AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Aldnoah.Zero

Notices

Old 2014-07-21, 17:08   Link #1481
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Honestly, I think you're wrong, at least as it pertains to main cast characters that show up frequently in the first three episodes.
And that's my point, the Princess HASN'T shown up frequently. In these first 3 episodes, she has about 6-7 scenes where she spoke, totaling approx 6-7 minutes. I think even Inko has had more screen time than her.

Personally, I think knocking the story for not revealing more about the princess at this point in the story is like knocking LOTR for not revealing who Strider really is right when they just got to the Prancing Pony.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 17:10   Link #1482
DMurphy

- I actually wonder whether Asseylum assisting the Terrans would be all that problematic, given her role.

She's the crown princess, after all, and quite possibly her father's representative on Earth, with all his powers resting with her. Even in modern day democracies, a reigning monarch or her representative has the power to dissolve governments, disband the military, and strip knights of the realm of their titles and honours. It's a power that has been exercised by a monarch's representative in recent history, although rather more calmly.

Granted, firing a smoke grenade and stalling a knight while people can fire missiles at them would probably not go over remotely well in a modern monarchy, but given that the Vers Empire is rather more feudal and severe, Asseylum deliberately attacking a knight may just be the logical extension of stripping him of his rank. He's moved against her interests, and she's exercising her right as her father's representative on Earth to see him punished for it.

It comes down to what Ray Regalia thinks of it, really, when he finds out.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 17:13   Link #1483
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
This isn't a lazy romance show and it has no romance in genres.

I'm sure that as much people can tell already, this isn't focused on wacky "romantic twists". If there are pairings, whether or not the parties die (which is highly likely, the opening is pretty much a "the princess die and someone carries out her mission" song), it's not going to focus on cheesy hormonal drama. It's far too serious now for that. It already hit certain point when the invasion began and a character died that is too late for that. Kira and Cagalli weren't a twist when, you know, all promotional art featured the fixed pairings before it happened (never mind Lacus wasn't even Kira's love interest in Seed, that was Fllay) and never Cagalli and Kira.
I know that romance isn't one of the listed genres, nor should it be. But your kidding yourself if you think there won't be any romantic elements to it. Any time you have communication in these series and you have teens involved between both genders, you can be sure there will be romantic sub-plots around. It won't be prominent, but it will be there. Believe me, they've already started simply from the conversations and chemistry between Inaho and Inko is that talk last episode, Slaine and the Princess from the very start, and Yuki and Marito from that slight glimpse of them together in that school training area.

Now, will some of these be star-crossed relationships? Sure. I don't expect Inko, Yuki, or perhaps even Asseylum to survive the show, and I do expect the show to be as serious as it can, but I also don't doubt the romantic elements either. Its simply just a part of story-telling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialKnight View Post
Oh no I meant that as a way of pointing out that slaves were used in such positions before.

Regardless though for a "dog" he seems to be privy to quite a few things I mean he has access to a Vers transport I mean what? They had no available martians to pilot it?

How would he know? He has no eyes on the ground, Trillram WAS his eyes on the ground and he was killed before he could relay that information over.

There's nothing stopping him from doing a wide orbital bombardment.
For Slaine, him piloting the plane is just something else he was ordered to do. Like a chauffeur.

As for Saazbaum, with all that technology and spies they have, I doubt his only eyes on the ground was Trillram. He wouldn't insure everything to one idiot. Also, he's politically savvy, and I doubt he would do an attack if there is no justifiable reason to. If everyone has been evacuated, then what would be the point other than pissing off Cruhteo. Also, he's have to answer to his other fellow knights that he staged a useless attack, and have them all on his back too. One knight is trouble, but all of them? That's chaos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder View Post
Trillram was a baron, a position lower than the orbital knights who are presumably all counts. Presumably A-1/Urobuchi is basing the system off the abolished Japanese peerage system.
He's a baron, but I think the bio on the website also listed him as a knight as well? But whatever, who cares, he's dead.

