AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-24, 12:57   Link #1
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Character discussion - Alicia

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Alicia related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Valkyria Chronicles fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode / chapter talk, there are other threads for that stuff.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

• Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-04-24, 13:37   Link #2
Runty

Neat, we now have a place to talk about the leading lady of Valkyria.

Definitely a difference between the game version and the anime version.

Spoiler for Differences:
Old 2009-04-24, 14:07   Link #3
Solecs

Well, I suppose the anime Alicia is alright but I feel like she's kind of too impulsive/forceful at times. That might be because I prefer the game version of her though. I think they've also given her a bit too much of a "kill them all!" persona so far.

Also, from what I understand Edy is supposed to be the trademark tsundere girl so here's hoping we don't get an overload of it.
Old 2009-04-24, 14:14   Link #4
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

As of now, not really any positive thoughts about her. Seems her main attribute is to make strange facial expressions.
Her attitude in the first episode left a somewhat bad impression from me.
Guess we'll see from here...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-04-24, 17:58   Link #5
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I definitely prefer the Alicia from the game to the anime.

She's too aggressive for my liking in the anime. She doesn't seem like she'll have the same weaknesses she did in the game in regards to her character.

Whether or not that is a good thing remains to be seen but I think they should have taken a note out of the manga's version of Alicia.

Spoiler for manga:

Heck, the manga overall crafted a much grimmer, darker sense of war and its effects on people than the game did or the anime so far.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2009-04-24, 18:27   Link #6
holyalexander
holy alexander

well i like both her in game and in anime.. it just makes a twist that i want to watch or play more..
Old 2009-04-25, 05:27   Link #7
reaper_unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runty View Post

Spoiler for Differences:
I donno If you can call her a tsundere, she has her moments but it's not like she is overreacting like say Louise from ZnT who is a 100%tsunderekko.
Old 2009-04-26, 05:17   Link #8
Makku
Suredeath Hellman

I haven't played the game yet, though I plan on doing it sometime in the future. How's her personality in the game? Since I heard it's different from her awful tsundere one in the anime.

Is her obligatory anime stupidity(tm) there in the game as well? "Oh, that guy's sketching some fishes, it must be some secret code and he must be a spy! "
Old 2009-04-26, 06:02   Link #9
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makku View Post
I haven't played the game yet, though I plan on doing it sometime in the future. How's her personality in the game? Since I heard it's different from her awful tsundere one in the anime.

Is her obligatory anime stupidity(tm) there in the game as well? "Oh, that guy's sketching some fishes, it must be some secret code and he must be a spy! "
She follows a similar routine in the game where she claims Welkin is a spy but she soon let's this go when Isara turns up to sort the situation out.

In the game she's very level headed when it comes to combat. During your first encounter she's deadly serious not, "beat them up!"

Regardless I guess it's nice to see a different swing on things but I hope people who go onto play the game after watching the anime don't expect the same character...

Old 2009-04-26, 06:17   Link #10
Makku
Suredeath Hellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
She follows a similar routine in the game where she claims Welkin is a spy but she soon let's this go when Isara turns up to sort the situation out.

In the game she's very level headed when it comes to combat. During your first encounter she's deadly serious not, "beat them up!"
That sounds better than a stereotypical tsundere, thanks.
Old 2009-04-26, 16:33   Link #11
kalbron

She's not a tsundere at all in the game and actually (gasp!) shows signs of intelligence there. She also (gasp!) thinks Welkin is eccentric but intelligent and a good person, not a doormat idiot for her to kick around like in the anime.

Sadly, it seems to be a requirement of anime that the lead female be a stupid tsundere. I've got no idea why, but nothing else explains her total character lobotomy.
Old 2009-04-26, 16:40   Link #12
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

As I mentioned since the 1st episode, they certainly took many liberties with the characters. Alicia in the anime became far more impulsive, hotheaded, violent, energetic and of course, a tsun-tsun-dere-dere.

Although the game version presented Alicia as somewhat of a semi-airhead, she is actually not stupid and level-headed enough to engage in a process called... thinking (gasp). Of course, at the same time, there weren't much of a struggle between her and Welkin in terms of developing their relationship. One can look at them from miles away and convince oneself that they are made for each other.

But, to some, that would be boring to an anime...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-04-27, 19:06   Link #13
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
I've got no idea why, but nothing else explains her total character lobotomy.
The twintails, it has to be the twintails.
Old 2009-04-27, 19:30   Link #14
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
The twintails, it has to be the twintails.
But they already had one of those to play with!
Old 2009-04-27, 21:26   Link #15
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i love her character. her moments like my avatar make her awesome.
Old 2009-04-28, 00:24   Link #16
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Alicia in the anime might be many things, but so far there is little to show her being a tsundere. (And i loathe tsunderes, so would smell one from miles away ). She is most definitely rash and impulsive, overreacts on general basis and doesn't seem to have much going for her in terms of critical thinking capabilities ... but a tsundere she is not. Yet, at the very least - the way she is set up wouldn't surprise me if she does turn out that way along the way, but she is not there yet. Oh well, at least she seems to fulfill her role of making funny facial expressions good enough to keep me entertained
Old 2009-04-28, 00:27   Link #17
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
But they already had one of those to play with!
Mitigating Factor: Alicia is a main character. Plus she has Marina Inoue as a VA.

In all seriousness though, I have to question the director's decision to tweak her character, though I guess it would be more interesting (and fun for the animators to do her facial expressions) if she was more clueless instead of the earnest straight-arrow that people tell me she was in the game.
Old 2009-04-28, 06:40   Link #18
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Alicia in the anime might be many things, but so far there is little to show her being a tsundere. (And i loathe tsunderes, so would smell one from miles away ). She is most definitely rash and impulsive, overreacts on general basis and doesn't seem to have much going for her in terms of critical thinking capabilities ... but a tsundere she is not. Yet, at the very least - the way she is set up wouldn't surprise me if she does turn out that way along the way, but she is not there yet. Oh well, at least she seems to fulfill her role of making funny facial expressions good enough to keep me entertained
The facial expressions were just as fun in the game, believe you me. I'd prefer her to grow up as the anime goes on, though, and it seems like that's well set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Mitigating Factor: Alicia is a main character. Plus she has Marina Inoue as a VA.

In all seriousness though, I have to question the director's decision to tweak her character, though I guess it would be more interesting (and fun for the animators to do her facial expressions) if she was more clueless instead of the earnest straight-arrow that people tell me she was in the game.
They certainly did ramp up the number of instances where her face would be fun. My guess as to why they tweaked the character is to make her growth more obvious; it was a bit of a subtle thing in the game. I like subtle, but that may just be me.

Additionally, who else has Marina Inoue done? Is she famous for Tsundere types?
Old 2009-04-28, 07:15   Link #19
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
The facial expressions were just as fun in the game, believe you me. I'd prefer her to grow up as the anime goes on, though, and it seems like that's well set-up.
Ah, when she pouts.... So damn cute.

I love her serious expressions the most - see avatar - particularly during her Undogeable Shot perk.

I like my women like I like my alcohol, strong. ;D

Old 2009-04-28, 07:24   Link #20
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Ah, when she pouts.... So damn cute.

I love her serious expressions the most - see avatar - particularly during her Undogeable Shot perk.
All of her expressions were/are great. I hope the serious ones as the plot starts to get darker translate well.

Quote:
I like my women like I like my alcohol, strong. ;D
Badass doesn't hurt.