AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-07-05, 19:34   Link #61
MCAL

Plus, its nice to see all the hints that you didn't notice before of which there were a few.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-05, 22:51   Link #62
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
Plus, its nice to see all the hints that you didn't notice before of which there were a few.
Yeah, it makes watching this and Fruits Basket really fun, but I also just have to be really careful what I talk about .
Old 2019-07-06, 10:31   Link #63
Irenesharda

That was way more interesting than the PV led it to be. Some of the kids get on my nerves, but the plot and character dynamics could get interesting. I'm up for it. It's the most interesting premiere I've seen so far.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 10:34   Link #64
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
That was way more interesting than the PV led it to be. Some of the kids get on my nerves, but the plot and character dynamics could get interesting. I'm up for it. It's the most interesting premiere I've seen so far.
It might be the season of survival. The most interesting premieres for me were this and Sounan desu ka.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 11:35   Link #65
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
Heck, I already thought of the stars hopping idea and waited for one of the characters to come up with it, doesn't matter who. It's not a big deal. Main girl is fine. She has the cheerfulness that hold everyone together. That's good enough for now. No one needs to stand out too much. Level the field is fine too.
The subs I had weren't the best but are they hopping from planet to planet rather than star to star? I don't think they would get much in terms of food and water from stars.

I think each character stood out enough that you know what archetype they are supposed to represent. Practically every single character is a walking cliche for now. Aries is the ditzy, upbeat female, Kanata is the goofy, yet heroic leader, Zack is the cool, smart guy with glasses, Ulgar is the emo loner who has a soft heart and is smart in his own right, Funicia is the cute loli, Yunhua is the big-boobed, shy introvert, Charce is the only slightly bright, but also comedic bishonen, Luca is the idiot with a little heart and charm, and Q-girl (she has the hardest name to remember by far!) is a stuck up rich girl who has family issues.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2019-07-06, 11:36   Link #66
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It might be the season of survival. The most interesting premieres for me were this and Sounan desu ka.
And 7Seeds was also released on Netflix, I believe .
Old 2019-07-06, 15:04   Link #67
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
The subs I had weren't the best but are they hopping from planet to planet rather than star to star? I don't think they would get much in terms of food and water from stars.
I'm assuming them saying they'll skip from hoshi to hoshi is the source of confusion.

Despite what a lot of dictionaries say, hoshi doesn't just mean star. Yes most of the time when it's used it means star, but in actuality it stands for "any bright astronomical object other than sun and the Moon" which includes planets too so hoshi can mean planet too.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 15:39   Link #68
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Exoplanets aren't exactly bright, are they?

But does it even matter even if they said star? There isn't a significant difference in distance between two planets in different systems and the distance between their respective primaries. I don't have a problem imagining a people with FTL colloquially using the name of a star to mean the system around the star. And if there's only one planet of interest there, say "I'm going to Star X" when they really mean "I'm going to Planet Y in system X".
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 17:03   Link #69
4th Dimension

Oh they definitely travel between systems, but since you can FTL right up to the planet and pretend the rest of the star system doesn't exist, they are hopping from vaguely habittable planet to the next.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 17:26   Link #70
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

So was anybody else annoyed by the letterboxing? I don't even understand what the purpose of it was and it didn't feel like the art "cinematography" even took it into account so it just felt weird and distracting.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-06, 19:25   Link #71
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
I'm assuming them saying they'll skip from hoshi to hoshi is the source of confusion.

Despite what a lot of dictionaries say, hoshi doesn't just mean star. Yes most of the time when it's used it means star, but in actuality it stands for "any bright astronomical object other than sun and the Moon" which includes planets too so hoshi can mean planet too.
Thanks, I do remember that in Japanese their names for the planets tend to call all the planets "stars". Like Mars is "fire star".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Exoplanets aren't exactly bright, are they?

But does it even matter even if they said star? There isn't a significant difference in distance between two planets in different systems and the distance between their respective primaries. I don't have a problem imagining a people with FTL colloquially using the name of a star to mean the system around the star. And if there's only one planet of interest there, say "I'm going to Star X" when they really mean "I'm going to Planet Y in system X".
I misjudged the distance of a light year. I was thinking they were traveling the planets of a single system. But yeah, it is definitely several systems.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2019-07-06, 20:43   Link #72
Calca
Expressionless

Per aspera ad astra is the state motto of Kansas so I knew exactly where that came from.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-07, 19:44   Link #73
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

We first had lost in space in the 60s, followed by a movie remake in the 90s, then the ongoing netflix series and now in anime form

But when I think about it, this isn't lost in space at all, since they're not stranded, this is star trek voyager! Only instead of 75 years or so they have 3 months at max warp to get back.

2063AD and they already have FTL capabilities, ships that get fuel from the vacuum of space and boob fitting space suits. Nice, they must've had iphones in the 1800s in this timeline

Still, it's pretty convenient for them to be transported by what seemed to be a random space phenomenon into space, but very near a functional but abandoned ship, and the orb was even kind enough to gobble up their luggage with them

Last edited by frodonk; 2019-07-07 at 19:54.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-08, 13:35   Link #74
SeaDoor

I wonder if this anime is targeted to the folks who are already fans of the source material. Coming in cold to the first episode it just seems to be a collection of cookie cutter characters conveniently thrown into a common plot. Honestly, I was a little disappointed considering the excitement the anime announcement produced. This seems to be isekai but in space.

Think I'll see if I can find the first few chapters of the manga to see if I want to watch this.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-08, 13:58   Link #75
Chosen_Hero

^Not Isekai, just think of this as Sket Dance in space.
Old 2019-07-08, 14:42   Link #76
grecefar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
^Not Isekai, just think of this as Sket Dance in space.
Really? It has that good comedy?
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-08, 14:49   Link #77
James Rye

Nah, Sket Dance had better comedy. At least that is what I think if I compare the two series together.
Old 2019-07-08, 17:20   Link #78
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I’m baffled that anyone could look at this series and come away with “Isekai”. That seems miles off to me.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-08, 17:38   Link #79
Irenesharda

I guess, at its very core, they ARE essentially traveling to "another world", technically, a lot of other worlds...

Sooo, you could say this is sort of the OG isekai in that they are traveling to other worlds using conventional means. But as a genre, no this is not isekai, it's simply good ol' science fiction.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2019-07-08, 18:37   Link #80
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm a big fan of the Sket Dance manga but the comedy was probably the weakest aspect of the first episode for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I’m baffled that anyone could look at this series and come away with “Isekai”. That seems miles off to me.
More like light years.

Tags
sci-fi, spaceship, travel