Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-09, 16:42   Link #1
adevilinthedark
Bankai Master

Send a message via Yahoo to adevilinthedark
This is something that has long confused me.

What happens when all divisions in the Gotei 13 have captains and a new shinigami gets a Bankai? From what I understand, there are only two ways to become a Captain; One is to have a Bankai, and the other is to defeat a captain. So, if a Shinigami reached Bankai, wanted to be a captain, and all the divisions were filled; would it go to the second way and the shinigami would pick a captain to fight, or would they make an entirely new division?
Old 2007-06-09, 17:27   Link #2
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Not every Shinigami with Bankai automatically gets a captain rank.

I guess they'd have to test the Shinigami to see if he/she is more qualified than the current capt of that div.
Old 2007-06-09, 17:37   Link #3
forbidden1four56

Ya, but its hard to imagine that a shinigami wouldn't aspire to be captain unless they have some ulterior motive such as Ikkaku. Perhaps the other procedures such as recommendations by however captains and approval by the others are the procedures to create a new division of Soul Society. Because i'm pretty sure i remember Urahaha being referred to as the creator of the Technology thing or whatever. Maybe that means he created the 12th division.
Old 2007-06-09, 17:42   Link #4
Rahan

The Kenpachi-likes would pick a fight with a captain.
The others would wait until a spot becomes available. Hitsugaya is young and not the kind of guy who would fight to death (otherwise there still would be a bankai guy without a division) for promotion. Gin, Byakuya, Tousen and Komamura don't seem to be too old either. And I am not talking about Soi Fong and Mayuri who probably took over after the Sandal Hat and his
Same with the vice-captains. Some of them are young (Renji, Hinamori, Kira, Hisagi ...).

Even the strongest shinigamis may die (or leave for at least 2 of them) and have to be replaced. The turnover rate seems to be high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbidden1four56 View Post
Ya, but its hard to imagine that a shinigami wouldn't aspire to be captain unless they have some ulterior motive such as Ikkaku. Perhaps the other procedures such as recommendations by however captains and approval by the others are the procedures to create a new division of Soul Society. Because i'm pretty sure i remember Urahaha being referred to as the creator of the Technology thing or whatever. Maybe that means he created the 12th division.
Well, in our world's armies, everybody wants to be promoted, yet the most capable soldiers don't end up beating up their superiors or asking for the creation of a new corps they could lead.
Old 2007-06-09, 18:06   Link #5
adevilinthedark
Bankai Master

Send a message via Yahoo to adevilinthedark
That is why this confuses me so much.^
Old 2007-06-10, 04:50   Link #6
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
What happens when all divisions in the Gotei 13 have captains and a new shinigami gets a Bankai? From what I understand, there are only two ways to become a Captain; One is to have a Bankai, and the other is to defeat a captain. So, if a Shinigami reached Bankai, wanted to be a captain, and all the divisions were filled; would it go to the second way and the shinigami would pick a captain to fight, or would they make an entirely new division?

The information on how to become captain class is given in chapter 146 by tousen during his fight with Zaraki.

1. Their is a Captain qualification test, which is supervised by 3 captains including the commander

2. The Second way is referral from 6 or more captains and approval from 3 of the remaining 7

3. Defeat the current captain in a one on one battle where 200 members of the division are witness. (Zaraki became Captain this way).

Its part of the shinigami qualification test is to have Bankai. I'm going to automatically assume that none of the other captains are going to refer someone unless they have Bankai.

I think if you defeat the current captain... Its implied you become that squad's captain.

I'm going to assuming that the other two only can happen if theirs opening for captains. I think the reason the Kill the captain method exists, is an old method, for the case which if their is the superior officer is not captain. Its obvious that Shinigami don't include personality traits for who get's to captain, so I can see them having such a brutal method for such scenarios.
Old 2007-06-17, 10:28   Link #7
Aime
Lo Siento Mucho!

doesn't Renji have a bankai? he is not a captain either... I suppose it works like any regular job, you might think you are just as good as your boss but that doesn't mean you automatically get the position :P . There is some bureaucracy involved.
Old 2007-06-17, 16:38   Link #8
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Except Renji's boss is Baykuya and its pretty obvious that Renji isn't as good as Baykuya yet. He got his ass royally kicked last time. and speed being unable to use shunpou is a major handicap.
Old 2007-06-17, 17:22   Link #9
Strike101

@ashesatdusk i was just gonna post that ^^ , anyway that answers it all
Old 2007-06-17, 17:24   Link #10
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
Except Renji's boss is Baykuya and its pretty obvious that Renji isn't as good as Baykuya yet. He got his ass royally kicked last time. and speed being unable to use shunpou is a major handicap.
So what ? You are not stuck for life in a division once you join it.
Gin used to be under Aizen. When he was promoted to captain, he joined another division.
Ikkaku was asked to become captain of the 3rd, 5th or 9th division, not to kick Kenpachi's butt and take his place.
Closed Thread