Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-10-22, 09:04   Link #1941
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You mean RomCom series have happy endings ?!

Well duh.

Though I heard Nisio Isin has the tendency to do bad endings if that's what you're looking for.

As for me, after a string of disappointment in plot developments from various series like IS and some others, I'm now wary of any titles from MF Bunko J... >.>

I guess I'll just stick to Dengeki Bunko titles.
Dood.....HAGANAI!!!

Just because HnA is spiralling downwards into a pit of WTF that only Double A is worth reading now doesn't mean MF Bunko sucks...
Old 2011-10-22, 09:11   Link #1942
HasuMasu
*Artist

B-but I like the magic and stuff...
Old 2011-10-22, 09:30   Link #1943
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
B-but I like the magic and stuff...
It's not magic and stuff per se; it's the execution....I mean if it were like Shana or Index (ie in a serious kind of way) then I'd have no problem....

The way it's going now is like some cheap cartoon....
Old 2011-10-22, 10:24   Link #1944
tsunade666

the romcom stuff is still fine but throwing fantasy characters out of no where and making the main character useless is a useless development.

Heck Kinji might not be even beat her sister if not for hysteria mode of a girl in Tohyama family.
Old 2011-10-22, 10:42   Link #1945
larethian

Quote:
You mean RomCom series have happy endings ?!

Well duh.

Though I heard Nisio Isin has the tendency to do bad endings if that's what you're looking for.

As for me, after a string of disappointment in plot developments from various series like IS and some others, I'm now wary of any titles from MF Bunko J... >.>

I guess I'll just stick to Dengeki Bunko titles.
while Dengeki Bunko has the largest number of publications, it doesn't mean that other bunko doesn't publish popular LNs or have hidden gems (which pure harem or moe fanseekers don't read).
going by Kono Light novel (which is popularity based polls), the rankings are:
1. Dengeki
2. MF J
3. Famitsu
4. Dengeki
5. Super Dash
6. Famitsu
7. Fujimi Shobou
8. Dengeki
9. Dengeki
10. Dengeki

Dengeki has high numbers in the 60 ranked simply because it has way more titles than others. It's a numbers game. Fujimi Shobou is a big contender in fantasy series. Outside of those in top 10, we still have Sneaker, HJ, GA, among others that have some great and some decent titles, albeit niche for a few. And yes, Haganai from MF holds high promise of not becoming a train wreck.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 09:56   Link #1946
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

I think the part that annoyed me the most while translating this was the unceasing misuse of foreign languages.

I actually really enjoyed this novel...up until the prologue ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Just because HnA is spiralling downwards into a pit of WTF that only Double A is worth reading now doesn't mean MF Bunko sucks...
AA is pretty good.

The art's improved too, I think.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 10:01   Link #1947
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
unceasing misuse of foreign languages
All I know is Holmes, which is pronounced by French Riko as "all-mess".
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 10:03   Link #1948
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

It was mostly the Chinese that got to me.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Old 2011-10-23, 11:25   Link #1949
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

unceasing misuse of foreign languages

Ranked right behind people that utterly refuse to use proper grammar/syntax/sentence structure/spelling, on my list of pet peeves.
Old 2011-10-23, 17:18   Link #1950
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Dood.....HAGANAI!!!
Maahhh~ I have issues with the character and plot development of that one as well

Quote:
I didn't say that, I'm just saying that I'm wary of their titles.

They have a good start but a weak follow up.

(Disclaimer: I'm aware that the only ones I know of are the ones that have Animes, I'm simply stating my observation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
while Dengeki Bunko has the largest number of publications, it doesn't mean that other bunko doesn't publish popular LNs or have hidden gems (which pure harem or moe fanseekers don't read).

Yes I do know that other publications have their own big titles like BakaTest, Haruhi, Bungaku Shōjo, Seitokai no Ichizon, Monogatari and now Haganai, I just feel that the Dengeki Bunko titles appeal to me better than MF Bunko's especially in the realm of RomCom- even the little ones like Denpa Onna and this season's C3 have elements that make them stand out better than say MM!! or Mayo Chiki.

With the exception of Roli-Kon-Basketball

(Disclaimer: I'm aware that the only ones I know of are the ones that have Animes, I'm simply stating my observation)

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-10-23 at 17:29.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 08:56   Link #1951
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Quote:
Originally Posted by HashiriyaR32 View Post
Ranked right behind people that utterly refuse to use proper grammar/syntax/sentence structure/spelling, on my list of pet peeves.
Take it up with Shakespeare before you complain to me about abnormal (?) syntax.