I actually thought their system was closer to a European style, but whatever. They're both similar.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 17:16   Link #1484
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Why are things like walls desintegrated, but the blade from Inaho's mech not? Does this prove that the martian mech always has to spin his upper a bit while going through bigger objects to make sure that his weakspot is not accidently pierced by undesintegrated concrete?
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 17:19   Link #1485
Dr. Dahm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
And that's my point, the Princess HASN'T shown up frequently. In these first 3 episodes, she has about 6-7 scenes where she spoke, totaling approx 6-7 minutes. Even Inko has had more screen time than her.

Personally, I think knocking the story for not revealing more about the princess at this point in the story is like knocking LOTR for not revealing who Strider really is right when they just got to the Prancing Pony.
I think the major problem here is that the show only has another 9 episodes left for this cour and then we have to wait x number of months to see more if it's 2 cour as is suspected. Granted something like Knights of Sidonia got a lot done last season with only 12 episodes, but that was an adaptation where as this is being written from scratch from what looks like a very rough outline of a story concept from the people at Nitroplus that the series composer who will be taking over from this weeks episode now has to hammer out somehow in only a couple of months worth of episodes. If ever there was a show that I had less of an idea of where it's going and how it's going to play out after 3 episodes it's this one so I really don't know why the staff pointed specifically to the most recent episode as a decisive game changer one unless they just meant that it was going to show a counterattack cause nothing really played out all that unexpectedly at all really much like how the first two episodes were.

Anyway I really don't see too much point in speculating too far ahead about the show and where things are going with the characters until they actually give us more than table scraps to go on. Right now is the key time for the show to start speaking for itself a little more since it's clear it really wants to sell itself as a pivotal entry in the mecha genre.
Dr. Dahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 17:23   Link #1486
Irenesharda

Quote:
I like the character design of the woman Knight. I'm hoping she can be similar to Cornelia li Britannia. If so, that should provide us with an excellent mecha battle later on.

But in any event, that is an impressive amount of pure concentrated smugness in a few character shots.
I was thinking maybe closer to Kycilia Zabi, but Cornelia is cool too.

They all look pretty smug, and I'm betting we'll be encountering all 4 of them as we go along. Our heroes will be moving by ship, so they'll probably encounter the counts as they enter their territories.

I think the guy in blue is in Tokyo, so he might be the first. Glasses guy is in New Orleans, and the other guy is in Beijing, the woman is the only one we don't know the location of.

Quote:
I think the ones wearing red are considered "Counts" rather than Knights. Each Count should have their castle.
I think they are both. "Count" is a title of nobility. Knight is a title and position in this case. The title of count/countess can be passed down in lineage, while knight cannot. Count shows they are of noble blood, while Knight, shows a warrior/military role.

Also, some of them I guess have a unique clothing style too, such as the count who wears the blue Japanese-style robs instead, but I'm guessing the maroon is the normal uniform for their position.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-07-21, 17:32   Link #1487
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I know that romance isn't one of the listed genres, nor should it be. But your kidding yourself if you think there won't be any romantic elements to it. Any time you have communication in these series and you have teens involved between both genders, you can be sure there will be romantic sub-plots around. It won't be prominent, but it will be there. Believe me, they've already started simply from the conversations and chemistry between Inaho and Inko is that talk last episode, Slaine and the Princess from the very start, and Yuki and Marito from that slight glimpse of them together in that school training area.

Now, will some of these be star-crossed relationships? Sure. I don't expect Inko, Yuki, or perhaps even Asseylum to survive the show, and I do expect the show to be as serious as it can, but I also don't doubt the romantic elements either. Its simply just a part of story-telling.
Hmm. See, one thing is to have romantic elements and another one, very different, to have romantic drama proper of a soap opera (which makes it romance genre: polygons, etc.). The latter I doubt it will happen, so far the only triangle set up (and quite bluntly so: since the character introduction) is Marito, Yuki and Darzana that has a somewhat adult and humor element. That's exactly what I meant: even in Seed, where you can say there were 'switches', these were spoiled beforehand. They aren't concerned about it. The presentation of the triangle was fairly straightforward, Darzana introduced herself and in her second interaction of the very same episode, she set up a triangle openly.

I expect Marito and not Yuki to be the one who dies, if one of the two does.

Also, because this is a Gen Urobuchi show (at least he helped to assemble it), I expect a lesbian character or two.

Quote:
He's a baron, but I think the bio on the website also listed him as a knight as well? But whatever, who cares, he's dead.
Well, I mean the backstory from LightningZERO:

Quote:
The 37 Mars Knights are appointed counts
There are 37 castles in total (19 descended). So one for each of the knights who were appointed counts? I made a guess because the number matches. They are still knighted, but they are counts while Trillram was a baron.

Quote:
I think they are both. "Count" is a title of nobility. Knight is a title and position in this case. The title of count/countess can be passed down in lineage, while knight cannot. Count shows they are of noble blood, while Knight, shows a warrior/military role.

Also, some of them I guess have a unique clothing style too, such as the count who wears the blue Japanese-style robs instead, but I'm guessing the maroon is the normal uniform for their position.
I agree. I clarified above with what I meant. Those in red/maroon coats are likely the lords of the castles.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 17:32   Link #1488
ImperialKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
- I actually wonder whether Asseylum assisting the Terrans would be all that problematic, given her role.

She's the crown princess, after all, and quite possibly her father's representative on Earth, with all his powers resting with her. Even in modern day democracies, a reigning monarch or her representative has the power to dissolve governments, disband the military, and strip knights of the realm of their titles and honours. It's a power that has been exercised by a monarch's representative in recent history, although rather more calmly.

Granted, firing a smoke grenade and stalling a knight while people can fire missiles at them would probably not go over remotely well in a modern monarchy, but given that the Vers Empire is rather more feudal and severe, Asseylum deliberately attacking a knight may just be the logical extension of stripping him of his rank. He's moved against her interests, and she's exercising her right as her father's representative on Earth to see him punished for it.

It comes down to what Ray Regalia thinks of it, really, when he finds out.
Except for the fact that there's a group of Martians that tried to assassinate her.

There are now two people that know the truth, Slaine and Ryer (Is that the girl's name?)

So in other words she had every right to defend herself but she didn't pull the trigger anyways. She was just a "distraction" so to punish her is well...silly...especially since the main question that'd be on everyone's mind is "Why is she alive?"

Besides she fired a smoke grenade to block a camera view, not actively attack it.

Quote:
As for Saazbaum, with all that technology and spies they have, I doubt his only eyes on the ground was Trillram. He wouldn't insure everything to one idiot. Also, he's politically savvy, and I doubt he would do an attack if there is no justifiable reason to. If everyone has been evacuated, then what would be the point other than pissing off Cruhteo. Also, he's have to answer to his other fellow knights that he staged a useless attack, and have them all on his back too. One knight is trouble, but all of them? That's chaos.
Spies? You mean those rats that Trillram killed? Pretty sure the reason why Saazbaum called Trillram directly was because he wanted an update on the things going down. Remember he's literally a traitor so he would be limited in what he had to work with. He also said himself that he would be out of laser communication soon so there's no way for him to contact anyways.
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 17:37   Link #1489
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
And that's my point, the Princess HASN'T shown up frequently. In these first 3 episodes, she has about 6-7 scenes where she spoke, totaling approx 6-7 minutes. I think even Inko has had more screen time than her.
I don't think I want to quibble over differences over what you consider frequent, and what I consider frequent, but in any event, one could argue that your position makes the Princess' Episode 3 characterization even more problematic.

One of the few things that Episode 1 makes clear about the Princess is that she wants peace between Earth and Mars.

So what have we seen of her since then? A tendency towards using violence and force and weaponry to resolve matters (such as her takedown of Inaho in Episode 2), and even seemingly enjoying such methods in Episode 3. That's a bit of a strange way to portray her in the two episodes after giving us the little tidbit of "wants peace" in Episode 1. The less you know about a character, the more seeming contradictions stand out, in my view. So if you want to thread the needle between "wants peace" and "enjoys shooting off guns in military missions" then it would be a good idea to tell us more about the Princess to make sense out of an odd contrast there.

It's one thing for her to want peace, and not be an all-out pacifist. It's quite another, in my view, for her to want peace but enjoy shooting off smoke grenades in a military mission where people may well die.

