Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-08-13, 23:05   Link #281
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebby
i was wondering what is the best technique to learn japanese, and also if any you guys fluent in it would like to give me some tips n maybe help me a lil?
A class.

Some people here buy their own books and self-study, but I don't know how well that works.

If you're looking for something relatively simple to do on your own, you can memorize kana.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 12:38   Link #282
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
It's amazing how this thread keeps getting bumped.

I recently found an excellent book for the English speaker learning Japanese that I haven't seen mentioned on this thread or board (if it has been mentioned, please don't skewer me).

Remembering the Kanji
The learning method is much, MUCH different than normal, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Different methods work differently for different people.

I downloaded the entire first volume off of that site before, but today it seems only a "preview" version is available. Amazon.com carries the full version of the first two volumes.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 02:22   Link #283
Shini_GamI
YuI

Send a message via MSN to Shini_GamI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebby
i was wondering what is the best technique to learn japanese, and also if any you guys fluent in it would like to give me some tips n maybe help me a lil?
at first, learn hiragana, then to katakana.... (practice make perfect )dont worry about kanji now, unless you are chinese background or for some reason you know a lot of chinese characters
i dont really have any tips, though im not saying im very fluent in japanese, but! once you know how the particles(eg. ”と” OR ”に” etc....) and how sentences structure works, then everything will be a lot easier, goodluck :P
Shini_GamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 12:58   Link #284
i0td

I recommend classes. You get that "hands-on" training with teacher and classmates that is hard to duplicate with self-study. But that doesn't mean you should not be studying on your own either. Whatever works best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai
Remembering the Kanji
The learning method is much, MUCH different than normal, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Different methods work differently for different people.
I actually found this book very helpful. The technique that the author employs is the use of mnemonics. Once you get the basic kanji down using picture/character memorization, you basically stack those characters together to form the more advanced kanji and make up stories along the way to help you memorize those new words. Just know that vocabulary is the biggest part of any language. You will need to memorize your Japanese vocabulary one way or another.

Good luck to you. Learn as much as you can
i0td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 02:33   Link #285
meeyuki93

Ohayo..everyone!! uu know learnin Japanese..is kinda fun ^_~..so anyone here go for Japanese Lessons??..
meeyuki93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 02:56   Link #286
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeyuki93
Ohayo..everyone!! uu know learnin Japanese..is kinda fun ^_~..so anyone here go for Japanese Lessons??..
Yes! Starting in September \(^^)/
I resigned in order to study it at university... just a few weeks notice period and a new fresh start for me

@Hebby: For self-study, you should take a look at the Genki books ( http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/index.en.html ). It's quite good and compared to the online stuff, you actually learn something ^^
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 13:21   Link #287
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Is there anyone going to sit for the Japanese Language Proficiency Test in December?

I have studied in some weekend classes for about a year till July and has been self-studing since then. Still there is a way to go before I can reach the required level of passing level 2 of the exam. Now I am "forcing" myself to watch at least 2 episodes of anime a day. Hope that it will help in the listening section, the part that I am supposed to be the weakest in.

Last edited by Doraneko; 2006-08-19 at 13:35.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 14:21   Link #288
moofie

I took the level 3 JLPT test in Dec 02 and got my shiny certificate in the following March Regular anime watching really helped my listening for when I first started lessons. But I eventually finished university and without regular classes I'm stuck around the same level, if not worse. We used the first 'minna no nihongo' textbook to learn in class. I gotta find the next one for an attempt at self study...
moofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-21, 10:08   Link #289
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

By the way which do you think is the best way of training one's Japanese listening comprehension by use of anime?

1. watching it with subs of his mother-tongue
2. watching it with English subs
3. watching it with Japanese subs
4. watching it in the raw format

The subtitles do help me to better understand the dialogues, but it sometimes distract me too much that I lose my focus on the spoken language itself. When watching without the subtitles, I can probably understand 50-70% of the content, yet it is relatively more difficult for me to expand my vocabulary.
Old 2006-08-21, 10:23   Link #290
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko
By the way which do you think is the best way of training one's Japanese listening comprehension by use of anime?

1. watching it with subs of his mother-tongue
2. watching it with English subs
3. watching it with Japanese subs
4. watching it in the raw format

The subtitles do help me to better understand the dialogues, but it sometimes distract me too much that I lose my focus on the spoken language itself. When watching without the subtitles, I can probably understand 50-70% of the content, yet it is relatively more difficult for me to expand my vocabulary.
I agree. At a certain point it is probably better without the subs. As for learning the basic things though the subs are a pretty usefull tool. I still can't do well without them but I think its about time I get in serious learning business with RAWS. I'd suggest RAWS as the best for learning because it pressures you to understand.
Old 2006-08-21, 12:06   Link #291
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Quote:
Is there anyone going to sit for the Japanese Language Proficiency Test in December?

I have studied in some weekend classes for about a year till July and has been self-studing since then. Still there is a way to go before I can reach the required level of passing level 2 of the exam. Now I am "forcing" myself to watch at least 2 episodes of anime a day. Hope that it will help in the listening section, the part that I am supposed to be the weakest in.
Not to sound pessimistic, or to be doubting your capacities, but I don't think you'd be able to pass level 2 with only one year of week-end classes...

Personnally, I've been willing to pass level 1 this year, but I think i'm gonna crash right into a big wall.

Actually, I think both watching subbed versions and raws can bring you something. On the other hand, Since I came to Japan, I've been watching movies in languages I don't know ( Korean, Chinese, etc...) subbed in Japanese and I can tell you it's an... exhausting exercise...

On the contrary, watching movies in your language ( as for me, french) subbed in Japanese can be interesting too. For instance, characters use very natural expressions in your language, you can read how a Japanese would translate that in the most natural way. Of course, it depends on the context, but it helps a lot as well, in my humble opinion.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-21, 12:29   Link #292
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaël
Not to sound pessimistic, or to be doubting your capacities, but I don't think you'd be able to pass level 2 with only one year of week-end classes...

Personnally, I've been willing to pass level 1 this year, but I think i'm gonna crash right into a big wall.

Actually, I think both watching subbed versions and raws can bring you something. On the other hand, Since I came to Japan, I've been watching movies in languages I don't know ( Korean, Chinese, etc...) subbed in Japanese and I can tell you it's an... exhausting exercise...

On the contrary, watching movies in your language ( as for me, french) subbed in Japanese can be interesting too. For instance, characters use very natural expressions in your language, you can read how a Japanese would translate that in the most natural way. Of course, it depends on the context, but it helps a lot as well, in my humble opinion.

I may possibly end up with a failed grade if I take the exam, but it would be a 100% failure if I didn't try my best. :P

Anyway the weekend classes only covered up to level 4. To me the most important part is this summer vacation, which I have been spending about 10 hours a day on self-studying. So far I have satisfactory scores on the mock papers. But the listening is the weakest part nonetheless since my language skills are from dead books instead of living teachers. Still, three months for me to go :P. Back in December I couldn't even read manga, but I could already read novels at ease by June.

And yea, some of my firends got the level-2 pass after studying for only 6 months. Not sure if it matters, but we are from China/Hong Kong by the way.

For your level 1 exam, since there are still quite some time till December, I am sure you can pass it if you turn yourself into full exam-preparation mode. And even if you failed it wouldn't hurt at all. At least you have gained real expereince in dealing with the exam, making your chance of passing the next one much higher. It is certainly better than doing nothing this year and wait till 2007 to make your first attempt.

Not to mention that you have been studying in Japan , a truly decisive factor when determining your capability in the language.

Anyway I have never watch any non-Japanese movies in Japanese subs since it is totally unheard of in my city, let alone accessible. Probably following the subs alone would make my head spins.
Old 2006-08-21, 12:40   Link #293
raphaël
trainee archangel

Quote:
I may possibly end up with a failed grade if I take the exam, but it would be a 100% failure if I didn't try my best. :P
Yeah, sorry, of course you're right. That's a very Japanese frame of mind you have here. lol

Quote:
Anyway the weekend classes only covered up to level 4. To me the most important part is this summer vacation, which I have been spending about 10 hours a day on self-studying. So far I have satisfactory scores on the mock papers. But the listening is the weakest part nonetheless since my language skills are from dead books instead of living teachers. Still, three months for me to go :P. Back in December I couldn't even read manga, but I could already read novels at ease by June.
Now I understand better. Good luck then.