Also, if you're referring to me, I'd be happy to fix any grammar or spelling mistakes.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Old 2011-10-24, 09:13   Link #1952
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Nonono, I'm most definitely NOT referring to you. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding because of what I posted.
Old 2011-10-24, 09:18   Link #1953
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Ah, I'm sorry. It's just that I use a lot of ****** up syntax, and I'm one hell of a bitch about it, but you can change that if you feel it messes up the flow of the writing.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Old 2011-10-25, 09:20   Link #1954
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

Yes I do know that other publications have their own big titles like BakaTest, Haruhi, Bungaku Shōjo, Seitokai no Ichizon, Monogatari and now Haganai, I just feel that the Dengeki Bunko titles appeal to me better than MF Bunko's especially in the realm of RomCom- even the little ones like Denpa Onna and this season's C3 have elements that make them stand out better than say MM!! or Mayo Chiki.
Heh...I prefer Dengeki Bunko stuff to be honest; most of the stuff I read comes from there. Although Fujimi Shobou is a serious contender too.

Quote:
AA is pretty good.

The art's improved too, I think.
AA is pretty good exactly because it keeps to the original appeal of HnA; IE the character focus of the plot.....not current novel volumes where weird shit get thrown in left and right until its one giant mess. Mess because it isn't executed well.
Old 2011-10-25, 10:16   Link #1955
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Quote:
AA is pretty good exactly because it keeps to the original appeal of HnA; IE the character focus of the plot.....not current novel volumes where weird shit get thrown in left and right until its one giant mess. Mess because it isn't executed well.
I completely agree.

Akamatsu-sensei needs to get his shit together, (he's doing a pretty good job of writing for AA though.)

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Old 2011-10-26, 00:57   Link #1956
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Maahhh~ I have issues with the character and plot development of that one as well

I didn't say that, I'm just saying that I'm wary of their titles.

They have a good start but a weak follow up.

With the exception of Roli-Kon-Basketball

Mm wasn' bad you know. It has a protagonist that dare to move relationship forward, who's also not an idiot who misunderstand straight confession like other harem protagonist, and two straightforward heroines that dare to be proactive against the usual dense protagonist instead of dancing around th issues. Well, the amount of physical abuse in it is a little concerning though, but it was quite good as far as harem comedy involved. Too bad the author pass away.

Back to the topic, i agree that hna is spiraling downward along with the protagonist's rise in uselessness, very much like IS. A shame, since it has so much potentia back then.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 05:21   Link #1957
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Back to the topic, i agree that hna is spiraling downward along with the protagonist's rise in uselessness, very much like IS. A shame, since it has so much potentia back then.
IS too is a lost potential but I still think Ichika's weapon are hax. Look at her big sister. She dominates the world with only a sword. The problem is the pilot I still love IS cast minus the MC.

The problem here in HnA. No matter how hax Hysteria mode is. Bullet can't pass through wall of fire or ice or even hit shadows
Old 2011-10-26, 08:21   Link #1958
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Mm wasn' bad you know. It has a protagonist that dare to move relationship forward, who's also not an idiot who misunderstand straight confession like other harem protagonist, and two straightforward heroines that dare to be proactive against the usual dense protagonist instead of dancing around th issues. Well, the amount of physical abuse in it is a little concerning though, but it was quite good as far as harem comedy involved. Too bad the author pass away.
MM's story is good while (the Anime) lasted, there were some issues but I've let worse things slide before. The thing is it doesn't have lasting appeal for me in the sense that once the show was over, I wasn't eager to hunt for more.

But then again, alot of these 1 cour adaptations ends that way for me.

My point is... Nothing, I'm just ranting

Quote:
I did tell a friend of mine before that stories like IS and HnA, you can see the potential slowly dripping away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
IS too is a lost potential but I still think Ichika's weapon are hax. Look at her big sister. She dominates the world with only a sword. The problem is the pilot I still love IS cast minus the MC.

The problem here in HnA. No matter how hax Hysteria mode is. Bullet can't pass through wall of fire or ice or even hit shadows
Well to me, IS and HnA have the same problem story-wise in that the 'Law' of the settings severely restricts alot of potential from the get-go.

The easiest example is the Borderline Impractical Butei Laws for HnA, and the girls-only-club for IS... Actually, the number restrict kinda puts a damper on things as well...

Then again, maybe that's just my gamer-side talking... But still, I prefer a RomCom in a serious business, then a serious business in a RomCom.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 10:27   Link #1959
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

My qualms with both series? Everything gets stronger around the protagonist while the protagonist himself reduced from someone with potential to be great into a dunce who can't do anything but watch the girls fight. I happen to like a hero who's a badass. Denseness doesn't bother me, but being a weakling does. Someone like Sagara from FMP or Touma from Index is the kind of harem protagonist I like(well, FMP's technically not a harem since only 2 girls like him, but it fulfill all the requirement with protagonist who's dense as a log and 2 girls who can't straightforwardly said they like the protagonist, at least until the plot moves forward).

IS used to be good since Ichika has a great potential to be bad-ass with a "black-horse" type of IS, but he's been reduced into spectator in later volume, just like Kinji in HnA(the HSS used to be so bad-ass ><).
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 12:42   Link #1960
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Quote:
(the HSS used to be so bad-ass ><).
Reminisce about the bygone days~~

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・

Tags
action, detectives, guns, harem, lolis, mf bunko j, romance, shounen