Quote:
I was thinking maybe closer to Kycilia Zabi, but Cornelia is cool too.
Kycilia Zabi would make a great inspiration for her as well, yeah.

Quote:
They all look pretty smug, and I'm betting we'll be encountering all 4 of them as we go along. Our heroes will be moving by ship, so they'll probably encounter the counts as they enter their territories.
Agreed. That would probably be a good way to go about it.
Old 2014-07-21, 17:54   Link #1490
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Besides, Triple_R is right, what she should have done is make contact with Trillram to resolve the misunderstanding as soon as possible. What she did doesn't make sense unless they reveal that she knew they were trying to kill her. We'll see I guess.

So by default she's going to trust the enemy instead of her own side? I don't think so.

I don't think they have even hinted that she knows or even suspects the knight were involved in the assassination attempt. If we're supposed to think that way, the writer should have made it more clear. It would have helped to give context to her actions. It's necessary to be clear about these things so I hope the show will address the issue soon enough and explain what's her deal.

I never said she shouldn't have done it. I said it was odd she didn't seem affected or conflicted about it. I hope the show will deliver some answers sooner than later.
She didn't do trust the Terrans by default. Inaho earned her trust by arranging for transport. Furthermore, he demonstrated his own character and inttentions by taking on the Martian mech.

They have. As you pointed out, if she really believed the Terrans were responsible, why didn't she just hail Trillram from the beginning? It's not hard to suspect her own military either considering that the 37 knight leaders all ignored the peace treaty and refused withdrawal orders for 15 years. Now all of a sudden, there's a terrorist attack in the form of an attempt on her life, which becomes a convenient opportunity for these almost rogue military leaders to declare war on earth.

I wasn't responding to you. That was for Triple R who I quoted.

Quote:
I could hardly disagree more!
No. She should have little attachment to soldiers who refused to obey withdrawal orders for 15 years since she was born. And people who spout cheesy villain lines.

Quote:
So what have we seen of her since then? A tendency towards using violence and force and weaponry to resolve matters (such as her takedown of Inaho in Episode 2), and even seemingly enjoying such methods in Episode 3. That's a bit of a strange way to portray her in the two episodes after giving us the little tidbit of "wants peace" in Episode 1. The less you know about a character, the more seeming contradictions stand out, in my view. So if you want to thread the needle between "wants peace" and "enjoys shooting off guns in military missions" then it would be a good idea to tell us more about the Princess to make sense out of an odd contrast there.

It's one thing for her to want peace, and not be an all-out pacifist. It's quite another, in my view, for her to want peace but enjoy shooting off smoke grenades in a military mission where people may well die.
There were lives on the line then and not just hers. She was stuck on a foreign planet in the middle of an invasion so I would hardly call her take down of Inaho as a tendency towards violence. Enjoy? Try cheerful and its not like she was shooting a soldier. Like I said before, shooting a living, breathing soldier with deadly bullets is a lot harder to swallow than shooting a smoke grenade into the air. Also, the only lives that were at stake during that plan were those who agreed to put their lives on the line.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 18:05   Link #1491
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialKnight View Post

Spies? You mean those rats that Trillram killed? Pretty sure the reason why Saazbaum called Trillram directly was because he wanted an update on the things going down. Remember he's literally a traitor so he would be limited in what he had to work with. He also said himself that he would be out of laser communication soon so there's no way for him to contact anyways.
That one group of assassins can't be the only spy cell group that Vers has had in place. I guarantee there are more out there. I'll even go so far to say that some people on the inner circles of our heroes, maybe spies and/or saboteurs as well. That doctor has been looking suspicious to me since the beginning.

And while Saazbaum is a traitor, he seems to be a smart one, and I doubt he would have trusted it all the Trillram, who is clearly an idiot. We as of yet don't know how many of the counts, or people on their staff, are in on this conspiracy as well. They could be helping. Also, I'm betting they also have technological means of communication and observation as well. Though, you're right, the fact that he's out of distance for communication might be a problem.

Quote:
Hmm. See, one thing is to have romantic elements and another one, very different, to have romantic drama proper of a soap opera (which makes it romance genre: polygons, etc.). The latter I doubt it will happen, so far the only triangle set up (and quite bluntly so: since the character introduction) is Marito, Yuki and Darzana that has a somewhat adult and humor element. That's exactly what I meant: even in Seed, where you can say there were 'switches', these were spoiled beforehand. They aren't concerned about it. The presentation of the triangle was fairly straightforward, Darzana introduced herself and in her second interaction of the very same episode, she set up a triangle openly.

I expect Marito and not Yuki to be the one who dies, if one of the two does.

Also, because this is a Gen Urobuchi show (at least he helped to assemble it), I expect a lesbian character or two.
Oh, I don't mean soap opera style romantic drama. Or even love polygon stuff. I'm thinking just simple, subtle, growing relationships between characters. Inaho and Inko getting closer, before a tragedy takes her out at a time for maximum suffering. I'm still leaning more on Yuki dying than Marito, since Yuki's usefulness seems to have vastly wained after this episode. Plus she seems to be better served as a first love that is killed in tragedy, only to have the more experienced and mature female (Darzana) pick up the pieces. Plus Yuki has had a lot of death flags since the very beginning, so a lot is stacked against her. Marito might have a Mu la Flaga death later on (the heroic sacrifice part, not the "he isn't dead" part ) but if he does, I think it will be after Yuki's death.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-07-21, 18:15   Link #1492
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
It isn't. But you never made any such clarification in what I was replying to there. What I was replying to was...

And later on in the same post...

In what I'm quoting here, you made no distinction between the Martian civilians and the Martian knights. You simply made a blanket reference to the "Vers Empire" or "empire", which seemed to me to be you using it as a catch-all term for both the civilians and the knights.
Okay, I'll admit that I wasn't as clear there as I thought I was.

Quote:
Again, what a writer chooses to show, and chooses not to show, matters. The old line of "show, don't tell" exists for a very good reason. What is showed/not showed causes certain impressions and suggestions to take hold in the mind of some, if not many, viewers.
So you want to be shown, not told, and when the anime shows you something about Asseylum that you don't expect (such as her giggling) you call it inconsistent characterization even though she's barely had any characterization at all? Maybe, rather than her being inconsistent, she's just not a 2D stereotype.

Quote:
Sure, but it's important to distinguish between what the viewer knows from what each character knows, because they're often not one and the same. The viewer has enough evidence to conclude "The Mars military are bad guys" without making any big assumptions, but did the Princess have enough evidence to conclude that without making some assumptions against them? I don't think that she did.
She knew that they invaded within hours and were trying to kill civilians. I don't think she needed to know more to make the determination that, whether or not the knights are good people at their core, what they were currently doing was bad and they needed to be stopped.

Quote:
This is blatantly ignoring highly important contextual facts for this firing action. The full context includes, as major points, that the person firing off the weapon is striving for peace,
I normally wouldn't split a sentence when I quote it, but this strikes me as particularly important to address directly. The goal of all decent soldiers is peace. Sometimes it is necessary to use force to obtain it. It appears that Asseylum is capable of recognizing that. She wants peace between Earth and the Vers Empire, but she is clearly NOT a pacifist.

Quote:
and that the person firing off the weapon is doing so as part of a military operation against one of the soldiers of her people's military, where the end game could easily involve the killing of that soldier.

Taking this all together, this can easily be seen as an odd and out of character action. Maybe you personally don't see it that way, but it should not be hard for you or anybody else to understand and acknowledge why some of us see it as odd and out of character. There is definitely a certain contradiction between loving/wanting peace and downright delighting in firing off a smoke bomb in a military operation that could easily result in the death of one of your people's soldiers.

If those of you defending this show could just accept this much criticism of the show, this tiny bit of criticism of the show, I'd happily move on from the entire debate. After all, I had no problem whatsoever with this post here. Why did I have no problem with that post? Because FlareKnight at least acknowledged, and I quote, "A bit of inner conflict would have been nice."

Is that really so hard for you and Esclair to admit to as well? That it would have been nice if a supposedly peace-loving person had shown a bit of inner conflict over taking these sorts of actions against one of her own people's soldiers?
Triple_R, forgive me if you've already stated the answer to this, because it's been a long thread and I don't know who said what so many pages back, but have you by any chance watched a bunch of the Gundam shows that have had so many peace-loving princesses? Because if so, I think that's part of the problem here. You might have Gundam-goggles on. Because you've repeatedly called Asseylum peace-loving and I don't think the show itself has done so.

The show has clearly shown that Asseylum doesn't want there to be a war between Earth and the Vers Empire, but that doesn't equate to her being peace-loving. The show has even demonstrated that Asseylum is willing to engage in violence should she judge it useful (her much-debated attack on Inaho). It could just be that she thinks that this war in particular is a bad idea.

Sure, that's just speculation at this point, but so is calling her peace-loving. Unless I've missed some line from her about how all wars are evil and must be stopped.

If Asseylum has had a line like that, or maybe a line against violence in general, then yeah, that makes her behavior after firing the rocket really bizarre. But I don't recall her having any lines like that.

Quote:
You can like a show, even love a show, without thinking its downright flawless. Yet some people on this thread seem to be insistent upon this show being downright flawless, given how some respond to the slightest bit of criticism that some of us voice of this show.
I don't think this show is flawless. I'm just willing to give it the chance to prove itself before I start jumping on it. I learned that lesson in this episode.

In this episode, I was almost yelling at my screen during Inaho's description of how Trillram's mech blocks electromagnetic waves, so therefore if must be getting a signal sent from elsewhere. "But the signal would also be an electromagnetic wave! That makes no sense! Don't these guys know anything about science?"

And then later in the episode they went and explained that there are small areas of the armor that the shield didn't cover and the signal was coming in through them. My complaint was premature.

I also have problems with the timeline. Under normal circumstances, it would be absurd to believe that an imperial society complete with nobility and ideas of racial supremacy could be founded from a 1970s-era foundation in so little time. But there are ways that it could be believable. Maybe Ray used alien technology to brainwash everyone. Or maybe he just found some neat weapons, gathered some like-minded assholes (the original knights), and they forced the rest of the inhabitants of Mars to join them at gunpoint, so we basically have a space!North Korea in which a bunch of people know how crappy things are but if they stick a tow out of line bad things happen. Are these just speculation? Sure. But they're plausible speculation. And since the writing team has probably put a lot more thought into this than I have, I'm willing to give them a chance to reveal their version of events before I start criticizing.

Quote:
So he expressed disgust over people trying to surrender to him. Without knowing Trillram personally, there's multiple ways to interpret that. One is that he might just be a patriot with too much pride to ever surrender to the enemy, so he finds similar behavior on the part of an enemy disgusting.
As you said to Anh_Min, this is pure speculation on your part.

Quote:
My subs had stronger wording than this. What you provided here does admittedly seem more reasonable and less presumptuous to me. So, fair enough, I now have less issue with how the Princess addressed the Martian mech. I still find it puzzling why she didn't ask to be brought to Cruhteo, however.
Because she had to prioritize. Before she could do anything else, she had to get him to stop attacking the civilians. If he had withdrawn as she ordered him to, rather than hold his position in the line of attack, then it would have been highly likely that a loyal knight would have reported her survival even without being ordered to. Anything else, well, there wasn't much time.

Quote:
No, I'm not forgetting that, but surprises can happen in war, to both/all sides. It's not inconceivable.
Trillram confessed to Slaine's face that he was trying to kill the princess. He couldn't even conceive that Slaine was going to kill him for it. It has been demonstrated that at least for some Martian knights, the idea that the humans of Earth could be a threat to them really is inconceivable.

Quote:
You mean like some full-length feature films with complete narratives?
You have a point there.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 18:24   Link #1493
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
I don't think I want to quibble over differences over what you consider frequent, and what I consider frequent, but in any event, one could argue that your position makes the Princess' Episode 3 characterization even more problematic.
/shrug, the numbers don't lie, how you want to feel about it is your prerogative, but by that logic one can also consider the nameless teacher/doctor dude as "frequent" character, so there's that. How that makes the Princess's characterization problematic however, is quite a stretch.

Quote:
One of the few things that Episode 1 makes clear about the Princess is that she wants peace between Earth and Mars.

