AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-11-19, 18:35   Link #1
dm85

PSP Subtitles Issues (Converting MKV to Mp4)

Hello all. I was hoping for a bit of advice on this issue..

I've spent the last 6+ hours researching Xvid4PSP and the possible ways to hardcode a subtitle so it'll show up on my psp once it's converted.

From what I read the option only allows an already seperate subtitle file to be hardcoded for conversion. The problem is, I'm not sure what this file falls under (soft or hard). I was watching Nodame Cantabile (The 1st Season) on my psp until I ran into a problem at episode 13 I believe. I noticed that the subs wouldn't pop up and upon further inspection of the original files I realized that there was an option to remove the subtitles manually (using Media Player Classic). 1-12 had no such option. Though they pop up by default. So the question is..if the subs aren't a seperate file already is there an option to force them to be hardcoded? Note: I haven't actually tried encoding the file yet to see if it does a better job then PSP9Video. I probably will test it out after this post. I also stumbled upon a program called MKVExtractGUI which allows a person to extract the subtitles into a seperate file. I haven't researched it yet.

Long story short..Any advice on the issue is most appeciatted. If the process becomes to cumbersome I'll probably go back to avi. Besides all I really want is to enjoy new anime coming out so I can possibly purchase it in the future .

Edit: Well no one replied at all -_-. No big. Found a post by Salt that has an easy solution for it. http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=47693. Sorry for the useless post.

Last edited by dm85; 2008-11-19 at 21:36. Reason: Found A Solution
dm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-21, 04:00   Link #2
Shadow Kira01

I didn't see this thread before going to sleep. It's good that you already found a solution or two, but just to add..

There is an easier method.

Step 1: Convert the mkv using AllToAvi.
Step 2: Convert the xvid using PSPVideo9.

For the people who bought the Max Media Manager, which is around 20 bucks. You can convert xvid using it too, but the resulting mp4 file will be somewhat larger in size compared to PSPVideo 9 conversions. The quality is pretty much the same.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-21, 23:35   Link #3
dm85

Thanks for the alternative. I may try it out to see which of the two offers a better quality.
Old 2008-11-23, 02:52   Link #4
Z3120

It's been months since I've last converted an anime episode to watch on my PSP, but I do recall being fed up with PSPVideo9. XVid4PSP was much better interface and had quite a few more options for me I preferred. Anyway, I remember I used one of the MKV tools to rip the subs from mkvs and inserted the subs that were extracted with the Subtitle tab you see on XVid4PSP. Not sure what you mean by hardcode but ever since I've used MKVtoolnix with MKVExtractGui in it, I've been able to watch all mkvs subbed fine on my PSP. My bad if this didn't help.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 11:25   Link #5
boonkiat89

Smile Solution to mkv to mp4 with subs

You can configure ffdshow's video decoder configuration
tick subtitles , tick accept embedded subtitles click ok.
After that , subs should appear in your preview screen.
Hope this helps
boonkiat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-25, 16:49   Link #6
martino
makes no files now

That's not really a solution since AFAIK ffdshow's internal subtitle renderer is not very complete.
Old 2008-11-26, 03:07   Link #7
dm85

ffdshow seemed to have solved the problem. To be fair though I have yet to pick the series back up since then so I'm not sure if there will be any issues. I'm curious to know what you mean martino if you don't mind elaborating a bit? Just out of curiousity really.

I've been reading a bit of fansub related conversation that's been going on at ANN..ugh it gives me a headache and makes me not want to continue downloading fansubs. That's a bit offtopic though..
Old 2008-11-26, 09:50   Link #8
boonkiat89

But compared to using mkvextract , i think ffdshow is better
boonkiat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 11:05   Link #9
martino
makes no files now

Look, all you need to do is set auto-loading of subtitles in CCCP's settings. It will save you a lot of nasty things.

@dm85: VSFilter is the standard implementation of ASS. FFDShow has barely implemented the basic commands. In other words, the subtitles will not look how they are supposed to.

@boonkiat89: What does mkvextract have to do with this?
Old 2008-11-26, 13:28   Link #10
dm85

Do you mean VSFilter Sub-Picture Buffering?

Old 2008-11-26, 14:27   Link #11
martino
makes no files now

No. Autoload VSFilter.
Old 2008-11-26, 17:14   Link #12
dm85

ic I'll go ahead and try that when I get the chance. Thankie.
Old 2008-12-01, 01:37   Link #13
dm85

I've only seen a few episodes lately. Been having a bit of trouble with it losing synch, usually between video and audio, but they were encoded with pspvideo9 so I'm sticking to xvid4psp for now.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good guide/faq for Xvid4psp. The one on their main forum is...lacking v.v.
Old 2008-12-01, 04:33   Link #14
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Converting softsubbed MKVs to hardsubbed MP4s for your PSP is extremely easy with Xvid4PSP.

1. Have CCCP
2. Check Autoload VSFilter in CCCP settings page 2
3. Convert videos with XviD4PSP

And that's it.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 14:13   Link #15
dm85

I already know all that now -_-.

I'm just looking for an in-depth faq so I can get familiar with more of the options.
Old 2008-12-01, 15:00   Link #16
Sides

AFAIK, like most tools, XviD4PSP is based around avisynth and other tools, i.e. ffmpeg and more. Thing is, it is packaged pretty good, with the predefined profiles for designated target machines.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 12:07   Link #17
MolRok

I use MelodyCan. It is the best, easiest and fastest converter I found. You can try it)
MolRok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 04:31   Link #18
brypally

Daiz way is the easiest im really glad that i was able to find these forum xD~~
brypally is offline   Reply With Quote