AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-10-14, 00:04   Link #1
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

But it's a girls show...

So I was talking to a guy in a strategy game and it comes up that he really likes dark shows. I do too so we get to talking and so of course I recommend to him that he watch Madoka Magica and here is a rough transcript of what followed (other guy was named Lucci, which is how i figured out he was into anime so I've preserved his name):

Me: It really is the Evangelion of magical girl shows...

Lucci: Uh huh, maybe I will watch it after I finish Gintama...

Me: somehow i don't believe you...

Lucci: Well I dunno if i'll watch it it's a girls show.

Me: ...but it's really dark and intense. I promise it's awesome.

Lucci: Yeah, I know I read a review.

Me: But you don't believe me.

Lucci: I just don't really like girls shows

Me: You said you like Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero, this is by the same writer...

Lucci: Really?

Me: Yes.

Lucci: But it's a totally different kind of show.

Me: There's a lot of similarities...

Lucci: But it's a girls show

Me: I promise you, it's one of the best anime ever. It's free on crunchyroll.

Lucci: Thank for the rec, but I don't like girls shows.

At this point I was about to slit my wrists in frustration. What else can you say to someone like this?
NinjaRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:05   Link #2
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Their loss really; nothing to be done.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:14   Link #3
HasuMasu
*Artist

I watch girl shows all the time.
Old 2012-10-14, 00:15   Link #4
leokiko

If he was a close friend of yours, I would really have made fun of him.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:16   Link #5
brocko

It's a girls show. Don't be a girl and watch the girl show for girls.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:17   Link #6
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
It's interesting. What made him think it's a girl show? If it's about the "magical girl" genre, sure a great many of them are shoujo, but anime like MSLN are shounen/seinen, so that's a pretty bad generalization of "girl show" imo.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:20   Link #7
brocko

As soon as there's Magical Girls that's pretty much an instant girl-show label for those not as entrenched into the fandom. All Magical Girl shows suffer from this, even the less girly ones like Nanoha and Madoka are not immune.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2012-10-14, 00:20   Link #8
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Well it's like I'd watch Gurren Lagunn but I wouldn't dare watch anything to do with Code Geass. Maybe your friend will wise up later that quality doesn't have anything to do with genders. Princess Tutu suffers from the same prejudice state of mind.
Old 2012-10-14, 00:20   Link #9
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post

Lucci: Yeah, I know I read a review.
Yeah, blame him for reading a review. Then blame it to the person who made the review..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:21   Link #10
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Letting others know what you like is one thing. But, angsting over trying to make someone else like what you like? Life's too short.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:24   Link #11
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
It's interesting. What made him think it's a girl show? If it's about the "magical girl" genre, sure a great many of them are shoujo, but anime like MSLN are shounen/seinen, so that's a pretty bad generalization of "girl show" imo.
Some people just automatically assume that if the protagonist and all the main characters are girls, it's a show for girl.

For example, people often assume Angelic Layer is a girl's show even though it is one of the most badass shounen fighters ever.

Weirdly this same guy who refued my Madoka rec told me that Higurashi was one of his favorites. I wonder why he didn't conclude that was a girls show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Letting others know what you like is one thing. But, angsting over trying to make someone else like what you like? Life's too short.
I'm not so much upset that he wasn't interested in watching the show as stunned and flabbergasted at his reasoning for why.
NinjaRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:29   Link #12
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I watch stuff made for little kids a lot. What matters is not what the target audience is, but whether it appeals to me.

And that's ignoring the fact that Madoka Magica is not made for girls anyway.

Perhaps the other guy just isn't into the kind of genre or style that Madoka Magica has, but he doesn't know the correct way to express why he isn't interested so he uses the target audience excuse.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:30   Link #13
brocko

It's just pre-ingrained perceptions.

Madoka and Angelic Layer are girl shows because:
a) Main character is a girl
b) Promo material is girlishly themed (pink artwork, frilly dresses, wings, etc.)

Higurashi is not girly because:
a) frequent bloodshed and murder
b) promo artwork predominantly feature dark colours indicating horror and darkish themes, even the title screen is a simple white text on black background (i.e uncute, girls get attracted to cute things) with blood splatters (blood being something girls typically do not enjoy and squirm at)

It's really an overly simplification of things but I hope at least the point comes across.

Cartoons and anime in general also suffer from the same thing, being instantly dismissed as kiddy entertainment for children.

Old 2012-10-14, 00:33   Link #14
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post
I wonder why he didn't conclude that was a girls show?
Probably because of the male lead.. He or rather many assumes that when the MC is a girl and there are a lot of girls as supporting cast then its a "girly show"

The opposite happens... female lead with a lot of male supporting cast is a ... wait.. its girly show as well?!

Anyway.... male lead plus many girl supporting cast is assumed as harem and is a "manly show..."
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 00:36   Link #15
brocko

I'm sure if you'd show anyone outside of the inner fandom any harem show, they'd still call it a girls show.

To them, not a girls show is stuff like action shounen and the like.

I've had people see me watching Binbogami and ask me why I was watching a girls cartoon, even if it was suppose to be a rather gender neutral show or even slightly more male targeted show.

Old 2012-10-14, 00:49   Link #16
sa547
*Author

@TS: I suppose that you could fast-forward to (in)famous episode 3 and see if that'll change his mind, and then go back to the first two episodes.
Old 2012-10-14, 01:47   Link #17
Dr. Casey

We're all girls on the inside.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 01:59   Link #18
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ *Looks inside shirt* I wish.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 02:00   Link #19
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Brocko basically has it right.

The whole "Appeal to young, adult men by having a cast thoroughly dominated by cute teenage girls in cute attire doing cute things (generally not including sex)" is a completely foreign (it not utterly bizarre) concept in the west (unless you're deep into the anime and/or eroge fandom).

I remember initially having the hardest time wrapping my head around the idea that K-On! is actually aimed at a young adult male audience. It really is very counter-intuitive to how entertainment works in the west.

What I'd suggest saying to your friend is this: "I know that it looks girly, but in the country that it's made, it's target audience is young adult men. And if you watch 3 or more episodes of it, you'll see why. The aesthetics are part of the dramatic twist to the show."

Also, if your friend is familiar with comic books, you might want to compare Madoka Magica to The Watchmen, and say "Just as the Watchmen uses superhero-esque attire to make its deconstructive aims more effective, Madoka Magica does the same with magical girl-esque attire."

If none of the above works on him, then you might just have to give up on him. Some people have mental blocks that they just can't get pass, sadly.
Old 2012-10-14, 02:18   Link #20
Warm Mist

Why is half-naked men touching each other shamelessly considered 'for men'? At any rate I'd say a male who won't watch something because it has too much girls is either gay or asexual.

Tell that to him. That he is gay for watching shows only about men, and that he should care more for shows about girls if he wants to preserve his "macho" image.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote