the things it is known for is giving the player the change to alter the plots of certain series in some ways, usually by being able to prevent a character's death. Unfortunately due to the many series involved having seperate distribuition rights in the west, SRW is almost always a Japanese only release.

For modern mecha series fans of SRW anticipate a mecha series SRW debut almost from the beginning of the first episode. So of course I was waiting since episode 1 of season one of Code Geass. There were some people who doubted it's inclusion due to the unusual way Geass's plot worked out (main mecha and pilot were the chief antagonist's) and the.....complex way the 2nd season ends up being. But those fears were unfounded because Geass did indeed make it's way to the SRW world.

Geass debuted actually not in SRW but in a spinoff created by the same Company called Another Century's Episode R, which isn't strategy but a real time mecha game. Only the R2 plot was used, and the plot was mostly ignored.

It made it's SRW proper debut in SRW Z2 "Destruction chapter" which features only season 1. In two weeks SRW Z2 "Rebirth chapter" will be released which will move into the R2 plot.

So guys, anybody other than me played these games?
Well, I played the PS1 games but, I could not follow the story and the combats were a little harder because at that time I didn't know to much of japanese, and it's a pity, I would like to know this game story.
darkdhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 07:51   Link #4
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

There's a small number of SRW fans on this forum and we pretty much recognise each other since we're the only ones posting on the SRW threads in the games subforum.

Most of the people who play SRW here are mecha fans who watched hundreds of mecha anime, SRW is the number 1 game for mecha fans. The producers of the game, Banpresto really understand the essence of mecha and never fails to address the important points of the anime.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 01:58   Link #5
Aquaman OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Saw some of the vids on YouTube, and I think I remember seeing the game advertised in a copy of Newtype, or Animerica. Did it make it too the console games over here?
Only 3 SRW games have ever been officially released overseas. All were handhelds, and all were of the original character only variety games.

No licensed mecha series games have gotten an official release. Alpha 1 almost did, many years ago, but sadly the licensing just couldn't be done. Barring some massive change to international copyright laws, it will never happen.
Old 2012-03-25, 15:17   Link #6
Xander

From what I could tell, Z2-1 had a pretty good representation of Code Geass and even the idea of integrating much of it with Armored Trooper Votoms worked out rather well. You actually got to use Suzaku for a while too, even if that obviously wasn't going to last once Euphemia's SAZ entered the picture.

Lelouch/Zero, as expected, never was a great pilot...although the Gawain still looked cool in action. He was mostly helpful because his strategic commands made for nice stat boosts. In addition, Kallen and the Guren Mk. II were quite useful as a frontline unit even late into the game.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 15:44   Link #7
Gundamx

Am I the only one waiting for Z2-2 just to know how CG will end?
(I hope they made little change just like they did with GSD)
Oh and while we are at it, please let us fight BlackKnight when they betray Zero.
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 16:18   Link #8
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
(I hope they made little change just like they did with GSD)
Oh and while we are at it, please let us fight BlackKnight when they betray Zero.
Well, they've made a good number of both small and large changes to all the series and I don't think this one will be the exception.

On that same note, I wouldn't expect the betrayal to be "everyone vs. the Black Knights" either. That's way too simple for a crossover game.

Particularly when you've got other plots, like that of Votoms for example, which are surely going to be combined with R2's in interesting ways.
Old 2012-03-25, 17:03   Link #9
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Generally people are expecting another Zeuth vs Zeuth, separated by Emperor Lelouch and Black Knights like how they were separated into Minerva vs Archangel.

OZ with the UC Newtypes could easily find themselves into either sides.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 20:18   Link #10
Aquaman OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
From what I could tell, Z2-1 had a pretty good representation of Code Geass and even the idea of integrating much of it with Armored Trooper Votoms worked out rather well. You actually got to use Suzaku for a while too, even if that obviously wasn't going to last once Euphemia's SAZ entered the picture.
My only problem was that the Geass plot ended after the SAZ massacre and the season 1 finale was cut entirely to instead be done in the downtime between games. Aside from Suzaku and Orange appearing as enemies during the 00 finale that was about it. Really, they might as well not have bothered and let us keep Suzaku, then, and had all the bad stuff go down between games. Instead we only get Suzaku as a tease, and like much of the other series, most of the good stuff is being saved for part 2. I mean it was interesting to have to go a whole game with only early tier stuff, and it was nice for the Wing and 00 season 1 Gundam's not to just be a stop gap before getting their final units, but still...