I'd say what's strange here is your preconception of what someone "who wants peace", and what "people who enjoy shooting off guns in missions" should be like.

Wanting peace doesn't mean one must be an idealist or even a pacifist. Her actions can be considered pragmatic under the circumstances. Also, the reverse of your statement also implies that those who "enjoy shooting guns" must then not want/dislike peace, an assertion that I must say I find personally objectionable.

Quote:
Here's a hint, shooting stuff is fun, shooting grenade launchers esp. is a LOT of fun, it's not as if she was shooting at actual people. Frankly, her behavior falls inline from the way she behaved at the very start of ep.1, with an almost child-like curiosity and wonderment at anything Terran.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 18:51   Link #1494
MeggieMay

Just wanted to bring up something that hasn't been mentioned, or at least mention in a while. I think it's highly probable that the Princess may have had assassination attempts made on her before. I'm personally not so sure she's as sheltered to the extend some other posters think she has been (she may not know a lot about Earth but Mars is probably another matter).

Also, I would have to wonder if part of the idea of having the Princess first in line to the thrown was to have her married off to one of the Counts? Most European feudal kingdoms are male heir only affairs, so I'm not sure Assyllum was ever suppose to actually rule on her own to begin with.
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 19:07   Link #1495
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieMay View Post
Just wanted to bring up something that hasn't been mentioned, or at least mention in a while. I think it's highly probable that the Princess may have had assassination attempts made on her before. I'm personally not so sure she's as sheltered to the extend some other posters think she has been (she may not know a lot about Earth but Mars is probably another matter).

Also, I would have to wonder if part of the idea of having the Princess first in line to the thrown was to have her married off to one of the Counts? Most European feudal kingdoms are male heir only affairs, so I'm not sure Assyllum was ever suppose to actually rule on her own to begin with.
She seems kind of young for any of the counts. I mean young marriages have happened before, but if they did, they would have waited till she was of age. She's got about 3 or 4 years to go.

In terms of her facing other assassination attempts, it's possible, but I doubt it. She's never been to Earth before, and in Mars, they praise her as divine incarnate. It could be possible that some of the lower level Martians may have done something, but if so, it was obviously stopped, and I think a government like this would have made sure to make an example.

As for her being knowledgeable, I'm guessing it was all part of her teachings. She was probably taught a little self-defense and such in case anything happened. Yet, her idealistic nature, her highbrow stature, and sophisticated speech, still suggests that she's been sheltered.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-07-21, 19:09   Link #1496
Thess

Promised fanart part 1. I actually had a post ready but my power went down, since I'm lazy to reupload all, I'll go in parts. Character: Inaho. Misc. Trio pictures. Next post will have the rest.

Inaho:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Inaho and Slaine:
Images

Trio:
Images

Misc:
Images

Next post will have Asseylum and Slaine individual pictures, plus Inaho and Asseylum, and Slaine and Asseylum fanarts.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2014-07-21, 19:23   Link #1497
Irenesharda

Quote:

Kycilia Zabi would make a great inspiration for her as well, yeah.
According to ANN, MAL and some 2ch blogs, there's a female Martian knight named Femian (creative, I know. ) that's voiced by Yuki Kaida.

Since this lady is the only female knight I know, I'm guessing that's her name.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-07-21, 19:33   Link #1498
Thess

IT CANNOT BE. It's too easy to spell.

Old 2014-07-21, 19:34   Link #1499
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Why are things like walls desintegrated, but the blade from Inaho's mech not? Does this prove that the martian mech always has to spin his upper a bit while going through bigger objects to make sure that his weakspot is not accidently pierced by undesintegrated concrete?
It's possible he can cover up the weak points while walking through things like walls temporarily. The ventilation spot doesn't always need to be uncovered, as the air could probably last a fair amount of time.
Old 2014-07-21, 19:48   Link #1500
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Quote:
Images
Yes, I knew it there will be Valvrave theme fanart for A/Z. Massive kudos to that artist. Please keep finding more these fanarts Thess, especially any crossover with VVV. Unsurprisingly, Slaine look a lot like L-elf.

Last edited by DevilHighDxD; 2014-07-21 at 20:04.
DevilHighDxD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, sci-fi