AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-29, 19:51   Link #801
achirist

I took this episode as rather straight-forward melodramatic manipulation of the audience; leading us to believe that he was dead twice before finally showing him alive. I hadn't thought otherwise before reading this thread...frankly, I no longer cared by the end whether he was dead or not, and I hope it's resolved quickly in the next episode, because this is bad filler, and I think they could have settled on a four-part OVA instead.
achirist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 19:58   Link #802
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Personally I didn't mind the twist the series took though. As I mentioned earlier, when the series qualified itself as realistic, it can perfectly be that it only referred to the physical facts (aka plot, setting) that it presents us. However, the storytelling techniques are another matter altogether. It certainly is not something new or revolutionary, however IMHO it adds some needed spice to this series. I don't quite trust in BONES' ability to take it to fruition, but so far the show hasn't done anything that would make me post photos of my destroyed TM8 merchandise on my blog.
Hang on to those Robotaku Rescue Robot Playsets - they may be worth a bundle on Ebay someday.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 20:04   Link #803
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hey, as someone who was a robot otaku himself during college I appreciated the shout out.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 20:18   Link #804
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I see that some are still ignoring the fact this is a *japanese* drama and not a US primetime docudrama. It simply won't have the exact same literary rules.
The trope in question isn't foreign to Western story telling (Gaius Baltar, anyone?) and doesn't become more rich, smart, natural, or excusable by default by popping up in a Japanese work. If you want to draw the cultural card here, you have the burden of proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I heartily endorse the view that it's a "patethic own goal" for the series, as Slice of Life so capably phrased it.
*cough* That was Tiny Red Leaf who's significantly more skilled in capably phrasing things than I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
but so far the show hasn't done anything that would make me post photos of my destroyed TM8 merchandise on my blog.
I did that as soon the non-virginal state of Mari was confirmed, of course.
Old 2009-08-29, 20:24   Link #805
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
I did that as soon the non-virginal state of Mari was confirmed, of course.
I have no clue what your metaphorical point was with this, but that sounded so wrong on every level.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 20:36   Link #806
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I have no clue what your metaphorical point was with this, but that sounded so wrong on every level.
Just a joke that refers to the Kannagi manga where some (one?) otaku apparently did that (destroying the merchandise or something) after the author mentioned a former boyfriend of the main heroine and thus implyied that Kannagi is "damaged goods". Yes, it is wrong on every level.

Last edited by Slice of Life; 2009-08-29 at 21:28.
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 20:45   Link #807
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

My heartfelt apologies to TRL - that was a great line, and credit should go where it deserves.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 20:51   Link #808
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Just a joke that refers to the Kannagi manga where some (one?) otaku apparently did that (destroying the merchandise or something) after the author mentioned a former boyfriend of the main heroine and thus implyied that Kannagi is "damaged goods". Yes, it is wrong on every level.
Oh yes the Kannagi none-virgin fallout. Can't imagine for the life of me how people can get so worked up over it. Doesn't change the fact that Nagi's still awesome of course.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 21:30   Link #809
rabbitking

Spoiler for ep 7:
rabbitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 00:15   Link #810
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I'll just quote from the opening disclaimer text before I give my very straightforward reaction to episode 08:

"This work of fiction surrounding the circumstances of a massive earthquake is based on tremendous amounts of research and verification.

Striving for a sense of realism many simulations were thought of to create this original story, however, circumstances may be different from the real thing."

I didn't see anything in this episode that didn't fit the bill. Even if Yuuki is dead and Mirai is in denial I think they've played it impeccably well so far. This could have easily been overwrought, but instead it's all played very low key, which is something I am very fond of when it comes to artistic devices like getting inside a characters head to see what they are going through. It's about slowly helping you relate to the character before they open up completely too you instead of everything all just coming out at once. Something I know a lot of writers can barely resist anymore these days.

An attempt at realism shouldn't forbid some artistic licence in my eyes, so this is still very good television so far. Of course if Yuuki turns out to be a newtype ghost or something later on I'll be changing my mind, but so far it looks like the very powerful imagination of a child giving herself a coping device and one last chance to play the role of an older sister properly.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 01:46   Link #811
noir_kirika

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
For argument's sake, let's say Yuuki is dead.

Now, why would the hospital allow Mari to sign the death certificate when she's technically a stranger? It's not as though Mirai, Yuuki's next-of-kin, isn't available to be a witness. Even if she weren't of age to sign the document, I would think that's easily circumvented by having Mari countersign for Mirai.

Secondly, is it normal to leave your brother's body behind at a hospital while you march on happily home?

If Mari were to allow that, on account of Mirai's grief, then she's in serious dereliction of customary duty, in my opinion.

After all, we've already seen in Ep5 how families would stay behind to mourn besides the bodies of their dearly departed. Is it even plausible for Mari to allow Mirai walk home alone, delusions aside, when she should instead be at her brother's side while Mari struggles to get home to inform their parents, assuming they are still alive?

I mean, is it ok to leave the body of little boy behind at a morgue, as though it were just another John Doe??
See, I don't think he was left behind. His ashes might be in the backpack. It might explains why there are quite a few comments on it's weight....
noir_kirika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 01:58   Link #812
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

hospitals don't just cremate (sp?) children without the consent of parents. They don't cremate at all I think.
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 02:38   Link #813
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Looks like Mirai has finally lost it, I'll enjoy watching her in utter despair when...

Spoiler:

Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 02:45   Link #814
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
hospitals don't just cremate (sp?) children without the consent of parents. They don't cremate at all I think.
Cremation is typically done at a funeral parlor in developed countries. In some cases though they do it right at the cemetary, but not the hospital.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 05:35   Link #815
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Heh, people thought that episode was melodramatic and all, but that exact same thing happened to me last year. People thought it was a heatstroke/stroke and I needed surgery and all. I can almost make light of it now, but almost everyone, including me thought it was all over.

And lol at the double-death scenes + Yuuki missing. It could be interesting if that were real, but I somehow doubt it.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 10:42   Link #816
usagijen

All I can say after watching episode 8 is that...
usagijen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 12:28   Link #817
signorRossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagijen View Post
All I can say after watching episode 8 is that...
LOL, don't miss the comments.

And I am amazed that this episode would stir up such a discussion. I myself didn't get 'the fact' in this episode too, but then again I wanted to drop TM anyway and skimmed only through it. I am disappointed with this Noitamina show and the last episode didn't change that either, as it should have been much gritter from the beginning.

signorRossi.
signorRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 12:47   Link #818
Dop
Mmmm....

Crikey!
Spoiler for ep.8:

Of course, next week I could be proven wrong, but I hope I'm correct in my interpretation.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 12:51   Link #819
durack

After rewatching the episode, I must say that Mari's expression was priceless.

A friend of mine once had a situation where his ex-roommate once showed up at his house and (among other things) announced that he was Jesus Christ. My friend probably had a similar expression on his face at that time.
durack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 14:58   Link #820
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Oh boy, Yuuki is so dead no matter which way you slice it. He may have done a good faker when the tokyo tower fell on top of them but this time he is truly dead. All I can see is Mirai going emo when she comes to her senses but beats me why Mari hasn't snapped her out of it yet. Sympathy? Well it is just going to hurt a damn lot more the longer this delusion draws on for.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, japan, noitamina, tragedy