Plus it was just weird for Lelouch to simply blow off the SAZ incident for 10 stages.
Old 2012-03-25, 22:42   Link #11
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
My only problem was that the Geass plot ended after the SAZ massacre and the season 1 finale was cut entirely to instead be done in the downtime between games.
That's a fair point, but then again we did get to see the gist of what ultimately happened. The same thing goes for a number of other series, all of which had remaining material that was only featured in the preview after the credits.

At the same time, I didn't mind stopping there since episode 23 was the end of the regular TV broadcast. After all, we never saw 24+25 until a few months later and so it's not difficult to rationalize why the SRW producers made that decision.

Quote:
Plus it was just weird for Lelouch to simply blow off the SAZ incident for 10 stages.
I don't know what the text actually said, but I don't think he was unaffected. However, I can understand that in a crossover universe where multiple threats are present...Lelouch had to be fully aware of the more urgent matters and thus he decided to take care of the larger issues before going back to carry out his final attack against the Tokyo Settlement. Just like how he recovered (with C.C.'s help) and cynically exploited Euphemia's tragedy to make the population rise up in the canon story.
Old 2012-03-26, 01:20   Link #12
Aquaman OS

I guess it's better than the A.C.E.R. appearance at least. Where there was practically no plot at all.

Though A.C.E. actually let you keep Lancelot.....
Old 2012-03-30, 23:03   Link #13
Aquaman OS

Well apparantly I was wrong as you will in fact get to play out the Black Rebellion in Z2 Saisei hen. Before the game starts we get 3 prologue stages that correspond to the preview at the end of Hakai hen. The very first stage is titled "Black Rebellion" so I guess we get to play as Lelouch and get the beatdown required to send the plot into motion. Though considering Lelouch has to lose, maybe we'll get to play as Suzaku instead? But probably not since the next two stages will also involve losing.

Meanwhile the main plot picks up with Kallen and C.C. recruiting members to rescue Lelouch ala R2 episode 1. C.C. is a PC pilot which surprised me as I was expecting her to be cut. Urabe was cut, but since he wasn't a PC in part 1 and doesn't last long anyway this doesn't surprise me.

And that's are far as the Famitsu article delved into the plot. There are rumors of later stages from someone who got the copy early, but they are just rumors and they sound quite fake.
Old 2012-04-04, 20:06   Link #14
Aquaman OS

BUMP.

Game is out. R2 apparently gets extensive coverage. Am I allowed to link game clips here? It's something that will never be licensed.
Old 2012-04-04, 20:21   Link #15
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!

Im surprised how long it took for Votoms & Tetsujin 28 to get in that series , according to some theories about SRW such as Asakim Dowin /Masaki Andoh & Shuurouga/Cybuster being parallels/doppelgangers ,theres a theory that we might see a mech like XN Geist (of Hero Senki :Project Olympus ) once again ....but eh its just theories.....Im also glad the Originals from SRW Destiny made it in the PS3 OG.... (That game was a pain ....)
Old 2012-04-05, 02:52   Link #16
Aquaman OS

Well as expected. R2's ending is salvaged. Or at least they give you the option to.

Play your cards right and you'll get pretty much the entire Geass cast on your side.
Way more than the 6 (really only 3 useful) Geass units of part 1. Apparantly they just decided "Screw it. Take everyone. Use who you want" for part 2.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:40   Link #17
Gundamx

[QUOTE=bakAnki;4091431]
Spoiler for Code Geass what if:
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 00:04   Link #18
azul120

So is it possible for
Spoiler:
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 00:28   Link #19
Aquaman OS

Yep. Haven't actually gotten to that part yet. Or the game at all actually. It arrives tommarow. But from what I can tell.

Spoiler for Geass good ending.:

And thus you end up with like 13 Geass PC characters.
Old 2012-04-06, 00:30   Link #20
azul120

I completely approve of this spoilered alt. ending.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote