Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh
I agree with OrcHunter and Sonhex.
Niamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 17:15   Link #102
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
Yes Zed is an asshole, but the adults must share the blame for his deliquency. An absent father, a deranged homicidal jelly-fish obsessed mother and an oppressive society to which Zed (like most teenagers) is forced to confirm without being understood. No wonder he's violent and sullen.
Agree. That, and also the fact that the only friend he seems to have doesn't exactly look like he'll last long.
Quote:
Even in Tempula, the adults just make things worse. Jikko does the worst possible thing - gives Zed a sword and sends him on his merry way. Some wise man he. Actually, that's just bad writing more than anything else...
Hmm, I doubt Jikko actually though giving Zed a sword and a shard was gonna have peaceful results.
neodrag38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 18:45   Link #103
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Jikko is just a little too mellow and seems to figure that things will take care of themselves. Silly man. Well, Zed is doing his best to prove him wrong, I guess... :P
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 20:55   Link #104
Ryoza
Woah ~~ !

Quote:
Even in Tempula, the adults just make things worse. Jikko does the worst possible thing - gives Zed a sword and sends him on his merry way. Some wise man he. Actually, that's just bad writing more than anything else...
You're wrong, it's a typical thing to do when dealing with "stubborn" characters like Zed...the more you lock him up and try to show him the "peaceful" things, the more he rebels..

Jiko did the best possible thing when he gave Zed that sword and shard, so he can figure things out by himself
Ryoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 23:13   Link #105
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoza
You're wrong, it's a typical thing to do when dealing with "stubborn" characters like Zed...the more you lock him up and try to show him the "peaceful" things, the more he rebels..

Jiko did the best possible thing when he gave Zed that sword and shard, so he can figure things out by himself
Right. Give a delinquent a weapon and power and let him 'figure things out by himself'? If people did that in the real world there would be anarchy, not peace. True, the softly softly approach does not work for kids like Zed, but neither does supplying him with arms.

Now what Jiko should have done first is what he eventually did - send Zed to Dumas, for education and training. Keep him out of the town, away from the soldiers, until he'd learnt the basics of Shard Casting and the reality of Tempula.

But again, I think this is bad writing not a treatise on dealing with delinquents in transdimensional realities.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 08:10   Link #106
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
Right. Give a delinquent a weapon and power and let him 'figure things out by himself'? If people did that in the real world there would be anarchy, not peace. True, the softly softly approach does not work for kids like Zed, but neither does supplying him with arms.
Except that real people in the real world that walk around on mass with swords and spiritual beings nor do we really that much of Jikko to say whether or not he did what he did simply out senseless decision making. Much less that what you bring up pretty much does happen in the real world or we wouldn't have the occurence of certain incidents between the involvement of guns and children/teenagers.
Quote:
Now what Jiko should have done first is what he eventually did - send Zed to Dumas, for education and training. Keep him out of the town, away from the soldiers, until he'd learnt the basics of Shard Casting and the reality of Tempula.
Or he can just simply do the more fun thing instead. It remains that Zed wouldn't exactly take orders to the level you suggest so it's possible that the old man decided to go through a different way since when it comes to Zed he isn't exactly unpredictable.
Old 2006-04-21, 15:02   Link #107
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Maybe not but it would still be the 'responsible' thing to do. Although I'm not entirely convinced Jiko can be trusted, which could be why he gave Zed the sword.

Actually it's interesting to contrast Zed, the impulsive hothead, with Miki, the amiable hard working apprentice. Polar opposites sharing similar abilities. They'll probably end up friends, simply because they're so unlike. I'd like to see what Miki can do as a Shard Caster; what his spirit is, if he has one.

Did anyone notice the moon has lights on it? Possible location for Calm? Hmm...
Old 2006-04-21, 15:05   Link #108
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids

Yet again there does seem to be the existence of powerful old men in anime/manga that don't exactly appear "responsible" in the cautious, safe sense. If you think what Jikko did was bad, Netero from HXH makes Jikko look like a saint.
Old 2006-04-21, 19:23   Link #109
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I think Zed in the kind of hero with much potential but through hardships in his life he lacks direction and that which he does direct on is on impulse alone. He doesnt seem to thinking things through and tends to go on instinct which isnt bad but learning when to use it and not are diffrent. I think at this point hes being a spoiled ass hole. He wants to get stronger but doesnt have the passion to ask for help or asked to be trained. I think as the series progresses and he finds out exactly what he wants and what direction to go in hell be one kick ass Shardcaster
Old 2006-04-21, 22:40   Link #110
Ragnarok6502
the apocolips comes

i really like this show at first i thought it was like pokemon but then its like "this is pretty kick @$$"
Ragnarok6502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 22:03   Link #111
wrex_japan

Kiba ep. 4

Episode 4 focuses on Dumas' punishment and the Shardcaster Joust. Summary and pics here.

It's good that some of the battles didn't involve using the spirits... it helped to ease some similarities with pokemon. It was also good to see Zed calm down a bit... he was not as angsty in previous episodes. Ah, and we also see
Spoiler for episode 4:
wrex_japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 22:33   Link #112
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

^ Hah... look at Zed... his angsty .. what could be more angsty option then to have that happened? It definitely will
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 04:42   Link #113
Grave

Noah is definitely gonna be Zed enemies...
is one of those anime where the best friend turn out to be bad...

oh well cant wait for kiba 04 ^_^
Grave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 23:55   Link #114
iceyfw

anyone notice zeds sprit acts like charizard?

and we learn there is a squirtle look-a-like in the series.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 00:03   Link #115
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

LOL at Mikki spirit.. So cute =3 and dumb
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 07:55   Link #116
Winchester

I heard the word "joust" and thought "there goes another show down the road of one fight per ep ad nauseum", just like MAR, DBZ, FoR, etc. Fortunately, I finished watching the episode, and was *I* pleasantly surprised!

Ten minutes for the whole tournament, not including the final. No ranting from the main characters about how important their convicitions were, no drawn-out stalemates, no canned transformation sequences, no miraculous recoveries. no silly drawn out attack sequences, no showcasing the throwaway characters.

PERFECT.

I can't wait until next week....

SP
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 18:32   Link #117
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I agree completely, Winchester. The speed with which the tournament was carried out was very gratifying, compared to other series of this type. And the animation quality continues to be high, which I found surprising.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 21:25   Link #118
wrex_japan

Kiba ep. 5

The winner of the Joust
Spoiler:

This episode has a different tone, as it focuses on Noah's story. Click here if you wanna see screenshots and the spoiler summary.
wrex_japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 12:08   Link #119
Sweetchinmusic

Ive only seen the first 2 episodes, but im liking this Anime already. Dont know why it but it has a kinda Yu-Gi-Oh feel to it lol.

Though it is getting exciting. Kinda hard to get into it at the start as there isnt really any formal introductions but its getting better.
Sweetchinmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 14:21   Link #120
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrex_japan
The winner of the Joust
Spoiler:

This episode has a different tone, as it focuses on Noah's story. Click here if you wanna see screenshots and the spoiler summary.
Spoiler for ep5:

With all the various locations we could do with a map to see just how big this other world is.