Quote:
And yea, some of my firends got the level-2 pass after studying for only 6 months. Not sure if it matters, but we are from China/Hong Kong by the way.
It does matter.

Quote:
Anyway I have never watch any non-Japanese movies in Japanese subs since it is totally unheard of in my city, let alone accessible. Probably following the subs alone would make my head spins.
I was just mentioning it. Of course you don't find Japanese subs everywhere around.

And as for me, well... My situation is much different, so... I don't want to talk about it, actually.
Just know that I studied Japanese in the university, so that's another point of view, I guess...
Old 2006-08-21, 13:56   Link #294
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:

At this point, my skills are so deteriorated I'd likely be passing level 3 by the skin of my teeth.

If you're using anime for the sole purpose of training listening comprehension (and not to, y'know, enjoy it) I'd skip the anime and try to find J-drama.

The little bit I've seen, I already know it would help more than anime would.
People speak a bit more...normally, and at a faster pace which forces you to keep up.
Old 2006-08-21, 15:53   Link #295
raphaël
trainee archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
If you're using anime for the sole purpose of training listening comprehension (and not to, y'know, enjoy it) I'd skip the anime and try to find J-drama.

The little bit I've seen, I already know it would help more than anime would.
People speak a bit more...normally, and at a faster pace which forces you to keep up.
Right, but this can be quite depressing too. You must know what I mean. I've been translating a drama so I know what it's like. At least in that one, they don't speak "normally". Drama are very talkative. Japanese usually aren't.

But yeah, that's an even better exercise. Then seeing actual faces of speaking people helps a lot too, in my opinion.
Old 2006-08-21, 18:11   Link #296
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Exactly. Thats what I did. Although that got me into K-drama shortly after for better comedy. And there goes my learning of Japanese. >.<

Anyway. If you manage to keep on with Jdramas only it probably will pay some day.
Old 2006-08-22, 11:17   Link #297
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Well, the part on "forcing myself" to watch 2 anime episodes a day is not supposed to be taken literally. That's why the word "forcing" in my last message was in quotation marks.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion. I have seen some J-drama dubbed in my native language few years ago. Still I couldn't manage to sit through the episodes without falling asleep. Are the recent ones better? It would be great if you could give me a few suggestions. Thanks.
Old 2006-08-23, 15:49   Link #298
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Are the recent ones better? It would be great if you could give me a few suggestions. Thanks.
Not to take over for Raikage, I have a few suggestion myself I would'nt mind sharing with you. ^^

GTO [Great Teacher Onizuka] An easy but very effective jdrama. A unqualified teacher takes over the worst class of the school. Great stuff. If you have seen Gokusen(anime or L-A) you'll definitely like that one.

L'Oiseau Bleue More if your into classic dramatic dramas. A very good story loaded with emotion. Not to try if your a bit depress.

Densha Otoko And finaly the funniest one I saw yet. Probably because I like laughing at the clumsiness of others. At the same time learn about OTAKUS.
Old 2006-08-26, 12:31   Link #299
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I was curious to know, does anybody know of a good company to buy from for learning foreign languages and learning Japanese via interactive software, i.e. a Learning Japanese software package with CD or DVD, allowing one to learn on the computer with means such as interactive menus, texts, and lessons, and hearing samples so one can better master correct pronounciation? I'm sure every has gotten the point by now, I am just being very thorough as I am really interested in learning the Japanese language, and I think this could be one of several means to help me pick up the basics and intermediate knowledge of the language in a relatively short time. So, any recommendations of a software company I should go with specializing in teaching Japanese/foreign languages?

Thanks to anybody who can help me out.
Old 2006-08-26, 18:33   Link #300
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Anyway thanks for the suggestion. I have seen some J-drama dubbed in my native language few years ago. Still I couldn't manage to sit through the episodes without falling asleep. Are the recent ones better? It would be great if you could give me a few suggestions. Thanks.
Whoops! Sorry I haven't responded.

I actually don't know what you can watch -- I occasionally get Japanese television shows on a local independent station, San Francisco having the strong Asian influence it does.

I guess go with what Jojo recommended?

Urzu, I have no idea what kinds of software you could use.

Tags
hiragana