Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-10-12, 11:52   Link #1
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Yamakan news/Yamamoto

Was hoping there would be a thread about Yamakan but I couldn't find any so I left it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime News Network
On September 30, Shueisha's Ultra Jump Egg website posted an interview with anime director Yutaka Yamamoto, and Yamamoto expressed his desire to deal with the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake (Higashi Nihon Daishinsai) disaster in his next work.

Yamamoto explained that now is the time that anime should commit to reality, and he added that in this moment, anime must reexamine not only human nature and character, but nature and the world as it is. While Yamamoto said that all of his past works have carried an awareness of issues and faith, he acknowledged that anime have leaned towards fantasy and escapism.

However, Yamamoto argued that now is exactly when we cannot look for a world removed from reality through anime. He notes that anime must naturally handle this issue delicately. He needs to think about how to do this, but said that to do so would be a breakthrough lifework for himself and breakthrough work for anime in general.

Yamamoto's directorial credits include Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens and parts of The Melancholy Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star. He also founded the anime studio Ordet, where he oversaw the Fractale anime series. In addition to his anime work, he directed the live-action film Watashi no Yasashikunai Sempai (My Unkind Upperclassman).

When Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara commented in March that the tsunami was "divine punishment" for Japan's "selfishness," Yamamoto responded by saying that no divine punishment would indiscriminately affect innocent people. He added that Ishihara was not qualified to characterize Japan. Ishihara later apologized for his comment.

Yamamoto joined anime fans and itasha (decorated car) owners in going to offer relief aid to Shichigahama, the tsunami-devastated hometown of Kannagi manga creator Eri Takenashi. (The town and the local Hanabushi shrine inspired the backdrop seen in the anime.)
Ref: Source
Old 2011-10-12, 12:49   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Was hoping there would be a thread about Yamakan but I couldn't find any so I left it here.

Ref: Source
No, thanks for the report. Nice to hear he took a hand in helping "Nagi's home town" out as well. I like his comments about what the community goals of anime should be. You can entertain while putting some brakes on the reality disconnection some of these otaku vector towards. And, of course, Ishi-baka has a long long record of spouting crap, much of which he has to apologize for later.
Old 2011-10-12, 13:07   Link #3
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

He's already unpopular... but not enough to make him lose.

Ishihara made that statement, took it back, and reworded it the same way.

Back to topic: I'm sure it'll be an anime but.... I think Yamakan was joking around (about quitting if Fractale fails) or it's Sankaku Complex rumor...
Old 2011-10-12, 13:16   Link #4
bayoab

Quote:
Back to topic: I'm sure it'll be an anime but.... I think Yamakan was joking around (about quitting if Fractale fails) or it's Sankaku Complex rumor...
No, he made made that comment. It was never clear how serious he was about it though as he kept saying it as if it was serious and then making comments as if it was meant to be a joke all along.

And he had talked about this idea previously at Nan Desu Kan as part of the first question.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 13:17   Link #5
TJR

Quote:
I think Yamakan was joking around (about quitting if Fractale fails)
It was a publicity stunt.....which no one should've taken at face value. Presumably, he didn't expect Fractale to be unpopular either.

Anyway, common sense dictates that he's unlikely to quit anime unless he gets lucrative offers from other fields, such as the film industry.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 14:07   Link #6
Bri

Quote:
Yamamoto explained that now is the time that anime should commit to reality, and he added that in this moment, anime must reexamine not only human nature and character, but nature and the world as it is. While Yamamoto said that all of his past works have carried an awareness of issues and faith, he acknowledged that anime have leaned towards fantasy and escapism.

However, Yamamoto argued that now is exactly when we cannot look for a world removed from reality through anime. He notes that anime must naturally handle this issue delicately. He needs to think about how to do this, but said that to do so would be a breakthrough lifework for himself and breakthrough work for anime in general.
I don't see the point for greater realism in anime. The key strenght of the medium is that it allows a fimmaker to express himself in images that would not be possible or too expensive with conventional means. If you want greater realism then switch to live action.

Animation which is not just entertainment, contains a message or shows social awareness are not exactly a new thing either (Miyazaki etc). Difference is that it usually involves animated movies for (arthouse) cinema, not late night TV. Excluding noitamina, late night shows are dominated by escapist material. I wonder if Yamatokan can really find a market for TV anime that does something other then to provide the viewer with a shot of animated prozac (unless he plans to start making low budget movies like Makoto Shinkai) .
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 14:29   Link #7
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Is there any reason for anime to be produced about the disaster? I'd think that anyone over there can flip to a news channel and still find some melancholy programming about the disaster or survivors.

edit:Misread the report.

Last edited by Decagon; 2011-10-12 at 20:04. Reason: ignore the strikeout
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 17:28   Link #8
Kirarakim

There also was a recent anime on an Earthquake: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Granted I did not watch it so I don't know how realistic it really was but besides the fact that it will be an anime on a recent event I don' see it as something extremely new.

If Yamakan wants to make so called "better" anime then just make his better anime. There is no need for all this advertising about it. Although maybe all this call for attention is the point. He knows no one probably will care otherwise.
Old 2011-10-12, 19:56   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't think he was speaking about anime with *content* about the disaster.... just that anime should start providing content with some grounding and complexity. You can have fantasy and elements of escapism ... but past a certain point and you're basically just aiding a spiral into oblivion rather than trying to improve reality. There have been plenty of series that project positive messages -even when they're in fantastic settings (working together, treating people nicely, being tolerant of people who are different, etc), but there could be more.
Old 2011-10-12, 21:17   Link #10
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Oh I thought he will make a new work (anime) about the earthquake and tsunami (or possibly the nuclear reactor meltdown): his desire to deal with the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake (Higashi Nihon Daishinsai) disaster in his next work.
Old 2011-10-12, 21:32   Link #11
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Didn't he know what happened to Coppelion?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 22:05   Link #12
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Didn't he know what happened to Coppelion?
But that was grounded in fantasy and hit too close to reality. He intends to create something grounded close to reality. Think along the lines of Graveyard of the Fireflies (but who knows if it actually will be about hope or despair or what).
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 22:07   Link #13
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Ok, so this is hurting the hearts of many to earn an income.
Such a brave gamble from Yamakan.

EDIT: I'm sorry, but I don't think that doing such a project is just exploiting the emotional burdens of the victims of the Tohoku Earthquake, and they do not deserve that. There's just so many killed by the earthquake and tsunami, plus Fukushima is still inhospitable due to radiation from the nuclear power plant.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2011-10-13, 15:09   Link #14
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Sample comments about Yamakan 2ch is getting him hard.

And the interview (in Japanese.... but text is Adobe Flash)
Old 2011-10-13, 15:34   Link #15
Roj
Anime

I think that Yakaman should do what he wants because he's Yakaman.
Roj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 19:09   Link #16
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I don't think so, especially when money is more important. A multi-million yen project getting 883 copies sales is NOT what you want saving anime.

Old 2011-10-16, 22:53   Link #17
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roj View Post
No... not if it's like Fractale.
Old 2011-10-16, 23:12   Link #18
cyth
Banned

I remember tweeting Yamakan a few months back, and I was all like "nooo, don't quit dude ;_;" and he was like "meh, we'll see."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Animation which is not just entertainment, contains a message or shows social awareness are not exactly a new thing either (Miyazaki etc). Difference is that it usually involves animated movies for (arthouse) cinema, not late night TV. Excluding noitamina, late night shows are dominated by escapist material. I wonder if Yamatokan can really find a market for TV anime that does something other then to provide the viewer with a shot of animated prozac (unless he plans to start making low budget movies like Makoto Shinkai) .
But Shinkai has the exact same problem as the rest of the late-night anime industry, which produces anime for the self-centered mind, sekai-kei anime (you know this term). Yamakan's been very vocal about sekai-kei and ketsudan-shugi, this is why he likes Madoka and Miyazaki movies because they supposedly escape these notions. Just remember Hoshi no Koe or 5 cm/s or Kumo no Mukou - these are all works in which the protagonist only cares about what happens to him and the person he loves - this is what "escapist" anime means in Japan in context.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 05:33   Link #19
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I remember tweeting Yamakan a few months back, and I was all like "nooo, don't quit dude ;_;" and he was like "meh, we'll see."

But Shinkai has the exact same problem as the rest of the late-night anime industry, which produces anime for the self-centered mind, sekai-kei anime (you know this term). Yamakan's been very vocal about sekai-kei and ketsudan-shugi, this is why he likes Madoka and Miyazaki movies because they supposedly escape these notions. Just remember Hoshi no Koe or 5 cm/s or Kumo no Mukou - these are all works in which the protagonist only cares about what happens to him and the person he loves - this is what "escapist" anime means in Japan in context.
I was refering to Shinkai's production process and distribution channels which, in theory, give him more creative freedom then anyone making anime for the late-night market. He still produces seikai-kei anime, but that may be just his personal choice rather then necessity.

Fans that seek out escapist material, whether it's seikai-kei or moe-kei, may not like being lectured. Recent shows like Madoka and Ano Hana that have played with the selfish/self centered mindset of the viewer, were been quite restrained and subtle in their critisism. While I sympathise with Yamakan's position, I think he is too outspoken/direct to pull off the same thing. I think he will have a better chance at getting his point across with a more mainstream audience, hence going the cinematic route.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 06:53   Link #20
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Yamakan before Fractale: Fuuuuu Yeah! You're so awesome make more animu.

Yamakan after Fractale: Please retire or something.

To be fair I did absolutely love Kannagi.