AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-01-10, 13:45   Link #1
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

2012 Academy Awards

2012 Academy Award Nominations

I'm thrilled that the Academy, unlike the Golden Globe voters, did not snub Beasts of the Southern Wild nor its remarkable young star Quvenzhané Wallis. Now let's see if they have the guts to vote for a performance by a then six-year-old girl (now nine) as Best Actress.

Waliis, at 9 years and 135 days old today, is a few months older than Jackie Cooper was when he was nominated for Best Actor in 1931's Skippy. Justin Henry was even younger when he was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in 1979's Kramer vs. Kramer. The youngest winner of a Best award is, of course, Tatum O'Neal who won Best Supporting Actress at ten for her work alongside her father Ryan in Peter Bogdanovich's cunning look at Depression America, Paper Moon. The youngest Best Actress winner is Marlee Matlin who was nearly 22 when she won the award for her performance in the 1986 film Children of a Lesser God. The youngest Best Actor winner is fully seven years older than that, Adrien Brody for 2002's The Pianist.

Along with the youngest Best Actress nominee this year we also have the oldest ever nominee for the award, 85-year-old Emmanuelle Riva who appears in Amour. Riva is fully five years older than Jessica Tandy was when she was nominated and won the Best Actress award for her performance in 1989's Driving Miss Daisy.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-01-10 at 13:56.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 13:56   Link #2
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Lincoln, Lincoln, Lincoln! I don't know why but I have a soft spot for those kinds of movies .. That reminds me, I still have to go see the Iron Lady!
Old 2013-01-11, 08:46   Link #3
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I'm stunned that Ben Affleck did not get a nomination for Best Actor. I think Daniel Day-Lewis should win, anyway, but I think Affleck should've received a nomination...

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 15:41   Link #4
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I'm stunned that Ben Affleck did not get a nomination for Best Actor. I think Daniel Day-Lewis should win, anyway, but I think Affleck should've received a nomination...
I don/t think Affleck was good enough to get a best actor nomination, But damn if he wasn't snubbed on the best director nomination. The worst, of course, was Kathryn Bigelow's clearly misinformed political snub for Best director for one of the better films of the year Zero Dark Thirty. And she's just one of many names left off the list that deserved a nomination, especially over David O. Russel's underwhelming Silver Lining Playbook (how the hell did this too conventional horrifically simplistic (after the first act) film sweep all the major nominations?), Benh Zeitlin's wildly uneven Beasts of the Southern Wild (still a very good film, but the direction was too earnest and overwrought) or Michael Haneke's extremely conventional Amour (which is a beautiful film, but nowhere near Haneke's strange genius).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 20:41   Link #5
Kirarakim

I have not seen any movies that were nominated this year (but then I don't think I went to the movies this year, no time)

I want to see Amour it's coming to my art house theater Jan 25 so I will try to make the time for it.

I think Lincoln might be the favorite to win. It becomes easier to predict once other awards are announced especially the guild awards.

Two years in a row I saw the Best Picture winner on Christmas but this year I couldn't make it to the movies. I am a bit disappointed by this.
Old 2013-01-11, 20:49   Link #6
james0246

Amour is a truly devastating film. Easily the best non-horror horror film of the year, proving as always that realistic drama is always more horrifying and horrible than the gorest slasher.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote